Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550749 times)

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #1100 on: June 06, 2006, 10:26:36 AM »
hey Keith speaking of Ray Mentzer do you remember hearing about him and Rick Valente almost getting into it over a girl, i remember reading about it in Greg Valentino's column in MD?

I think Keith spoke of it in this thread somewhere. After going through the ENTIRE thing yesterday (and loving everyone minute of it) I am just too lazy to find it.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1101 on: June 06, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »
I don't remember if it was Rick or not.  Ray had a few girls problems.  The one I heard the most about was when he held Rachael over his head and was going to throw her off the balcony at some hotel. 

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #1102 on: June 06, 2006, 12:25:58 PM »
I don't remember if it was Rick or not.  Ray had a few girls problems.  The one I heard the most about was when he held Rachael over his head and was going to throw her off the balcony at some hotel. 
damn Keith, tell us that one.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #1103 on: June 06, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »
damn Keith, tell us that one.
Ya, that would be worth hearing. I'll forgo sarcasm's clumsy attempts at sincerity, by leaving  Keith's name out of each sentence. ;)

bicepsforyou

• Getbig II
« Reply #1104 on: September 12, 2006, 11:37:16 AM »
When I was swimming naked with my girl and the cops told us to get out and he was laughing his ass off.
"Mystery Is Life"

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1105 on: December 15, 2006, 07:00:57 AM »
I just finished reading this entire thread, and its AWESOME!

Onlyme, Stuntmovie, Maxrep, Bix, 619rules, knny187, and others, many thanks for educational, insightful, entertaining, and respectful(diplomatic) posts, pics and comments you guys put up with the modesty of true experienced iron veterans.

But, please, dont stop now!

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #1106 on: December 23, 2006, 10:36:45 AM »
Wes, you got three right. Good going! I won't tell you which ones yet cause I might mess it up for the others who may want to give it a try.

WAS ANYONE AT THE FOLLOWING EVENT?

Back in the early 70's, there was an IFBB contest promoted in Tiajuana. Since it was right across the boarder in one of TJ.'s finer hotels, a lot of California fans drove down to watch.

It must have been an amateur event because Bob Birdsong won the overall that year, and deservedly so. He was in the best shape of his short career in that contest.

But Bob is not the subject of this story, so let's skip over to the back of the room where Sergio Oliva is sitting on a table yelling at Joe Weider who was right up front sitting with the officials and Arnold and Franco flanking both his sides.

Whenever there was a lull in the contest, Sergio would break the silence with an odd sounding voice ........ "I'm here in the back challenging Arnold to get up there on that stage with me today!"

He was all business and dead serious and the front table did their best to ignore the voice coming from the back.

So this went on for an hour or so ........ strange voice from a bodybuilder already well known in the back and complete avoidance from the table up front.

Finally something had to be done to shut him up so Joe Weider stood up and addressed the crowd but not directly to the strange voice in the back.

"Arnold is not going to accept a challenge today!" followed by some flimsey excuse of some sort or another.

So, as any crowd usually does whenever Joe Weider takes the floor to speak, the fans started booing and hissing and making Joe take his seat more quickly than he usually does.

So, what happens next??!

Franco hops up to quiet the crowd and announces that he will accept Sergio;s challange, but that didn't seem to satisfy too many people and definitely not Sergio.

But when everyone saw that Arnold was not going to give in, the crown offered one more major "booooooo" and gradually quieted down to see if this would be agreeable with Sergio.

Sergio was pissed but with a few unkind words directed at Joe and Arnold he eventually agreed to meet Franco up there on that stage whenever Franco  felt he was ready, Sergio would just stay where he was and would go on stage whenever Franco was willing to be annihilated by The Myth.

So the crowd settled back and waited.  while the rest of the show went on.

About an hour later, Franco and Arnold went backstage to pump up while Sergio waited patiently.

And then Franco was ready and came on stage looking far less than his best but ready to give his best for his faithful sidekick.

From the back Sergio yelled something like, "Are you ready"" and slowly walked up the aisle while removing his shirt revealing a contest ready form prepared  to do battle against  anyone willing to accept the challenge. Today it would be Franco, Second best would have to do!

All eyes stayed on Sergio those next few minutes. He was definitely unbelieveable and unbeatable even if  Franco had been  his best.

And many felt that Arnold and Joe had made a wise decision. Sergio would have made him look damn bad as well!

I don't recall seeing Arnold in the room after that humbling experience.

In fact I think Weider took a short-cut too.

After that contest we headed into town to visit the local pharmacies to load up on gear but everyone was out of everything they had because "There must be some major bodybuilding contest in town! Come back next week, Come back next week!

So we crossed the boarder empty handed but with a pretty good story to tell the guys in the gym who didn't come to TJ town that weekend.

Man, that was a classic. Sergio was the man. You don't hear about things like that these days. The bodybuilders need to get some balls and make things exciting. From what I hear, the old days were the best.

ramazon

• Getbig III
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #1107 on: January 15, 2007, 12:32:14 AM »
I cant believe you guys know Don Ross......and that shevick shit-he was doing that when I met the guy in 1979. I cant believe Onlyme did a commercial with Ross. The first gym I joined was Clancy Ross's Mr America gym in Walnut Creek. Clancy had Don as manager (no relation). Clancy is one of the pioneers of BBing, having won the 1945 Mr. America, and Clancy beat Steve Reeves twice in competition.

Now Don, I dont know if he was an idiot or it was all just an act-but he was such a goof ball everyone got tired of him at the gym and Clancy fired him. Arnold would not let Don compete in the 1979 Mr Olympia contest (IFBB, Show /Arnold as promoter and Don was from Dan Luries WBBG), and Don was pissed off about that. Don was able to go in a few IFBB shows, but his career was winding down and he did poorly. He was always calling gay guys the  shevick line.

Don then went over to a huge hardcore gym that had just opened in Oakland in 1980 called the Olympia Gym and was manager there until it was closed by the IRS in 1981-now it is a Gold's Gym. But Don Ross was a charachter to say the least. His line used to be "I have to take 3 dbol a day b/c I compete against the best BBers in the world". Don was from Detroit and started training at the orginal Powerhouse Gym in Highland Park, Detroit-run by the Dabish brothers.....Tom Platz was also from Detroit and reallly looked up to Don Ross, Tom said his training heavy and with super intensity came from Ross.

I have to say I was very surprised when Don had the big heart attack-about 10 years ago and died-he was in his 50's and in decent shape........
He died while training for the Master's O. Weider had extended a special invitation to him to compete, so Don went at it in his typical Ripper mode: savage INTENSITY.  He was NOT crazy; he was expressive, comedic and FUN, kind and courageous.  He conversed in the gym the way y'all do on these boards.  No topic was off limitis, and there was always a crowd around him egging him on, enjoying his imitations, stories and insights. At age 8 he was reading and quoting Shakespeare. There was no one more devoted to BB, nor anyone who extracted more pleasure from the craft.  When he died, Arnold even called me to share his sorrow. He enjoyed Don.  Although his energy might have you running for cover in the beginning, Don would eventually seduce you, most often with humour.  Within a week, you'd be talking--and training--JUST like the Ripper. ("That's right, baby", I can hear him say from the Other Side.)  Regardless if you WERE a Schmevik.

stilltrainin

• Getbig I
« Reply #1108 on: January 17, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »
Talking about Ben Poda,if thats the same Ben that trained at Golds San Diego in the 80's,he truly was a nut.One time he freaked out at his house and the police were called,Ben ended up running through a plate glass window and was very -cut up- for awhile.He was definitly a little different.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1109 on: January 17, 2007, 01:36:38 PM »
Been awhile since a good story was here.  Thanks Teagan for the Don story, I just read it can't believe I missed it.  The few times I met Don and worked with him on the Gillette commercial was so much fun.  I'll never forget us shaving our heads so we looked like physco's and at lunch him demanding steak and if we didn't get it we would not finish the commercial.  The director came up to me to tell me to talk to Don and settle him down.  He was so funny.  I wish I could have seen him again and wish we could have got together for that article.

stilltrainin

• Getbig I
« Reply #1110 on: January 24, 2007, 10:49:02 AM »
Hey Onlyme, I lived and trained in honolulu in 73,74 and 75 and 79.the y.m.c.a. across from Ala Moana shopping center.Had some big boys there,a big tongan powerlifter named Philips, I believe.Also, a guy with 20.5 inch arms named Gil Bayless, super nice guy.All the pro wrestlers would train there while in town,super star Billy Graham and others.John Matuzack was training there one day, kind of a jerk.We were arguing about who could beat George Foreman and he says,me.Saw him walking down Kalakaua later that night with his shirt tied up under his pecs to show his abs,looked kind of swishy.Most of the heavy lifters trained at Nuuanu Y,but we had our share.Is Tommy Kono still around?there was another gym in a strip mall type place,I think it was Deans,also,a former Mr. America named Leong had a tiny gym downtown.Boy,sure brings back memories,in 1980 I ended up at Golds S.D.I knew all the principals involved in that gym,from Edney to Rick Stephenson,Steve Henneberry,Pat Dillon e.t.c. Hey 619,you described that Russian olypic set in the gym.I set the gym record with that set in the incline,45 degree angle,I did 348,srict,weighing 198,drug free.Remember the board on the wall with all the gym records?God,im starting to feel old.

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #1111 on: January 25, 2007, 01:27:12 PM »
Been awhile since a good story was here.  Thanks Teagan for the Don story, I just read it can't believe I missed it.  The few times I met Don and worked with him on the Gillette commercial was so much fun.  I'll never forget us shaving our heads so we looked like physco's and at lunch him demanding steak and if we didn't get it we would not finish the commercial.  The director came up to me to tell me to talk to Don and settle him down.  He was so funny.  I wish I could have seen him again and wish we could have got together for that article.
My pleasure, Mr. O.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1112 on: January 25, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »
Hey Onlyme, I lived and trained in honolulu in 73,74 and 75 and 79.the y.m.c.a. across from Ala Moana shopping center.Had some big boys there,a big tongan powerlifter named Philips, I believe.Also, a guy with 20.5 inch arms named Gil Bayless, super nice guy.All the pro wrestlers would train there while in town,super star Billy Graham and others.John Matuzack was training there one day, kind of a jerk.We were arguing about who could beat George Foreman and he says,me.Saw him walking down Kalakaua later that night with his shirt tied up under his pecs to show his abs,looked kind of swishy.Most of the heavy lifters trained at Nuuanu Y,but we had our share.Is Tommy Kono still around?there was another gym in a strip mall type place,I think it was Deans,also,a former Mr. America named Leong had a tiny gym downtown.Boy,sure brings back memories,in 1980 I ended up at Golds S.D.I knew all the principals involved in that gym,from Edney to Rick Stephenson,Steve Henneberry,Pat Dillon e.t.c. Hey 619,you described that Russian olypic set in the gym.I set the gym record with that set in the incline,45 degree angle,I did 348,srict,weighing 198,drug free.Remember the board on the wall with all the gym records?God,im starting to feel old.

Those years were before I got there.  I arrived in Honolulu in 89'.  1st day there went to World Gym on the Ala Wai.  I trained at the same Y you did too.  It is on Atkinson.  I redesigned there gym.  It is actually very nice.  Tommy Kono is still around at the Nuuanu Y.  He is still training guys in Olympic lifting.  Timmy Leongs gym is long gone.  I know the tongan guy you are talking about but can't remember his name but I will.  Stuntmovie will know everyone and anyone you mention from back then.  Wait till he reads this.  Just a shot in the dark.  DId you knw a girl at the Golds in SD named Kim Grady.  Very pretty and blind who liked the gym.  SHe was very friendly and nice to everyone.  I filmed a movie down in Mission Bay back in 1987 or so, which is where I met her.  Jsut checking.  Thansk

stilltrainin

• Getbig I
« Reply #1113 on: January 27, 2007, 09:16:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply,onlyme.No, I don't remember a Kim Brady,sometimes I would train at another gym in Kearney Mesa,(world or powerhouse), although I pretty much was at gold's P.B. from the beginning to about 92.Speaking of the Ala Wai canal,I lived in a big apartment building on the corner of Kaiulani and the Ala Wai,cars had to be off of the canal by 6:00 a.m. or be towed.I remember running out in my underwear in the morning trying to move my car,ahh, the memories.I used to go out to U.H.to train occasionally,Bill Starr was the strenth coach, he was  big and chisleled then,he bounced at a club on Kaiulani,near where I worked at the Marine Surf.The pro wrestlers stayed there and we would get complaints that they were making too much noise so I would have to go up and tell them to quiet down, they would just open the door and glare at me.Walt chamberlin used to hang out all over Wakiki,I remember him sitting on a barstool in Matteo's resteraunt surounded by young girls,he was always surounded by women and sitting on the barstool he was about six foot five.There was a powerlifter named Joe Mayo who used to go around town telling everyone he was the strongest guy in Honolulu,he was about five eight with a belly and when people didn't believe him he would pull out some article from the paper and show them.Well,i'm rambling, I'd better shut-up.Take care.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1114 on: January 27, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply,onlyme.No, I don't remember a Kim Brady,sometimes I would train at another gym in Kearney Mesa,(world or powerhouse), although I pretty much was at gold's P.B. from the beginning to about 92.Speaking of the Ala Wai canal,I lived in a big apartment building on the corner of Kaiulani and the Ala Wai,cars had to be off of the canal by 6:00 a.m. or be towed.I remember running out in my underwear in the morning trying to move my car,ahh, the memories.I used to go out to U.H.to train occasionally,Bill Starr was the strenth coach, he was  big and chisleled then,he bounced at a club on Kaiulani,near where I worked at the Marine Surf.The pro wrestlers stayed there and we would get complaints that they were making too much noise so I would have to go up and tell them to quiet down, they would just open the door and glare at me.Walt chamberlin used to hang out all over Wakiki,I remember him sitting on a barstool in Matteo's resteraunt surounded by young girls,he was always surounded by women and sitting on the barstool he was about six foot five.There was a powerlifter named Joe Mayo who used to go around town telling everyone he was the strongest guy in Honolulu,he was about five eight with a belly and when people didn't believe him he would pull out some article from the paper and show them.Well,i'm rambling, I'd better shut-up.Take care.

I used to see a girl who worked at Matteos.  ANd I know Joe Mayo as does Stunt.  He used to write I think for a magazine.  I met him sevral times.  Stunt knows all the people you mention.  ANd I am pretty sure you know stunt.  I've heard him mention Bill Starr before.  Man the gym at UH is unreal now.  One of the best college weight rooms in the country I heard.  I lived for awhile right behind World Gym in the apartments at Eaton Square.  And yes the cops still make a bundle from towing the cars off the Ala Wai.  I miss Oahu.  I have been in Kona for 3 years.  Starting next weekI will be going to Hilo and staying there for 3 days a week helping to get our gymover there going good while we wait on the gym in Kona.  I love talkig about Hawaii.  I love it here

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1115 on: January 27, 2007, 11:07:14 AM »
Got some catching up to do here it looks like. Haven't taken a look at this site for a long time and I've also had the opportunity to meet many of the individuals mentioned in these recent posts ...... notably Don Ross and John Phillips and Mike and Ray.

But before posting anything, I'm gonna go back and get myself up to date and make a determination if I can add any constructive or destructive comments that might be of interest.

I also notice that I used to post under the name of KEVIN and changed that becasue I had difficulty getting back on line (screen-name/password or whatever) useing "Kevin" and since I was working as a Stunt Coordinator in La La Land, I renewed my account as "Stuntmovie".

I'll bring myself up to date with the most recent posts and see if there is anything I might be able to add that would be of interest without repeating anything.

Thanks, Stunt

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1116 on: January 27, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
Stilltraining ...... As Keith stated, I do know each and every person you mentioned above and I bet I know you too. And I know to the exact detail each and every spot you mentioned except for one.

Let me start this off with Bill Starr .... one of the most colorful characters I've ever met in the lifting sports.

You probably know most of this stuff already so it's mainly written for the rest of the GetBiggers, but please feel fine about correcting me in the places where my memory fails to serve me correctly.

Bill was the strength coach at UH when the weight room was in a small room at the southern end of the basketball court. The gym was full of crap but due to Bill's involvement, it was always full of hard training athletes and all the guys on the football team.

One great freind of Bill's and mine was a phenominal lifter by the name of Steve Dussia (remember him?) who was genius at improving one's overall olympic or powerlifting performance . He is/was the kind of guy who would recommend that you turn your toes inward or outward just a little bit and enable the lifter to set new records. Steve and Bill were great buds and did great things for the UH lifting program. And I can tell you a 1001 Bill Starr stories and Steve Dussia stories that would peak your interest, but that will have to wait for a later time because I have to call Steve and have him set my memory correctly.

Steve was also a good friend of Joe Mayo's and Joe Mayo is a classic story in himself. Joe was the head doorman at a number of Waikiki drinking joints and a real character when it came to self promotion. More Joe Mayo stories to follow shortly.

John Phillip ..... The strongest Samoan in Hawaii and a good friend at that time. Steve worked with John a lot to improve his powerlifting as did fellow powerlifter - Gus Reithwisch - another classic character in this wild world of lifting heavy stuff.

Tommy Kono and Harold Sakada (Oddjob) and Peter George and all the rest of the best of the best ........ I've known them all and am proud to say that to one and all. Each a classic in his own right. And let's not forget Dr Richard You who gave more than he ever received from the lifting sports. And Timmy Leong - my good friend Timmy ..... one of the nicest guys you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting.

And there are so many others whose names you've probably never heard who have contributed to the lifting sports just as much or more than the famous names that are well known today ......  Bob Myers of the Nuuanu YMCA who was ALWAYS and ENTIRELY supportive of all the athletes whether they lifted or did Tai Chi and eveything else that falls somewhere in between.

And Jake Aio who ran Dean's Gym on Kalakaua so many years ago and still today looks like he is in his 20's. And Don "Hot Pants" Moraco and all those professional wrestlers of the day who used to gather at Hot Dog Annies after every event and continue to be the charaters they developed inside the square circle so we the fans could continue to abuse them verbally in the hopes that some newspaper writer would have some kind of story to write that next day  to fill the seats the following week. I'll go into those details later if there is any interest.

If you could bench over 300 you were welcome to train at Dean's Gym along with the Rock's dad and other local lifting greats, and that will be another story for a later post.

And I recall Armand Tanny talking to wrestling friends every weekend on Waikiki Beach directly behind the Outrigger. We'd sometimes join in those conversations and talk about what was gonna happen to whom the following weekend. I knew nothing was real in that ring but they sure worked hard at makeing it a reality.

And I did meet Wilt Chamberlin a couple of times at Ft Durussy and do recall that he purchased the Penthouse across from Ft Durussey because it was the only Waikiki apartment that had a ceiling high enough to clear his head. Also had the pleasure of meeting Joe Louis and Arnuld and Bruce Lee and just about every pro bodybuilder from the 60's to  the present. And of course that included Don Ross who was another colorful character in the lifting world.

Don once told me that he traveled to Hawaii for free whenever he felt like taking a vacation. He would somehow get government assistance and use it to spend time in Paradise. He often stated that " if they are stupid enough to give it to me, I'll be smart enough to take it." I've know Don during his ups and  during his downs, and I have to admit that he was always interesting regardless of the circumstances.

I've know Rick Stephenson and Paul Edney and recently seen Paul acting as a guard in the most recent Mission Impossible movie. His next on screen appearence will be in The Good German unless it ends up on the cutting room floor. The last time I saw Rick was at his gym in Mission Beach (Gold's) but I beleive hs is out of that business now.

And lastly because this is getting too long, I know the Marine Surf but I don't recall that Bill Starr worked at a 2nd floor place near there. Bill did work at Hula's Bar and Lei Stand on Saratoga and Kuhio for a while when it first opened. It was then a major hangout for the UH football team and UH students and everyone who lived in Waikiki and wanted to get together over a beer or two or just too many. Shortly after, it became a gay nightclub that would draw in just about anyone - gay or straight.

I did some minor work for Bill while he was writing Only the Strong Shall Survive and he thanked me inside  which I greatly appreciated. The last time I enquired, Bill was the Strength Coach at John Hopkins University.

And Gil Bayliss from 3M - another great idividual.

How about Rex Ravelle, Mike Scott and Gary Watanabe and Jimmy Grimes, Bob Mathews,  and Norm Marks, the lifetime college student? Last time I saw Norm, he was studying earthquakes and volcanos.

And Chad, the AF athlete, who saw a picture of pro bodybuilder and started lifting the very next day and won his first contest the following month and the next month won a major NPC contest in Las Vegas. From my point of view it was the fastest transformation in the history of the sport.

And the military athlete who could enter contests only if there was a jeep outside ready to take him and all his gear to an undisclosed airport to hop on an undisclosed aircraft and jump form an undisclosed elevation into some undisclosed country to gather facts that some undisclosed government official needed within 48 hours.  A phenominal story that will probably never be told in greater detail than I've already stated.

And the Marine who took 2,100 of various roids a day (yes! - a Day and each was picked so that his cycle always remained at a peak) as an experiment, won his first contest after his second cycle, and was invited to compete against IFBB pros that same evening - AND beat them all! He won so many trophies that he had to spread them around his friends so that he could get them home.

And the guy who could rip quarters in half with his bear hands and remove lug nuts from heavy equipment without useing any tools.

What's with this "sport" that attracts so many colorful charatcters/participants and a lot of crazed up fans?

For the life of me, I find it very difficult for any of us to show any form of disrespect for any of these guys with a few exceptions such as those who cause injury or death to an innocent party! I suppose that most of the disrespect seen on Bodybuilding Boards such as this is mainly due to the fact that no one is held accountable for their actions and it's impossible to make contact with a fist coming through your computer screen.

OK, enuff said.

Thanks for allowing me to relive my memories, Still adn Only and Ram. Those were some great days and great times. I wonder what happened to them?

If there is any interest in this stuff, I'll be glad to carry on.

Thanks, Stunt (formerly KEVIN who was too stupid to figure it out.)

stilltrainin

• Getbig I
« Reply #1117 on: January 28, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »
Good hearing from you Stunt.You were right about that club that Bill Starr worked at,it was Hula's on Kuhio.I worked at the Marine Surf where the wrestlers had a condo on the upper floors.I landed in Waikiki in late 73,after training a short time at the original Gold's in Venice.Me and a friend decided to go over and try out for the World Football League,we abanded the car at the airport and jumped on a plane for Honolulu.Got a studio apt. on the Ala Wai for 165.00 mo. and joined Central Y.We would train in the morning and hang out at the beach (publics) during the afternoon. There was on old,blond haired surfer guy that was kind of the guru there at the foot of Kaiulani,he would do handstands and stuff on the beach,can't remember his name.I remember hearing about the guy who ripped quarters and removed lug nuts with his hands.Gil Bayless was state armwrestling champ at the time and the rumor was that this guy was going to enter the competition,Gil said that if the guy got up to armwrestle him,he was going to just walk away from the table and forfit.I think I remember Gary Watanabe,small muscular,drug free guy who used to work at the Y occasionally?He was a good guy,and Chad, was he the blond haired,fairly tall bodybuilder, doorman, who supposidly one night beat the crap out of a bunch of guy's at the club he worked at?Anyway,its been a long time.Hey, Only,that girl you asked me about,Kim,did she date Rick stephenson?You said she was blind,I reread it and was wondering if you meant blond.The Kim that dated Rick was a competitive bodybuilder and was a nice person.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1118 on: January 28, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
No Kimwas blond not blind.  She was so energetic and everyone just loved her.  She was actually married (I didn't know that) and her husbands name was Chet.  Whenever I hear someone trained at those gyms in San Diego I always ask them if they knew Kim.  I woudl love to see her again.  Lost touch.  I told you Stunt would knwo them.  He has great stories.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1119 on: January 28, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »
Still, Those wrestlers you are talking about were good friends of my mom and she used to give them hell for being such big bullies. They used to all gather at one of the hotel pools and talk about recipes and who cooked the best dinners. She was especially fond of the Masked Destroyer or the Masked Convict who was a very kind and educated guy outside of the ring.

Were you at the Central Y before or after they painted the weight room that glow green color and extended it into the back room where they used to have the wrestling/boxing mats?

The last time I was there was with Keith, but I forget why we were there. I think it had something to do with Ultimate Nutrition.

That little cafe out front used to be one of the best places to eat on Oahu but it changed hands a number of times.

ANd the Central Y owns the land next door where the Yacht Harbor Towers sits so they are pulling in sizeable coin on lease rents each month. Used to be a nice open park on that site.

Gary Watanable never did work there so you are thinking of another guy and Tommy Kono and his Olympic lifters only trained at the Nuuanu Y.

I hung around with the World Football league guys. Lem Burnham was a very close friend and I sold him a house out in Pearl City above the stadium. Lem had a party up there one weekend and asked me to open up the house because he had some business to take care of before he was able to get home. So I kind of served as the Host for all the pro football and baseball and news guys players who were in town that week. Had a good time doing that.

I was there for those WFL tryouts and Steve Dussia showed up and did some kicking under the watchful eyes of some of the coaches.

That older blond haired surfer you mentioned was probably Bob Oldt. He was a Doctor at Kaiser and never touched a weight but could do damn well in any bodybuiding contest. His sister had that same unreal muscle tone. Bob got a good part in Hawaii 5-0 because he looked good doing pushups on the beach, but some bad guys end up shooting him to death as he is out at sea rowing a kiyak.

ANd in reference to "Chad" - No , that is not the same Chad I mentioned earlier.

What is Rick Stephenson doing now? One of his partners in the Mission Beach GOlds was going to start competing and had some damn good potential. Do you recall who that was?

OK, signing off till later. Thanks

stilltrainin

• Getbig I
« Reply #1120 on: January 29, 2007, 09:40:13 AM »
hey stunt,how's it brah,I can't remember the color of the Y,but it was two rooms.The back room had the squat racks and the lat machine.The lat pulldown was the old kind where you stacked wieghts on it.We used to be back there squatting heavy wearing our flip-flops,kinda hairy backing up with a big weight on your back while youre wearing flip-flops.I don't think I wore a pair of shoes for 2 years.I never saw Tommy Kono at the central Y, just would see him around town at different events.Do you rember a big Samoan named Malo?My friend and training partner was named Jim Williams(not that one),he worked at Pearl Harbor and is probably still around.I haven't seen Rick Stephenson since about 92,the last I heard he still had the gym,although it's now world gym.The guy you asked about might be John Dipolo who owned Gold's Escondido,he did compete and looked great.I ran into him in Gold's Temecula about three years ago,he's a good guy.I left Hawaii in 75,started training at Bud Mucci's Olympic Health Club on Olympic blvd. in L.A.Bud sponsered the world champian powerlifting team,(Bud Ravenscroft,Enrique Hernandez etc) and by 76 I was training outside of Philly at McCormacks gym.We all went up to York to see the 76 worlds powerlifting championship's, a teenage Joe Bucci was part of our group,he trained at the gym.I remember Doug Young coming up with a big squat and his lifting belt ripping off and flying into the audience.I was looking around the crowd and realized Bertil Fox was sitting behind me,also saw a big but old John Grimek in the crowd.Anyway,by 79 I  was back in Hawaii at the Central Y.Stayed about 9 mo. and left for S.D. with just the clothes on my back.Started training at Bob Clarks old gym on Cass str. Pacific Beach,when Bob was still there.Then Paul's Pacific Gym,then Golds' P.B., Fitness and Muscle,Valley Barbell,Gold's La Mesa,Gold's Sarasota Florida,Golds'Oceanside,Gold's Vista, Gold's Temecula.I'm a gypsy but wherever I go there has to be a gym in town.Aloha Brah.i'm going to hele on.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1121 on: January 29, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
I took out the wall in the Central Y and made it one big room.  I redesign the gm forthem back in 97 or so.  Still have a few cardio machines in the little room just before going up the few steps into the main gym area.  SOme more cardio in the main hall and even some more in the main gym.  We made that gym really nice and I liked training there.  To bad we couldn't have bought it and made it into a nice club.  Used to play racquetball all the time.  Never used the pool.  Mostly kids in there.  And the restaurant out front had okay food but not as good as years before.  Stunt we used to go there for the MetRx stuff whenI was the distributor.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1122 on: February 01, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »
Keith, who was the Cheerleading Coach that worked there and decided to jump into the bodybuiling world and start competing? I do recall that he reached pro level caliber but then we lost contact. Hard working, good guy who coached a couple of the national champion cheer leading teams. I believe he approached you about promoting a national cheerleading convention or contest on Oahu. First name was ROBERT.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1123 on: February 01, 2007, 11:06:35 PM »
Keith, who was the Cheerleading Coach that worked there and decided to jump into the bodybuiling world and start competing? I do recall that he reached pro level caliber but then we lost contact. Hard working, good guy who coached a couple of the national champion cheer leading teams. I believe he approached you about promoting a national cheerleading convention or contest on Oahu. First name was ROBERT.

Yes I remember him but forgot his last name.  Yes he and a few others on the mainland thought a national competiton here would be awesome.  The money those competitons being in is unreal.  He was a national champion too.  And yes he was a very good BB.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1124 on: February 02, 2007, 10:46:33 AM »
Oh, yea, now I remember ..... That was Robert Daniel, Keith. One hell of a good man and before you ever met him he could have done well among the pros but for some reason he but it all aside. Do me a favor and check the telephone book and see if he still owns a Cheerleading Acadamy. I got a feelig that he will be back in competition one day soon. Just too damn much potential to waste.