Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550771 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »
Okay is no-one going to comment on how difficult it has to be to get a bar with a 45 on each side overhead and balanced with no collars? Getting two 135 dumbells overhead requires strength. One would be more difficult because of the balancing factor, but a bar with no collars?   
and keep moving!

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2005, 11:08:33 AM »
you can tell by that pix he had an awesome phyique.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #352 on: April 18, 2005, 06:46:09 PM »
Where did onlyme go ???

619Rules

« Reply #353 on: April 18, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
Where did onlyme go ???
Onlyme spilled a protien shake/smoothie all over his computer and it got KO'd......I will send him an email and tell him we need another laugher story to keep the thread going!

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #354 on: April 19, 2005, 05:25:30 AM »
Really?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #355 on: April 19, 2005, 08:51:26 AM »
This thread sort of became famous bith with Getbig and a few other boards around the net. I'd like to keep it going but it seems to be fading. We need some more humorous stories. Tell Onlyme to get that PC up and running again.
and keep moving!

man from oz

« Reply #356 on: April 20, 2005, 02:20:52 AM »
Okay is no-one going to comment on how difficult it has to be to get a bar with a 45 on each side overhead and balanced with no collars? Getting two 135 dumbells overhead requires strength. One would be more difficult because of the balancing factor, but a bar with no collars?   
you can tell by the look on his face
this guy had it all
strength
confidance
physique

man
if only

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #357 on: April 20, 2005, 12:25:57 PM »

Who remembers the name of the blonde guy from Orange County (80’s) with really thick incredible abs. He was a top contender for the Cal and maybe the nationals but then I never heard about him again.

Okay guys I asked about this guy earlier and couldn’t remember who he was. I came across this today. Anyone remember him?

Steve Bohnstedt

and keep moving!

619Rules

« Reply #358 on: April 20, 2005, 05:26:12 PM »
Okay guys I asked about this guy earlier and couldn’t remember who he was. I came across this today. Anyone remember him?

Steve Bohnstedt

Steve Bohnstedt-of course I remember him.

He was pretty big for his day and he was traiing at Venice in the early 80's. He was a monster, and won some big shows. I don't think he ever came close to winning a national show and dropped from sight. But I remember him very clearly because of something he said when he was in a show my friend was in.

This is what he said that I will always remember for some reason "Stay on the juice year round, and stay on all the way up to till the day of the show"....

That is what I remember from him, back in the 80's. I don't think anyone stayed on gear year round back then-not even the pro's. The same goes for staying on gear when preparing for a show-most guys would drop all gear 1-2 weeks before the show to clear out all water retention.

A guy that was very similar to Bohnstedt was Will Willis, had a great physique-and started getting low placing at NPC shows. Could have been plaing at national level shows. Used to do back flips in his posing routine.

After a local NPC show twhere he came in third,a show he should have won or at least placed second, he just stopped competing. Then he went on an anti gear crusade and got super small. I will post a pic if I can find one.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2005, 09:13:45 PM »
Steve Bohnstedt

Collegiate Mr America - AAU, HeavyWeight, 2nd
Junior Mr USA - AAU, Light-HeavyWeight, 4th

Mr America - AAU, Medium-Tall, 8th

Mr California - AAU, Overall Winner
Mr California - AAU, Medium-Tall, 1st

Mr USA - AAU, Medium-Tall, 1st

Mr America - AAU, Medium-Tall, 4th
Universe - AAU, HeavyWeight, 2nd

Will Willis

and keep moving!

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #360 on: April 21, 2005, 08:09:13 AM »
Rules, I'm no roid expert by any means, but back in Bohnstedt's day it was a relatively mild dosage. Decca and anavar if I recall right and a lot of the guys stayed on the program year round.

But there were some pretty wild exceptions and one exception that I am personally familiar with was the good friend who called around the world doing a research project in an attempt to determine what roid program would produce the fastest and greatest results.

He decided to do a personal roid experiment to see just how far he could go without getting real sick.

When he found out what he wanted to know he charted out the "life cycles" of everything he planned on taking which amounted to a series of "peaks" and "valleys" and set it all up so that he never came off a "peak".

His program eventually came  to 2,100 mg of orals and injectbles daily for a couple of weeks and then a gradual tapering down.

Sometime during his third month (if I recall correctly) he entered a contest and won his wt class, the overall, the best poser, and the most muscular (could have won the bodypart awards too but I don't recall if they offered them at that event).

He had to take the trophies apart to fit them all in his car.

At that same event, they had an IFBB contest that allowed the amateur winner to enter and he managed to win that one too, but I don't recall who he competed against. Definitely not anyone of the Olympia or Universe caliber but definitely good enough to be pros.

He was definitely unbeatable that night and totally "juiced", and he was the first one to admit it.

That evening he got home and consumed a meal that was apparently too big for his stomach and suffered the consequences. He called to tell me that he felt like his stomach was tearing apart from the inside. His wife got him to the base clinic where they pumped out his stomach one way or another.

The next night his wife was working on base and he called to say that he thought he was going ot die and asked if I would come over in case he passed out. So I packed up my tooth brush and headed out, but before I got to the door he called back and said that it had passed and all was well.

So I unpacked and hit the rack.

I got a call the next morning and he told me that during the night he had another "attack" and felt like he was dieing and his wife was on 24 hour duty on base, so he got up and drove down to the all night grocery store and walked the aisles. He figured that if he passed out or got real sick, someone in the store would find him.

When his wife returned the next morning, they rushed off to the hospital and all that they could determine was that his blood pressure was too damn high.

And it was still high one week later, so he visited a doctor off base who worked with a number of the pros and local athletes and got one shot of "something".

The next day he had another appointment with the on base doc and was surprised that his blood pressure was back to normal.

He attributes that to the "shot" by the off base doc, but never did find out what it was.

After that experiment he cut off his roid program and got back to normal and eventually became a BB coach and one of the brightest lawyers on the east coast.

He is one of those guys that loves to take chances so he never did regret that experiment wild roid experiment.

I no longer have any interest about what the pros take  but it would be interesting to see if anyone takes anything over 2,100 mg/day for an extended period of time.

619Rules

« Reply #361 on: April 21, 2005, 03:42:32 PM »
Steve Bohnstedt

Collegiate Mr America - AAU, HeavyWeight, 2nd
Junior Mr USA - AAU, Light-HeavyWeight, 4th

Mr America - AAU, Medium-Tall, 8th
Mr California - AAU, Overall Winner
Mr California - AAU, Medium-Tall, 1st
Mr USA - AAU, Medium-Tall, 1st
Mr America - AAU, Medium-Tall, 4th
Universe - AAU, HeavyWeight, 2nd

Will Willis

Yep-Steve B. won a few shows. I dont recall him winning the AAU Mr. California though, I guess because it has been so long. I remember seeing him at Golds Venice in the early 80's. I remember his  wild hair. He was a big guy.

I do remember Gerald Riley winng the AAU Mr. Caliornia.

Will Willis-good cover shot. The guy had a winning physique. He had everything-size, shape, artistic posing. The guy used to be a gymnast-that is where the back flips came from. It is too bad he let the biased judging get to him, to the point he quit. He was a great guy to watchat shows, always came in shape-just got jerked around by the posing one time too many. I remember when he placed 3rd in the Contra Costa in 1984, he should have won (or at least second)-said right there he would never do another NPC show again.

As for gear-I have never heard of anyone doing 2100 mgs a DAY-maybe a week, but not a day. I know the guys I trained with back in the late 70's and the 80's would take mild dosages of maybe 200mg/week of deca with 10-20 Mg/day of anavar or dbol. Thats it, basic and simple. 8 weeks- on 8 weeks off.

Don Ross did say at one time that he took 3 dbol a day-everyday- "because I compete against the best bodybuilders in the world". Might be a reason he tore his pec and bicep.

619Rules

« Reply #362 on: April 21, 2005, 11:22:05 PM »
Kevin-

Where are the pics of the old World Gym on Main, and the Gold's on 2nd in SM?

Can you post a couple for us? ;D ;D ;D

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #363 on: April 22, 2005, 08:57:54 AM »
Rules, I have those Gold Gym photos and many more taken throughout Santa Monica and Venice on a recent trip down to the beach still in my camera and can't send them out until I get back to my own computer.

This Mac laptop I am working on does not have a device on the side of it where I can insert the Sony Memory Stick to transfer them on. So I have to wait until I get my own Sony Laptop back from the repair guys.

Can you figure out another solution? I do not have access to another computer while I am away from home.

New subject ........  I see Dan Lurie's name on the magazine which reminds me of a story that happened years back. I think I mentioned this topic a while back but here it is from a different angle.

This story involves the meeting that initiated the NPC/IFBB connection. Don't ask me the year because I am bad at recalling dates, but it must have been the year that Dave Johns won the big NPC title in Santa Monica. If I recall right Ron Teufel, Dave Rogers, Andreas Cahling were some of the guys who competed that year.

Excuse me if I am not too precise regarding the participants and the details , but this is based on my memory of a long time ago.

The contest was held on a Saturday afternoon and evening at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium and the following morning (Sunday) there was a big meeting at the same location.

I didn't realize how important this meeting was going to be at that time so I failed to take a camera or recording device and missed a great opportunity.

We gathered in the area at the entrance to the auditorium and it was all formally set up with chairs and a long table on an elevated platform up front. A podium with a microphone stood to the side.

Someone had spent some bucks setting this meeting up so I figured something important was going to be discussed.

I took a seat up front and eventually turned around to see who was in attendance and noticed small groups of individuals conversing in hushed whispers as if something important was underway.

Dan Lurie was there in the back. He was big and bulky and appeared to have been up all night.

There was Terpak and a number of the guys from York, Pa representing Bob Hoffman and the York Barbell Company.

It is difficult to recall who took the seats at that table on the elevated stage but I believe Jerome Weise was up there. I do recall that it was Jerome who had the brains and the skill to draft all the paperwork in the attempt to legally  set up the NPC and to my understanding, he was successful in doing so.

Others were up there and if anyone can refresh my memory on whom they were, it would be appreciated. Or better yet, if anyone knows if this event is posted anywhere on the net ...........

Eventually the meeting was called to order by someone up there and everyone settled down to discuss "something important".

A few things were initially mentioned that got the crowd in various uproars and shouting matches but nothing as verbose as what was yet to come.

Then it happened .......

Mr Ben Weider, dressed in a very impressive blue blazer and light gray slacks (how the hell do i remember that?) stood on that platform and addressed the assembled group.

He proposed that this new NPC organization be a part of the IFBB (or something like that).

He was a very impressive speaker with a slight English accent and the only one that I can recall who was neat as a pin and neatly dressed for the occasion.

Basically he was recommending that if the NPC recognized the IFBB as the world governing body for bodybuilding, the IFBB would recognize the NPC as the governing bodybuilding organization for the USA.

And the IFBB would not compete against the NPC in any manner if the NPC would sanction amateur contests only, while the IFBB would only sanction professional contests within the US.

He went to elaborate other details while a lot of the people in the audiance were on their feet objecting loudly.

The "Chair" regained order and allowed each individual at the meeting to stand and address his objections to the assembled group.

Lurie stood up and was in strong opposition.

And the York group followed suit.

But the most interesting objection game from the unknown guy sitting ot my right.

This guy looked like a regular Joe off the street and stood up and offered the following information:

He had worked for both Joe and Ben Weider as an employee in the past and had a lot of respect for each of them as they worked hard at what they were trying to do.

But he wanted the group to know that the IFBB was not really a world wide organization as many of those "so called" world wide groups were merely Post Office Boxes situated throughout the world.

He offered this comment politely and then regained his seat.

Ben Weider remained calm throughout all these adverse comments from the floor and answered each objection calmly and intelligently (unlike many of the others) while the others such as Lurie and the Hoffman group objected loudly.

A lot more followed but eventually a vote was taken and the association with Weider and the IFBB passed with flying colors.

It could have been a different story if the opposing sides had come prepared and made a more appealing offer but Ben was the only one at that meeting who showed up with a viable plan.

If anyone else was at that meeting, I'd sure like to hear your viewpoint of this meeting.

Looking back, I personally think it was the most important meeting ever held within the bodybuilding rhelm.

I don't recall if the AAU was still involved in any capacity, but I don't recall that subject being discussed at that meeting.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #364 on: April 22, 2005, 06:56:59 PM »
Guys sorry for being away so long. I am at the Internet Cafe now.  But, I wanted to check in.  I have been reading and I have some good stpries I remember but I have to wait till I get my computer back or it will cost me  a million dollars on this computer.  Does anyone have a story about Flex's driving. I hve a great one.  Aloha for now.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: April 22, 2005, 07:45:29 PM »
Guys sorry for being away so long. I am at the Internet Cafe now.  But, I wanted to check in.  I have been reading and I have some good stpries I remember but I have to wait till I get my computer back or it will cost me  a million dollars on this computer.  Does anyone have a story about Flex's driving. I hve a great one.  Aloha for now.

Damn....get that thing fixed.

>:(

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #366 on: April 23, 2005, 08:45:32 AM »
Flex's driving!?? Oh, shit!

I was there that day but was too damn busy to pay too much attention until Only made me pay notice. Hurry up and tell that one, K! I would only mess it up.

Just came on line to tell everyone about Keith's present computer situation but he beat me to it.

Heading down to Santa Monica to see if I missed any photo ops. I'm trying to concentrate on what used to be the "old spots" in the SM/Venice area but they are now few and far between.

I will get these photos posted mid May when my computer is returned. They might not be of too much interest unless you can recall the "olden days" so I'll only post a few at a time unless there is interest to see more.

And if I can learn how to set up an internet photo scrapbook, I'll do my best to post them to that site. Any scrapbook info?

Thanks, Kev

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #367 on: April 23, 2005, 04:37:51 PM »
This story involves the meeting that initiated the NPC/IFBB connection. Don't ask me the year because I am bad at recalling dates, but it must have been the year that Dave Johns won the big NPC title in Santa Monica. If I recall right Ron Teufel, Dave Rogers, Andreas Cahling were some of the guys who competed that year.

Dave Johns never competed in any NPC show.

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2005, 07:37:51 PM »

Geez, I can't wait to hear this one!!

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #369 on: April 23, 2005, 08:20:23 PM »
From Bix .... Dave Johns never competed in any NPC show.

BIX, You could be correct. But I think the last Mr America winner during this transition between the AAU and the NPC was Gary Leonard. If Dave competed before the year that Gary won (and I now believe he did) then he competed when it was sanctioned by the AAU or possibly during the transition phase.

I do recall that Dave accepted his trophy from Mae West who was escorted on stage by Bert Goodrich.

I was back stage and she elbowed me out of her way and said, "Move over, Big Guy." and Bert said something like, "Thank you."

Bert was there to escort her on stage because I understand that her eyesight was not too good at that time.

Back stage she was a quiet old lady in heavy makeup, but once she passed those curtains, she was Mae West.

I might add that the change over from the AAU to the NPC was a year or two of arguments and accusations. An interesting period in bodybuilding if you were involved.

It wasn't peaceful by any means. I am trying to contact a friend who played a major role during that transitional period.

I hope his memory is better than mine. Will let you know if it is.

Thanks, Bix.

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
!
« Reply #370 on: April 23, 2005, 10:08:25 PM »
Recalled some old stories today with some old time military bodybuilder friends and thought I'd pass this one on to the group.

True stuff, but difficult to believe nonetheless.

Back in the 60's I spent a lot of time in Vietnam dodging bullets and lifing sandbags whenever we found one in the vicinity.

A bodybuilder in combat is pretty much the same as a bodybuilder in the gym. Always looking for an unused set of weights or an unoccupied bench and complaining when none were available.

But in out case it was sandbags and ammunition crates.

One time out in the boonies we got a little tired of lifting heavy sand so I asked one of my better "requisitioners" to hop on a helicopter and head south in an attempt to locate something that resembled a decent metal barbell with enough weight to place on each end to get a decent workout.

"And a bench too if you can find one!"

Within an hour he was heading south to Danang.

Now I have a bit of confidence in USMC reqisitioners so the rest of us started ripping those wooden ammo crates apart and stared to erect a "gym" in the boonies to house our soon to be, newly requisitioned equipment.

It took two days but sure enough, there was a helicopter heading north towards our position. A US Army helicpoter if you looked through the binoculars.

Minutes later it landed on our hilltop in the boonies. And there was our "Requisitioner"
with a big smile on his face and a load of weights beneath his feet,

"I got more! I gotta go back!"

And within three minutes he was airborne once again.

It took three to four more trips to requisition our gym in the boonies but it was the best damn gym in the boonies that Vietnam ever did see.

Probably the best damn gym in all of Vietnam outside of the established military bases in those  relatively peaceful zones we seldom got to visit.

Things that were obtained this way were never questioned and the word "HOW?" was never mentioned.

We just looked at them as gifts from industrious and reliable requisitioners.

We got cold beer in a similar manner. Stold from the US Army and delivered by US Army helicpoters who often returned to base and wondered who took their beer.

And at the end this gym in the boonies really did pay off for one great bodybuilder in particular!

Back then, when you served in Vietnam, you got a one week vacation in some peaceful place like Hawaii or Bangladesh or Australia or Japan. (Yea! Some actually went to Bangladesh!)

When your turn came you merely hopped on a helicopter to the nearest US military airport and got the next plane out of the country to the Paradise of your choice.

But you had to return in 7 days! In many cases, you got to fight a war with a decent tan and sometimes even a heavy hangover.

This one particular time, one of out better  bodybuilders was totally ripped and hard as nails and heading off for seven days in Hawaii.

He and three other Marines were in the boonies waiting for the helicopter "taxi" to arrive when the sound of incoming was overheard over the whang whang whang of the whirley bird.

It only took a couple of weeks in Vietnam to know the sound of 122mm rockets and this was definitely the sound of 122mm's.

Most every one hit the deck except the four guys standing by for the taxi which was heading towards them overhead.

That rocket struck that landing zone close enough to blow them off their feet and about 20 feet back. Two of the guy were hit by shrapnel and suffered serious damage. The third was "crushed" by the percussion but survived and the ripped to shreads bodybuilder who was standing by his side just managed to get up and straggle off once the damage was done.

Every one in that LZ was taken to the doc and three were rushed off to the base hospital in Danang in the same helicopter that was gonna take them on their first leg to Paradise.

Our ripped up bodybuilder was the only one to come out unscratched except for the constant ringing in his ears and a slight case of nervousness.

But the doc gave him a clean bill of health and he got on that same helicopter and continued beyond Danang and onward to Hawaii.

The doc simply shook his head as that bird took off and said, " He was too damn muscular to suffer any percussion damage, I guess!"

That's a true story and this one is too ......

A friend of mine works for a tire company. He was also a Marine and one hell of a great bodybuilder. Thick and solid and ripped to shreads all year long.

His job at that tire company was working the tire retreading machine.

I've never seen one of those but here is what happened according to his wife who gave me this report the following day.

He was working the retreading machine when somehow it "bit him" and sucked him inside. (Honest folks!)

Someone hit the emergency switch and once it came to a halt, you could hear moaning from inside that damn thing!

It took hours to take that machine apart but they eventually got to him and pulled him out and got him to the hospital.

They gave him a complete exam and once it was over the doc simply shook his head and said, " He's black and blue and will be off his feet for a couple of days but he's too damn muscular to suffer any serious damage, I guess!"

True stories! Honest!

Solid muscles do pay off in combat situations and tire retreading companies.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #371 on: April 24, 2005, 08:20:10 AM »
From Bix .... Dave Johns never competed in any NPC show.

BIX, You could be correct. But I think the last Mr America winner during this transition between the AAU and the NPC was Gary Leonard. If Dave competed before the year that Gary won (and I now believe he did) then he competed when it was sanctioned by the AAU or possibly during the transition phase.

I do recall that Dave accepted his trophy from Mae West who was escorted on stage by Bert Goodrich.

I was back stage and she elbowed me out of her way and said, "Move over, Big Guy." and Bert said something like, "Thank you."

Bert was there to escort her on stage because I understand that her eyesight was not too good at that time.

Back stage she was a quiet old lady in heavy makeup, but once she passed those curtains, she was Mae West.

I might add that the change over from the AAU to the NPC was a year or two of arguments and accusations. An interesting period in bodybuilding if you were involved.

It wasn't peaceful by any means. I am trying to contact a friend who played a major role during that transitional period.

I hope his memory is better than mine. Will let you know if it is.

Thanks, Bix.

http://www.musclememory.com/cgi-bin/search?name=dave+johns&gender=M

619Rules

« Reply #372 on: April 24, 2005, 09:38:57 AM »
Wow-Dave Johns on Muscle Memory.

Blast from the past.

I can tell you right now that picture of Dave does not even begin to tell how big Dave was. When I saw him training at World Gym in 1982-83, he had the thichest chest to back density I had/have ever seen-not to mention anyone at World Gym.

Monster guy.

As for the AAU/NPC-I have no clue if it was in transition or not-but I always thought it was AAU through Tim Belknap winning the 1981 Mr America? After that it became NPC/Nationals?

That was when everyone was sueing everyone (AAU VS. NPC...NPC VS. AAU).

It is really too bad thatt he Mr America title is not being used anymore.

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: !
« Reply #373 on: April 24, 2005, 12:09:45 PM »
Recalled some old stories today with some old time military bodybuilder friends and thought I'd pass this one on to the group.

True stuff, but difficult to believe nonetheless.

Back in the 60's I spent a lot of time in Vietnam dodging bullets and lifing sandbags whenever we found one in the vicinity.

A bodybuilder in combat is pretty much the same as a bodybuilder in the gym. Always looking for an unused set of weights or an unoccupied bench and complaining when none were available.

But in out case it was sandbags and ammunition crates.

One time out in the boonies we got a little tired of lifting heavy sand so I asked one of my better "requisitioners" to hop on a helicopter and head south in an attempt to locate something that resembled a decent metal barbell with enough weight to place on each end to get a decent workout.

"And a bench too if you can find one!"

Within an hour he was heading south to Danang.

Now I have a bit of confidence in USMC reqisitioners so the rest of us started ripping those wooden ammo crates apart and stared to erect a "gym" in the boonies to house our soon to be, newly requisitioned equipment.

It took two days but sure enough, there was a helicopter heading north towards our position. A US Army helicpoter if you looked through the binoculars.

Minutes later it landed on our hilltop in the boonies. And there was our "Requisitioner"
with a big smile on his face and a load of weights beneath his feet,

"I got more! I gotta go back!"

And within three minutes he was airborne once again.

It took three to four more trips to requisition our gym in the boonies but it was the best damn gym in the boonies that Vietnam ever did see.

Probably the best damn gym in all of Vietnam outside of the established military bases in those  relatively peaceful zones we seldom got to visit.

Things that were obtained this way were never questioned and the word "HOW?" was never mentioned.

We just looked at them as gifts from industrious and reliable requisitioners.

We got cold beer in a similar manner. Stold from the US Army and delivered by US Army helicpoters who often returned to base and wondered who took their beer.

And at the end this gym in the boonies really did pay off for one great bodybuilder in particular!

Back then, when you served in Vietnam, you got a one week vacation in some peaceful place like Hawaii or Bangladesh or Australia or Japan. (Yea! Some actually went to Bangladesh!)

When your turn came you merely hopped on a helicopter to the nearest US military airport and got the next plane out of the country to the Paradise of your choice.

But you had to return in 7 days! In many cases, you got to fight a war with a decent tan and sometimes even a heavy hangover.

This one particular time, one of out better  bodybuilders was totally ripped and hard as nails and heading off for seven days in Hawaii.

He and three other Marines were in the boonies waiting for the helicopter "taxi" to arrive when the sound of incoming was overheard over the whang whang whang of the whirley bird.

It only took a couple of weeks in Vietnam to know the sound of 122mm rockets and this was definitely the sound of 122mm's.

Most every one hit the deck except the four guys standing by for the taxi which was heading towards them overhead.

That rocket struck that landing zone close enough to blow them off their feet and about 20 feet back. Two of the guy were hit by shrapnel and suffered serious damage. The third was "crushed" by the percussion but survived and the ripped to shreads bodybuilder who was standing by his side just managed to get up and straggle off once the damage was done.

Every one in that LZ was taken to the doc and three were rushed off to the base hospital in Danang in the same helicopter that was gonna take them on their first leg to Paradise.

Our ripped up bodybuilder was the only one to come out unscratched except for the constant ringing in his ears and a slight case of nervousness.

But the doc gave him a clean bill of health and he got on that same helicopter and continued beyond Danang and onward to Hawaii.

The doc simply shook his head as that bird took off and said, " He was too damn muscular to suffer any percussion damage, I guess!"

That's a true story and this one is too ......

A friend of mine works for a tire company. He was also a Marine and one hell of a great bodybuilder. Thick and solid and ripped to shreads all year long.

His job at that tire company was working the tire retreading machine.

I've never seen one of those but here is what happened according to his wife who gave me this report the following day.

He was working the retreading machine when somehow it "bit him" and sucked him inside. (Honest folks!)

Someone hit the emergency switch and once it came to a halt, you could hear moaning from inside that damn thing!

It took hours to take that machine apart but they eventually got to him and pulled him out and got him to the hospital.

They gave him a complete exam and once it was over the doc simply shook his head and said, " He's black and blue and will be off his feet for a couple of days but he's too damn muscular to suffer any serious damage, I guess!"

True stories! Honest!

Solid muscles do pay off in combat situations and tire retreading companies.

Good stories & I can totally relate.

Seen many circumstances where the average guy would be crushed or killed & the guy with the build...walks away.

When I was deployed.....i was always amazed of the "gyms we built" & what it consisted of.

Sand bags worked attached to a tent pole....but of course....the sand always leaked out & it became inconsistent.

There was something always around the motor pool that was heavy & seemed to work.

We also used 5 gallon cans & filled them with water & slid a tent pole through them.  That seemed to work well.

Push ups worked....but man does it get old.  Eventually you could do so many you had to have someone sit on your back/shoulders.

Pull ups became one arm pull-ups or you begin to attach sandbags to your body.

Another thing we used to do which was funny......when ever we deployed....we would get with the mechanics of motor transport & load in the back of their container which carried their tools a weight set & a bunch of other weights & benches we "acquired" over the years.  In the military....it's all about "who you know" to get things done.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
Okay gotta keep this short cause of the cost.  I know Kevin.  He is truly a Vietnam hero.  He is very modet but I have heard stories of his heroics from others.  He has some of the best war stories ever.  Also, having more muscle density than normal does help in certain situations.  What happened to me back in 98' with that little fuckin' spider the doctors credit my muscle and condition for saving my life.  If i got bit now I'd be dead.

I will have a computer this week I think.