Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550756 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #825 on: June 30, 2005, 07:06:15 PM »
You gotta be kidding me, a 19 minute 3 mile barrier? Is that the standard?

well.... the Corps would like it that way.....but I am going to say the average Marine prolly has a time of 23:00-24:00min 3 mile run.  Marines take pride in their running as well as their physical fitness.  We all strive to get stronger & run faster.  When we think we're fast.....we start putting weight on our backs to show us how "conditioned" we really are. 

When I was in high school in 10th grade and weighed about 135# I had broken the 6 minute mile barrier ONCE, came in at 5:50, and let me tell you that was the fastest and hardest I ever ran. I NEVER came close to that again.

One of the first PFT's I ran (3 mile timed run) I ran the first mile at 5:40 min & it scared the crap out of me because I had two miles to go & I realized I was going to fast to keep that pace for another two miles.  I slowed down a lot & finished out at 19 minutes.  When I was done........I realized that I could have run faster & even longer & my mind got the best of me.

I laugh all the time when I hear people who are in their 20's and 30's tell me that a 6 minute mile is no problem. It is a joke. This one joker thought it was easy as pie, until I said 100 bucks said he couldn't do it-then he started to think about it. HE never did take me up on the bet either.

Well......there's alot of people out there that can.....but I am not one anymore.
It's the same thing when some kid will say "Oh I can bench 300lb" & then you see the poor kid choking on a 7ft bar around his neck.

For someone to run 3 miles in under 19 minutes is simply amazing, it really is.

My best friend was a recon Marine/bodybuilder.  He competed in the San Diego back in 83 if I recall correctly.  He also used to run marathons.  Talk about cross training.  At his heaviest he was 5'7" weighed 225lbs & would run a sub 18 minute 3 mile.  Everytime I think about it....I have no idea how he could do it.

ANYONE that can run 3 miles in under 19 miuntes is in better condition than 99.9% of the American population.

Even I know who this guy is. He was profiled on TV when he stepped down as head of Camp Pendleton. Looks like a pretty tough cookie.

If they are both living on Point Loma they have some serious bucks, that place is bookoo expensive.

Speaking of Point Loma, have you seen the houses that the Rear Admirals get on the base there? If you go up Silvergate you end up at a portion of the base that is sealed off by a cyclone fence and the Admirals have their houses right there. Sometimes the gate is open, and I drove in once to check the houses out. There are three (or four) in a row. They have the best views on the Point, and the yeards are HUGE. Market rate for those houses would be $10 million easy-very easy. The Admirals have their names and rank on name plates that front the houses-no mistaking that these guys are the big cheeses on base!

I have been there & been inside those locations.  I used to know all of the high brass on MCRD San Diego which ended me up visiting all of these commands for one reason or another.  That's how I ended up meeting & being with the Krulaks for 3 days. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #826 on: June 30, 2005, 07:15:41 PM »
Knny, the Krulaks I knew personally must be in their mid-60's now. One was Chuck who was the Commandant a few years back and his brother who was the USMC Chaplain.

I also knew their dad who retired a long while back and I believe he went to work for one of the newspapers in San Diego as a civilian.

I am not aware if there are any more Krulaks in the Corps at present, but it would not surprise me at all. They are all about as famous as Chesty Puller.

Never had the opportunity to get to Point Loma but I did attend a few functions at the General's quarters at Pendleton.  Are you aware that Camp Pendleton is leased from the Corillo family for approximately $1.00 per year. Leo Corillo was "Pancho" on the Cisco Kid TV series. He came from an old Spanish family that owned a big spread in SoCal.

Would appreciate it if you could email me the Navy Cross story. I sat on the awards board at FMFPac for a brief period during the Viet Nam days. Those were some interesting sessions.

How did you come in contact with General Krulak?

Sorry to be off topic here. Maybe it would be best to answer this via email Knny via that message thing up above.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #827 on: June 30, 2005, 07:34:11 PM »
No I love these stories.  I don't have any war stories, except when me and my brother would play war with the deck of cards.  My dad was stationed in the Aleutian Islands in WWII and skied all day.  He said it was cold there all the time.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #828 on: June 30, 2005, 07:38:34 PM »
Great to see that a couple of the members are disbelievers.

But HELL!, I haven't even begun to post the stuff that is anywhere close to unbelievable yet.

But since this is a bodybuilding board, I don't want to get into too much stuff that is unrelated.

And I don't want to say shit that would reflect too badly on any specific individual unless I was personally involved and know the facts.

And while I'm on it, I should say this...........

A lot of us have fought for our right to say whatever we feel like saying but it really hurts a bit to see some of us knocking the shit out of the competing ladies who we feel  are not too attractive.

In one specific incident, some of the guys were knocking the hell out of one female competitor who they felt was "unattractive" so they began making sexual "inuendos"..... "Would you f--k her?" and stuff like that.

If they had known the facts I don't think that they would have treated her so harshly.

That female competitor had recently undergone successful cancer theraphy (right medical term??) and as a "reward to herself" she started lifting weights in earnest and entered a couple of shows to convince herself that she was fully recovered.

No drugs, nothing but hard training and a desire to live life to the fullest and accomplish something that she believed in and and a strong desire  to prove to one and all that she really had beaten the big C.

So some of the ladies may not be as beautiful as you wish, but most of them have a reason to be up there that you may not be aware of.

And believe me, a cancer patient who lives through all those treatments and finally gets to compete against those who have been much healthier than herself, sure ain't thinking about how pretty she looks.

She's just glad to be alive and looking the best she possibly can for her friends and family and anyone else who appreciates what it took to be up there with the best and "prettiest".

I hesitate to post pictures of some of the ladies lifters  I have known because of the possibility of unkind sexual remarks. But the ugly guys could care less unless the lady members start doing likewise.

Sorry, but had to say this.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #829 on: June 30, 2005, 08:02:28 PM »
Only! Back to the subject matter. Here is the latest Powerlifing info........

Lyn S. just returned from a major powerlifting meet in Cal. She did some phenominal lifts but I was too excited to see her again to keep the figures in my head. I'll email her and see if I can get the details.

Did you hear anything about this?

Did any members go to that contest this past week and have the details?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #830 on: June 30, 2005, 08:02:30 PM »
Actually....I just remebered he told me how he got his silver star and bronze star & his Father got the Navy Cross.  I'll be real honest......he didn't go into great detail about his award or his fathers award.  He really didn't seem like the kind of person that talks about himself.  When somebody had asked him about the Silver Star he earned......he replied it was "it's nothing compared to my Fathers Navy Cross"

He then quickly changed the mood & went into this story about a young marine in his rifle company in nam.  When he told this story.....it just gives people chills.

Attached is the story....if you have time.....it's worth the read:

"I can tell you from personal experience that combat is the most traumatic human event. It strips away an individual's veneer, exposing their true character. If a character flaw exists, it will appear in combat--guaranteed.

This morning, I will tell the story of an American whose true character was tested and exposed in the crucible of war. I will then draw some conclusions that are applicable to how the rest of us should live our lives ... lives where combat will hopefully never play a role. He was a 19 year old Marine-about the same age as most of you in the audience this morning. His name was LCPL Grable. He was a man of courage ...a man of character ... and this is his story ... Vietnam ... It was 0600, the third of June, 1966. I was in command of "G" Company, Second Battalion, First Marine Regiment. I was a First Lieutenant at the time, and had been given this command because the previous commander had been killed about one week earlier. My Company had been given a simple mission that began with a helicopter assault. We would land in a series of dried-up rice paddies about 6 football fields in length, and three football fields in width. These paddies were surrounded by jungle-covered mountains, with a dry stream bed running along one side. We were supposed to land, put on our packs, and do what all Marines do: find the largest mountain, and climb to the top. There we would put ourselves in a defensive perimeter to act as the blocking force for an offensive sweep conducted by two battalions.

The helicopters landed, unloaded my company of Marines, and had just started to leave when the world collapsed. Automatic weapons, mortar fire, artillery--it was hell on earth. Fortunately, a good portion of my Company had managed to move into the dry stream bed where they were protected from most of the fire. However, one platoon had landed too far west to move immediately to the cover of the stream bed. As they tried to move in that direction, the fires on them became so heavy they had no alternative but to hit the deck. One particular squad found itself directly in the line of fire of a North Vietnamese 12.7mm heavy machine gun. In a matter of seconds, two Marines were killed and three were seriously wounded.

As I watched what was happening from my position in the stream bed, I knew that it was just a matter of time before that machine gun would systematically "take out" that whole platoon--squad by squad. If I didn't act immediately, they would be lost in just a matter of minutes. I made a call to the commander of the first platoon that had made its way into the stream bed, directing him to move up the stream bed so he could attack across the flank of the gun position--not having to assault it directly from the front. At the same time, I directed another platoon to provide suppressive fire that might diminish the volume of fire coming from the machine gun position. All this was happening in the midst of smoke, multiple explosions, heavy small arms fire, and people yelling to be heard over the din of battle.

Suddenly, my radio operator grabbed me by the sleeve and pointed toward the middle of the rice paddy where a black Marine--a Lance Corporal by the name of Grable--had gotten to his feet, placed his M-14 rifle on his hip, and charged the machine gun--firing as fast as he could possibly fire. He ran about 40 meters directly toward the machine gun and then cut to the side, much like a running back might do during a football game. Sure enough, the machine gun, which had been delivering heavy fire on his squad, picked up off of the squad and began firing at Grable. Seeing the fire shift away from them, the squad moved immediately to the cover of a small rice paddy dike--thick ground, about a foot high separating each paddy from the other. Both they, and the other two squads were able to drag their casualties and gear to the position of safety behind this dike.

Grable didn't look back. He didn't see what happened. He kept on fighting. He dodged back and forth across these paddies, firing continuously. He would run out of ammunition, reload on the run, and continue forward--dodging back and forth as he ran. BAM! Suddenly he was picked up like a dishrag and thrown backward--hit by at least one round.

The rest of the platoon charged. My radio operator grabbed me again, but saying nothing, he just pointed to the middle of the rice paddy. That young Marine--Lance Corporal Grable--had gotten to his feet. As he stood, he didn't put the rifle to his hip; he locked the weapon into his shoulder...took steady aim--good sight picture, good sight alignment--and walked straight down the line of fire into that machine gun.

About four minutes later, my command group and the rest of the unit finally arrived at the now-silent machine gun position. There were nine dead enemy soldiers around the gun... Lance Corporal Grable was draped over the gun itself. As only Marines can do, these battle-hardened young men tenderly picked up Grable and laid him on the ground. When they opened his "flak jacket" he had five massive wounds from that machine gun. FIVE...

About seven months later, I traveled back to Headquarters Marine Corps in Washington and watched the Commandant of the Marine Corps present Lance Corporal Grable's widow with the nation's second highest decoration for valor--the Navy Cross. In this woman's arms was the baby boy that Grable had only seen in a Polaroid picture.

Grable displayed great physical courage. Somewhere in his character was another kind of courage as well--moral courage--the courage to do the right thing. When he had the chance to do something else, he chose to do the right thing. His squad was in mortal danger. He had a choice to make, and he did what was right, at the cost of his life. Let me remind you, this was 1966. Grable was a black Marine from Tennessee, who couldn't even buy a hamburger at the McDonald's in his hometown.

Grable ... moral courage ... personal courage ... character ... So, what of your character? Who are you? No, not the way you look in the mirror or in photographs ... but who are you really? What do you stand for? What is the essence of your character? Where is your moral compass pointing? Which course do you follow?"

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #831 on: June 30, 2005, 08:19:36 PM »
Knny, the Krulaks I knew personally must be in their mid-60's now. One was Chuck who was the Commandant a few years back and his brother who was the USMC Chaplain.

I also knew their dad who retired a long while back and I believe he went to work for one of the newspapers in San Diego as a civilian.

Now that I did not know

I am not aware if there are any more Krulaks in the Corps at present, but it would not surprise me at all. They are all about as famous as Chesty Puller.

He has two sons.....I don't know if they went into the military

Never had the opportunity to get to Point Loma but I did attend a few functions at the General's quarters at Pendleton.  Are you aware that Camp Pendleton is leased from the Corillo family for approximately $1.00 per year. Leo Corillo was "Pancho" on the Cisco Kid TV series. He came from an old Spanish family that owned a big spread in SoCal.

I think every Marine is told this story every couple of years when the lease is up for re-newel.

I didn't know that Leo Corillo was in a tv series.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #832 on: June 30, 2005, 08:23:56 PM »
Thanks, Knny. I appreciate that. It would be interesting if the Review Board considered the possibility of the "Silver Star" in this case.

Thanks again.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #833 on: June 30, 2005, 08:30:25 PM »
Hey!!! WHo moved the McDonald's Hamburgers guy??!!

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #834 on: June 30, 2005, 09:25:29 PM »
Great guy! Good stories!

Stunt those great pics had to be taken in 77!
I made the fabled trek to train at Gold's in August of 1977 and that's exactly how I remember Pete, with that same off white top that he wore every single day!  I wonder if he was hustling some of his "Mr. World Protein" to the guy he is talking to? ;)

Your pictures and stories are pure gold....keep em coming!

Raw-Iron.com

619Rules

« Reply #835 on: June 30, 2005, 09:51:55 PM »

Are you aware that Camp Pendleton is leased from the Corillo family for approximately $1.00 per year. Leo Corillo was "Pancho" on the Cisco Kid TV series. He came from an old Spanish family that owned a big spread in SoCal.

Leo also had a son who lived in San Marcos I think, or O-side, or one of those towns. A few years back he killed someone, or tied to kill someone, might have even been a cop. Cant recall the full story. He was sentenced to a  long stay in the slammer though. But on the news stories they always mentioned he was the son of the Cisco Kid TV show.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #836 on: June 30, 2005, 10:48:52 PM »
Thanks, Rules, I never heard that one but I never heard much of anything once I got shipped overseas.

Leo Carillo did play the part of Pancho and Duncan Renaldo was the Cisco Kid. I sort of recall seeing the original Corillo home just south a bit from the San Clemente Gate. Over there someplace east of Tressels. If you're a surfer, you might have seen it too.

What was the name of that TV series in the 60's about the Marine lieutenant.

Was it "The Lieutenant"?  And I don't mean the series with Gomer Pyle. 

They were filming "The Lieutenant" one afternoon while we were all in formation in the foreground and the star had a "dresser" who was busy "blousing" the stars boots while some makeup man was applying makeup to make him look like he had been sweating. 

My whole platoon lost control and burst out laughing in unison when they saw that.

I don't think any Marine has ever had his boots "bloused" by anyone other than himself and never had to "fake a sweat" ........ and it was a funny sight to see......   OK, maybe ya had to have been there!

OK, back to the subject ...... Here's a shot of Joe TONG. Yep, last name is TONG and he is not adopted. I have another friend who is 1/2 Chinese but looks like he is 100% pure Irish.

Anyway, Joe is one of those guys who you respect the moment you meet him. Last time I saw Joe was years ago when he worked for Max Muscle at the Venice store. In fact he might have worked there when it originally opened. (Any help here?)

Say hello to Joe.

AND ......... Thanks, Jeff, better to hear that than being called a hamburger. (You are too tough on these guys, Only! You must have been a DI once or in another lifetime!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #837 on: July 01, 2005, 12:19:03 AM »
Fast story that is kind of out of place here but bear with me a bit and let me tell it.

It did concern a great bodybuilder who was a Drill Instructor in San Diego. He trained with Bill Pearl in Pasadena on a number of occasions.

First .... a definition .... DUTY HUT ,........... a small office for a number of Drill Instructors where they could gather and receive their orders and take a break when heeded. And the place where the DI's would do their best to "break" you. Sometimes they were successful and those who entered were never seen again. I'm sure that they were sent home but we always thought the worse.

This happened towards the end of Boot Camp when we all felt like real Marines and were getting a bit on the cocky side.

Our DI was a full fledged bodybuilder who competed at least once each year just to stay in shape and intimidate the boots. He was not a rocket scientist but he was very good at what the Corp expected of him.

It was an early Saturday morning "Junk on the Bunk" inspection. That meant that everything you owned had to be neatly displayed in a uniform and precise fashion on top of your "rack" on which a quarter had to bounce a certain height under a certain amount of force.

Everything had to be proper in the minutest detail.

There was even a name for a piece of thread that was natural to the toe end of a pair of military socks. If I recall right, that small piece of thread was call a "Maggie's Drawers" and that little piece of string had to be folded in a prescribed manner so it could not be seen by the Inspecting "officer" unless he picked up a sock and took a real close look.

It that happened the Inspecting "officer" would go into a classic example of a controlled epileptic seizure and all hell would break lose. DI's hated Maggies Drawers! Ithink it was a Marine Corps tradition to hate those "Drawers" as much as those DI's did.

Well it was close to graduation so, as I said, we were getting a bit cocky.

So while the Inspecting "officer" was down at the far end of the squad bay, some adventurous fool on my end yells out, "Give me liberty or give me death!"

And our illustrious bodybuilding Inspecting "officer" turned a beet red and yelled, "Who the    F.....K said that?"

And from the squad bay next door, another adventurous fool yelled out, "Patrick Henry said that, Sgt!!"

So now we had two "rebellions" on hand coming from two separate bays.

The DI couldn't let us get away with this insubordination so he immediately marched out of the squad bay leaving us all at rigid attention.

Thirty seconds later our DI is standing outside the barracks on the parade field with a microphone yelling so loud that they probably heard him in downtown San Diego........

...... "Patrick Henry, REPORT TO THE DUTY HUT IMMEDIATELY!"

That's when we all broke up and came to Parade Rest at least.

Patrick Henry never did report to that Duty Hut, but I sure saw it way too many times.

Our DI turned out to be one hell of a great Marine on and off the drill field. A few years later he was assigned to Recon Battalion and tore out his complete bicep in a static line accident while making a jump. But within a year he had recovered enough to stay in the Corps and lifted just as good as the rest of us and sometimes even better.

To this day, he still insists that there was a Patrick Henry in Boot Camp that year. And that was the only Marine in Boot Camp that got away with shit.

"

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #838 on: July 01, 2005, 07:39:19 AM »
Stunt......

There's been many names for those silly little strings that gets everyone in trouble.

When I was in the Corps....they were always referred to Irish pennants.

That was the most common of names....but I have heard many different things they were called.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #839 on: July 01, 2005, 11:04:45 AM »
Ya,Knny, you're right on "Irish Pennants". "Maggies" must have been something on the rifle range. What was that red flag called that used to be waved when the target was completely missed?

This first picture is Mike Scott.  A great man and a great Olympic Lifter and a great power lifter and a national powerlifting judge at one time. He and Gary Watanabe used to own the Power Pit in Pearl City, Hawaii. This shot was taken of Mike when he ran the front door of the Maharaja, one of Hawaii's fancier nightclubs. Mike is now living somewhere by Martha's Vinyard on the northeast coast.

Second shot is a series of Teufel shots taken at one of the Nationals a long time back. Can someone ID the guy who is helping him tan up?

I think it's Larry Gordon.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #840 on: July 01, 2005, 11:23:55 AM »
Here are a couple of shots we took during Gary Leonard's visit to Brett's Gym in Kaneohe and KMCAS gym. This is about one year before he won the last Mr America title.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #841 on: July 01, 2005, 11:31:02 AM »
Ya,Knny, you're right on "Irish Pennants". "Maggies" must have been something on the rifle range. What was that red flag called that used to be waved when the target was completely missed?

This first picture is Mike Scott.  A great man and a great Olympic Lifter and a great power lifter and a national powerlifting judge at one time. He and Gary Watanabe used to own the Power Pit in Pearl City, Hawaii. This shot was taken of Mike when he ran the front door of the Maharaja, one of Hawaii's fancier nightclubs. Mike is now living somewhere by Martha's Vinyard on the northeast coast.

Second shot is a series of Teufel shots taken at one of the Nationals a long time back. Can someone ID the guy who is helping him tan up?

I think it's Larry Gordon.

When you completely missed a target you were waved "Maggie's Drawers"

619Rules

« Reply #842 on: July 01, 2005, 11:39:10 AM »
A young Gary Leonard at the MC base, very young.

I am going to say the guy oiling Ron up is either Grymko or Mentzer?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #843 on: July 01, 2005, 11:43:20 AM »
It's Larry Gordon, Rules!

This first shot is Wayne Anderson, USMC,born and raised in Fremont, California. Trained with Eddie Corney and turned out to be a hell of a good bodybuilder in his own right. Now residing in LV, married and driving a truck all over the west coast. Plans to get back into shape and start competing with the older guys again.

Second shot was taken at the very edge of Los Angeles when Rory Leidelmeyer was still a teenager. That's Rory and Rob Johnson (USN) during a Saturday morning workout. Rob was a good friend of Bill Pearl's and trained at Bill's gym in Pasadena until he got seriously hurt and had to return home in the midwest where he went to work for Remington Arms. Retired, fat and happy now with no plans to compete again.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #844 on: July 01, 2005, 12:00:16 PM »
First shot is a photo of Rory giving ROb a haircut behind the gym. One of the GetBig members recalls this gym but I forget the name or even where it was located. I just remember that the city and county of Los Angeles ended there and the desert took over all the way to LV.

Second shot is Ken Sprague and Bill Grant. This was when Ken owned Gold's Gym and had to sue Joe Gold who figured he could use his own name for his new location down the road in Venice. It went to court and Joe lost. He had given up the rights to his own name when he sold the business to Ken. Ken promoted the best bodybuilding contest of all time in Santa Monica. He even used a real live orchestra to play the posing music, Mae West presented the trophyy to Dave Johns, and the parade with elephants mentioned earlier.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #845 on: July 01, 2005, 12:08:39 PM »
You know when Pete and the gang started to franchise the gyms out they had to go through allot of paperwork and legal stuff throughout the US and world to do so.  Do you know why Arizona was so difficult to have a Gold's Gym.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #846 on: July 01, 2005, 12:15:29 PM »
NO! Why was it tuff in Arizona? I just came from Arizona. Spent some in Sedona which is one spectacular place to see. They got big red rocks there. And then we went to Jerome. Anyone here ever live in Jerome? Hope not. Jerome or Seligman, Arizona ..... Check 'em out on a map or plan a quick "look see" on your next vacation. .......... Oh yea, and check out Tuba City too.

OK, back to the subject matter ...........Can't overlook the Olympic lifters. Don't have all the names at present but AL Wykoff is one.

Most of these guys were coached by Tommy Kono. And it you don't recognize that name, you know nothing about Olympic Lifting.

And the next shot is a picture of the horse who trains every day and is pretty proud of himself and asked it I'd post him pic on GetBig dot Com. He's been taken Equapoise which is still legal in the horsey world.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #847 on: July 01, 2005, 12:52:13 PM »
This one's for my good friend - Absent. Let him figure out if it's true or false.

Actually it is a TRUE story that really happened.

BACK IN THE OLD DAYS, there was a Saturday afternoon TV show for the Bay Area kids about physical activity and fair sportsmenship.

The star of the show was a local bodybuilder (a TV competitor of Jack Lalanne's) and his young son and they would do various exercises for kids and grownups too.

One week someone on the show cams up with a great idea. They would find a calf and every Saturday on live TV, the star of the show would place that calf on his shoulders and do some squats. And they would use that same calf each and every week until it was just too heavy to lift no more!

So every Saturday it was going pretty smoothly. The calf would remain docile acorss the star's shoulders and go along with the program. The kids loved it too.

And then around the fifth Saturday into this calf lifting routine, all shit broke loose.

Everything was fine up until about the 3rd rep, but then the calf decided to fertilize the studio and everyone and everything in it.

He must have been scared shitless cause the shit started flying  and the cameraman just kept on rolling while the start kept on squatting thinking that the cameraman was wise enough to focus on anything other than what was actually happening.

TV screens all over the SF Bay Area where receiving shakey pictures  because the cameraman was laughing too damn hard to hold the camera steady.

And like good lifters everywhere, the lifter stayed with the lift.

And like good cameramen everywhere, the guy behind the camera  filmed the entire story.

The next week they returned to the tried and true method of weight lifting with a York Olympic bar.  And to this day no one knows how heavy a cow would have to get in order to be unliftable.

It was a good experiment but it went astray!

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #848 on: July 01, 2005, 01:05:47 PM »
Legend has it, an ancient Greek strongman named Milo of Crotona did that very thing--lifted a calf every day until it became a full-grown cow.

619Rules

« Reply #849 on: July 01, 2005, 01:49:56 PM »
Thats some funny shit (literally) about the calf. Who were the guys doing the show stunt? Winn Paris was around then, as was Norman Marks, any of them maybe?

Great picture of Golds and Ken, that was Gold's II, which looked like a better location than both Venice locations because of the nice big windows that lets the sun shine in. If there is one major problem I have with the current Gold's, is that it is in a concrete tilt up industrial builiding with NOW WINDOWS and no natural light. Man do I hate that.

Today I can't join a gym which is in a building with no windows, no matter how good the equipment is. It is like working out in a cave-just cant get motivated like that, it saps my energy. When Wolrd moved into their Venice location I really loved it, the place was all bright and open-and easy to train in.