Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550769 times)

reichsfuehrer SS

Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #925 on: July 05, 2005, 12:29:53 PM »
ESPN Classic did a Sportscentury piece on him that was kind of sad, his dad was an alcoholic who beat his mom and him, i think that's where a lot of the temper came from.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #926 on: July 05, 2005, 12:38:09 PM »
I don't think Lyle had weightlifting strength as much as he had physical strength.  Like many football players.  As strong as Coleman is I bet that Lyle would have killed him on the field.  He moved guys bigger than him pretty easy.  When football players grab you they literally can throw you around.  Like Akebono.  As fat as he is he grabs you and you won't get away.  He can through his weight aruond.  I remeber me and him going tothe Governors office here to meet with him for some stupid pubilicty thing for him.  We were walking down the hall and I bump him. he bumps me back and it goes back and forth a few times but everytime he did it to me I went flying.  And i weighed 310.  Allot people are strong physically but can't lift worth shit.

I haven't heard that story about Lyle but I am sure it could be true. I will ask Pete next time I talk to him if I can remember.  He was a little off.  he had a pretty wife and was really nice.  i met her once.

Milly

« Reply #927 on: July 05, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »
Josianne (sp?) I think she would be 25 or 26...I used to work with her and knew her brother

I looked for alfies in google

its now called riverdale fitness

dont know a josianne though

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #928 on: July 05, 2005, 01:20:01 PM »
Re: Alzado's Strength.

Apparently, Alzado for many years was'nt all that strong relative to his size. There use to be a "strongest man" contest for NFL players, I believe Alzado bowed out of a few events at the last minute during the 1982 event rather than take last place.

From a few accounts, this hurt his ego, and caused him to really bust his hump in the gym in the years after that contest.

For what it's worth, the late 70's-early 80's Steelers were probably the players in the league.

There was a few NFL guys in the first WSM competitions.  I remeber John Kolb of the steelers and some O-Lineman from the cardinals who was pretty huge (he cam in third I think), guy from the Bronos I don't remember names but some faired pretty well

reichsfuehrer SS

« Reply #929 on: July 05, 2005, 04:01:58 PM »
the OL from the Cardinals was Bob Young, he was an 800 plus squatter, his brother Doug was one of the few legitimate 600 benchers in the 1970's, him and his brother used to pull huge two man deadlifts. Matuszak also competed in WSM, not sure how he did, a few others were Ross Browner, Craig Wolfsley, Jon Kolb. I remember seeing Reggie White overhead push press 385 at one of the superstar competitions on TV.

619Rules

« Reply #930 on: July 06, 2005, 12:08:57 AM »
Re: Alzado's Strength.

Apparently, Alzado for many years was'nt all that strong relative to his size.

You have to be fuc.king kidding me. Lyle Alzado not STRONG for his size. You are nuts, and I can tell you that from first hand experience.

Only, as for the Twins smacking around the equipment at Gold's and Lyle getting pissed-no way. Alzado had NO RESPECT for the Gold's equipment-NONE.

LYLE ALZADO TRUE STORY.

Sunday afternoon 1982 or 1983-Gold's Gym Venice. Back then it was just the main room- and that was it. I am near the bay roll up door in back, where they had a set of stairs going up to a little landing over looking the gym with 5-6 stationary bikes. Gym is quite-except for ALZADO and two training partners. Next to me is Rick Valente (sp?) and his babe on the bikes. Lyle is doing dead lifts. Looks like he is in the 260-270# range. Little chunky, but big.

Lyle loads the bar EIGHT  PLATES per side with change. 800 Pounds +/-. Never in a million years thought he would lift it. BAM-Lyle takes it straight up........

OK Only-here comes the good part.....after Lyle gets the deadlift he holds it for a few seconds and then BOOM, just flat out lets go of the bar and drops the 800 pounds on the floor. Made the biggest noise you could imagine. I have never seen anyone in a gym treat the place/equipment so badly. Probably cracked the concrete floor. If you trained at Golds Venice back then you already know the green carpet had a hole running from the front door all the way to the back bay door.

The Twins story is very well known, my version was that the Twins made a bet on a Raider game and wouldn't pay up, and asked Lyle what he was going to do about it. Then Lyle knocked him silly and the other Twin ran across the gym to get away from Lyle.

Only-one last question. Those benches at World Gym in front of the windows overlooking Main Street-they had the support/bar holders about 12-16 inches apart, so if you had an extra 5 pounds on one side the bar tipped over-how in the hell could you leave 500# loaded on it? Thats was one of the only things I didn't like about World Gym-those stupid benches.

STREETS

• Getbig II
  • Dont Fuck STREETS
« Reply #931 on: July 06, 2005, 10:01:13 AM »
 Since we are talkin about Lyle, ive always been fan. Did he die of AIDS and his Raiders coach covered it up as ive heard before?  Did he have some "sexual issues" as some have stated, supposedly his ex wife? I mean I have read before alot people he knew were pissed about him blaming the roids when he was dying on TV, as they feel he made a big impact on making steroids illegal.  Anybody know, onlyme, max rep, anybody?
ya do whatcha gotta do then ya walk SimpleSkematic

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #932 on: July 06, 2005, 10:15:38 AM »
There has always been the AIDS rumour....

didn't Matuszak (sp?) die of AIDS?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #933 on: July 06, 2005, 10:59:51 AM »
Not sure about the aids things.  I will ask Pete G that one too.  I think he was one of Lyle pall bearers.

I remember when I first joined the World's Gym.  I thought Tony Nowak was John Matusak.  I went home and was telling everyone he worked out there.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #934 on: July 06, 2005, 11:31:39 AM »
You have to be fuc.king kidding me. Lyle Alzado not STRONG for his size. You are nuts,

Well, what you saw and what he did in competition are two different things.

Here are a couple of articles on Alzado's performance at the 1982 event:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol6no03strongmen.html .

www.dolfzine.com/page609.htm .

(P.S. Sorry, but both artices a have an anti-steroid tinge to them).

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #935 on: July 06, 2005, 11:46:03 AM »
Since we are talkin about Lyle, ive always been fan. Did he die of AIDS and his Raiders coach covered it up as ive heard before?  Did he have some "sexual issues" as some have stated, supposedly his ex wife? I mean I have read before alot people he knew were pissed about him blaming the roids when he was dying on TV, as they feel he made a big impact on making steroids illegal. 

There were two rumors that made the rounds.

Damage done by cadaver HGH, of which Alzado was apparently a big user.

AIDS- Dan Duchaine and a bunch of other guys that were around Gold's when Alzado was there mentioned that used to chat up guys every once and awhile. Also, the type of cancer he died from is found quite a bit in those suffering from AIDS.

Matuszak died of a heart attack.

reichsfuehrer SS

« Reply #936 on: July 06, 2005, 12:40:24 PM »
another football player/actor who was supposed to be very strong was Pete Koch who played Swede in Heartbreak Ridge, anybody have any stories about him/

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #937 on: July 06, 2005, 01:15:29 PM »

There were two rumors that made the rounds.

Damage done by cadaver HGH, of which Alzado was apparently a big user.

AIDS- Dan Duchaine and a bunch of other guys that were around Gold's when Alzado was there mentioned that used to chat up guys every once and awhile. Also, the type of cancer he died from is found quite a bit in those suffering from AIDS.

Matuszak died of a heart attack.

What did Dan Duchaine die from?

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #938 on: July 06, 2005, 01:47:44 PM »
Duchaine had a genetic defect called Poly-Cysistic Kidney Disease. He was adopted and didn't find out about it till he was in prison.

From what I understand most people pass from it in middle age.

He passed the first week in Jan. of 2000. He was 48.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #939 on: July 06, 2005, 02:03:10 PM »
another football player/actor who was supposed to be very strong was Pete Koch who played Swede in Heartbreak Ridge, anybody have any stories about him/

Wow I can't believe you know who Pete Koch is.  Me and Pete had the same Agent.  He beat me out for numerous commercials and TV Shows.  he was a very big guy. He isnow about 50 punds lighter. He played a fireman in Mel Gibson's Conspirecy Therory.  We finnaly worked together on an Old El Paso Salsa commercial.  we read for the same parts allot.  I did beat him out for a South Western Bell and Apple Computer Commercial (even though they had me play an armwrestler when I went in for a football player).  In regards to that commercial the were looking for a football player and when I showed up for the reading (which ended up only being a slate), I think every Raider was there.  Lyle, Matt Millen, Howie, and others.

I remember I thought I had a good spot on the TV show 9 to 5.  Even the casting director thought I had it in the bag.  Then Pete came in last of the day.  There were allot of lines so I figured at that time I could read better and he was more for his big looks.  Well it ended up he got it (beat me again).  I couldn't believe that they would pick him over me since I read so much better.  Well when the show aired I had to see how he did.  well the literally took every line out and all he had to do was grunt.

On another quick note.  I read for a movie with Kim Basinger (forgot name).  Well it paid great and it was 14 lines.  I rmemeber after the casting director met me she loved me and said it looks great. Well the next day came and she called me.  She said you won't belive the guy who came in this morning he washuge and the director loved his look.  So they gave the part to him. It was my old friend Big John Studd who I did a talk show in Miami with a couple years earlier.  In that business you really learn to be humble and learn to take rejection.  Oh well.

619Rules

« Reply #940 on: July 06, 2005, 02:14:41 PM »

Well when the show aired I had to see how he did.  well the literally took every line out and all he had to do was grunt.

I think I said this before in this thread, but Steve Henneberry, AKA "Tower" from American Gladiator fame, had  part in  WB network sitcom called "Muscle". This was the first year the WB had any series on the air and they only had 3 nights of programing.

Anyway, Henneberry had the part of the stereotypical BBer who was a complete IDIOT. If you want to end your movie/film career-take a part like this-you will never get hired again.

No speaking lines at all. He just would stand there looking stupid with a Mr Muscle Beach banner strapped over his shoulder, like they have in the beauty pagents, and a pair of psoing trunks and GRUNT.

Steve was a minority partner in Golds Gym San Diego, with Rick Stephenson, when they took over in 1986. He also got caught up in the big steriod bust and had to relinquish his share of the gym back to Ed Connors.

Dan Duchaine, since he is dead and can't sue me, was one of the main players in this steroid ring.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #941 on: July 06, 2005, 02:18:55 PM »

Dan Duchaine, since he is dead and can't sue me, was one of the main players in this steroid ring.

Dont be so sure

;)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #942 on: July 06, 2005, 02:22:02 PM »
George Jackson didn't even train, he was a pencil pusher but knew Ed from doing the Venice books, which was his in with Gold's. If you think that Vista location off the 78 is bad, you should have seen the location that Rick and Co. opened on Hill Street (now Coast Hyway)! PATHETIC!

Rules....I talked with my friend yesterday & he says George has bought the Ken Norton's Gym off the 5 in Orange County & he believes it's now a World's Gym.

He says George is still buying & selling gyms.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #943 on: July 06, 2005, 02:26:55 PM »
Ken Norton had a gym in Inglewood back in the 70's

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #944 on: July 06, 2005, 03:47:46 PM »
Ken Norton had a gym in Inglewood back in the 70's

I believe that's what it was called.....

619Rules

« Reply #945 on: July 06, 2005, 04:52:54 PM »
Rules....I talked with my friend yesterday & he says George has bought the Ken Norton's Gym off the 5 in Orange County & he believes it's now a World's Gym.

He says George is still buying & selling gyms.

"Ken Norton's Gold's Gym"......had great freeway signage. I used to have to go to LA every Friday and would always see that gym. I think it has changed hands several times now.

Ken Norton was a big Gold's fan in the early 80's. He was in many of their print ads. He looked like a BBer if you ever saw him in his prime. He was extremely buffed. Looked like Apollo Creed from Rocky!

Good for George Jackson-he is doing OK then.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #946 on: July 06, 2005, 04:56:23 PM »
"Ken Norton's Gold's Gym"......had great freeway signage. I used to have to go to LA every Friday and would always see that gym. I think it has changed hands several times now.

Ken Norton was a big Gold's fan in the early 80's. He was in many of their print ads. He looked like a BBer if you ever saw him in his prime. He was extremely buffed. Looked like Apollo Creed from Rocky!

Good for George Jackson-he is doing OK then.

I guess so....

I know he's making some good money

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #947 on: July 06, 2005, 05:29:05 PM »
I met Ken Norton at Hall of Fame banquet with Muhammed Ali.  in fact just about every single name in boxing was there.  His son sure does good for himself.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #948 on: July 10, 2005, 08:57:54 PM »
Onlyme you were going to show us a photo of that Han-D-Gas fart device that you treasure. Where does one get that device? That restaurant story of yours is the best in this series.

Vince

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #949 on: July 11, 2005, 12:08:49 AM »
I will take it tommorrow.  I just got a brand new laptop.  It is a Gateway M680.  It has 17" screen.  It is awesome.  1 gig ram.  I just loaded all my software.  The nachine is in my car.