Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550736 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #1025 on: October 21, 2005, 12:03:16 PM »
Okay a couple of entertanment stories.  I was just watching Jay Leno and Debra Messing just reminded me.

I was on the TV show Dynasty back in 1988 or so,  I was a football player.  I had 5 lines if I remember right and it was also the first show I did where I got my own trailer all by myself and didn't have to share.  I remember arriving on location looking to where I go and a PA came up to me and siad Mr. Jones your trailer is around the corner.  I go and see my own trailer.  I had to run back to my car and get a camera so I could take a pic.  I had a pic and would post it but I lost it.

Anyway, we are on the field getting ready to shoot a scene.  We are all talking and one of the other players ask Jack Ford(?) if he was really gay.  He played a gay guy on the show and was the owner of the team.  He said no.  The guy said man why would you play a gay on TV.  Everyone is going to think you are a fag.  Jakc replies, for $35,000 a week I play anything.  Everyone just couldn't believe how much money that was and all agreed we'd play fags for that to.

As the scene is going it's my turn to talk and I make a mistake.  So we go again,  Then another guys makes a mistake we go again.  Well this happened about 4 or 5 times in a row.  Well now Jack is getting a little pissed.  Then we start again and he makes a mistake. He gets so embarrased he starts to laugh and blames me for starting the trend and we all started laughing uncontrollably.  You knw the kind where you just can;t stop. After several minutes we all decided to get this scene shot.  So now we are all very serious and Jakc looks at me and just start cracking up.  He ended up going to his trailer and we all went to craft services had a bite to eat and about 15 minutes later we came back and finished.

On a side note: when I went in to read for this part I met went the Shapiros who were the producers.  I go into their office and they ask me a few questions.  They asked me if I played football and I said no I armwrestle.  Mr. Shapiro says, I know where I heard your name before.  He picks up a Time Miagazine that wass on the table and turned the pages to a featured article they did on me and a show I did in Ft. Lauderdale.  It was really neat and they hired me. 

I'll tell the other story tommorrow if I remember.  It's about me getting busted for joyriding.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1026 on: October 29, 2005, 03:11:35 AM »
Okay, back around 78' or so I used to train at a club that used to be a Vic tanny's Gym in Hawthorne but changed its name to Renassaise Health Spa.  When I went there it was owned by a very thick guy by the name of Bill Stuges.  He was about 6'3" 260 but had a huge barrell chest and reall skinny legs with no ass.  You know the kind where the pants barely hang on.  Gene Mozee worked there too.  Anyway, I used to help around the club so I never had to pay dues.  It was the typical 70's health club.  Allot of chrome equipment and even a pool.  Where giving private swimming lessons always turned into some kind of kinky sex romp.

Anyway, I was pretty strong back then as was Bill.  But we both couldn't bench 405 yet.  He was really close as was I.  I weighed around 230 at that time.  We used to go to Dinah's for chicken every Tuesday night for their great chicken feast.    Anyway one night we were all eating and we were talking about benching and Bill bet me he would bench 405 before I could.  I said okay.

So we did it.  I trained so hard for this.  IN short I did beat him to 405.  But for the longest time I could only bench 405 with 315 then adding all 10's and 5's.  If I tried it with 4 45's, I would just dump it on my chest.
I don't what would happen.  I wuld even have guys load the bar without even looking at it.  But I still would dump it.  Finally I got over that when I started to train at World Gym in 79'

Later on I talked to Bill and he was benching 500.  He looked exactly the same just stronger.  I actually saw him running down the street.  He told me he wanted to be the first man to bench 500 lbs. and finish the LA Marathon.

Jump ahead to 1993 or so.  I am on Kauai.  I am driving to Waimea Canyon (nickname Grand Canyon of the Pacific).  Anyway I am gong down this road that had nothing anywhere around it.  When all of a sudden I see one of those small trailers that serve food.  SO I turned in to get something to eat and drink.  I am the only one there.  This old man was working inside and he told me he owned it.  Anyway, we start talking and he asks me where I am from.  I tell him Manhattan Beach and Hawthorne, Ca.  He then tells me he is from Torrance but he owned a gym in Hawthorne.  Well I thought I knew every gym in the area, so I ask him the name of it.  He said it was called Renassaise Health Club.  I said no way my friend owns that place.  He said no I owned it first when he bought it frm Vic Tanny and then changed the name and later sold it to Bill Sturges.  I said no way he said yes way and we could'nt believe it.  What a small world we said.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1027 on: October 29, 2005, 08:34:34 AM »
Onlyme....

If you couldn't bench 405 with (4) 45's on each side, but could do it by using 10's & 5's it may have been in your mind like you thought.  Using the idea of not looking at the weight sometimes helps but you said you still had problems with it.

Did you ever think of weighing those 45's?

Throughout time, I have found that 45lb plates can have a huge inconsistency of accuracy.

I have seen it very common for a 45lb plate being plus or minus 2-3 lbs if it's a standard cast steel using cheaper manufacturing process.  In very rare circumstances 4-5 lbs plus or minus. 

With 4 45's on each side...that can be plus or minus anywhere between 8-15lbs on each side.

When you're attempting a max lift...this can make you miss easily.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1028 on: October 29, 2005, 10:38:36 AM »
Yes that could have been it.  They were those old thick plates.  Sometimes there would be a mix of plates on there.  I know it was mental.  I remeber when  first did 550 they guys told me it was 525 which was my previous best.  They all laughed and went crazy when I did it.  I asked them what they were doing and they said it was 550 and to count the weight.  So Idid and it was.  They all said they knew I could do it.  Ray was laughing the whole time.  The mental state got involved with me allot.  I would try 500 and not do it, but then say to the guys no no I was breathing wrong, then get uder the bar right after dumping it, then lift it after concentrating more on my breathing.  I was really weird that way.

Now the reason why I am not lifting as often is mental.  I need to get back into that "I can't wait to get to the gym mode".  It's all mental to me.

619Rules

« Reply #1029 on: October 29, 2005, 11:06:39 AM »
At Clancy Ross's Mr America gym we  weighed every single 45 pound plate-and they were all off-anywhere from 43-49 pounds each. Then we painted a number on the plate-a 3 if it was 43 and a 6 if 46# and so forth so you have a calibrated set. At Golds San Diego we had a Russian made olympic set that had calibrated chrome weights-Ivanko sells similar plates-but they are expensive but you know they are on the money. Calibrated to witin a few grams of the stated weight-and the way they were machined was cool b/c everytime you touched your chest or extended all the way out the plates would hit together and make a cool chiming sound. Dip shit Rick Stephenson gave that set away b/c the plates did not fit American bars......

When ever we went heavy at Clancy's club we would find all the light 45#-the 43's and 44's so we always made the max lifts with lighter than stated weight-but hey-it looks good slamming 45$ plates around......

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1030 on: October 29, 2005, 11:19:22 AM »
At Clancy Ross's Mr America gym we  weighed every single 45 pound plate-and they were all off-anywhere from 43-49 pounds each. Then we painted a number on the plate-a 3 if it was 43 and a 6 if 46# and so forth so you have a calibrated set. At Golds San Diego we had a Russian made olympic set that had calibrated chrome weights-Ivanko sells similar plates-but they are expensive but you know they are on the money. Calibrated to witin a few grams of the stated weight-and the way they were machined was cool b/c everytime you touched your chest or extended all the way out the plates would hit together and make a cool chiming sound. Dip shit Rick Stephenson gave that set away b/c the plates did not fit American bars......

When ever we went heavy at Clancy's club we would find all the light 45#-the 43's and 44's so we always made the max lifts with lighter than stated weight-but hey-it looks good slamming 45$ plates around......

I could see Rick doing that.

Hey 619....I've been meaning to ask you a question.

Back in the 90's there was a guy that trained & lived in San Diego.  He was in quite a few magazines & although he wasn't a mass monster, he had great conditioning & calves.  He had long brown hair always in a pony tail.

What's his name?

For the life of me...I can't remember.

619Rules

« Reply #1031 on: October 29, 2005, 12:11:59 PM »
His name was Roger Stewart-won a few shows in Florida-had great wheels/calves but no upper body........I have wheels and calves that are better.....I was gone from Gold's when he started training there-moved up to Frog's Solana Beach, best move I ever made.......

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1032 on: October 29, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »
His name was Roger Stewart-won a few shows in Florida-had great wheels/calves but no upper body........I have wheels and calves that are better.....I was gone from Gold's when he started training there-moved up to Frog's Solana Beach, best move I ever made.......

Yup....Thats his guy Stewart.

What was weird, there was a time in the 90's when he was in a lot of magazines then "poof".....he disappeared.

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1033 on: October 30, 2005, 09:57:18 PM »
Seriously Keith if you were to write a book i would purchase it. I love the stories

619Rules

« Reply #1034 on: November 14, 2005, 01:57:57 PM »
Seriously Keith if you were to write a book i would purchase it. I love the stories

I am going to be editor-I need to have a piece of this book b/c it is going to make serious $$$$$    ;D ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1035 on: November 15, 2005, 10:22:31 AM »
You guys are funny.  I don't have any different stories than any of you.  I just tell mine.  If you guys told your stories they would be great too.

619Rules

« Reply #1036 on: November 18, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »
You guys are funny.  I don't have any different stories than any of you.  I just tell mine.  If you guys told your stories they would be great too.

Onlyme-

Did you ever run into a guy named Steve Guri at World Gym/SM in the early 80's?

He was a BBer who got kicked out of Gold's for almost getting into a fight with Ray Mentzer, and he ended up at World. Matt Mendenhall was also training at World then.

Did you ever know Steve? He was a dancer for Chippendales.......

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1037 on: November 19, 2005, 12:08:01 AM »
No I don't know him.  But I did know a guy named Sam who danced at Chipendales.  He was the biggest and most muscular guy they had.  Really popular back in the early 80's.  I had a couple other friends who worked as servers there.  They told me one time they talked to their boss and that if I wanted to be a server I could.  I didn't think so.  I liked the idea of having the girls all grab me but not the idea of walking around with just a tie on and some pants.  Sam was really popular.  Appeared in allot things and he benched 500.  Had blond hair and a mustache if I remember right. 

The other two guys were friends of mine.  Shane Redmond and Kenny Halbert.  These two guys were better looking than any male model anywhere.  Shane weightlifted allot and he was a high 400 bencher.  Chisled look with a great look.  Kenny was Robert Redfords twin.  He used to get picked up on everyhwre he went.  It was really sad.  Back then stewardesses were hot.  He would get off the flight with their phone numbers.  I was with him numerous times when girls would literally get out of their car and give him their phone number.  In Palm Springs we had allot of fun. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #1038 on: November 26, 2005, 12:58:53 PM »
I`m sure you guys know most of these people.............Dave Mastorakis is a good friend of mine.

That guy to the right or Ron Tuefel. I think his name is Mike Torchia or something like that. He competed in the New Haven, CT area regional contests when I was just starting to go to shows in 1978/1979. By the way I remember that photo in I think Muscle and Fitness around 1981 or 1982. Would that be correct? Thank you.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1039 on: November 26, 2005, 01:30:39 PM »
Here's some pics I took of Ron Magnum after one of his wins at Mt. park.

Where and when was that photo of Ron Mangum take? He is from Hamden, CT. I played football against him in high school.
The House that Ruth built

joelbrandw

• Getbig II
« Reply #1040 on: December 28, 2005, 03:20:11 PM »
My meeting with Ed Corney . . .  I've been training since I was 14 years old . . . I'm now 40.  I've always followed the sport but have never been interested in competing myself.  I have a few personal training clients and I still do some body modeling work (Men’s Health Magazine, etc.) but doing a show was just not appealing to me.  A few “comrades” at the gym continued to urge me to walk on stage “just once”, and so I finally gave in and entered the San Francisco NPC show this past October.  Knowing it was going to be my first (and last) contest, I chose not to enter as a Novice or Masters but just go for it and jump into the Open class.  I was three pounds too heavy to be a middleweight so I wound up in the light-heavyweight division with guys that were 15 to 18 pounds heavier than me.  I walked outside that morning, after the weigh-in and registration, feeling foolish for even choosing to do the show and like a small skinny “kid” among the bigger guys I was to walk on stage with that day . . . and then I ran right into Ed Corney sitting and talking with my girlfriend.  He had been a childhood hero of mine, but honestly, I had no idea who he was that day.  I told them both that I hadn’t made middleweight and that the guys in there looked “big” and I felt like an idiot for competing.  Ed said, “Well, I used to walk in and see all these guys that were so much bigger than me and then I’d go on stage and I'd beat them all”.  I still had no idea who the hell he was . . . but then it sort of started to hit . . . and the rest, as they say, is history.  He and I are now working on his website and a few other projects together and I speak with him about four or five times a week.  I guess that’s the reason I did the show . . . I just couldn’t have predicted it.  You can see Ed's new official website at http://www.EdCorney.net . . . you can see some vintage style physique images that my friend shot of me a week before that show at http://www.jbarts.com/bodyshotsmall/

I won third place in the light-heavyweight division, got an ugly trophy and made a new friend for life.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1041 on: December 28, 2005, 07:57:31 PM »
Joe glad to have you here.  It's been awhile since anyone posted n this thread.  It was getting a little lonely.  I'll have to come up with another story to tell.  I now you guys out there have more stories where are they!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1042 on: December 29, 2005, 12:54:46 PM »
Thanks for the Ed story and photo, Joel.

I've known Ed since the days when he was still an amateur training at Bob's Gym in Fremont, California.

A few of us went with Ed to see him win his pro card but I don't recall where and when that occured.

I had breakfast with Ed many years ago at THE GERMAN's (anyone remember that place?) and he was giving serious consideration about leaving the competitive side of the sport, but I don't recall if he ever did compete again after that discussion.

This all happened a long while back.

But recently I've been running into Ed at various contests in California and have had some enjoyable moments talking about the old times. 

He's looking good and doing well and is still one of the greats in my mind.

Going to the bigger contests today is like going back to a High School Reunion.

Great going in that SF contest, Joel. I strongly suggest that you continue competing for as long as possible. A few more pounds and you could be a major contenda.  Good going!

Yes, Only, that is Torchia.

Here is a photo of someone with great guns. I have no idea who he is but this is the kind of build I recall winning the trophies in most of the amateur shows back in the 60's.

joelbrandw

• Getbig II
« Reply #1043 on: December 29, 2005, 03:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the Ed story and photo, Joel.

I've known Ed since the days when he was still an amateur training at Bob's Gym in Fremont, California.

A few of us went with Ed to see him win his pro card but I don't recall where and when that occurred.

I had breakfast with Ed many years ago at THE German's (anyone remember that place?) and he was giving serious consideration about leaving the competitive side of the sport, but I don't recall if he ever did compete again after that discussion.

This all happened a long while back.

But recently I've been running into Ed at various contests in California and have had some enjoyable moments talking about the old times. 

He's looking good and doing well and is still one of the greats in my mind.

Going to the bigger contests today is like going back to a High School Reunion.

Great going in that SF contest, Joel. I strongly suggest that you continue competing for as long as possible. A few more pounds and you could be a major contenda.  Good going!

Yes, Only, that is Torchia.

Here is a photo of someone with great guns. I have no idea who he is but this is the kind of build I recall winning the trophies in most of the amateur shows back in the 60's.

Thanks for sharing your memories of hanging out with Ed . . . He reads his guestbook on his website with some regularity . . .

http://www.a-free-guestbook.com/guestbook.php?username=joelbrandw

If you have the time, you should go post a message to him there, I'm sure he'll remember you . . . and that's one of things that's been so great about this new website for him . . . all of the old friends who have recontacted him in just the past few months.

Thanks - Joel

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1044 on: December 30, 2005, 11:15:08 AM »
I am just cut and pasting this from another thread I just put it in.  I thought it would be okay here too.

My very first weightlifting mentor was Doc Duran.  He was a trainer at Vince's Gym back in the 50's and early 60's.  He was something else.  Every kid in the neighborhood went to his house where he had a gym (complete with boxing ring) built in his converted garage.  Everyone had a workout book that Doc would look at everyone every night and see what you did in your workout then write your next days workout.  It was really something when I look back at that.  I started training the summer between my freshman and sophmore year in high school.  That was in 1973. 

BigBlack

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1045 on: December 30, 2005, 04:19:56 PM »
  Living in Toronto Canada my only real pro story would be the time I meet Mohammed Makawy. His pics were all over the Vince Gironda book I had just bought called "unleashing the wild physique." The guy looked like somone had peeled the skin right off him he was so cut. One day I saw an ad in a muscle mag about his muscle store which happened to be about 5kms from my place.

Driving down I actually pumped up before seeing the guy. I'd been only working out for 4 years but had a good physique with 17 inch arms. So I walk into the store and the place looked near bankruptcy. Three quaters of shelves were empty and Mohamed was there with his wife behind the counter.  He was smaller and very short (he looked about 5 '1' or so), but quite defined and muscular. So I'm there, introduce myself and tell him he still looks fantasic. His wife gets all excited, hearing a fan being so enthusiastic. Then the shocker, I hear Makawy call me a rasist term (no mistake here the dreaded N word, lol). I couldn't bellieve it! Here is a man I looked up to from the glossy pages of the magazines, and I was about to punch his lights out! Luck for him when my head cleared after a few seconds. He began to lighten up at the mention of Vince Gironda refering to him as "a nice old man."

His old pro trophies were behind the counter. One was the Night of Champions win I believe.  I asked him if any masters contests were in his future. He seemed quite anti bodybuilding as far as competition went calling it "sillines." By the end of the conversation he was beeming at my recounts of how great he was. I even bought 2 tubs of protein powder from him and got them autographed. They are still in my basement today.

A few minutes later I left feeling mixed about the whole thing. Live and let live. Somewhat of a let down, but things were tough for him. The store went belly up 2 months later. Oddly enough, about 2 years later he ended up competing on the pro circuit in the European circuit after the Olympia, placing near last in a  couple of contests. Gone was the ultra shreded definition. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1046 on: December 30, 2005, 04:35:43 PM »
  Living in Toronto Canada my only real pro story would be the time I meet Mohammed Makawy. His pics were all over the Vince Gironda book I had just bought called "unleashing the wild physique." The guy looked like somone had peeled the skin right off him he was so cut. One day I saw an ad in a muscle mag about his muscle store which happened to be about 5kms from my place.

Driving down I actually pumped up before seeing the guy. I'd been only working out for 4 years but had a good physique with 17 inch arms. So I walk into the store and the place looked near bankruptcy. Three quaters of shelves were empty and Mohamed was there with his wife behind the counter.  He was smaller and very short (he looked about 5 '1' or so), but quite defined and muscular. So I'm there, introduce myself and tell him he still looks fantasic. His wife gets all excited, hearing a fan being so enthusiastic. Then the shocker, I hear Makawy call me a rasist term (no mistake here the dreaded N word, lol). I couldn't bellieve it! Here is a man I looked up to from the glossy pages of the magazines, and I was about to punch his lights out! Luck for him when my head cleared after a few seconds. He began to lighten up at the mention of Vince Gironda refering to him as "a nice old man."

His old pro trophies were behind the counter. One was the Night of Champions win I believe.  I asked him if any masters contests were in his future. He seemed quite anti bodybuilding as far as competition went calling it "sillines." By the end of the conversation he was beeming at my recounts of how great he was. I even bought 2 tubs of protein powder from him and got them autographed. They are still in my basement today.

A few minutes later I left feeling mixed about the whole thing. Live and let live. Somewhat of a let down, but things were tough for him. The store went belly up 2 months later. Oddly enough, about 2 years later he ended up competing on the pro circuit in the European circuit after the Olympia, placing near last in a  couple of contests. Gone was the ultra shreded definition. 

If you said his attitude was off & he called you the "n" word....I am not surprised by the store closing.

I guess it could've been anything though.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #1047 on: December 31, 2005, 01:50:36 AM »
Stories re Pros & Legends? I may just have a few. In brief, my first contest was the 1978 Teenage Mr. Tarhill. My friend Arron Baker won (no, I didn't get 2nd, but I did make the evening show..... barely), did some powerlifting and worked/trained at Gold's Gym Venice for many years, so I have some exposure to the sport. LOL.  I'll post some stuff ASAP.

Great stuff so far! Thanks.

-Tom
a

unknownBB

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1048 on: January 05, 2006, 10:19:16 PM »
Wes, you got three right. Good going! I won't tell you which ones yet cause I might mess it up for the others who may want to give it a try.

WAS ANYONE AT THE FOLLOWING EVENT?

Back in the early 70's, there was an IFBB contest promoted in Tiajuana. Since it was right across the boarder in one of TJ.'s finer hotels, a lot of California fans drove down to watch.

It must have been an amateur event because Bob Birdsong won the overall that year, and deservedly so. He was in the best shape of his short career in that contest.

But Bob is not the subject of this story, so let's skip over to the back of the room where Sergio Oliva is sitting on a table yelling at Joe Weider who was right up front sitting with the officials and Arnold and Franco flanking both his sides.

Whenever there was a lull in the contest, Sergio would break the silence with an odd sounding voice ........ "I'm here in the back challenging Arnold to get up there on that stage with me today!"

He was all business and dead serious and the front table did their best to ignore the voice coming from the back.

So this went on for an hour or so ........ strange voice from a bodybuilder already well known in the back and complete avoidance from the table up front.

Finally something had to be done to shut him up so Joe Weider stood up and addressed the crowd but not directly to the strange voice in the back.

"Arnold is not going to accept a challenge today!" followed by some flimsey excuse of some sort or another.

So, as any crowd usually does whenever Joe Weider takes the floor to speak, the fans started booing and hissing and making Joe take his seat more quickly than he usually does.

So, what happens next??!

Franco hops up to quiet the crowd and announces that he will accept Sergio;s challange, but that didn't seem to satisfy too many people and definitely not Sergio.

But when everyone saw that Arnold was not going to give in, the crown offered one more major "booooooo" and gradually quieted down to see if this would be agreeable with Sergio.

Sergio was pissed but with a few unkind words directed at Joe and Arnold he eventually agreed to meet Franco up there on that stage whenever Franco  felt he was ready, Sergio would just stay where he was and would go on stage whenever Franco was willing to be annihilated by The Myth.

So the crowd settled back and waited.  while the rest of the show went on.

About an hour later, Franco and Arnold went backstage to pump up while Sergio waited patiently.

And then Franco was ready and came on stage looking far less than his best but ready to give his best for his faithful sidekick.

From the back Sergio yelled something like, "Are you ready"" and slowly walked up the aisle while removing his shirt revealing a contest ready form prepared  to do battle against  anyone willing to accept the challenge. Today it would be Franco, Second best would have to do!

All eyes stayed on Sergio those next few minutes. He was definitely unbelieveable and unbeatable even if  Franco had been  his best.

And many felt that Arnold and Joe had made a wise decision. Sergio would have made him look damn bad as well!

I don't recall seeing Arnold in the room after that humbling experience.

In fact I think Weider took a short-cut too.

After that contest we headed into town to visit the local pharmacies to load up on gear but everyone was out of everything they had because "There must be some major bodybuilding contest in town! Come back next week, Come back next week!

So we crossed the boarder empty handed but with a pretty good story to tell the guys in the gym who didn't come to TJ town that weekend.

That is the best damn story I've read yet on this thing!! I wish I could have been there! Was anyone else?

Any chance anyone has pics from it?

Jay Em

• Getbig II
  • The iron bug may rust... but will never die!
« Reply #1049 on: January 16, 2006, 07:30:37 PM »
Another Marine has landed!