Author Topic: smart bodybuilder (Rich Piana)  (Read 45045 times)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
smart bodybuilder (Rich Piana)
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:23:41 PM »

Quote from:
rich.. this may be a silly question but, why such high reps?.. would muscle growth be better if reps were a little lower?.. ia m always cuerious as to the in's and out;s of competitors training and have not seen reps ranges like the ones you use.. just curious as to what ya used to aquire mass.? was it always higher reps ect.. just curious..

Quote from: Rich Piana
I kept getting slight muscle tears doing the usual 6-12 reps. There comes a point where your just moving more weight than your body can handle and eventually it will catch up. So I started doing sets of 20 and trying to build the weight up every workout. Doing heavy weight for high reps is alot harder than doing low reps.

Example: There is a guy at the gym where I train at who every squat day goes up to 5 plates does like 6 reps. Then over to leg press loads up as many plates as the machine can hold and does 8-10 reps. Now I have to say his form is good, squats all the way down, good range on the leg press. One day he tells me he cant get his legs to grow.
I was training a client and invited him to work in with us.
10 sets of 20 reps with 225 on squats
His first set he did 24 all the way down perfect form and acted like it was easy. (smart ass)
Next set he struggled to get 20.
Third set he got 12 and wanted to rack it, I spotted him and made him get 20.
There was no fourth set, he threw up and left the gym.
Next time I saw him he was back to his old workout.
Try 10 sets of 20 reps on squats (rest 2-3 min)

Anyway back to the question, after doing this wokout for a while I felt like I was getting better results so I kept with it.

You have to try different things and come up with your own opinion. I remember reading as does everyone, chest you have to bench press so I did cause thats what I read. I would feel nothing in the muscle and it would hurt my shoulder but thats what I had to do if I wanted a chest like Arnolds. Then I would go over to cables and do cross-overs and get a pump in my chest that was insane. Is cross-overs a better exercise than flat bench? For me yes I dont go near the bench, haven't for about 5 years. Maybe for someone else it the exact opposite. Everyones different, not one exercise is best for everyone.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
Re: smart bodybuilder (Rich Piana)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 07:26:05 PM »
 Isn't he the guy selling a shirt that says "187 Murder" on it ?::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 07:28:06 PM »
hmm, he's got a good point. maybe he can give this guy some help. he's been doing really low reps on the squats and it doesn't look like it's helping.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 07:32:14 PM »
Its true.
My training partner started dong high reps for squats. he now can do 315 for 20 reps. Thats impressive imho. It happened because he was doing 225 for 20, then it just made him stronger..it was the toughest thing he ever did.. i tried it..lol..scary...i might try it again..instead of working up to 405 for 5-6...

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 07:47:13 PM »
A lot of guys I know have been doing "20 rep squats" and growing off it, it was the big thing about a year ago. I've tried it and it's brutal.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 07:54:03 PM »
I used to do 20 sets of 8-20 reps of squats. That hurt.
just push some weight!

body88

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 07:59:48 PM »
I tried training with higher reps and had shitty results. My body responds best to heavy weight. I try to increase my weight on all exercises by 10 lbs per week. Heavy weight +Basic movements+ shocking muscle = mass. For me anyway..

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:35:56 PM »
hmm, he's got a good point. maybe he can give this guy some help. he's been doing really low reps on the squats and it doesn't look like it's helping.

Ronnie has been known to do 50reps per set...

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 08:42:20 PM »
I think your rep scheme is something you have to experiment with. some guys grow on heavy weight low reps. Other guys just tear their joints apart doing that , and grow on high reps (pump artist). When I trained with Vince Gironda years ago, he said you have to get the blood into the muscle to grow - get a good pump.  How you get a good pump may depend on your genetic makeup- fast twitch vs slow twitch fibre  type. Bottom line .....you should experiment and see what makes you grow.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:56:37 AM »
I need heavy weight to grow.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 03:32:44 AM »
I think your rep scheme is something you have to experiment with. some guys grow on heavy weight low reps. Other guys just tear their joints apart doing that , and grow on high reps (pump artist). When I trained with Vince Gironda years ago, he said you have to get the blood into the muscle to grow - get a good pump.  How you get a good pump may depend on your genetic makeup- fast twitch vs slow twitch fibre  type. Bottom line .....you should experiment and see what makes you grow.

There's no way you personally trained with Vince Gironda! ::)....or did you?  ???

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 05:36:54 AM »
Platz said that heavy lifting put on size but after he concluded that he had just enough size, that for detail and cuts he did 1 Set of Squats 20-30 @315, then 3 sets of 20 reps for Hack, 3 sets of 20 to 25 on Leg Ext, and finished with 3 sets of 20 to 30 on Leg curls.....

Discuss
L

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 06:36:12 AM »
Isn't he the guy selling a shirt that says "187 Murder" on it ?::)

dude looks pretty damm good to me!!

(300 lbs in these shots)

pwrnxs

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 06:40:08 AM »
...I try to increase my weight on all exercises by 10 lbs per week....
So you add over 500 lbs to "all exercises" every year?  You should be in some sort of record book.  I've not made that kind of progress since I started seriously lifting 15 years ago.

Please post some footage of these crazy lifts or else kindly admit that you're full of shit.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 07:32:53 AM »
I did the 20 rep squat for a while, but had to give it up due to lack of focus...you've got to be focused like mofo to do these.  I did see some decent gains though.....today is leg day so I'm giving it another go  ;)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 07:42:34 AM »
I used to do 20 sets of 8-20 reps of squats. That hurt.

so you were not going to failure or even close to failure cause you would have been puking your guts out...20 sets of squats...that's about the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile...
nasser=piece of shit

body88

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 07:48:47 AM »
So you add over 500 lbs to "all exercises" every year?  You should be in some sort of record book.  I've not made that kind of progress since I started seriously lifting 15 years ago.

Please post some footage of these crazy lifts or else kindly admit that you're full of shit.

I did not say I did this for years on end... I try to add 10 lbs per week on exercises until a point obviously. I change exercises up every week and have a log of what I did and did not do. If i do benchpresses one week I do presses with DUmbells the next. i did not claim i add 10 lbs every week for years making my lifts become record setting. I TRY to add 10 lbs per week on things and when I reach strenth Limits I stay with the weight obv

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 07:51:14 AM »
10 sets of 20 on squats is a great program................. ...to turn your legs into toothpicks.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 07:57:16 AM »
10 sets of 20 on squats is a great program................. ...to turn your legs into toothpicks.

wow...you and I agree on something. You might be able to do this if you were on loads of gear but no way in hell could a natural do this, unless he was only doing about 35% of his max weight and he still might overtrain.  The squat is a brutal movement, I'll be the first to admit that I hate them but I've been forcing myself to do them and no way could I do 10 sets of 20...at least not how I do them...
nasser=piece of shit

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 08:06:22 AM »
To some of you who said they didn't grow - I think the 20 rep squat thing should by cycled in between heavy cycles of weight. When you stop growing with heavy, give it a shot, I bet it pushes you through the plateau. The main thing to remember is you need to pick a weight that makes that 20th rep almost a failure. If you do 20 fairly easily, you're not doing it right.

tiny-tit bounty hunter

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 08:08:26 AM »
To some of you who said they didn't grow - I think the 20 rep squat thing should by cycled in between heavy cycles of weight. When you stop growing with heavy, give it a shot, I bet it pushes you through the plateau. The main thing to remember is you need to pick a weight that makes that 20th rep almost a failure. If you do 20 fairly easily, you're not doing it right.

yeah maybe one or two sets but do 10 and you'll be a slim, trim, slender overtrained little twat.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 08:11:56 AM »
Haha.

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 08:15:24 AM »
yeah maybe one or two sets but do 10 and you'll be a slim, trim, slender overtrained little twat.

LOL, yes, you don't want to make it a permanent workout.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »
\

true, you can tell someone is full of shit or juiced to the gills-which I have no problem with-if they are doing 10 sets of 20...your cns would be so messed up....
nasser=piece of shit

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 10:10:39 AM »
so you were not going to failure or even close to failure cause you would have been puking your guts out...20 sets of squats...that's about the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile...

That program is for real men. I always went to failure. It took 2 hours to complete. I used to do it with quadzilla. My workout partner never when over 250 pounds on squads but his legs used to be humongus! Plus his a natural.
just push some weight!