Author Topic: lookin' at english bulldogs.  (Read 7253 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
lookin' at english bulldogs.
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »
been looking around for a while, now i think i've figured out the breed for me.

i was at a local dog spot recently. a good one, this guy works with breeders (no puppy mills or the like), and ran into this little guy and damned if i wasn't in love. not sure i'll go for him specifically, but i know i'm gonna end up with a bulldog.

only thing: $2500+? damn. that's gonna bite into the ol' budget.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: lookin' at english bulldogs.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »
Great looking dogs no doubt, though unfortunately they are prone to some health problems. Most common are respiratory problems, so there definitely dogs that don't need long walks or to go on runs. From what i know (friend has one) they require a fair amount of care and maintenance, and an owner with deep pockets ;)
The sad thing is the lifespan, you would be very lucky to get 10 years out of a very healthy British Bulldog. :(

Great looking dogs and a kinda individual choice, but there only for an owner who is willing to put in a fair amount of time and effort into them.
No doubt about it...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
yeah, the health problems are a big issue. i picked up a few books on the breed, gonna spend a while reading up on them. doubt i'll get the guy in that picture (which breaks my heart 'cause i went and visited him again today, even got his poop on my pant leg  :P ).

i looked into a similar breed called the "olde english bulldogge". apparently they're bred with less of a smashed face so they have fewer respiratory problems as well as healthier hips, which would save oodles in medical bills. still, can't help but love the normal english bulldog look.

what's crazy is after playing with the guy for a little while, i found ALL other breeds and animals less cute. suddenly the bulldog is the ONLY thing i find appealing. even got a name for him: crunch buttsteak. awesome? you bet.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:53:57 PM »
Hahaha sounds good.

Yeah there are a few variation breeds of bulldogs that are slightly more healthy. One of my favourite breeds of dog is the Aussie Bulldog, a breed that would be fairly hard to find outside of Australia. Basically a bulldog with a slightly less smashed up face and quite a bit taller than a British Bulldog, similar to a boxer. Ive only ever seen one yet they look awesome and are much better suited to a more active owner.

Either way any bulldog is a great dog, and i think the look and personality often is enough to persuade people to get one, regardless of the care they may need.

After looking at some pics, now i want one ;D
No doubt about it...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 12:14:11 AM »
i'm not sure how active an owner i'd be, but for a dog like that i'd definitely be willing to run around with him some more. it's just impossible to deny 'em. they're downright beautiful, not to mention the irresistable personality.

see i'm not the kinda person who could put the effort into a lab or something of that nature. i'm not gonna take him outside for two hours a day to run six miles and throw a frisbee around. not my thing. but a few jogs once a day i'm cool with. the upkeep is, honestly, nothing more than what i do for myself, so all's good on that front, far as i'm concerned.

i've found a breeder of the "bulldogge" type who's got 'em for $1200 with papers and CKC registration, now it's just a matter of logistics.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 06:31:18 AM »
i'm not sure how active an owner i'd be, but for a dog like that i'd definitely be willing to run around with him some more. it's just impossible to deny 'em. they're downright beautiful, not to mention the irresistable personality.

see i'm not the kinda person who could put the effort into a lab or something of that nature. i'm not gonna take him outside for two hours a day to run six miles and throw a frisbee around. not my thing. but a few jogs once a day i'm cool with. the upkeep is, honestly, nothing more than what i do for myself, so all's good on that front, far as i'm concerned.

i've found a breeder of the "bulldogge" type who's got 'em for $1200 with papers and CKC registration, now it's just a matter of logistics.

I prefer the look of spitz breeds myself. I don't like squished in faces.
I hate the State.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
I prefer the look of spitz breeds myself. I don't like squished in faces.

considering dogs like to bite you, I don't think you have a say!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »
  considering dogs like to bite you, I don't think you have a say!

::)
I hate the State.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:45:43 PM »

buy that one

you guys were meant for each other

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:45:52 AM »
i was pretty set to, until i found out the place gets dogs from somewhat "disreputable" breeders. no AKC papers on most, and at least two that i talked to ended up having to put the dogs down thanks to health issues. even if i did bond with the guy and he wasn't in bad shape, i'd be supporting that kinda BS instead of a more caring and responsible breeder.

looks like i gotta start from square one.  ::)

body88

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 05:13:09 PM »
been looking around for a while, now i think i've figured out the breed for me.

i was at a local dog spot recently. a good one, this guy works with breeders (no puppy mills or the like), and ran into this little guy and damned if i wasn't in love. not sure i'll go for him specifically, but i know i'm gonna end up with a bulldog.

only thing: $2500+? damn. that's gonna bite into the ol' budget.

Magoo, if you are interested in english bulldogs -( but you are worried about health problems), take a look at minature, classic - athletic, english bulldogs.

They get to about 20 - 50 pounds, and have a lot less helth problems then full size english bulldogs. They are more athletic with the same look.

The guy you have in the pic looks like a great fit, I was just giving you a few options.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »
Magoo, if you are interested in english bulldogs -( but you are worried about health problems), take a look at minature, classic - athletic, english bulldogs.

They get to about 20 - 50 pounds, and have a lot less helth problems then full size english bulldogs. They are more athletic with the same look.

The guy you have in the pic looks like a great fit, I was just giving you a few options.

see, i don't like the smaller ones. i want a fit bulldog who weighs around 70. a big bastard that can knock out your legs if he hits you running.

i found a breeder in my state that gives out a health guarantee with every puppy (meaning they're free of the congenital respiratory/hip disorders), so i'm looking in their direction. a little pricier, sure, but worth it. $2200-2600 for a puppy, if i scrape up the cash.

for the record, the guy in that pic was $1400, because he lacked AKC papers. an indication i should have been more careful. :P

E N A N T H A T O R

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »
I had a female English Bulldog, she had to be put to sleep at 13. I will get another one eventually. Great loyal dogs.

body88

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 06:05:18 AM »
see, i don't like the smaller ones. i want a fit bulldog who weighs around 70. a big bastard that can knock out your legs if he hits you running.

i found a breeder in my state that gives out a health guarantee with every puppy (meaning they're free of the congenital respiratory/hip disorders), so i'm looking in their direction. a little pricier, sure, but worth it. $2200-2600 for a puppy, if i scrape up the cash.

for the record, the guy in that pic was $1400, because he lacked AKC papers. an indication i should have been more careful. :P

How do you feel about johnson type american bulldogs? They have the same look as the english bulls - (under shot jaw), but they are not as stubby 80 - 125 lbs. Best of luck either way.

E N A N T H A T O R

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
How do you feel about johnson type american bulldogs? They have the same look as the english bulls - (under shot jaw), but they are not as stubby 80 - 125 lbs. Best of luck either way.

Great lookin dog!

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 10:32:45 AM »

that's a damn fine lookin' dog.

i looked into the breed and my only problem is that too many of them look like boxers or pit bulls. i'd have to really look around at breeders to find one with the right stocky appearance. thanks for the idea, though, it's a definite possibility.

body88

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 07:13:41 PM »
that's a damn fine lookin' dog.

i looked into the breed and my only problem is that too many of them look like boxers or pit bulls. i'd have to really look around at breeders to find one with the right stocky appearance. thanks for the idea, though, it's a definite possibility.

The AB's that look like large pits are "standard type" American bulldogs. They have a longer muzzle, and are a little smaller then Johnson type ab's. A lot of these new "big headed" pitbulls are crossed with ab's to give them the massive head and chest. A legit pit should be  between 30 - 70 lbs IMO.

That said, There are many types of American bulldogs. The three main types of ab's are, standard type - ( look like a massive pit, longer nose, super athletic and fast). Johnson type - (The dog shown above, massive bones, huge head, chest, and under shot jaw), Hybrid type - (  The type of ab I own, mix of standard and johnson type).

Look for "johnson type" American bulldogs. They should never look like a pitbull or a boxer.  Johnson type ab's should be very large and muscular, with a massive head, and a extremely undershot jaw. They are very athletic, and have minimal health problems - a true "wash and wear" breed. Great with kids, smart, very trainable, gentle, and will protect you till the death. Ab's are extremely courageous and pretty much fearless.The English bulldog is a derivate of the old English bulldog - which is the base for all American bulldogs and mollaser breeds.

If you need any help, pm me.. Here are a few more examples of true Johnson type American bulldogs, you will like them.

E N A N T H A T O R

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »
The second and third pics resemble a mix which includes pit? ???

body88

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »
The second and third pics resemble a mix which includes pit? ???

No, these dogs are all well over 100 lbs. Much more massive head, frame, undershot jaw, etc etc... Both pits and ab's started with the old English bulldog. However, if you see a pitbull that looks like any of these dogs, they where probably crossed with a ab somewhere down the line for added size. Ab's are considered mastiffs, while pits are considered terriers.

Although pits have square, wide heads, they should not have a pushed in face, or a undershot jaw. The pits jaw should not be undershot at all. Also,  pits do not have any loose skin on the face, and they are much smaller. These pics do not really do the Johnson - type ab justice. There is a reason why Johnsons are the mascott for Mack trucks. A big johnson type ab has a head the size basketball.

Check it out, here are some examples of a standerd type , johnson type and hybrid type ab compared to a real pit.

Pitbull

Standard type AB

Johnson Type AB

Hybrid type AB

American bulls are used to hunt wild boar, work on the farm and also protection work.