Author Topic: Study says teenagers made up just 10 percent of March for Our Lives crowd  (Read 12923 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
More confirmation that those kids are being manipulated.

Despite media narrative, study says teenagers made up just 10 percent of March for Our Lives crowd
Alex Pappas By Alex Pappas   | Fox News

A university professor studying large-scale, Trump-era protests in Washington says the media is giving the wrong impression about who made up the crowd during last weekend’s anti-gun March for Our Lives demonstration.

“My research tells a different story about who participated in the March for Our Lives — and it is more complicated and less well-packaged for prime time,” University of Maryland sociology professor Dana R. Fisher wrote in a Wednesday story for the Washington Post.

Fisher’s study indicates that -- while news coverage focused on the teenagers marching for gun control in the wake of last month’s shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida --- 90 percent of the crowd was actually adults. She said the average age of adults in the crowd was just under 49.

Planned Parenthood, Move On and the Women's March all playing a role in the March for our Lives; Washington Free Beacon reporter Stephen Gutowski examines who's really behind the gun control push.Video
The truth behind the 'student-led' March for our Lives

“Contrary to what’s been reported in many media accounts, the D.C. March for Our Lives crowd was not primarily made up of teenagers,” Fisher wrote. “Only about 10 percent of the participants were under 18.”

Fisher said her team sampled 256 people who were randomly selected.

Her research will become a book titled “American Resistance” and will be published after the midterm elections.

Fisher also expressed skepticism that all those who showed up to the march were there primarily because of their views on guns. Some, she said, came for entertainment.

Students are demanding action in response to the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida. Griff Jenkins reports from Washington D.C.
“The March for Our Lives had the allure of a free concert — in fact, the event’s website maintained a list of performers but never listed the speakers," she said. "But it is one thing to turn out to watch Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ariana Grande perform, and quite another to vote in the midterm election in November.”

The research follows an imaging company saying the turnout for the march was much less than claimed by its organizers.

Organizers of the demonstration claimed Sunday that some 850,000 people attended the pro-gun control event.

But Virginia-based Digital Design & Imaging Service Inc., which uses aerial photos to calculate crowd sizes, reported the event’s peak crowd size was at 202,796 people.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/28/despite-media-narrative-study-says-teenagers-made-up-just-10-percent-march-for-our-lives-crowd.html

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I haven't been following closely but this claim by the researcher doesn't surprise me. I would expect that there would be limited children with the means to travel to these marches, and that what the kids want are certainly in line with what many adults want, and those adults tend to have the means to attend rallies. I wasn't thinking the majority of the crowd was youngsters

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!

Despite media narrative, study says teenagers made up just 10 percent of March for Our Lives crowd

A university professor studying large-scale, Trump-era protests in Washington says the media is giving the wrong impression about who made up the crowd during last weekend’s anti-gun March for Our Lives demonstration.

“My research tells a different story about who participated in the March for Our Lives — and it is more complicated and less well-packaged for prime time,” University of Maryland sociology professor Dana R. Fisher wrote in a Wednesday story for the Washington Post.

Fisher’s study indicates that -- while news coverage focused on the teenagers marching for gun control in the wake of last month’s shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida --- 90 percent of the crowd was actually adults. She said the average age of adults in the crowd was just under 49.

Planned Parenthood, Move On and the Women's March all playing a role in the March for our Lives; Washington Free Beacon reporter Stephen Gutowski examines who's really behind the gun control push.Video

“Contrary to what’s been reported in many media accounts, the D.C. March for Our Lives crowd was not primarily made up of teenagers,” Fisher wrote. “Only about 10 percent of the participants were under 18.”

Her research will become a book titled “American Resistance” and will be published after the midterm elections.

Fisher also expressed skepticism that all those who showed up to the march were there primarily because of their views on guns. Some, she said, came for entertainment.

Students are demanding action in response to the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida. Griff Jenkins reports from Washington D.C.
“The March for Our Lives had the allure of a free concert — in fact, the event’s website maintained a list of performers but never listed the speakers," she said. "But it is one thing to turn out to watch Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ariana Grande perform, and quite another to vote in the midterm election in November.”

The research follows an imaging company saying the turnout for the march was much less than claimed by its organizers.

Organizers of the demonstration claimed Sunday that some 850,000 people attended the pro-gun control event.

But Virginia-based Digital Design & Imaging Service Inc., which uses aerial photos to calculate crowd sizes, reported the event’s peak crowd size was at 202,796 people.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/28/despite-media-narrative-study-says-teenagers-made-up-just-10-percent-march-for-our-lives-crowd.html

So it was more about the music and less about the speakers? Or they didn’t know who the speakers would be?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

LOL

I'd love to hear this retard logic

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
I saw a little shit on TV, probably about 16 years old, acting like he was in charge of something.  Like he'd been given command of a powerful force, and was now representing.  Total fantasyland.

Sorry, man.  Live a damn life, first.  Gain some wisdom.  Don't expect a person to believe a word you say at such a young age, speaking on something so important.  Something that's impossible for you to have gained a proper perspective toward.

It just shows how upside down everything's become, that it'd be so much as slightly possible anyone would take this stuff seriously.  Thanks, MSM!!

::)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Does anyone feel a sense of confidence in these kids, and what they're saying?  Based on what?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Does anyone feel a sense of confidence in these kids, and what they're saying?  Based on what?

remember back to when you were 16. I know I thought most issues were black and white. only as I aged, and traveled the world did I learn that there are shades of gray, things I once thought with 100% conviction were true or right, weren't so cut and dried now. But now I'm 53, and I hear adults saying stupid things on a regular basis. Most flat earthers are probably adults. So while I share with you, that young kids probably haven't experienced life enough to dictate what is right, just the mere fact that someone is an adult, doesn't mysteriously qualify their opinion as the right one either.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
remember back to when you were 16. I know I thought most issues were black and white. only as I aged, and traveled the world did I learn that there are shades of gray, things I once thought with 100% conviction were true or right, weren't so cut and dried now. But now I'm 53, and I hear adults saying stupid things on a regular basis. Most flat earthers are probably adults. So while I share with you, that young kids probably haven't experienced life enough to dictate what is right, just the mere fact that someone is an adult, doesn't mysteriously qualify their opinion as the right one either.

Oh, I know.  It's almost a sick comedy these days, with terminal stupidity in all direction and all stages of life.  MSM has done its job.  I can only say it makes it all the more unlikely that a kid, meaning someone who's never known anything but to be surrounded by such a reality, could possibly have the clarity of mind to so boldly step forward with "the right way" (if that's what these kids think they're doing - and it sure looks like it).  They're just allowing themselves to be used as cheap little pawns, is the fact, since they can't possibly have seen their way through the ideas they claim to hold.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
There's no possible way the students who witnessed their friends being massacred could possibly really care about gun violence.  The fact that a bunch of adults share their opinions is proof the kids don't really care or genuinely hold those opinions.   The fact that the changes there advocating for have been mentioned many times before (and have broad support in this country) is proof they don't really share these opinions.  If they really cared they would have thought up a bunch of different action items rather than ones that have been mentioned many times before and of course no adults would support the cause.   That's how you know they are all being manipulated.  It's all so "obvious".  

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
There's no possible way the students who witnessed their friends being massacred could possibly really care about gun violence.  The fact that a bunch of adults share their opinions is proof the kids don't really care or genuinely hold those opinions.   The fact that the changes there advocating for have been mentioned many times before (and have broad support in this country) is proof they don't really share these opinions.  If they really cared they would have thought up a bunch of different action items rather than ones that have been mentioned many times before.  That's how you know they are all being manipulated.  It's all so "obvious".   

If something's there: WHERE is the argument for it?  For all this noise, where in the world is the exact claim?

Problem is, you'll find it's missing.  That's because it never existed in the first place. 

Here's an idea for these kids: try to find your best argument BEFORE you go out there to tell others what to do.  If you can't convince yourself, then take your lesson and move on.  Don't waste your time, and more importantly don't waste ours.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
If something's there: WHERE is the argument for it?  For all this noise, where in the world is the exact claim?

Problem is, you'll find it's missing.  That's because it never existed in the first place. 

Here's an idea for these kids: try to find your best argument BEFORE you go out there to tell others what to do.  If you can't convince yourself, then take your lesson and move on.  Don't waste your time, and more importantly don't waste ours.

the argument for what?

Why they suddenly care about gun violence in schools?

Hmmm, I wonder what could have prompted them to take action

That's a mystery we'll probably never figure out

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
the argument for what?

Why they suddenly care about gun violence in schools?

Hmmm, I wonder what could have prompted them to take action

That's a mystery we'll probably never figure out

To do... ?  Make noise?  What do they hope to accomplish, and how do they explain that it'll pan out as they say?  (It'll first require making an actual claim, though.  Can't forget that small detail!)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
To do... ?  Make noise?  What do they hope to accomplish, and how do they explain that it'll pan out as they say?  (It'll first require making an actual claim, though.  Can't forget that small detail!)

spoken words sound like "noise" to you.

maybe that's why you can't figure out their "actual claim"

They put it in writing for you so if written words don't also show up as noise in your brain maybe this will shed some light (though for some reason I suspect not)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2018/mar/23/parkland-students-manifesto-americas-gun-laws

You make another great point.  What the fuck do they hope to accomplish with rallies, speeches, and activism

That's never accomplished anything in the history of human kind

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
There's no possible way the students who witnessed their friends being massacred could possibly really care about gun violence.  The fact that a bunch of adults share their opinions is proof the kids don't really care or genuinely hold those opinions.   The fact that the changes there advocating for have been mentioned many times before (and have broad support in this country) is proof they don't really share these opinions.  If they really cared they would have thought up a bunch of different action items rather than ones that have been mentioned many times before and of course no adults would support the cause.   That's how you know they are all being manipulated.  It's all so "obvious".  
Typical nonsense post from you.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

typical inability from you to refute or debate anything I've said

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
typical inability from you to refute or debate anything I've said

You made the statement, you prove it.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
words sound like "noise" to you.

maybe that's why you can't figure out their "actual claim"

They put it in writing for you so if words don't also show up as noise in your brain maybe this will shed some light (though for some reason I suspect not)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2018/mar/23/parkland-students-manifesto-americas-gun-laws

You make another great point.  What the fuck do they hope to accomplish with rallies, speeches, and activism

That's never accomplished anything in the history of human kind

Oh, I dunno.  Maybe the same thing BLM hoped to "accomplish" by blocking roads and pissing-off other common individuals who may be trying to get somewhere important and who hold no direct relationship to bad cops?  All the while without ever taking any measured action against an actual bad cop?

Something like that, maybe?

But I'll look at your MSM link, today, since I trust you've actually read it and that you believe it explains the mystery.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
And, yes, noise.  Meaningless, mindless, NOISE.  The telltale of a false movement in the age of electronic information and "social media" (oh brother).

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
a

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

It's far from nonsense. It draws attention to the false argument Las Vegas was trying to make

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
It's far from nonsense. It draws attention to the false argument Las Vegas was trying to make

Then I'd say "drawing attention" is about the best that could be hoped for, and the true explanation for what the kids are doing.

OK, you've got our attention.  What are you trying to say?

That's all to be found, so far.  That's it.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
whatcha doing rabbi  ???
a

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
See, here's the problem.  Straw, for example, frequently refers to "an opinion" or "these opinions" to say that the kids have applied thought to the matter and have prepared themselves to tell the world about a better way they've found.

They've done everything but that, though.  They forgot the most important part.

But I'll (reluctantly) look at the MSM information Straw Man posted.  Maybe some brilliance exists after all, and it'll turn out we've somehow produced a Super Generation who can solve our problems and make everyone non-violent and without need for protection.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Oh, I dunno.  Maybe the same thing BLM hoped to "accomplish" by blocking roads and pissing-off other common individuals who may be trying to get somewhere important and who hold no direct relationship to bad cops?  All the while without ever taking any measured action against an actual bad cop?

Something like that, maybe?

But I'll look at your MSM link, today, since I trust you've actually read it and that you believe it explains the mystery.

Did these kids block roads or do anything like that

All they did was make some speeches and talk about their murdered friends

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
You made the statement, you prove it.

prove your inability to refute or even debate anything I've said?

ok

here you go