Author Topic: Is Rock Dead? Definitive Rock Albums!  (Read 13981 times)

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
Re: Is rock music dead?
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »

Please don`t tell me you like that shit
I will fucking hate you forever.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »
"Freedom of choice is what you've got, freedom from choice is what you want."

Devo, you gotta give it to 'em.

tom joad

• Getbig V
Re: Definitive Rock Albums
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
Born To Run

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
this
DAWG

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 06:58:49 PM »
led zeppelin - iv
pearl jam - ten
metallica - black album
Deep Tissue Massage

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »

Dude Nirvana sucks.

It's just 3 chord garage band shit.

The most overrated rock band in history for sure.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »

Or if you really wanted to show the aliens what rock n roll is about, this cover would be better:

swoody

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 08:03:36 PM »
generic shit is all I hear on the radio.  No individuality or talent whatsoever.  Just a bunch of fags who can't sing and use the voice box instead.  Its not about talent anymore... just how much money you have and who you know.

swoody

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
Tool- Aenima

Metallica- Black Album

Black Sabbath- Paranoid

GWAR

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »
What a bullshit myth. Theres way the fuck more music being made now than there ever was. It`s just that there`s no labels shoving it down your throat. If you look around there is plenty of music out there.

The battle has been won, only idiot buy cd`s. Music is basically free at this point. The only problem now is over saturation, once the labels completely die, it`ll be a much cleaner industry.
  ::) the opinion of a homosexual is meaningless. compare music now to music from the 60,70,80 and 90 , none of the new music will last , none of it will be remember , drake ? katy perry ? hanna montana ? justin beiber ? HAHAHAHAHA gimmie a fuckin break no one will remember any of this shit in ten years

swoody

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
  ::) the opinion of a homosexual is meaningless. compare music now to music from the 60,70,80 and 90 , none of the new music will last , none of it will be remember , drake ? katy perry ? hanna montana ? justin beiber ? HAHAHAHAHA gimmie a fuckin break no one will remember any of this shit in ten years

Couldn't agree more.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »

That's the fucking truth.

There is a lot of good music though on the amatuer level. The problem is that you gotta hunt and search for it and each band just has a small following.

There are a lot of talented bands out there putting out good shit. But they are working part time at Taco Bell, broke, and playing shows for 70 people at a bar. They aren't getting famous.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
Geez, too many to mention...

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
  • Team anyone except heath
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
This isn't a music forum

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
They already made a compilation for the aliens

Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode was the rock music pick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contents_of_the_Voyager_Golden_Record

Whatever is chosen, i doubt that it should be from the 80s or 90s or 00s

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: Is Rock Dead? Definitive Rock Albums!
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 11:13:08 PM »
Back in the 90's rock music was a fucking RELIGION. It was just powerful and there was a strong cult of people following it. The music was inspirational and epic. The lifestyle was drugs, pussy and loud music to empower yourself and feel like a God.

Nowadays rock music just seems like it sucks dick. It's like a wild bull that got castrated and beaten into submission, now it is hiding in the corner, afraid.

I don't know what happened. Maybe the CIA infiltrated the rock music scene and ruined it from the inside out? Maybe people these days just have no balls and can't make good songs? Maybe society has drifted into a more passive and narcisistic state, and people are too self-centered to keep the movement alive?

Whatever it is, rock music fucking sucks right now.

There is some cool shit in the Metal world right now. Some cool death metal and speed metal. But besides that it's shit.

I'm with you here... except that rock music in the 90's wasn't about pussy and getting fucked up. It was actually more somber and introspective. ...and it was in direct response to the bullshit 80's music that WAS all about partying and fucking.

Nirvana came along and wiped that bullshit off the map with one fucking song.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
compare music now to music from the 60,70,80 and 90 , none of the new music will last , none of it will be remember , drake ? katy perry ? hanna montana ? justin beiber ? HAHAHAHAHA gimmie a fuckin break no one will remember any of this shit in ten years

Even during the eras you listed there was always bubble gum pop music whose demographic is 12 year old girls. Rock music caters to a completely different demographic.

I agree that selling music no longer profitable, but that's probably a good thing because most of the money was made by the labels, anyway, and they often dictated to the artists. Today, an artist can do exactly what he wants and not give a rat's ass what some label head and his obsolete production/distribution model thinks.

If a band wants to make it, today, they have to do it the old-fashioned way: one fan at a time, and hope you get to the point where you play big rooms.

Definitive Rock Albums?

Lots of good ones already mentioned. Here are a few that belong on Mount Olympus:

Deep Purple- Machine Head - aka The one with "Smoke on the Water."

Free - Fire and Water - aka The one with "All Right Now."

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak - aka The one with "The Boys are Back in Town."

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 12:26:30 AM »
All good choices I'm proud. Late 90's is where we saw the last of decent rock, now there are a hand full of diamonds in amongst the shit

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »

I'm with you here... except that rock music in the 90's wasn't about pussy and getting fucked up. It was actually more somber and introspective. ...and it was in direct response to the bullshit 80's music that WAS all about partying and fucking.

Nirvana came along and wiped that bullshit off the map with one fucking song.

That somber grunge thing only lasted a few years though, from about 92-95. After that it went more into the direction of Korn, Rob Zombie, Slipknot, Sevendust, Snot, System of A Down. Also a lot of punk stuff. It got more edgy for a few years.

Then around 2000 it just totally went to shit. No more edge. Just fashionable and hip crap.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 01:12:52 AM »
"Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys "Abbey Road" by The Beatles "Darkside of the Moon" by Pink Floyd. Those 3 albums revolutionized rock music, but sadly by 1984 rock was pretty much dead. I did like grunge though.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »
"Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys "Abbey Road" by The Beatles "Darkside of the Moon" by Pink Floyd. Those 3 albums revolutionized rock music, but sadly by 1984 rock was pretty much dead. I did like grunge though.

In 1984 that Classic Rock sound died out. But Heavy Metal came in and it came in hard.

I'm not talking about Quiet Riot, Poison and hair metal like that. I'm talking Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Motorhead. All that was great.

Beach Boys??? I don't know man. For it's time I guess it was alright but that shit sounds like motown or barber shop music with the 4 guys singing. That shit ain't rockin.

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 01:40:06 AM »

There was plenty of somber and introspective music in the 80s too, but it didnt hit the mainstream until bands like nirvana

dogbowl

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:48 AM »

How did Abbey Road revolutionize music?  How was it more revolutionary than their previous albums?

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 01:49:22 AM »
Too much multiculturalism and the lobby gay, destroyed rock...
S