Author Topic: Rod Parsley: nutjob Christian preacher in Ohio  (Read 8923 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Rod Parsley: nutjob Christian preacher in Ohio
« on: September 11, 2007, 03:58:20 PM »
Two visions for Ohio (5 minute Youtube video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFeoFGow1oU

Typical of the preachers of hate in this country... the Columbus Monthly magazine reports:

Parsley, his wife, Joni, and their two young children live in a five-bedroom house they have built next to his parents’ house on a 21-acre compound in northwest Fairfield County. The compound has an electronic gate at the road to discourage uninvited visitors, and stables and a corral have been built in one corner. Rod Parsley’s home is worth $857,090, say records at the Fairfield County recorder’s office. His parents’ home, also new, is valued at $831,480. Each was built with a $200,000 mortgage taken out in 1990. ... Parsley also owns a $500,000 jet, a seven-passenger Hawker Siddeley 125.

These nutjobs sicken, and I don't know if I feel sorry or contempt towards the fools who give their money to him and his kind.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
Re: Rod Parsley: nutjob Christian preacher in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
... and people wander why the Republicans lost Ohio so bad...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 06:49:21 PM »
What point are you trying to make columbus?  Whatever it is, you're protesting too much. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:51:18 PM »
Am I?

How so? Do you want some hypocritical Bible-thumping nutjob running your life?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:54:27 PM »
Yes. 

By trying to portray all preachers as nuts.  It's really silly.  "Bible-thumping nutjobs" don't run my life. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »
I didn't ask if they did. I asked if you'd want them to :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 07:01:28 PM »
Distinction without a difference.  No I don't want them to.  No they don't.  Essentially same difference. 

Still, you're being an extremist, which is ironic because you're apparently trying to make a point about extremism. 

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 07:02:47 PM »
I'm being an extremist because I don't want Rod Parsley and his followers imposing their opinions on the rest of us as Ohio law .... sure....

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »
I'm as anti-religious as you are, but the money these preachers make is an example of the free market at work.  Obviously, a number of deluded people feel there is value in what he has to say, and pay him accordingly.  If he ceases delivering what they perceive as value, they'll cease paying him.

Makes me think I should start a church and sell "Jebus" to the brain-dead godbots.  I could use a private plane. ;D
Ron: "I am lazy."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »
I'm being an extremist because I don't want Rod Parsley and his followers imposing their opinions on the rest of us as Ohio law .... sure....

No, you're being an extremist "by trying to portray all preachers as nuts."  Your anti-religious crusade is extremist.

And how exactly is "Rod Parsley and his followers imposing their opinions on the rest of [you] as Ohio law"?  If this is about voting then go to the polls.  What's the big deal?  You don't gain or lose the right to participate in the political process because you are Christian.       

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 10:48:16 PM »
I said in my first post that Parsley is "typical of the preachers of hate in this country." You say I try to portray all preachers as nuts.

I said no such thing, unless you think all preachers are preachers of hate! Do you think that?

As for your next claim, Christian or not, you don't have the right to impose your opinions on my testicles or anyone's private parts. Parsley appeals to the basest of instincts by promoting hatred of anyone who is different, e.g. Muslims, gays, and anyone who doesn't want to be subjected to Christianist fascism.

Of course, if you had watched the video to which I provided the link, you'd know all that.

Religion may talk about life in the next world, but it is all about grabbing power in this one. It cannot rest until it imposes its pettiest rules on the rest of us who want to be free from it. Talk about how "Religion Poisons Everything."

Not one time did these people think of living out their own Christianist values and minding their own business. Instead they want to legislate their Christianist values into law and force them on everyone else!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
In rural Ohio, guys like Parsley still has a lot of pull. That's the sick truth.

Doesn't matter how enlightened the big cities gets, once you get far out in the countryside, it's "Deliverance" all over again. :-X
As empty as paradise

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 05:32:56 AM »
Hedge, you are sadly correct. As much as I love this state, I just can't stand that aspect of it. The man is such a charlatan, such an obvious fake...

Fortunately though, so many of the young people from rural Ohio will come to that great secular institution, Ohio State, where their prejudices are challenged...

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
Good video.  It will pump up those on either sides of the issues.  I was hoping to go to a similar "values voters" summit in Washington.  I'm encouraged when I watch that video for a couple of reasons.  

1.  It finally seems that those who feel this country has fallen vastly astray from its original character have awakened and are ready to fight

and

F. If this is just a snapshot of the passion that we'll see from voters from all spectrums, we'll actually see more people get out and vote.  Since I was 18 years old and able to vote, I've seen a major decline at the polls.  It seems people care now.  

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:45 AM »
Colossus, you seem like the evangelical type, no offense :)

Are you familiar with the "work" of this pastor?

His religious preachings are right on the intersection of silly and blasphemous, his requests for money are shameless, and his alliances within the evangelical movement involve the likes of Benny Hinn...

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 05:45:16 AM »
Colossus, you seem like the evangelical type, no offense :)

Are you familiar with the "work" of this pastor?

His religious preachings are right on the intersection of silly and blasphemous, his requests for money are shameless, and his alliances within the evangelical movement involve the likes of Benny Hinn...
Put me in any category you like, bro.  To be truthful, C-dude, I'm only interested in sharing the Gospel man and staying as true to its teaching as possible.  Yet I realize all fall short of the perfection of it.

I'm definitely not a big fan of Parsley.  Kind of put him in the category of T.D. Jakes, Joel Olsteen, etc.  I want to believe that these pastors started out with their hearts in the right places, but somewhere along the way they have gotten caught up in the influence of the money versus the influence of using their gift to bring others to a personal relationship with Christ.

I'm impressed with the likes of Sen. Walter Jones, Ken Blackwell, and Sam Brownback.  They are politicians who seem to get it. 

Surely you'll now tell me how "ignorant" I am. 

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 05:48:06 AM »
If you don't like what the guy says..don't listen or support him.  people have the right to listen to, accept or reject his teachings...if you don't like the nutjob say so, but don't belittle people for listening. 
footloose and fancy free

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 05:52:41 AM »
If you don't like what the guy says..don't listen or support him.  people have the right to listen to, accept or reject his teachings...if you don't like the nutjob say so, but don't belittle people for listening. 

Sure.

The problem is the anti-intellectual environment that is a reality in rural Ohio.

A guy like Parsley preys on this, and since there are little options, it's easy to become a zealot.

In a place with intellectual debate, diversity and debates, a guy like Parsley don't stand a chance.

But areas like this... it's where he can spread his venom.
As empty as paradise

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 05:55:30 AM »
Sure.

The problem is the anti-intellectual environment that is a reality in rural Ohio.

A guy like Parsley preys on this, and since there are little options, it's easy to become a zealot.

In a place with intellectual debate, diversity and debates, a guy like Parsley don't stand a chance.

So, Parsley is the only one who preys on the belittled knowledge of others?   ???

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 06:04:42 AM »
Sure.

you call it venom, some called it salvation or whatever he preaches...i have no idea because i don't know the guy from adam..but when we start trying to dictate what people listen to, read, and watch then we start meddling in lives that shouldn't be meddled with..whether it's venom or not, i don't know, but i'd much rather be given free choice to choose to listen or not to listen than have some government hack tell me what i can or cannot do...
footloose and fancy free

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 06:22:35 AM »
How is "salvation" involved in enacting state laws that discriminate against gays, for instance?

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 06:38:13 AM »
it isn't,  but some believe that homosexuality is a sin...so they believe that what they are doing they are saving themselves and the rest of us..delusional as it sounds to you,,it's their right to believe --you have a problem with it, fine, but to resort to name calling makes you sound immature and your argument that all religious preachers are ''nuts'' baseless.
footloose and fancy free

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 06:42:32 AM »
I happen to agree with you though, C-dude...I believe these guys are leeches and that these beliefs systems cause more harm than good...but if the catholic church (which I happened to be retired from) can still run around preaching abstinence, pro-life, and still hide the molestation of children from the public then i guess guys like Parsley can preach his form of ''religion''...
footloose and fancy free

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 07:00:44 AM »
As a recovering ex-Catholic myself, I sympathize with your views.

BUT if people have a problem with homosexuality, then they should abstain from homosexual sex. I abstain from homosexual sex every day. It's not that hard! Neither they nor I have the right to intrude into other people's bedrooms. I would ridicule gays if they wanted to pass laws forcing the rest of us (dudes) to svck c0ck, and I am ridiculing the Parsleys for wanting to force their bedroom rules on everyone else. (Or should I say, public bathroom rules ;) )

I did NOT argue that all religious preachers are nuts, so you may now retract that accusation :)

I am all FOR Parsley preaching his form of religion. I am all against him and his like riding the swagger of power over blind followers to get contributions and money and legislate morality for the rest of us.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
The pastoral ranks are filled with nut jobs of course not all but a far larger percentage then it should be considering the "power of the holy spirit"