Author Topic: Dumbbells vs barbell bench press  (Read 4038 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
Dumbbells vs barbell bench press
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
With bench presses, I use the 110 dumbbells x 6 and with the barbell I do 225 x 6. Does this add up, or are my dumbbell presses significantly better than my barbell?

Honestly I feel proud of using the 110s, but am kind of ashamed of not being able to rep out 225 on the barbell.

How do your dumbbell/barbell bench presses compare?

Yev33

• Getbig III
Re: Dumbbells vs barbell bench press
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
I never do the db press first in the workout, always after some kind of BB press. Last training cycle I was using the 115's for 6-8 reps. My best BB bench so far is 315 for a single, last cycle used 275 for 4-6 and got a triple with 290 ( @ bodyweight 195-200). I would say that there should be a more of a difference between your db bench and bb bench. You bringing the db's all the way down when you do them? I often see people not bringing the db's all the way down when they do the db presses. They always have a training partner help them get out of the hole on the first rep because they can't do it on their own. Actually thats one of the things I like about training alone, if I can't get the db's up on my own I shouldn't be using  them.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »
I never do the db press first in the workout, always after some kind of BB press. Last training cycle I was using the 115's for 6-8 reps. My best BB bench so far is 315 for a single, last cycle used 275 for 4-6 and got a triple with 290 ( @ bodyweight 195-200). I would say that there should be a more of a difference between your db bench and bb bench. You bringing the db's all the way down when you do them? I often see people not bringing the db's all the way down when they do the db presses. They always have a training partner help them get out of the hole on the first rep because they can't do it on their own. Actually thats one of the things I like about training alone, if I can't get the db's up on my own I shouldn't be using  them.

I agree. Whether I have a training partner or not, I never try to use weight I can't get up on my own. That being said, I think my form is good. I make sure to go down to a decent depth, but never passing a point where it becomes painful or uncomfortable.

I really feel like there is something that my body just doesn't like about barbell bench press lol.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »
Dumbbells are very under rated in the bench press. You really have the freedom to move your hands inwards and if you have shoulder issues then it is better.It's only a bit awkward in incline presses if you are alone.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:13:09 AM »

I agree. Whether I have a training partner or not, I never try to use weight I can't get up on my own. That being said, I think my form is good. I make sure to go down to a decent depth, but never passing a point where it becomes painful or uncomfortable.
I really feel like there is something that my body just doesn't like about barbell bench press lol.
May have something to do with how wide your grip  is on the BB, as Donny said db's are much more natural to find your perfect power groove.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »
With bench presses, I use the 110 dumbbells x 6 and with the barbell I do 225 x 6. Does this add up, or are my dumbbell presses significantly better than my barbell?

Honestly I feel proud of using the 110s, but am kind of ashamed of not being able to rep out 225 on the barbell.

110 by 6 dbs are more impressive def.
F

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
Not talking in terms of poundage but Dumbells give you an extra ROM than barbell.This topic is very much debatable.

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
Why the hell are my dumbbells so much better than my barbell?

chess315

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »
many people use the dumbells as a form of partial bench press allowing the plates to touch there chest and obviously that is an easy movment the problem for many is a lot of gyms dont have heavy enough dumbells and it is very taking getting dumbells in place if your strong. A barbell builds more mass and allows more weight. dumbells tend to more directly work the chest if you use dumbells correctly the should strengthen your barbell bench out of the bottom as you should lower the dumbells lower then you can a barbell

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:03:05 AM »
What about flat bench press on the smith?

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »
What about flat bench press on the smith?

Flat bench on the smith i can get 225 for a 10 or so reps. A little better than regular barbell bench but still not as impressive as moving 110s for 6. I really dontget why barbell gives me such a hard time!

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 06:31:26 AM »

I find these numbers hard to believe...110s is terrific, you should be doing about 300 on the BB for the same number of reps...

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »
I dont consider myself strong for bb bench. 225 for 8.  :) I try to cover my "weakness" with good form.

dumbells I go up to 50 kg's for 4-5..depends on the day.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 07:21:54 AM »
I read somewhere that the translation of BB to DB is about 70%.

So when you can do 220 lbs BB for 8 reps, you should be able to do 8 reps with 77 lbs DBs...

pwrnxs

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
Same for me.  I can knock out a few sets of 10-12 with 100s but never been strong with the barbell.  I really think it has a lot to do with practice and what your body is used to.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
Fuck benches......most people aren`t ever gonna` bench more than 315 trust me.................if they even get that high.

Question: How much ya` bench?
Answer: Not much (average hard trainer)

Question: How much ya` bench?
Answer: 405 for 5,probably about 440 or so for a 1 rep  max (genetically elite trainer who doesn`t train nearly as hard as the average trainer cited above)

Just work for pec growth with heavy reps................leav e the "how much ya` bench" shit for the beginners,and leave the ego at home.