Author Topic: Virginia Officials Say The Boring Company Tunnels Are All Show  (Read 463 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Virginia Officials Say The Boring Company Tunnels Are All Show, So No-Go
BY Brad Anderson

While Elon Musk’s The Boring Company has been awarded contracts for a couple of tunneling projects across the United States, Virginia doesn’t appear to have much faith in the entrepreneur’s radical transportation solution.

Earlier this year, Virginia transit officials flew to California to take a look at the test tunnel The Boring Company built near Tesla’s headquarters in Hawthorne. They walked away unimpressed, Virginia

“It’s a car in a very small tunnel,” Virginia’s chief of rail transportation Michael McLaughlin told the Commonwealth Transportation Board’s public transit subcommittee. “If one day we decide it’s feasible, we’ll obviously come back to you.”

The criticism of what The Boring Company didn’t stop there; in fact, Commonwealth Transportation Board member Scott Kasprowicz suggesting that Musk’s latest venture hasn’t accomplished anything important just yet.

“I think there’s a lot of show going on here. I don’t mean to suggest that they don’t have a serious plan in mind, but I don’t consider the steps they’ve taken to date to be substantive,” Kasprowicz said.

“They’ve purchased a used boring machine. They’ve put a bore in the neighborhood where they developed the SpaceX product, and they’ve taken a Model 3 and put guidewheels on it and they’re running it through the tunnel at 60 miles per hour.”

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/virginia-officials-say-the-boring-company-tunnels-are-all-show-so-no-go/

This is a low cost simple solution to public transportation.  Why spend tens of billions of dollars on light rail systems when technology now allows us to use autonomous electric vehicles in a tunnel for a fraction of the cost.  It may not look impressive, but it is the future.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Virginia Officials Say The Boring Company Tunnels Are All Show
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »
Seems like a basic idea that would need more development.

Just need a lane going the other way and a way to get on and off.

All the same I believe Musk is flying by the seat of his pants on this stuff.