Author Topic: TEAM MD GETS 1st & 2nd AND THE COVER!  (Read 26819 times)

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
Re: TEAM MD GETS 1st & 2nd AND THE COVER!
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 08:22:06 PM »
...more topical and educational than other mags?  About what, exactly?  Do you really think you're doing a service writting about drugs and science reviews for products that people don't use? 

The ONLY thing worth reading is the training articles of the pro's because they're still somewhat close to the truth.  But the nutrition articles?  Non existent.  You have all these harsh ghost written articles by 'the pros'....at least FLEX makes it so obvious that you know it's bullshit.

As a matter of fact I can provide an article from "Dexter Jackson" that is a direct copy if not in exact words but CONTENT that was LIFTED FROM a Chris Aceto nutrtional column from FLEX three months earlier!

What, you couldn't find anthing else to write about so you go to FLEX of all sources to copy?  CLASSIC move. 

Tack on tons of boring pages with Romano going on and on ad naseum about the Balco scandal (three months out of date, get it here on getbig for free!) and Gregg GOYA BEANS Valentino and you have a BORING mag, overpriced at that.

Tack on some reprinted and rehashed articles for the first half of the mag yet remove the funny cartoons....and take away the chicks that you used to feature and what do you get?.....MD.

SNORE....ps, I do put my money where my mouth is...and maybe if you guys put out a better product I'd still be buying it instead of flipping through it on the stand and putting it BACK.  MD has NEVER printed an actual article on contest prep, diet or supplement regimes in the last 3 years. 

GOYA BEANS and SHITTING YOUR PANTS are what sells MD.  Be proud!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2006, 12:13:22 AM »
MD/Steve is smart. Even they realize Lee has no chest and cover it up with Dave's head. lol
   :o....Oh no....not  the chest thing again...lol

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2006, 12:15:02 AM »
TEAM MID GETS 1st & 2nd AND THE COVER!

I get it....lmfao

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 01:03:36 AM »
OMG that picture is soooo photoshoped it aint funny!

If I was one of them I would take it as an insult that what is considered their both best performance is still not good enough and need to be photoshoped... :'(

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 12:46:49 PM »
I think it is an excellent BODYBUILDING cover. My take on MD is that for most of the past year or so it is the best mag overall on avg each month. The covers are real bodybuilders and I like that.
Ok here is my 2 cents on MD overall as 47 yr old fart and physics teacher.
Pro/ thumbs up aspects
1. Articles by John Ramano. Seriously, I enjoy his style and topics.He is one of the people in the sport I would like to meet and never had the chance.
2. MD covers the sports "as is".
3. Actual scientific articles on nutrition and training excerpted from various journals.
4. Great pics of many top pros.
5. A variety of pros columns with intersting topics in them.
6. Does mostly pro and some NPC contest coverage. The contests are the competetive end of the sport and MD seems to understand that.
7. While I was bummed out that MD had to scrap the "All Natural MD" format in the mid 90's. I don't blame them. The natural end of bodybuilding, never really took off and is just "there" in limbo withot much hype or excitement. I actually got to ask the man himself , Steve Bleckman, about that former natural MD format at the recent NPC nationals. He said what I already figured, that the natural thing just never took off despite their efforts. They cover the sport as is.Steve has been around in this game, ya gotta respect his judgement and experience.
8. Huge mag that is thick with actual bodybuilding related content.
9. Lee Priests column and features. the guys has gained fans and respect for his no holds barred style.
Like it or not Lee just puts it out there and does not mince words. I like that.

10. No lame swimsuit or lingerie bimbo feaures. If I want to look at jack off pics, I can do that outside the bodybuilding mags. I read bodybuilding mags for bodybuilding and enjoy other sites for the fun pics hehe.
Con/ thumbs down  :(
1. "The ramblin' freak ",I have nothing against Greg V, but cringe at the idea that this kind of thinking and physique distortion is part of the current bodybuilding landscape. I sometimes skim his column, and even chuckle a bit at times. I have mixed feelings on just how serious Gregg V takes himself or his image.
Overall, he is not hurting anyone and seems like a funny dude, etc. If he has fans that read his column I guess it serves a purpose. However, since the guy never really won any major show and has such a distorted body, I don't see the need for his column in MD.
2. The endless pages of ads. Not a big deal and hey they gotta pay the rent. Some f the more way out supplements ads are good for a laugh. As a person that has read lots of scientific journals over the years, the "scientific theories and facts" in some of these supplement ads are more like wacky science FICTION.
3. In my opinion MD needs more pics of guys training in the gym, doing actual workouts. I think a lot of folks would like to see this kind of  thing more.
4. MD can give in to a bit of the thug side of the sport at times. I am glad they are so damn honest and candid about the drug issue in bodybuilding. But it seems to me they tend to glorify that "lifestyle" a tad too much at times. C'mon MD, with Titus, Martinez and Palumbo, you have 3 regulars that spent time in the slammer. While I don't mind them being a given a chance to write for the mag, I do mind it when Palumbo or others give so many shout outs to the bros in the joint.I wonder what Titus will do now?
Instead of the MD Titus talks he could start doing " Titus Squeals" , and feature tales of prison rape and sodomy :o
Ok so overall if you are a musclehead like moi, MD is a decent mag. I will subscribe again this month.
FLEX has some great contest coverage , but I cringe when they attempt to "sanitize" the image of current bodybuilding.

5. Sriously RE-consider your stance on NOt covering female bodybuilding. At least cover the contests and include one female bodybuilding training article. New Pro and NPC national womans champ Mimi Jabalee would be a good choice.
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 02:16:19 PM »
Great Post Howie
BKS - Guardian of Truth

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »
MD has a lot of great reading.

I think they could try look for a MD angle on Iron Age bodybuilders too, a throwback section, department with articles, new and old, with them fellas who kicked ass in the old days.

It could be really good, if the layout is kept in line (something which Musclemag and Ironman tends to fail at).

Quark or Indesign? I'm guessing Indesign, many of the things done in the mag are hard to do with Quark.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2006, 02:59:40 PM »
MD rocks! A lot of ads means they make money! And pay the BBers for pics, unlike FLEX, Muscle and Fitness etc.           'Nuff said!

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2006, 03:06:43 PM »
"SNORE....ps, I do put my money where my mouth is...and maybe if you guys put out a better product I'd still be buying it instead of flipping through it on the stand and putting it BACK.  MD has NEVER printed an actual article on contest prep, diet or supplement regimes in the last 3 years. "

So far all I see is your mouth where your mouth is.  You make a claim like that you better have the goods. 

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 04:42:11 PM »
"SNORE....ps, I do put my money where my mouth is...and maybe if you guys put out a better product I'd still be buying it instead of flipping through it on the stand and putting it BACK.  MD has NEVER printed an actual article on contest prep, diet or supplement regimes in the last 3 years. "
So far all I see is your mouth where your mouth is.  You make a claim like that you better have the goods. 

...what I mean to say is that you won't find an actual "how to" article in MD for the last 3 years.  You might find some partial info here and there, but not ONE article with all that info there.  In effect it's a bb'ing mag thats aimed at the 'scene', not the average joe in the gym.  FLEX does this though, even if the workouts are a little on the high volume side.

And if MD is soooooo open about covering the drug side of bb'ing, then why doesn't it talk more about that?  If they're gonna be hardcore as they say, print the shit!  Don't give me that "protect the kids" bullshit when you got Gregg the Idiott talking about shitting his pants, jerking off and Goya Beans.  It don't make sense. 

As "hardcore" as MD fakes it is, it follows the mainstream harder than any other mag...got rid of the chicks not because of the 'keeping it real' stance, but to increase where you can buy the mag (grocery stores, more mainstream outlets)....plus, it costs dollars to pay for the chicks and they didn't wanna pay.

MD could be the BEST mag out there but they just got boring.  How many pages upon pages of Romano ramble can one take?

And they quickly canned the awesome Flex Wheeler behind the stories articles (Dillett's too) because they were too REAL.  You wanna get the kids not to do roids?  PRINT THOSE STORIES, not turn a blind eye like FLEX mag!  Any street kid is gonna understand those real darkside stories and it will do much more to prevent steroid abuse, in my opinion.

To end up, you can use FLEX for nutrition info and even some training info if you're a trainer....MD lacks in that area.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 05:04:48 PM »
...what I mean to say is that you won't find an actual "how to" article in MD for the last 3 years.  You might find some partial info here and there, but not ONE article with all that info there.  In effect it's a bb'ing mag thats aimed at the 'scene', not the average joe in the gym.  FLEX does this though, even if the workouts are a little on the high volume side.
And if MD is soooooo open about covering the drug side of bb'ing, then why doesn't it talk more about that?  If they're gonna be hardcore as they say, print the shit!  Don't give me that "protect the kids" bullshit when you got Gregg the Idiott talking about shitting his pants, jerking off and Goya Beans.  It don't make sense. 
As "hardcore" as MD fakes it is, it follows the mainstream harder than any other mag...got rid of the chicks not because of the 'keeping it real' stance, but to increase where you can buy the mag (grocery stores, more mainstream outlets)....plus, it costs dollars to pay for the chicks and they didn't wanna pay.
MD could be the BEST mag out there but they just got boring.  How many pages upon pages of Romano ramble can one take?
And they quickly canned the awesome Flex Wheeler behind the stories articles (Dillett's too) because they were too REAL.  You wanna get the kids not to do roids?  PRINT THOSE STORIES, not turn a blind eye like FLEX mag!  Any street kid is gonna understand those real darkside stories and it will do much more to prevent steroid abuse, in my opinion.
To end up, you can use FLEX for nutrition info and even some training info if you're a trainer....MD lacks in that area.

A-MEN brother!
HAHA, RON.....

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »
can you imagine how horrible Lee Priest feels when he goes anywhere in regular society like the grocery store, gas station, restaurants, etc. and sees all these normal average height 5'11" plus guys it must drive him so fucking crazy, hahaha, he probably goes to the gym in a rage to get even wider and fatter but he doesn't realize that this just magnifies his shortness even more.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2006, 08:30:05 AM »
can you imagine how horrible Lee Priest feels when he goes anywhere in regular society like the grocery store, gas station, restaurants, etc. and sees all these normal average height 5'11" plus guys it must drive him so fucking crazy, hahaha, he probably goes to the gym in a rage to get even wider and fatter but he doesn't realize that this just magnifies his shortness even more.

I have a feeling Lee is a dick to people all day long.   gets away with it because he's big. 

And, when he's done competing (lee has 13 more months til he calls it quits, just as I predicted), Lee is gonna be one of those guys that stays on heavy gear for life anc checks out at 43 because he never wanted to live as a normal joe.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2006, 08:30:47 AM »
I bet Lee Priest would love a place called Madurodam in The Netherlands, everything is small, buildings, bridges, planes, grocery stores, people etcetera. (The Japs will take pictures of Lee thinking he belongs there).

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2006, 08:33:25 AM »
I have a feeling Lee is a dick to people all day long.   gets away with it because he's big. 
And, when he's done competing (lee has 13 more months til he calls it quits, just as I predicted), Lee is gonna be one of those guys that stays on heavy gear for life anc checks out at 43 because he never wanted to live as a normal joe.
the thing is that he's not big, not in the traditional sense because he's so short, he's what i call muscular but not big, i don't see how anyone under 5'11" or 6 feet could be considered big.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Stavios

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2006, 11:46:45 AM »
the thing is that he's not big, not in the traditional sense because he's so short, he's what i call muscular but not big, i don't see how anyone under 5'11" or 6 feet could be considered big.

So you would consider a guy who is 5"11 in shape but less muscular than lee big ?

I understand what you mean. My training partner is a fucking monster 5"7 245 lbs in shape and I once saw him talk with a guy in the gym who is like 6"2 and he didn't look as impressive

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2006, 12:07:51 PM »
So you would consider a guy who is 5"11 in shape but less muscular than lee big ?
I understand what you mean. My training partner is a fucking monster 5"7 245 lbs in shape and I once saw him talk with a guy in the gym who is like 6"2 and he didn't look as impressive
the way i look at it is that no mater how muscular you are if you're looking up at another man, you're his bitch.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Stavios

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2006, 12:29:01 PM »
I am 5"11, my brother is a skinny 6"4 and I have yet to see him kick my ass

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2006, 07:26:12 PM »
I just got the latest MD.

Nice to see the folding cover shit is gone!

:D

FLEX N FREAK

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »
Blaster, you already got the priest/henry issue? Subscription, or newsstand?

I agree the folding cover sucked

IndustryInsider

• Getbig II
  • and one and two
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2006, 08:52:56 AM »
Mine just arrived as well.  Nice issue :)  426 pages...I'll be reading this for a week!

I guess I'm in the minority here about the folding covers.  They truly did not bother me.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »
I buy MD and enjoy it.

Actually, it's the only BB mag I buy.

I'm pissed that the girl I dumped last year didn't renew the subscription. :(

ignorance

• Getbig III
  • https://www.facebook.com/ResearchBodybuilding
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2006, 09:18:40 AM »
MD just has 4 poages of stuff that is worth reading, mostly just the end part.

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2006, 09:51:22 AM »
MD just has 4 poages of stuff that is worth reading, mostly just the end part.

Your name suits you.
BKS - Guardian of Truth

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2006, 11:48:02 PM »
Blaster, you already got the priest/henry issue? Subscription, or newsstand?

I agree the folding cover sucked

Ah, I have the one with the Beauty and the Priest article. It's probably 6 months old since I live in Oz... ::)