Author Topic: Bodybuilding's DEAD POOL... this list is f#@king crazy...  (Read 59670 times)

ScienTOMogy

• Getbig I
  • I wanna be built like Cruise!
Bodybuilding's DEAD POOL... this list is f#@king crazy...
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:56:55 AM »
Off the top of my head I can think of the following pros/top amateurs that have died well before their number should have been up... it's beyond a joke (and this is from memory - I've no doubt missed a bunch)

Andreas Munzer30
BJ Johns34
Charles Durr45
Curtis Leffler36
Derrick Whitsett37
Don Ross55
Don Youngblood50
Fannie Barrios39
Mike Mentzer49
Mohammad Benaziza28 ...20 fricken 8!!
Paul DeMayo37
Ray Mentzer47
Sonny Schmidt46

Momo and DeMayo broke my heart, I remember being stunned for days after reading of Paul's unfittingly pathetic death (and I mean that resectfully - he deserved to be known as Quadzilla not that bodybuilder that OD'ed...). Munzer, well, we could have seen that coming maybe, the guy was a freak - who needs anatomy charts he had no skin! Being from NZ BJ's death rocked me as well.

What do you think? Is it out of control or do we, as the bbing community just get thrown into the spotlight due to the 'steriod' stereotype?

It's a shame anyway, there's some legends on that list for sure.

Glen Stollery
Auckland, NZ

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Bodybuilding's DEAD POOL... this list is f#@king crazy...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:59:48 AM »
I think it's only going to get worse in the next 10 years.

ScienTOMogy

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 11:08:48 AM »

Unfortunately I agree. I mean look at that list and count how many died after 2000? And, there's no way of stopping it. No way at all. Face it, bbers by nature push to the extreme. We force feed our bodies only to starve them. We are the only sport where to succeed you must concentrate on the negative (rep) and our goal everyday is to strive to fail (in every set). We wanna be the biggest, strongest, leanest, and we're inherently "Type A" personalities (some with body dysmorphia just to really fuck it all up)

When you get to a professional level it's a race to best the best - at any cost. We can't change that, it's burnt into the psychology of every bbers mind... it has to be, or we'd be playing chess or something.

Nope, I agree, it can only get worse...

Glen

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 11:10:26 AM »
Hi Glen. Glad to see another person from Auckland posting on Getbig  :) You are up early, especially to be posting on Getbig

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 11:19:14 AM »
Whatever

People die in every sport...

but the funny thing is, people are so concerned about bodybuilders dying and "how crazy the sport is getting" but they support soldiers being sent off to war for no reason and getting killed!

Lets make a list of how many soldiers have died under the age of 25, its going to be way longer than any list from bodybuilding related deaths.

Wow, talk about twisting the point to try to get in your own view on something totally unrelated.  Idiot.

robocop

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »

exactly ;D

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »
13 people of some odd 400+ professionals.
Amazing.
young niggah greedy

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »
Its a comparison to show how insignificant "bodybuilding deaths" are related to other things that are a part of each and everyones life.

The point is, its not that big of an issue.

It's a BODYBUILDING board, where people, on occasion, discuss BODYBUILDING subjects.  It's not any less relevant than any other topic discussed here.

ScienTOMogy

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
Hi Glen. Glad to see another person from Auckland posting on Getbig  :) You are up early, especially to be posting on Getbig

Monday morning gotta clear my emails! I own a site called "ScienTOMogy" as a hobby (well it recently had 14 million hits in ten days so it's almost a job!) - it's purpose is to point out what a deranged nutcase Crusie is so no one listens to his psychotic rants, and i get a lot of mail from there (fan and HATE mail!).

I've lurked here for ages but much more so since Titus went off the rails...

And your excuse?! :)

ScienTOMogy

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
Even if you are to strictly focusing on bodybuilding, thats not a big number of deaths compared to how many bodybuilders there are. ITS NOT AN ISSUE IN BODYBUILDING OR OTHERWISE.

I beg to differ. What other sport has it's professional athletes barely make 50... if they're lucky!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 11:52:12 AM »

Monday morning gotta clear my emails! I own a site called "ScienTOMogy" as a hobby (well it recently had 14 million hits in ten days so it's almost a job!) - it's purpose is to point out what a deranged nutcase Crusie is so no one listens to his psychotic rants, and i get a lot of mail from there (fan and HATE mail!).

I've lurked here for ages but much more so since Titus went off the rails...

And your excuse?! :)

Do the graveyard shift which means I get paid to stay up. So, what better way to spend the night than seeing what all the assholes here have to say  ;D

Kaliym73

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 11:54:23 AM »

Nuff said.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »
Can anyone draft up a list on how eeach of the guys mentioned above passed away?

Or simply comment if the cause of death was drug related or not.

I doubt that any bodybuilder has passed away under a heavy bench press, but that could be a possibility. Anyone know?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 12:10:50 PM »
I beg to differ. What other sport has it's professional athletes barely make 50... if they're lucky!

As well as have numerous others have to retire early (at the ripe age of 35+ if they're lucky!) due to failed kidneys, or other assorted maladies. Flex Wheeler, Tom Prince, Don Long, and who knows who else. Oh, Mike Morris and he wasn't even in the upper echelon (still a freak nonetheless).
How many of the people that we have seen drop out of sight, how many of them have actually bowed out due to health problems? How many have not, and just quietly decided to retire due to disgust in the BBing world?

ScienTOMogy

• Getbig I
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 12:15:14 PM »
Can anyone draft up a list on how eeach of the guys mentioned above passed away?

Or simply comment if the cause of death was drug related or not.

I doubt that any bodybuilder has passed away under a heavy bench press, but that could be a possibility. Anyone know?

I could do this easily but with a couple of "notable" exceptions like Momo and DeMayo the majority died from heart attacks and the like which you can't specifically point at drug use. However, it seems a little strange that past pros are having trouble hitting 50 -and the rest of the population breaks 70 no probs huh?  ::)

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 12:19:22 PM »
Men are hardly breaking 65.
young niggah greedy

ScienTOMogy

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 12:29:32 PM »
Men are hardly breaking 65.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=20557
Life Expectancy in USA Increases to 77.6 Years; Deaths from Heart Disease, Cancer Decline, Report Finds
Article Date: 03 Mar 2005 - 20:00pm (UK)
Life expectancy for U.S. residents increased to a record 77.6 years and mortality rates for most leading causes of death declined in 2003, according to the preliminary annual mortality report released Monday by... CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, the AP/Las Vegas Sun reports (Schmid, AP/Las Vegas Sun, 2/28)....

http://www.overpopulation.com/articles/2003/000014.html
Life Expectancy in United States Hits New High
Friday, March 28, 2003
The Centers for Disease Control reported this month that life expectancy in the United States reached a new high of 77.2 years.
For men, average life expectance is now at 74.4 years, and for women at 79.8 years. Broken down by race, the average life expectancy for whites is 77.7 years and for blacks 72.2 years.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 12:41:26 PM »
Off the top of my head I can think of the following pros/top amateurs that have died well before their number should have been up... it's beyond a joke (and this is from memory - I've no doubt missed a bunch)

Andreas Munzer30
BJ Johns34
Charles Durr45
Curtis Leffler36
Derrick Whitsett37
Don Ross55
Don Youngblood50
Fannie Barrios39
Mike Mentzer49
Mohammad Benaziza28 ...20 fricken 8!!
Paul DeMayo37
Ray Mentzer47
Sonny Schmidt46

Momo and DeMayo broke my heart, I remember being stunned for days after reading of Paul's unfittingly pathetic death (and I mean that resectfully - he deserved to be known as Quadzilla not that bodybuilder that OD'ed...). Munzer, well, we could have seen that coming maybe, the guy was a freak - who needs anatomy charts he had no skin! Being from NZ BJ's death rocked me as well.

What do you think? Is it out of control or do we, as the bbing community just get thrown into the spotlight due to the 'steriod' stereotype?

It's a shame anyway, there's some legends on that list for sure.

Glen Stollery
Auckland, NZ

What do you expect? Being that HUGE and awesome looking comes with a price. I always wanted to look like that, I train my ass off..I tried gear a year ago, then it hit me, "Wow..i have to do this for a WHILE and alot of it..WHY?" lol.. there is no point, unless you have so awesome genetics and you think you have a shot of being somewhat successfull..
So after a year of cycling, and even though it made me big as shit, and strong, I saw how much u lose between cycles..it snot worth it iMHO.. im back to being natural, and not playing with that..I see the guys in the gym that are "On" props to them, they look great, but im not willing to ruin my health in the future for it. Im content with being marginally Big, and in great shape...and just admiring these peopel from the seats..

Its sad it sso dangerous for the pros..

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=20557
Life Expectancy in USA Increases to 77.6 Years; Deaths from Heart Disease, Cancer Decline, Report Finds
Article Date: 03 Mar 2005 - 20:00pm (UK)
Life expectancy for U.S. residents increased to a record 77.6 years and mortality rates for most leading causes of death declined in 2003, according to the preliminary annual mortality report released Monday by... CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, the AP/Las Vegas Sun reports (Schmid, AP/Las Vegas Sun, 2/28)....

http://www.overpopulation.com/articles/2003/000014.html
Life Expectancy in United States Hits New High
Friday, March 28, 2003
The Centers for Disease Control reported this month that life expectancy in the United States reached a new high of 77.2 years.
For men, average life expectance is now at 74.4 years, and for women at 79.8 years. Broken down by race, the average life expectancy for whites is 77.7 years and for blacks 72.2 years.

HAHA. Absent has been thoroughly OWNED.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »
Jack Delinger - 66
George Eiferman - 77
Roland Essmaker - 86
John Farbotnik - 73
Vince Girona - 80
Joe Gold - 82
Bert Goodrich - 85
John Grimek - 88
George Hackenschmidt - 90
Oscar Heidenstam - 80
Gene Jantzen - 91
Siegmund Klein - 85
Ron Lacy - 75
Frank Leight - 78
Sam Loprinzi - 83
Bob McCune - 82
Eric Pedersen - 62
Don Peters - 70
Steve Reeves - 74
Eddie Silvestre - 70
Chuck Sipes - 61
Steve Stanko - 61
Ed Theriault - 73
Harold Zinkin - 82

Still going strong:

Jules Bacon - 89
Dan Lurie - 83
Clarence Ross - 83
Jim Park - 79
Bill Pearl - 76
Dick DuBois - 73
Jim Morris - 71
Larry Scott - 68

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
Jack Delinger - 66
George Eiferman - 77
Roland Essmaker - 86
John Farbotnik - 73
Vince Girona - 80
Joe Gold - 82
Bert Goodrich - 85
John Grimek - 88
George Hackenschmidt - 90
Oscar Heidenstam - 80
Gene Jantzen - 91
Siegmund Klein - 85
Ron Lacy - 75
Frank Leight - 78
Sam Loprinzi - 83
Bob McCune - 82
Eric Pedersen - 62
Don Peters - 70
Steve Reeves - 74
Eddie Silvestre - 70
Chuck Sipes - 61
Steve Stanko - 61
Ed Theriault - 73
Harold Zinkin - 82

It's a good thing the oldtimers were healthy .

Atomicmike

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2006, 01:10:57 PM »
There should also be a list of bodybuilders who had kidney problems which seem to be another problem in the sport.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 01:51:48 PM »
Interesting how old the guys from the earlier days live till and how young the guys of today live till. 

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 01:53:29 PM »
Interesting how old the guys from the earlier days live till and how young the guys of today live till. 

I could just as easily come up with a list of bodybuilders who died young in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 03:12:42 PM »
Can I take you up on that offer Tim?  I'm curious to see how the two lists compare.

here are a few

Juan Ferrero - 40
Caesar Juliani - 22 - gun shot
Gene Massey - 26 - plane crash
Ray McNeil - 30
Victor Nicoletti - 50
Floyd Page - 38
Carlos Rodriguez - 48
Tom Sansone - 38 - cancer
Rock Stonewall - 54
Tony Terlazzo - 56
Ron Teufel - 45 - HIV