Author Topic: Natty Layne Norton reviews Raising the Bar 3  (Read 1614 times)

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Natty Layne Norton reviews Raising the Bar 3
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:01:59 PM »
I love bodybuilding. I love going to shows, I love helping people prepare for shows, I love the whole process. That said, the only bodybuilding DVD I have ever purchased was Pumping Iron, let’s be honest, it’s kind of a requirement to be a bodybuilder.

Today however, most bodybuilding DVD’s are pretty much crap. There is no ingenuity, lousy editing, little story, not much information, just straight B-roll footage of a guy lifting and eating with the occasional driving to the gym scene. Even the footage looks grainy often times. I often wonder if instead of hiring a camera man, they just strapped a camera on the back of their dog and had the dog follow them around throughout the day. Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. The camera work probably at least requires the level of a highly trained chimpanzee.

Raising the Bar 3 immediately stood out as soon as I loaded it into my player. It actually had a decent menu that was easy to use. Put a check mark in that category. As soon as the DVD starts it is quite apparent that this is not going to be a normal bodybuilding DVD. It is a straight documentary about Dave Pulcinella’s last shot at winning a pro card, but it is well done with a great narration by Mike Pulcinella. I especially like the fact that each scene is introduced with a quote or a statement regarding what is going to follow. It piques the viewer’s interest.

Five minutes into the story I can tell you that Dave and I are almost complete opposites. I do not think you could have carved us out anymore differently. I am a big proponent of trying to make bodybuilding fun, enjoyable, and making it fit in balance with the rest of your life. I try to promote ‘moderation’ in that I may have a slice of pizza every now and then but I never eat the whole thing and I never beat myself up over it. Dave is the exact opposite. Dave is ALL OR NOTHING. He mentions after his last show he took months off from lifting and proper nutrition.

Dave is definitely an extreme personality, but this makes it entertaining to the viewer and particularly myself since Dave is so much different, it intrigued me and kept me wanting to learn more about him and how his all or nothing lifestyle.

The core of this movie is Dave’s pursuit of his pro card, and it is very compelling. Even though I found Dave to be very different from myself, I could not help but root for him and I even found myself getting nervous as they were announcing the placements at his show. I know what it’s like to want something with all your will and I know what it’s like to stand up onstage in an overall pose down with your eyes closed, mouth dry, and heart pounding so hard you can feel it through your chest waiting to find out whether or not you have achieved the ascension to the next level.

However I believe the underlying theme of this documentary is Dave’s struggle to find balance between bodybuilding and the other areas of his life. As he says, when he prepares for a show, all other areas of his life suffer. Without giving away too much of the movie, I will just say I found this struggle almost more compelling than his quest for a pro card, as I too went through a similar struggle finding balance between bodybuilding and my life. Once I found balance, it actually made bodybuilding far more enjoyable and I actually had better workouts and stuck to my diet more consistently. I find myself rooting for Dave even more so in this area than I was for him to win his pro card.

One thing this documentary captures better than any other bodybuilding DVD has ever done is capture the emotional and psychological battle every bodybuilder wages within their self. If it was just as simple as working hard in the gym and eating right, then competing would be far easier. Unfortunately mind games can play hell on you during prep. As Dave says in the DVD ‘one person just saying one wrong thing to you can throw you off.’

For people who have never done a show, you simply can’t possibly imagine how difficult those psychological and emotional battles are to win until you’ve actually done a show, but Raising the Bar 3 does a fantastic job of making you feel those emotions and the internal battle that is waged through Dave. If only they could have borrowed a line from Spiderman 3 perhaps they could have marketed part of the movie with the quote “The greatest battle lies within” as I found this to be another truly compelling part of RTB3.

If there is one thing Dave is, he is real. He never sugar coats it and he shoots it straight. He is the kind of person that a lot of people will love and a love of people will probably hate, but most everyone will respect. Whether you agree with his philosophy and how he does things, you can’t help but root for him, his emotion is just too raw and in your face to escape. His brother Mike does a fantastic job of capturing it all. If there was one critique on the film it would probably be that some of the footage was a bit grainy, but that might have been for effect.

Overall, it was a great watch and left me really curious about how Dave is doing and rooting for him as a competitor and as for someone struggling to find balance, like so many other bodybuilders. I hope to meet Dave one day and shake his hand.

Layne Norton

View clips...

Buy RTB1, 2 & 3 here...
http://mikepulcinella.com/dvdsforsale.htm

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Natty Layne Norton reviews Raising the Bar 3
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
Why do bodybuilders think they are the center of the universe--even when they are reviewing someone elses DVD?

I couldn't get through the review because Layne kept on injecting himself into it.

He wasn't in the DVD was he? Again, I couldn't finish.

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:33:37 PM »
It's very relevant because it means that even though Dave is a different kind of BB, the doc still spoke to Layne and he could find some way to relate it to his journey. I am proud of that.

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
I love bodybuilding. I love going to shows, I love helping people prepare for shows, I love the whole process. That said, the only bodybuilding DVD I have ever purchased was Pumping Iron, let’s be honest, it’s kind of a requirement to be a bodybuilder.

Today however, most bodybuilding DVD’s are pretty much crap. There is no ingenuity, lousy editing, little story, not much information, just straight B-roll footage of a guy lifting and eating with the occasional driving to the gym scene. Even the footage looks grainy often times. I often wonder if instead of hiring a camera man, they just strapped a camera on the back of their dog and had the dog follow them around throughout the day. Ok, maybe that’s a little harsh. The camera work probably at least requires the level of a highly trained chimpanzee.

Raising the Bar 3 immediately stood out as soon as I loaded it into my player. It actually had a decent menu that was easy to use. Put a check mark in that category. As soon as the DVD starts it is quite apparent that this is not going to be a normal bodybuilding DVD. It is a straight documentary about Dave Pulcinella’s last shot at winning a pro card, but it is well done with a great narration by Mike Pulcinella. I especially like the fact that each scene is introduced with a quote or a statement regarding what is going to follow. It piques the viewer’s interest.

Five minutes into the story I can tell you that Dave and I are almost complete opposites. I do not think you could have carved us out anymore differently. I am a big proponent of trying to make bodybuilding fun, enjoyable, and making it fit in balance with the rest of your life. I try to promote ‘moderation’ in that I may have a slice of pizza every now and then but I never eat the whole thing and I never beat myself up over it. Dave is the exact opposite. Dave is ALL OR NOTHING. He mentions after his last show he took months off from lifting and proper nutrition.

Dave is definitely an extreme personality, but this makes it entertaining to the viewer and particularly myself since Dave is so much different, it intrigued me and kept me wanting to learn more about him and how his all or nothing lifestyle.

The core of this movie is Dave’s pursuit of his pro card, and it is very compelling. Even though I found Dave to be very different from myself, I could not help but root for him and I even found myself getting nervous as they were announcing the placements at his show. I know what it’s like to want something with all your will and I know what it’s like to stand up onstage in an overall pose down with your eyes closed, mouth dry, and heart pounding so hard you can feel it through your chest waiting to find out whether or not you have achieved the ascension to the next level.

However I believe the underlying theme of this documentary is Dave’s struggle to find balance between bodybuilding and the other areas of his life. As he says, when he prepares for a show, all other areas of his life suffer. Without giving away too much of the movie, I will just say I found this struggle almost more compelling than his quest for a pro card, as I too went through a similar struggle finding balance between bodybuilding and my life. Once I found balance, it actually made bodybuilding far more enjoyable and I actually had better workouts and stuck to my diet more consistently. I find myself rooting for Dave even more so in this area than I was for him to win his pro card.

One thing this documentary captures better than any other bodybuilding DVD has ever done is capture the emotional and psychological battle every bodybuilder wages within their self. If it was just as simple as working hard in the gym and eating right, then competing would be far easier. Unfortunately mind games can play hell on you during prep. As Dave says in the DVD ‘one person just saying one wrong thing to you can throw you off.’

For people who have never done a show, you simply can’t possibly imagine how difficult those psychological and emotional battles are to win until you’ve actually done a show, but Raising the Bar 3 does a fantastic job of making you feel those emotions and the internal battle that is waged through Dave. If only they could have borrowed a line from Spiderman 3 perhaps they could have marketed part of the movie with the quote “The greatest battle lies within” as I found this to be another truly compelling part of RTB3.

If there is one thing Dave is, he is real. He never sugar coats it and he shoots it straight. He is the kind of person that a lot of people will love and a love of people will probably hate, but most everyone will respect. Whether you agree with his philosophy and how he does things, you can’t help but root for him, his emotion is just too raw and in your face to escape. His brother Mike does a fantastic job of capturing it all. If there was one critique on the film it would probably be that some of the footage was a bit grainy, but that might have been for effect.

Overall, it was a great watch and left me really curious about how Dave is doing and rooting for him as a competitor and as for someone struggling to find balance, like so many other bodybuilders. I hope to meet Dave one day and shake his hand.

Layne Norton

View clips...

Buy RTB1, 2 & 3 here...

hi dave puncherella.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »
daves not the most photogenic guy in the world, just like yates. i remember when i first joined the gym where dave runs his business out of, i saw a few pics of him hanging by his office and i thought ( hes decent). but one day i stayed late to finish some work and he was training, i was like damn, that boy looks like a pro. he was really shredded and very hard, then i said to myself that the pics dont do him justice. hes also the type of guy that is easy to like, he makes everyone feel good about themselves and installs hope into people that felt hopeless before they trained and dieted under his guidence.
R

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:59:30 AM »

I couldn't get through the review because Layne kept on injecting himself into it.

LOL.

spinnis

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:04:31 AM »
Off and On

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
I honestly like him...hardworking And makes a ton of sacrifices for his dream

I hope he gets it

MethodGNA

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Been Real_Been Nice...But it Hasn't Been Real Nice
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 02:55:05 AM »

Layne Norton

View clips...

Buy RTB1, 2 & 3 here...

file this all, especially layne norton into the.............who gives a flyin' fuck bin ::) ::)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 03:36:26 AM »
Why do bodybuilders think they are the center of the universe--even when they are reviewing someone elses DVD?

He wasn't in the DVD was he? Again, I couldn't finish.
Spot on! I even started to count the number of 'I's and gave up. What a 'tard.      ::)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:58 AM »
Good review and insight.  DVD looks cool, these are the kind of documentaries that show more that just a training vid.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 03:57:34 AM »

I've already ordered the documentary, because I'm a huge fan of Mike's work.  He may not be that well-known, but he's far and away the best filmmaker in our industry today. 

Not at all a fan of this review, though.  Norton spends more time talking about himself than he does the DVD.  A single reference or two to his own experiences might've been appropriate, but the constant 'me, me, me' was far too distracting. 

It's always nice for someone to provide a review of your work but in this instance...review FAIL. 

I hope others will provide more substantive - and less self-centered - reviews, Mike.  You do great work and I hope that the feedback you receive - as well as the all-important sales(!) - will reflect that.

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »
I've already ordered the documentary, because I'm a huge fan of Mike's work.  He may not be that well-known, but he's far and away the best filmmaker in our industry today. 

Not at all a fan of this review, though.  Norton spends more time talking about himself than he does the DVD.  A single reference or two to his own experiences might've been appropriate, but the constant 'me, me, me' was far too distracting. 

It's always nice for someone to provide a review of your work but in this instance...review FAIL. 

I hope others will provide more substantive - and less self-centered - reviews, Mike.  You do great work and I hope that the feedback you receive - as well as the all-important sales(!) - will reflect that.

Thanks for your support Tre!

I do see your point about the review but I didn't have as much of a problem with it. many people have told me how the RTB series seems to speak to them personally. More than one competitor has said "It's like it's MY life up there!"

So, to see someone review RTB3 in such a personal manner kind of made sense to me. However, it's always nice to get differing viewpoints and I am looking forward to a few more reviews from others to whom I have sent advance copies.

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
It's good that you are entertaining other points of view.

That review says to me "Hey, this ain't the way I'd live my life but whatever...."

A Layne Norton fan isn't going to rush out to buy this DVD. And, isn't that the purpose of using him as an endorser?

And who cares about all those cinematography comments? It's a very nice touch but not the main reason why people buy bodybuilding DVDs.

I would go with the this is what you'll learn and discover in this DVD angle. The old adage What's in it for me? Not what's in it for Layne.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »

"Our Industry"...............LMAO!   ::)

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »
Off and On

thats right, "swede". thats the only difference between those 2 pics. in the 2nd pic i took one of them there steeroid pills. thats it!