Author Topic: Tom PLATZ biceps tear  (Read 38558 times)

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
Re: Tom PLATZ biceps tear
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »
Too bad Padilla was more complete.

Too bad Padilla was a lot smaller
And the Biggest Too Bad is that Neither of them Won in 81.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
I remember reading about this when it happened. Platz waz trying to outdo his 81 shape which was phenomenal. He was training like a man possessed. be was known for his intensity and was in incredible shape a few weeks before the show tore his biceps. didn't want to waste all the effort he put into prepping for that show and decided to go through with it. only later admitting he should have gotten it fixed immediately and skipped the show. later on like 85, 86, the bicep had healed quite nicely but his career was ready on the downside by then.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
Re-attach immediately.
That's what I had done with my quad tear august 7th.
Still a long road ahead, but on the right track.

Don't hesitate: muscletendon tear -> hopital + surgery the same day. Don't let them talk you out of it. Prognosis drops each day.

says Dr Dutch

You are correct. The longer you wait to reattach a tendon the greater the odds it can't be fixed.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
You are right. It was a partial tear. So they do not operate if the tear is partial, just let it heal?
But in most cases it will end up deformed, right?

(I am not asking this because I believe for a second that you are a real doc, just so you know  ;D )

Not a doctor. Yes you can have a partial tendon tear that needs to be repaired or a complete tear.  You can also have a muscle tear that is not something that can be repaired. Usually when you talk about a muscle rupture it's the muscle ripping off the bone by a torn tendon.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
Platz and Dorian appear to both have distal tears which is less common than proximal tears. I met with Tom a few years back and he said his torn arm is stronger than his non repaired arm. Ironically I was recovering from my own proximal bicep reattachment at the time. He encouraged me saying it would heal strong and it has. Problem is I picked the wrong surgeon. I was going to go to Cleveland clinic but chose a closer location to Pittsburgh. The guy I saw I think didn't do these routinely. I still think he attached to too low. My proximal end tore. Also it's a misconception that it needs reattached right away. That's what I always used to think. It will atrophy like any muscle will that's not being used but the surgeon in Cleveland clinic said he had find them almost a year after they ripped off the bone. You are simply reattaching the tendon to the bone. I have no studies on waiting as opposed to not waiting but that's what he told me.

That's not true. If you tear a bicep off distally by ripping the tendon off the bone if it's done within a few days they will sew it to a metal anchor. Since the tendon tear is fresh the tendon will grow back into the bone where it was freshly torn off. If it's done many weeks later many times they have to use a cadaver tendon and the odds of it reattaching to bone diminishes. What some surgeons are talking about is repairing for non athletic use at a later date. They will sew it to an anchor. It will never be naturally attached anymore. That repair can fail with time because it's not a naturally attached tendon. I wouldn't want to deadlift a weight with a bicep attached to to an anchor three years ago that was done 8 months after the initial injury.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
te bicep had healed quite nicely

Why then, when he did his '90s comeback, was his right arm still way down in size and visibly shorter bicep attachment like Dorian?

And here's the '84 O. Tom is in good shape here and does a really good job at hiding his weaker arm through the poses, but it is very obvious that he is favoring it badly. The few poses where he has to hit both arms at once you can see the huge size difference.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
his legs ruined it.

guy obviously missed out on the proportion/balanced physique bit

his legs made him

if his legs were 50% less and his upper body 50% more he would be a medicore name etc

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2018, 11:22:35 PM »
Why didn't he have the biceps reattached?

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2018, 03:51:18 AM »
Some tears can not be fixed. He had a really bad one like Dorian. I think it depends if it is a full tear or a partial. A partial you just reattach but if its a full tear youre fucked.
MIRAGETROPIN

LanceD

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2018, 06:43:32 AM »
If you recall, Platz biceps were weak until the Mexico universe.  Then they suddenly appeared...

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2018, 07:18:12 AM »
His upper body was way ahead of his legs originally

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »
Why then, when he did his '90s comeback, was his right arm still way down in size and visibly shorter bicep attachment like Dorian?

And here's the '84 O. Tom is in good shape here and does a really good job at hiding his weaker arm through the poses, but it is very obvious that he is favoring it badly. The few poses where he has to hit both arms at once you can see the huge size difference.

it's relative. we're talking about an injury, a bad muscle tear. of course there was obvious imbalance and yes the injured arm was down in size. He had a bad biceps tear of course there's going to be differences. As far as muscle tears go he had a pretty bad one and compared to what it looked like in 82 it healed rather well. compare with Johnny fuller pec tear.

platz arm looked better in 85 and 86. Although he got in shape in the 90's I don't know if id call it a comeback, it's not like he got in competition shape and stepped on stage to enter a contest.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
old timer otto atco got a lot  of mileage out of a torn bicep.
F

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »
it's relative. we're talking about an injury, a bad muscle tear. of course there was obvious imbalance and yes the injured arm was down in size. He had a bad biceps tear of course there's going to be differences. As far as muscle tears go he had a pretty bad one and compared to what it looked like in 82 it healed rather well. compare with Johnny fuller pec tear.

platz arm looked better in 85 and 86. Although he got in shape in the 90's I don't know if id call it a comeback, it's not like he got in competition shape and stepped on stage to enter a contest.

How did he tear his biceps? Do you know on which exercise?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2018, 01:17:31 PM »
How did he tear his biceps? Do you know on which exercise?

Doing dumbell flyes IIRC
Though not 100% sure.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
Doing dumbell flyes IIRC
Though not 100% sure.

Yes, it was dumbbell flyes. He was doing partial reps at the end of the set and training to failure.