Author Topic: Who believes in God?  (Read 51774 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Who believes in God?
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »
To suggest that God was the result of some Cause, puts you in an endless loop, because you will always ask what caused the force that created the godforce and so on it goes indefinitely  If you answered that some other force created the Godforce, well the obvious question after that is "What created that"!

An infinite regression.
X

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2012, 11:58:02 PM »
Let's play the platitude game! Is it "event → reason" where → means "causes" or that "reason → event"?

OK... I did think of god as a force. But all the forces I know are caused by something. What's the cause of the Godforce?

What is the cause for the Godforce? Or, is it "meaningless"?
The answer is "yes".

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
An infinite regression.
It's called "recursion".
The answer is "yes".

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 12:02:47 AM »
What is the cause for the Godforce? Or, is it "meaningless"?

I don't know. Some guy asked me to imagine God as a force. I did. But, having a rudimentary understanding of physics I know that forces aren't uncaused. So surely a God that's a force is caused by something. So, I was asking the guy who asked me to imagine God as a force what caused this "God" that's a force.

It's called "recursion".

Actually no: recursion requires a base case. It's called "infinite regress"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »
It's called "recursion".

The regress argument (also known as the diallelus (Latin < Greek di allelon "through or by means of one another")) is a problem in epistemology and, in general, a problem in any situation where a statement has to be justified.

According to this argument, any proposition requires a justification. However, any justification itself requires support. This means that any proposition whatsoever can be endlessly (infinitely) questioned, like a child who asks "why?" over and over again.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »
I don't know. Some guy asked me to imagine God as a force. I did. But, having a rudimentary understanding of physics I know that forces aren't uncaused. So surely a God that's a force is caused by something. So, I was asking the guy who asked me to imagine God as a force what caused this "God" that's a force.

Thank you. I knew I was right  :D
X

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »

Wow! Looks like you have God all figured out! Alert the news and let them know...you'll be remembered as one of the greatest humans of all time as you have pretty much shit canned all religions. What a great guy!
The answer is "yes".

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
The regress argument (also known as the diallelus (Latin < Greek di allelon "through or by means of one another")) is a problem in epistemology and, in general, a problem in any situation where a statement has to be justified.

According to this argument, any proposition requires a justification. However, any justification itself requires support. This means that any proposition whatsoever can be endlessly (infinitely) questioned, like a child who asks "why?" over and over again.

OMG...wowwwwwwwww..you guys taking it (pardon the phrase) biblical to the meaning...OK....duly noted.
The answer is "yes".

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »
Wow! Looks like you have God all figured out! Alert the news and let them know...you'll be remembered as one of the greatest humans of all time as you have pretty much shit canned all religions. What a great guy!

I do? Shit, I knew I was special and now everyone else will know it too! But, uhm... just so we're on the same page, what exactly, do you claim I figured out?

the trainer

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »
The power of god is within all of us we are our own worse enemies we are the ones who lose control get frustrated and say fuck this shit i dont want to do it anymore that is why we fail.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
The power of god is within all of us we are our own worse enemies we are the ones who lose control get frustrated and say fuck this shit i dont want to do it anymore that is why we fail.

Hooray for meaningless mumbo-jumbo!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
OMG...wowwwwwwwww..you guys taking it (pardon the phrase) biblical to the meaning...OK....duly noted.

No, I was just stating what it was called. You're the one who came in and said I was wrong and tried to provide an alternative answer.
X

the trainer

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2012, 12:11:05 AM »
Hooray for meaningless mumbo-jumbo!

Oh please i am sure you have given up on shit many times in your life you know what i am talking about that is why only 1% of the world has real money.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2012, 12:11:42 AM »
I do? Shit, I knew I was special and now everyone else will know it too! But, uhm... just so we're on the same page, what exactly, do you claim I figured out?

We aren't on same page. You smugly turn to science and deny God, while I believe in His/Her existence.

How is that same page?

Oh, and the fact that I believe in God, will result in smug put downs, etc. by you.
The answer is "yes".

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »
We aren't on same page. You smugly turn to science and deny God, while I believe in His/Her existence.

How is that same page?

Oh, and the fact that I believe in God, will result in smug put downs, etc. by you.

Daddy8ball, are you trolling?
X

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
Oh please i am sure you have given up on shit many times in your life you know what i am talking about that is why only 1% of the world has real money.

??? Wha...?

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
Daddy8ball, are you trolling?

If I were, 3 pages aint too bad..but I'm not.
The answer is "yes".

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »
??? Wha...?

yes, a very confusing post  :-\
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2012, 12:14:32 AM »
If I were, 3 pages aint too bad..but I'm not.

Hmmm, the last post wreaked of sarcasm.

Anyway, go on about your business. Its fun watching threads like this  :) :)
X

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2012, 12:17:10 AM »
Hmmm, the last post wreaked of sarcasm.

Anyway, go on about your business. Its fun watching threads like this  :) :)

If your logic had any merit, it would have won out in eons past..don't you think? Your arguments are not new. You present no unique insight. If you're argument was a "winning" argument, don't you think we'd know by now?
The answer is "yes".

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »
We aren't on same page.

You don't say?!?

You smugly turn to science and deny God, while I believe in His/Her existence.

Yeah. But hey, at least I know quantum mechanics. And not just the "layman" kind ;D

How is that same page?

It's a quantum page. Until the wave function collapses we both are and aren't on the page.

You're confused. I don't put you down because you believe in God. Your beliefs are your own business. I put you down for a very different reason: for your ridiculous layman quantum mechanics claims, your poor understanding of basic concepts like temporal causality and your silly failed attempt to pass yourself off as a scientist.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2012, 12:23:09 AM »
You don't say?!?

Yeah. But hey, at least I know quantum mechanics. And not just the "layman" kind ;D

It's a quantum page. Until the wave function collapses we both are and aren't on the page.

You're confused. I don't put you down because you believe in God. Your beliefs are your own business. I put you down for a very different reason: for your ridiculous layman quantum mechanics claims, your poor understanding of basic concepts like temporal causality and your silly failed attempt to pass yourself off as a scientist.

You were good until you reached into the part where I tried to "pass myself off as a scientists".

Seriously? You're seriously going with that?

And throwing out words willy nilly like "silly" and "ridiculous" might pass with the general public, but c'mon..this is GetBig..they'll see thru that....lol
The answer is "yes".

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2012, 12:24:37 AM »
You were good until you reached into the part where I tried to "pass myself off as a scientists".

Seriously? You're seriously going with that?

And throwing out words willy nilly like "silly" and "ridiculous" might pass with the general public, but c'mon..this is GetBig..they'll see thru that....lol

That's getbig for you ;) Now excuse me. It's 12:30AM on a Sunday and the gym is calling!

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2012, 12:25:18 AM »
most of the hawkins stuff is prerecorded

never trust a robot
T

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2012, 12:25:48 AM »
Who said God wants to be worshiped? Some man somewhere? Again...read the fuck up.
You're the smartest person in the history of the world.

All those who disagree with you are stupid and inferior.

And you've read more books than the history of mankind combined.

I'm going to read the fuck up.
G