Author Topic: Ever left a good job because of the BS  (Read 1424 times)

G.O.A.T.

• Getbig II
  • TEAM LESNAR
Ever left a good job because of the BS
« on: August 14, 2010, 06:36:44 AM »
Coming to a crossroads career wise. Actually I have been here a couple times before but have chose to stay where I am at due to security. I have a family so I have to keep them in mind. I am a manager for a phone company call center. It's a long story how I ended up there but anyways have worked there for over 6 years and been a manager for the last 3 1/2. But it's a call center full of messy ass people, mostly women. It is a Union environment so you have to walk on eggshells or your fighting grievance all the time. These people get paid really well for answering a phone and all they do is complain, try not to work and try to rat each other out. Then there are some that are just evil, filing anonymous EEO complaints, grievances and dirty shit like that to try and get you fired. I apparantly have caught the attention of one of these evil bitches because now I am a target. I am a good employee and all my appraisal's more than back that statement up. My results speak for themselves. But I'm just tired of this environment. I know if I leave it might be a while before I can make the salary I currently make. The area I live in doesn't offer much opportunity. Has anyone just walked away from a good job because of the constant BS even though it will caused a downgrade in the way you live?
TEAM LESNAR

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
Re: Ever left a good job because of the BS
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:43:56 AM »
Well, it's called "working". Not supposed to be fun. ;)

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:31 AM »
If you make over 50 k a year stop complaining, however anyless and quit right now. Unions are gay and aren't worth the time. 

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »
yes

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 06:56:52 AM »
Do some looking around and see what's out there.  After that, I imagine your decision will be an easy one, one way or the other.

Fwiw, I haven't had a 'job' for almost 20 years.  I like being a contractor but there were times early on when it was a good thing I was on my own because I wouldn't have been able to support a family.  Still, you could consider if your skills are somehow marketable as a contractor/consultant.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »
Coming to a crossroads career wise. Actually I have been here a couple times before but have chose to stay where I am at due to security. I have a family so I have to keep them in mind. I am a manager for a phone company call center. It's a long story how I ended up there but anyways have worked there for over 6 years and been a manager for the last 3 1/2. But it's a call center full of messy ass people, mostly women. It is a Union environment so you have to walk on eggshells or your fighting grievance all the time. These people get paid really well for answering a phone and all they do is complain, try not to work and try to rat each other out. Then there are some that are just evil, filing anonymous EEO complaints, grievances and dirty shit like that to try and get you fired. I apparantly have caught the attention of one of these evil bitches because now I am a target. I am a good employee and all my appraisal's more than back that statement up. My results speak for themselves. But I'm just tired of this environment. I know if I leave it might be a while before I can make the salary I currently make. The area I live in doesn't offer much opportunity. Has anyone just walked away from a good job because of the constant BS even though it will caused a downgrade in the way you live?

We are in the worst economy since the great depression and you have a family to support.  So suck it up!  Unless you win the lottery or the equivalent (inherit big money, etc.) bite your lip, bend over, and take it like a bitch.  There is nothing you can do.  Once again you have a family to support.  A regular paycheck, health insurance, retirement contributions, perhaps even a pension... these are not things you can take for granted.  You are trapped.  Deal with it! :-[

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 07:15:20 AM »
We are in the worst economy since the great depression and you have a family to support.  So suck it up!  Unless you win the lottery or the equivalent (inherit big money, etc.) bite your lip, bend over, and take it like a bitch.  There is nothing you can do.  Once again you have a family to support.  A regular paycheck, health insurance, retirement contributions, perhaps even a pension... these are not things you can take for granted.  You are trapped.  Deal with it! :-[

:-\

you would know...wouldn't you?  i'll pass.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 07:30:09 AM »
Just become a IFBB pro dude
Anyone can do it

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »

There's no harm in educating himself about his options.  I suspect he'll end up agreeing that staying is the safe choice but he can't make an informed decision without knowing what's out there.

The other question, of course, is: What are you interested in?  If you could start again, what would you choose?  How would you prefer to spend your days?

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
yes

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
Working within Union guidelines as a supervisor can be tough. I've done it and what helped me tremendously is learning the rules by heart, and great documentation. I've taken over divisions with lazy slugs with the outgoing personnel telling me "It's impossible to fire anyone with the union". That translates into "I'm too lazy to document their performance and conduct in order to successfully change their behavior or terminate them, so good luck with my mess"
If they work for you, then if anyone has to be miserable at work, and the choice is you or that slug.. it should be that slug. Good paying jobs aren't that easy to find these days, hard working people who need a good job who can replace your slugs is a lot easier to find.

just my .02   

G.O.A.T.

• Getbig II
  • TEAM LESNAR
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 05:19:24 PM »
Working within Union guidelines as a supervisor can be tough. I've done it and what helped me tremendously is learning the rules by heart, and great documentation. I've taken over divisions with lazy slugs with the outgoing personnel telling me "It's impossible to fire anyone with the union". That translates into "I'm too lazy to document their performance and conduct in order to successfully change their behavior or terminate them, so good luck with my mess"
If they work for you, then if anyone has to be miserable at work, and the choice is you or that slug.. it should be that slug. Good paying jobs aren't that easy to find these days, hard working people who need a good job who can replace your slugs is a lot easier to find.

just my .02   
I hear ya, and yes, I document everything so when it comes grievance time, I haven't lost one yet. It just gets old dealing with a bunch of grown kids. But I hear ya, the economy is bad and it's not really smart to make drastic jumps right now. As for BAYGBM and bending over and taking it like a bitch, that's all you.
TEAM LESNAR

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »

just my .02   
Great advice !