Author Topic: Affliction VP speaks on Fedor  (Read 1369 times)

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Affliction VP speaks on Fedor
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:30:35 PM »
While it is still unknown when WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will return to action, one date can certainly be removed from consideration.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he has been assured by Emelianenko's management team that the Russian will not be appearing on New Year's Eve for DREAM -- or any organization.

"I've been told actually 100 percent that he is not fighting on New Year's Eve," Atencio said. "[The members of Emelianenko's management team] are our partners. We have extended his contract, and that's where we're at."

Emelianenko has fought on year-ending cards in Japan annually since 2003. A recent appearance by Emelianenko in Japan at DREAM.6 fueled speculation that the 32-year-old was looking to keep that tradition alive.

Atencio said the speculation was not based in fact.

"I spoke with [Emelianenko's managers] the other day, and they said he is not fighting," Atencio said. "So that's just rumors."

Atencio said all signs point to Emelianenko returning at Affliction's second show, "Day of Reckoning."

"It looks like it's on the next show, for sure," Atencio said.

An exact date and venue for "Day of Reckoning" has not yet been determined, but the event is expected to be held early in 2009. And while an opponent for the world's top heavyweight has not yet been determined, Atencio said one name can certainly be ruled out.

"It was supposed to be Josh Barnett, but they turned it down," Atencio said. "So we're working on something right now."

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: Affliction VP speaks on Fedor
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:40:38 AM »
While it is still unknown when WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will return to action, one date can certainly be removed from consideration.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he has been assured by Emelianenko's management team that the Russian will not be appearing on New Year's Eve for DREAM -- or any organization.

"I've been told actually 100 percent that he is not fighting on New Year's Eve," Atencio said. "[The members of Emelianenko's management team] are our partners. We have extended his contract, and that's where we're at."

Emelianenko has fought on year-ending cards in Japan annually since 2003. A recent appearance by Emelianenko in Japan at DREAM.6 fueled speculation that the 32-year-old was looking to keep that tradition alive.

Atencio said the speculation was not based in fact.

"I spoke with [Emelianenko's managers] the other day, and they said he is not fighting," Atencio said. "So that's just rumors."

Atencio said all signs point to Emelianenko returning at Affliction's second show, "Day of Reckoning."

"It looks like it's on the next show, for sure," Atencio said.

An exact date and venue for "Day of Reckoning" has not yet been determined, but the event is expected to be held early in 2009. And while an opponent for the world's top heavyweight has not yet been determined, Atencio said one name can certainly be ruled out.

"It was supposed to be Josh Barnett, but they turned it down," Atencio said. "So we're working on something right now."

WHOA!!!! who would have ever thought!?!?!? that would have been a great fight!

Dball

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:25:58 PM »
Which side turned it down?  source?

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 10:41:18 AM »
It was pretty apparent last night that they were hyping Fedor and Arlovski for an eventual fight, I think that's gonna be the Affliction 2 match up for Fedor. 
Predictions
 40/61