Author Topic: To pump or not to pump?  (Read 3565 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: To pump or not to pump?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »
I read an interesting viewpoint on this from a bodybuilding standpoint. A guy for years was always doing 8 to 10 reps with legs. He decided to try really high reps. If my memory serves me he started with four sets of something ridiculous like 40 or 50 reps in the leg press. He said his leg showed quick growth and vascularity.  He grew weary of the high reps and he went down to something like 20 reps. He kept his gains and improved even more. He explained it as he felt he built better blood pathways through getting a huge pump.

Since I train with low sets when I briefly tried feeder sets that was a long thread on the Gossip section. My arms really responded. Maybe the pump was was I needed.  Since I care about being strong instead of pumping light weight I soon dropped the pump sets. I really believe in the value of the pump. I now end my bicep routine with two sets of 20 reps and the arms really respond to it.

In the end from a bodybuilding standpoint the muscle grows best from both strength training and pump training. They go together.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 06:26:56 PM »
The body grows accustomed to a certain type of training so you change things up every so often.

Westside powerlifting method changes it up every workout.  You go for a max in a different exercise (even if only a slight change) every workout.

Louie Simmons says the body goes stale very quickly doing the same thing.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 06:35:15 PM »
I did lots of pumping for arms when i was young and still have good arms even though no arm day

I do one set per day , high calories are 95 percent of growth
A

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 03:58:13 AM »
I did lots of pumping for arms when i was young and still have good arms even though no arm day

I do one set per day , high calories are 95 percent of growth

Interesting, Marty.

I presume you mean your arms look good.

How big are your arms?

How much can you curl strictly with a barbell?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:14:41 AM »
Interesting, Marty.

I presume you mean your arms look good.

How big are your arms?

How much can you curl strictly with a barbell?
170 likely is my guess.
A

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »
The body grows accustomed to a certain type of training so you change things up every so often.

Westside powerlifting method changes it up every workout.  You go for a max in a different exercise (even if only a slight change) every workout.

Louie Simmons says the body goes stale very quickly doing the same thing.
I agree with Louie.  I never have the same workout twice.