Author Topic: Ann Compton on Obama: He Launches 'Profanity-Laced' Tirades Against Press - LOL!  (Read 1747 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Ann Compton on Obama: He Launches 'Profanity-Laced' Tirades Against Press

By Scott Whitlock | December 8, 2014 | 12:42 PM EST

 Share it    Tweet it 
More Sharing Services

 

shares

According to retired ABC News journalist Ann Compton, Barack Obama launches into "profanity-laced" tirades against the press in off-the-record meetings with reporters. In a C-SPAN interview, Compton also derided the President for leading "the most opaque" administration of "any I have covered."

The journalist, who retired in August after a 40-year career, revealed to C-SPAN's Brian Lamb: "I have seen in the last year Barack Obama really angry twice. Both were off-the-record times. One, profanity-laced where he thought the press was making too much of scandals that he did not think were scandals." [MP3 audio here.]

She explained, "And I don't find him apologetic. But I find him willing to stand up to the press and look them in the eye, even though it was off the record and just give us hell."

After Lamb wondered if the President had a point, she chided, "We cover what we are allowed to cover. And when policy decisions and presidents are inaccessible and don't take questions from the press on a regular basis, I think they reap what they sow."

Despite Obama's apparent rage against the press, he hasn't had much to complain about. The Media Research Center documented how journalists covered-up his failures and scandals.

Earlier in the hour-long C-SPAN interview, which aired on Sunday night, but was recorded in October, Compton slammed the "opaque" administration:

ANN COMPTON: Before I walked out the door on September 10, I was a strong voice for complaining that this particular administration has been more opaque than any I have covered about what the President does in the Oval Office everyday. He is far less accessible on photo-ops with meetings. Even some meetings on the record, meeting in the Roosevelt room with financial leaders from, from Wall Street or on issues with environmental groups, or with issues with environmental groups, with public opinion leaders, I think most presidents have been far more forthcoming than the second Obama term, in terms of what the President is doing every day and we almost never get photo-ops.

She added that it's fine for the White House to take its own photographs, but "those same elements should not be blocked from the White House press corps."

Interestingly, on Compton's last day in August, the President called on her for a final question. She chose to ask about the police shooting in Ferguson, not the concerns she expressed to C-SPAN.

(H/T to Heritage's Mike Gonzalez for first noticing Compton's comments and tweeting about them.)

A partial transcript of the October 30 segment is below:

C-SPAN

38:05 in:

ANN COMPTON: Before I walked out the door on September 10, I was a strong voice for complaining that this particular administration has been more opaque than any I have covered about what the President does in the Oval Office everyday. He is far less accessible on photo-ops with meetings. Even some meetings on the record, meeting in the Roosevelt room with financial leaders from, from Wall Street or on issues with environmental groups, or with issues with environmental groups, with public opinion leaders, I think most presidents have been far more forthcoming than the second Obama term, in terms of what the President is doing every day and we almost never get photo-ops.

I think I went through a time of three or four months where I was never in the Oval Office once on my pool day. Part of this may be that the President feels a little bit on the ropes. His job approval rating is down to 40 percent consistently for the last couple of years since his reelection. He also has his own tools. He is the first president with his own journalistic tools. They've all had photographers. He has his own videographers. He has a newscast on Friday mornings on WhiteHouse.gov. It is anchored by his former deputy, now press secretary, Josh Earnest. I think it is fine if the President of the United States wants to present his own version of what he did all week. Most of it is behind the scenes shots of him with Supreme Court justices and leaders coming in from Wall Street. It is fine that he puts it on the internet and that everybody can see it. Those same elements should not be blocked from the White House press corps.

54 minutes in

[Recounting her experiences dealing with presidents.]

COMPTON: Every president is a human being as well as a president. And I'm often asked for favorite moments. Saddam Hussein invades Kuwait. George Herbert Walker Bush goes to Camp David and convenes his war cabinet, comes back tot he White House. He stops in front of my camera and says, the Arab world is united against Saddam Hussein. I blurt out, "Mr. President, Arab leaders like King Hussein have flown to Baghdad and embraced him. President Bush barked at me and said, "I can read. What's your question?" The next day, before  before he sends American troops to the war, he writes me a letter, saying, he was not pleased with his answers to me. below his signature, GB, is initials, he drew a happy face wearing a frown. Imagine the president of the United States taking a moment in history like that to apologize to the press.

55:50

LAMB: So, off of that experience, how many other presidents were that aware of what they said to you and how many just did not pay attention at all and you had no personal reaction from them?

COMPTON: I think most presidents realize – had a personal connection. I don't think they ever -- we were ever in a confrontation-type moment where they felt the need to apologize. I have seen in the last year Barack Obama really angry twice. Both were off-the-record times. One, profanity-laced where he thought the press was making too much of scandals that he did not think were scandals. Another where he took us to task for not understanding the limits he has with foreign policy and the way he's dealing with the Middle East and Iraq, and Afghanistan. And I don't find him apologetic. But I find him willing to stand up to the press and look them in the eye, even though it was off the record and just give us hell.

LAMB: Does he have a point?

COMPTON: From his point of view, he may. But we cover what we are allowed to cover. And when policy decisions and presidents are inaccessible and don't take questions from the press on a regular basis, I think they get -- they reap what they sow.
- See more at: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2014/12/08/ann-compton-obama-he-has-profanity-laced-tirades-against-press#sthash.TYun1wrK.dpuf

AD FEEDBACK

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Not surprised.  That is one arrogant man.  How the heck can he complain about press coverage when the MSM coddles and protects him?? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Not surprised.  That is one arrogant man.  How the heck can he complain about press coverage when the MSM coddles and protects him?? 

Because he is a petulant child and entitled little cry baby

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Because he is a petulant child and entitled little cry baby

That's exactly how he acts.  Embarrassing. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That's exactly how he acts.  Embarrassing. 

Not to his cult of devotion like 240, andre, straw, etc

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

He really does have a cult-like following. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
He really does have a cult-like following. 

how long have I been telling you this?  Its a cult

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

Yes, the most devoted Obama fans want him impeached for being born outside of teh USA.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Yes, the most devoted Obama fans want him impeached for being born outside of teh USA.
LMFAO I remember when you were saying that is he was an illegal that hillary would have found out and exposed him during the primaries.

now you think he wasnt born in the US, whats changed dumb ass?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
LMFAO I remember when you were saying that is he was an illegal that hillary would have found out and exposed him during the primaries.

now you think he wasnt born in the US, whats changed dumb ass?

LOL... I was the 2nd getbigger to get on the "obama really was born in kenya, wasn't he?"

There was some anonymous name that kept posting it, remember?  I always thought it was beach bum lol.  ANyway, that account always posted it.  I bought into it first.  Finally 333386 came around.   Some spinless repubs still try the "I think it's worth looking at, but I"m not convinced..."

I was saying it's a legit concern that needs investigated back in 2010.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=322866.0

Sooooo um...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LOL... I was the 2nd getbigger to get on the "obama really was born in kenya, wasn't he?"

There was some anonymous name that kept posting it, remember?  I always thought it was beach bum lol.  ANyway, that account always posted it.  I bought into it first.  Finally 333386 came around.   Some spinless repubs still try the "I think it's worth looking at, but I"m not convinced..."

I was saying it's a legit concern that needs investigated back in 2010.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=322866.0

Sooooo um...
you also said you thought that if he was born outside the US that Hillary would have found out about it and exposed him....

so youre saying your stance has "evolved"?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
you also said you thought that if he was born outside the US that Hillary would have found out about it and exposed him....

so youre saying your stance has "evolved"?

WTF are you talking about?    Maybe hilary was playing along so she could wrestle her way into Sec of State, how should I know.

Point is, I've been a birther long before 99% of the "repubs" on getbig.  Some of these "repubs" still dont have the cawk or balls to admit they think he's born in keyna, even today, years after the fake ass birth certificate, made in photoshop.

So what year did YOU go birther, Tony?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
WTF are you talking about?    Maybe hilary was playing along so she could wrestle her way into Sec of State, how should I know.

Point is, I've been a birther long before 99% of the "repubs" on getbig.  Some of these "repubs" still dont have the cawk or balls to admit they think he's born in keyna, even today, years after the fake ass birth certificate, made in photoshop.

So what year did YOU go birther, Tony?
noooo, the point is that you were not a birther before you where a birther.....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
noooo, the point is that you were not a birther before you where a birther.....

But a shitbag lib like me has been a birther longer than you.    The point is, we all wake the fck up at some point.  To rag on someone because they were misguided clinton voters in 92, or misguided obama kneepadders in 2008... well, we are all on our own journey to wisdom.  To shit on someone who believes in something you do - who supports the same candidates because of who they USED to support.... seems like a very odd thing to do.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
But a shitbag lib like me has been a birther longer than you.    The point is, we all wake the fck up at some point.  To rag on someone because they were misguided clinton voters in 92, or misguided obama kneepadders in 2008... well, we are all on our own journey to wisdom.  To shit on someone who believes in something you do - who supports the same candidates because of who they USED to support.... seems like a very odd thing to do.
I am not a birther there boss....but you are a lying piece of shit who changes his position more than a street walking hooker....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I am not a birther there boss....but you are a lying piece of shit who changes his position more than a street walking hooker....

LOL WHAT?   You still believe obama was born in the USA?   Oh man, I'm shocked here.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I am not a birther there boss....

we gotta change that.   Michelle obama ADMITTED IT.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
LOL WHAT?   You still believe obama was born in the USA?   Oh man, I'm shocked here.
Im sure you are, probably about as shocked to learn you had previously held a completely different view point than the one you do now....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Im sure you are, probably about as shocked to learn you had previously held a completely different view point than the one you do now....

I used to believe in santa claus too.   Shit man, we all learn from our mistakes.  DOn't be a dick to people when they finally come around to your way of thinking.  ???  who does that?

(Although on the birther issue, I hope one day you come around to my way of thinking). 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I used to believe in santa claus too.   Shit man, we all learn from our mistakes.  DOn't be a dick to people when they finally come around to your way of thinking.  ???  who does that?

(Although on the birther issue, I hope one day you come around to my way of thinking). 
YOU DO THAT YOU DUMB FUCK!!!!

one of your big knocks on romney was that he had changed his positions...