Author Topic: Has PowerLifting Gone Down Hill  (Read 9946 times)

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
Re: Has PowerLifting Gone Down Hill
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2008, 01:26:45 PM »
bodybuilding... for when you don't have the balls to lift big weights.

Douchebag.

powerlifting....for when your fat, ugly, and proud of it

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »

If the analogous "sports" that you mention still required strength, form, technique, skill, hard training, discipline, and things like that, then SURE, there may be possibility for another division for those categories of competition. 

I am doubting that putting a motor on a row boat falls into that category, but using spring loaded shoes for high jumping might.  If that's the case, and if everyone in the competition is using them, then it might be an interesting sport to watch.   ;D

You lost the bloated mess on Analagous,

just so you know.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2008, 01:28:44 PM »
this guy powerlifts ... hahah he cant even believe the pic above him hahha
L

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2008, 01:31:31 PM »

If the analogous "sports" that you mention still required strength, form, technique, skill, hard training, discipline, and things like that, then SURE, there may be possibility for another division for those categories of competition.  

I am doubting that putting a motor on a row boat falls into that category, but using spring loaded shoes for high jumping might.  If that's the case, and if everyone in the competition is using them, then it might be an interesting sport to watch.   ;D

You just don't get it.  Certain sports such as sprinting, throwing, any type of jumping, swimming, powerlifting etc  are all asports that test the performace capability of the HUMAN BODY. So adding any type of mechanincal assistace to those sports totally defeats the purspose of the competition.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2008, 01:32:50 PM »
You just don't get it.  Certain sports such as sprinting, throwing, any type of jumping, swimming, powerlifting etc  are all sports that test the performace capability of the HUMAN BODY. So adding any type of mechanincal pharmaceutical assistance to those sports totally defeats the purspose of the competition.
Fixed.
BigNationRadio.com

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2008, 01:35:50 PM »
"ripitupbaby", could you post a video of you repping 135 with no shirt on at all? i would much rather see that

Too easy.   8)
:)

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »
Fixed.

Valid, but pharmacueticals simply increase the perfomance capabilities of the human body, they are not MECHANICAL assistance.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2008, 01:40:28 PM »
Thats very respectable.  Don't let anyone ever tell you it wasnt a good lift.  Just say "hey you know what, theres a regular division and a forklift division, it doesnt make my feat less impressive"  Youre the man!!! ;D
LOL. I have my chequebook at the ready. Please send me an application form posthaste.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2008, 01:41:31 PM »

I am doubting that putting a motor on a row boat falls into that category, but using spring loaded shoes for high jumping might.  If that's the case, and if everyone in the competition is using them, then it might be an interesting sport to watch.   ;D

OMFG, did you just say what I think you said? So rowing and high jumping don't take ALL of those listed? Seriously, you just showed your ignorance is more widespread than originally thought.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »
Valid, but pharmacueticals simply increase the perfomance capabilities of the human body, they are not MECHANICAL assistance.
And to clarify, your distinction is that artificially increasing the performance capabilities of the human body through pharmaceuticals is significantly different than artificially increasing the performance capabilities of the human body through a bench shirt?

I thought your point was to test the limits of the human body. Are animal hormones like Tren and Equipoise considered within the realm of human limitations?
BigNationRadio.com

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
fixed for the midget.

That's really all you got, isn't it. At least I've posted pics.

plus, isn't the troll you're defending like 4'3"?

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »
What a lot of people really hate are the guys who compete in bodybuilding shows who rely primarily on steroids to build their physiques and would look more like swimmers than bodybuilders without their gear. But it's okay, you're competing in the "drug" division. Post some pics of how you looked pre-juice so we can determine if it's more than a 25% improvement. My money says it's closer to 75%.

Either way, when it comes to benching, neither of you are doing it on your own.

Epic Hypocrisy.

Special Ed, Crusher of Hopes and Dreams

bwahahahahaha

Jason

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »
Another very important point.  FOLLOW THE MONEY! What I mean is Inzer, Titan etc are by far the biggest sponserer's of powerlifting currrently.  There is much $ to be lost by taking shirts out of the sport.  This is probably in reality the biggest issue that keeps the redicilious shirts in play.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »
OMFG, did you just say what I think you said? So rowing and high jumping don't take ALL of those listed? Seriously, you just showed your ignorance is more widespread than originally thought.

Re-read the posts and go look up the word "analogous."   ::)

What I said was that putting a motor on the boat doesn't take all of those things and therefore wasn't a very good analogy.

:)

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2008, 01:47:13 PM »
And to clarify, your distinction is that artificially increasing the performance capabilities of the human body through pharmaceuticals is significantly different than artificially increasing the performance capabilities of the human body through a bench shirt?

I thought your point was to test the limits of the human body. Are animal hormones like Tren and Equipoise considered within the realm of human limitations?

You have a valid argument, but it's really not as pertinent to this discussion as you think. A more valid perspective would be to say implants are to bodybuilding as bench shirts are to powerlifting, in which case, I'd agree with you.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »

Re-read the posts and go look up the word "analogous."   ::)

What I said was that putting a motor on the boat doesn't take all of those things and therefore wasn't a very good analogy.

I stopped at anal. There's too much G4P up in this bitch as it is.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »
You have a valid argument, but it's really not as pertinent to this discussion as you think. A more valid perspective would be to say implants are to bodybuilding as bench shirts are to powerlifting, in which case, I'd agree with you.

Exactly. 

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
Another very important point.  FOLLOW THE MONEY! What I mean is Inzer, Titan etc are by far the biggest sponserer's of powerlifting currrently.  There is much $ to be lost by taking shirts out of the sport.  This is probably in reality the biggest issue that keeps the redicilious shirts in play.

Holy shit, a valid argument!

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »
By your (and WBB's) arguments, Synthol would be a better analogy and more acceptable to you despite its ability to increase arm size by at least the same percentage of enhancement that a bench shirt would offer to a bench presser.

Just admit that a drug-free, raw bencher is the only guy really deserving of our respect and we can sign the settlement papers.
BigNationRadio.com

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »
By your (and WBB's) arguments, Synthol would be a better analogy and more acceptable to you despite its ability to increase arm size by at least the same percentage of enhancement that a bench shirt would offer to a bench presser.

Just admit that a drug-free, raw bencher is the only guy really deserving of our respect and we can sign the settlement papers.

Fax me the paperwork, I'm sick of arguing for today >:(

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »

But what about people who use protein powders and vitamin supplements? They may not be drugs but they increase performance. What do we do with them?

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »
 ;D

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »
Special Ed, Crusher of Hopes and Dreams

bwahahahahaha

Jason

assisted powerlifting- 'strength' thru technology.

i wonder how many of these amature 'powerlifters' who use compression suits would be able to stand in a squat rack raw, with say even 500 on the bar and do nice deep reps, conventional, not sumo without their knees buckling.

jpegg, dont even try for a minute to say you could, if it wasn't for the fact you use compression, your lifts would not be impressive, nor would you be able to hide behind the title of being a 'powerlifter' instead of just owning up to the fact you are weak without equipment, and look horrible.
b

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2008, 02:20:29 PM »
True, but what is the fucking point of the shirt?  

wearing shirts nad compression suits not only allows your body to support that kind of weight and protects it but also allows it to function more fluidly and efficiently..

or so i'm told... I lift raw. I was asked by a pro female lifter yesterday why I don't use shirts or suits. I have no problems with hte people that use them.. i just have more respect for a person benching 500 raw than one that uses a shirt to do it.

Again you have to have the physical strength to move the weight to begin with and support it. You then have to LEARN how to properly use the gear because it's not just something you put on and gain a s hitload of strength. It's a whole new TECHNICAL ball game..again..why I don't use that shit but it would be impossible to see the numbers put up today without the aid and protection of gear.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »
few good points...

and alot of uneducated ones.

I love this place!  ;D