Author Topic: Watch experts of getbig please chime in  (Read 25768 times)

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Watch experts of getbig please chime in
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »
Don't waste your money.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
The Seiko I have is a relic. It also no longer works and the watch repair guy I use told me not to bother having it fixed the last two times I took it in. Now this relic sits in a drawer. Rather than fix this kinetic watch, I'm thinking of replacing it with a solar powered watch.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
That's very true. I'm a big knife guy. I daily carry a knife I paid over 200 dollars for, but to most that would be an insane purchase for a tool that will get used and abused over time. Most people don't even carry a knife any more, but I always have that beat up zero tolerance on me.

Anyone got an opinion on the Tag Huer F1's?

Honestly buy the watch you like,as far as accuracy you will not beat a quartz,the mechanical purists will say quartz sucks but they do the job better than mechanical.If looking for a Rolex submariner and you have the money I say get it and wear it like you stole it as you only live once.If just looking for a watch you think looks good and want dead on accuracy then just grab a tag,Oris,etc... buy what you like.I started with tag watches and I think they look real good.Pateks are crazy expensive high end watches and I wouldn't want one cause I don't like the looks,so in the end just google some watches look on eBay and buy what you like,best advice I can give.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
Only negroes and wannabe rappers wear 45mm watches.  They look stupid.

Omega sea master comes in 45mm.
Panerais are 44mm.

Rolexes are too small imo at 39mm.

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »
You love submariner but wouldn't spen that money to wear it everyday?its a tool watch meant to be worn everyday,I wear mine sleeping,in the shower,lifting,working etc...With 450 budget you could find a nice used tag quartz and it would keep great time as it's a quartz.

Hit the nail on the head. OP wants a dead reliable watch. Automatic is out. May as well get a Casio.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
Best bet. Don't rush. Save a little longer and get a nicer watch.  Options will be better in the $1100-$1500 range.  I'm saving now for a full gold watch and band. Omega, Rolex. It maybe an IWC.  Would love the Daytona anniversary gold but don't have the scratch.  Not even sure why I want a good watch but I do.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »
We all know your average getbigger has a few dozen new and vintage swiss timepieces kicking around his collection at any one time. But said getbiggers would never daily wear such valuables especially in times like these with the dindus up in arms.

I'm looking for a clean simple watch, no more than $450 but dead reliable high quality and looks the business. I am a huge submariner fan, but would never spend that kind of money on something I intend to wear every day. Band must be metal, and no stupid bling bling stuff going on with it, just clean and classy look.

Any suggestions?
japanese domestic market-seiko/citizen

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
for $450 you can find Tags on the resale market.  Nixon is a decent cheap priced watch or Hamilton as stated above.  Check out these guys.  American watch makers and super cool designs.

check out this brand

http://www.xeric.com/

also some other American brands that are pretty nice and unique

http://www.thegoodtrade.com/features/american-made-watches
tags are for vinyl khunts

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »
Some good suggestions so far. I like the classic european styling, and divers especially. Digital watches are cheap gimmicks to me now, although when I was younger I loved G shocks and pro treks from Casio. I'm liking the TAGs and Omega's a lot. ESFitness makes a great point about the swiss watches though and that definitely coincides with my buying habits. Keep the options coming guys
tag and omega do not belong in the same sentence

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »
Omega sea master comes in 45mm.
Panerais are 44mm.

Rolexes are too small imo at 39mm.

Omega Planet ocean 45.5, 43.5 Seamaster 41mm, 43.5mm

Rolex Deepsea 44mm, Yacht-master 11 44mm,  Datejust 11 42mm, Explorer 11 42mm, Sub 40mm

Panerai 44mm, 48mm and likely other sizes.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2017, 03:30:21 AM »
Why buy the real thing if you are gonna buy a fake to wear cause you are afraid of damage?im worth no millions and I wear my Daytona or deep blue sea no matter what I'm doing,watches are made to be worn.If you aren't gonna use it then don't buy it.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2017, 03:35:44 AM »
I enjoy looking at watches but unless you have a ton of money you can piss away I never understood spending lots of money on several of them let alone one. I'd never go over 250 bucks and that's for a watch I'd only wear on special occasions.  otherwise I wear a 15 dollar plastic piece of shit. it tells the time no differently then any other watch, I never have to adjust it and it doesn't matter if it gets destroyed.  I won't fall for the needless bling trap again and for what? to impress some goof I don't give a fuck about? whatever

it's a status symbol  ::)

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2017, 05:15:35 AM »
it's a status symbol  ::)

Once again,some people like watches,I'm sure you like some things that other people don't?Why think people have to be showing off cause they happen to like expensive watches?I just don't get why anyone has to be that guy?i don't say people wearing fancy suits or driving bentleys are show offs.If I can afford it and I like it I buy it simple as that.Also I've never lost money on a Rolex as I am close with An AD and get great prices so when I want to change watches I sell for a profit and get the next piece.Its money in the bank while enjoying something I like.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »
Once again,some people like watches,I'm sure you like some things that other people don't?Why think people have to be showing off cause they happen to like expensive watches?I just don't get why anyone has to be that guy?i don't say people wearing fancy suits or driving bentleys are show offs.If I can afford it and I like it I buy it simple as that.Also I've never lost money on a Rolex as I am close with An AD and get great prices so when I want to change watches I sell for a profit and get the next piece.Its money in the bank while enjoying something I like.

defensive much?

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:00 AM »
defensive much?

Yes because most on this board have a problem with people liking nice things,It's a personal preference and can't stand people thinking Rolex or any luxury watch brand watch owners are show offs and they are stupid purchases blah blah blah.People have a right to like and collect things no matter what they are.My buddy has 3 Harley's and I think it's silly as he thinks my 3 rolexes are silly but we still respect each others collections.People who don't understand passion for things just like to throw around stupid comments such as status symbols,show offs,insecure etc...Same can be said for people who need to be ripped or big or whatever.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2017, 06:46:51 AM »
Time for our yearly watch thread...

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2017, 06:53:09 AM »
Yes because most on this board have a problem with people liking nice things,It's a personal preference and can't stand people thinking Rolex or any luxury watch brand watch owners are show offs and they are stupid purchases blah blah blah.People have a right to like and collect things no matter what they are.My buddy has 3 Harley's and I think it's silly as he thinks my 3 rolexes are silly but we still respect each others collections.People who don't understand passion for things just like to throw around stupid comments such as status symbols,show offs,insecure etc...Same can be said for people who need to be ripped or big or whatever.

True - we all have our likes & preferences.

I like cars / m/bikes / watches - I buy what i like & can afford & enjoy the satisfaction of owning them,
Just like everyone else when they purchase what they like.

Never understand why some much hate & jealousy on here at times.
Must be some very unhappy / sad people.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:10 AM »
If the real skorp1 was still on getbig he'd have posted a few wrist shots with his white black arm.

There are two kinds of watch people. 

1. Douches who buy a name brand to show off or try to impress someone.  Like these rich little bitches I see wearing a $25K gold Rolex.  Probably took it from their dads.
2. Those that appreciate the worksmanship and mechanics.

I'm in the second group.

10pints

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2017, 07:15:49 AM »
If you need to wear a certain watch to gain respect then you have other issues in your life that needs figuring out.

Funnily enough, need was not mentioned.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »
If the real skorp1 was still on getbig he'd have posted a few wrist shots with his white black arm.

There are two kinds of watch people. 

1. Douches who buy a name brand to show off or try to impress someone.  Like these rich little bitches I see wearing a $25K gold Rolex.  Probably took it from their dads.
2. Those that appreciate the worksmanship and mechanics.

I'm in the second group.
would you own a grand seiko?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
would you own a grand seiko?

Would I?  Yes, but it's not high on the list of what I want.  I've read about the mechanics they've employed and it's pretty impressive but I think they simply overpriced them to give it the same cachet as the low/mid range swiss watches.

I've been following a lot about the Swiss watch gray market and how it's exploded since the swiss watch makers are overproducing and the economy is just not that great for watches and how no one wants to pay what they want anymore.  Resellers are having to sell at cheaper prices but the watchmakers don't like it and are claiming they won't honor the warranty unless you buy from their "approved" sellers, yet the warehouses are unloading the watches at a discount.  Big issue with them.

To those that claim quartz are better at telling time.  Of course they are, but that's not why people buy mechanical watches.  Fuck, even while wearing a watch I use my phone to check the time.

If I can get the Seiko at a decent price I'll pick one up but I'm not really following them right now.

I was invited to a special watch maker event in December in Beverly Hills.  jaeger lecoultre had a special watchmaker event.  It was awesome seeing them assemble and also participate.  With my thick fingers and hands it was a little hard handling the small delicate wheels.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »
5k on a Rolex is a good deal, 450 on a seiko is a waste.
S

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
I just love watches.i have a sub 114060,Daytona 116520 and deep blue 116660.Im addicted to watches just could never wears digital.Its a Rolex love.

Ah, a man after my own heart, LOL.  

Love all my Rolexs.  Classy-Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506.  Flashy-116618 ROLEX 18K Yellow Gold BLUE SUBMARINER CERAMIC.

Daily-Yacht-Master Automatic Black Dial 18kt Everose Gold Black Rubber Strap
Daily-Explorer II Watch - Stainless Steel White Dial 216570 42MM
Daily-Vintage Rolex Submariner Date 16610 40mm Stainless Steel with NATO band

And then an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Master Chronometer Chronograph, which is one of my favorites also.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2017, 08:34:28 AM »
Ah, a man after my own heart, LOL.   

Love all my Rolexs.  Classy-Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506.  Flashy-116618 ROLEX 18K Yellow Gold BLUE SUBMARINER CERAMIC.

Daily-Yacht-Master Automatic Black Dial 18kt Everose Gold Black Rubber Strap
Daily-Explorer II Watch - Stainless Steel White Dial 216570 42MM
Daily-Vintage Rolex Submariner Date 16610 40mm Stainless Steel with NATO band

And then an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Master Chronometer Chronograph, which is one of my favorites also.

Did you buy them new or from resellers?  I'm starting to like Pawn shops and Jewelery stores that buy/sell.  They'll pay a guy $2000 or less for a Rolex then try to sell it for double but depending on how desperate they are they'll sell it to you cheap for a quick profit.

Elvis_McCartney

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
Did you buy them new or from resellers?  I'm starting to like Pawn shops and Jewelry stores that buy/sell.  They'll pay a guy $2000 or less for a Rolex then try to sell it for double but depending on how desperate they are they'll sell it to you cheap for a quick profit.

I buy them new, but not from an AD.  Take for instance the Gold 18K Submariner.  If you were to go into a Rolex dealer you would pay $34,900 plus tax.  So at least $37,500.  I buy the same exact thing from a reputable dealer for $26,500.  Don't even have to pay tax.  It's still brand new, still wrapped, with all books, tags, box and card.

They say that Rolex dealers can NEVER discount their inventory and that's true.  What they don't say is that when some Rolex dealers get in a bind they will sell some of their inventory to other buyers.  The only problem with that NOW is that Rolex won't honor your 5 year warranty unless it's filled out by an authorized Rolex dealer.

But I have never had to use a warranty for any of my purchases before this kicked in a couple of months ago.

Give you an example.  I had my Gold sub on top of a box coming in from the garage.  It slide off and slammed on the tile kitchen floor.  The bezel popped off and it wouldn't keep proper time and had a ding in the side of the case.

I took it to a certified Rolex jeweler for him to send it back to Switzerland.  He said if he sent it Rolex would VOID the warranty because they would consider it "ABUSE".  Which I verified they would have done.  Ended up getting him to fix it and buff out the ding as well.  Only took 2 days, opposed to 2 to 3 months.  So what good is the warranty for anyway these days?  I'm not even sure if it's transferable if you sell it to someone else now after the changes.

Side note. On one 2-tone Submariner that I bought brand new at a discounted price from the same dealer, I wore it a solid year and then sold it on Ebay and made a $1000 bucks, LOL.  Before I sold it, I had it puffed and made to look new.  So I sold it as a "like new" model.

In my opinion and in my case, I would NEVER buy a Rolex at a jewelry store again.  You can save thousands and thousands depending on what type you get.  Like you said, even pawn shows, if you can be sure they are genuine.  But the same goes with other dealers.  You need a good solid one that you can trust.