Author Topic: Ebola has come to America - CDC confirms first case.  (Read 40549 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Re: Ebola has come to America - CDC confirms first case.
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2014, 07:36:59 AM »
I cannot see that thing. 

But you just stick with your "it's not very contagious" viewpoint.  I'll roll with the medical professionals I've talked to.  I really am embarrassed for you.

Actual facts arent adding up.

So are you embarrassed for him for his willingness to see data as it is?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
House of Representatives

Lawmaker claims plans may be in pipeline to bring non-citizens to US for Ebola treatment

Published October 28, 2014
·FoxNews.com

Facebook
Twitter
livefyre
Email

Print

Now Playing
Rep. Goodlatte on plan to bring Ebola patients to US

Never autoplay videos

A top Republican congressman claims the Obama administration is exploring plans to bring non-U.S. citizens infected with Ebola to the United States for treatment.

Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, told Fox News that his office has received "information from within the administration" that these plans are being developed. So far, only American Ebola patients have been brought back to the U.S. for treatment from the disease epicenter in West Africa.

Goodlatte warned that expanding that policy could put the country at more risk.

"Members of the media, my office have received confidential communications saying that those plans are being developed," Goodlatte said Monday night.

"This is simply a matter of common sense that if you are concerned about this problem spreading -- and this is a deadly disease that we're even concerned about the great health care workers when they come back not spreading it -- we certainly shouldn't be bringing in the patients."

The chairman wrote a letter last week to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson and Secretary of State John Kerry asking whether such plans exist, but he says he has not gotten a response.

The details are sketchy, if such a plan even exists.

A Goodlatte aide told FoxNews.com that "someone in one of the agencies" contacted their office with the tip -- presumably, the plan would apply to non-U.S. residents. Who would pay for the transport and treatment is an open question.

In his letter last week, Goodlatte asked whether the administration is formulating such a plan, seeking details and communications among their employees.

The conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch also reported, shortly before Goodlatte sent the letter, that the administration is "actively formulating" plans to bring Ebola patients into the U.S., with the specific goal of treating them "within the first days of diagnosis."

Goodlatte earlier had pushed the president to consider using his authority to impose a temporary ban on non-U.S. citizen travel to the United States from the three African countries hardest-hit by Ebola.

"We think, again, that's just plain common sense, a practical way to stop this disease from spreading," he said.

The Obama administration has pushed back on those calls, saying the most effective approach is to stop Ebola at its source in West Africa.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
Nowhere in that link does it say rabies is treatable. It says that it is preventable if you begin treatment before you are infected. Once you are infected, the kill rate is practically 100%. The only survivors of actual infection listed in that link were people who had pre-exposure prophylaxis. Necrosis very clearly stated that he was talking about infection, not exposure.

Yes, it says it right here:  "In the United States, human fatalities associated with rabies occur in people who fail to seek medical assistance, usually because they were unaware of their exposure."

In other words, those who seek medical assistance do not suffer fatalities.  That is completely inconsistent with a 100 percent kill rate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
It doesnt contradict what I said you imbecile, vaccines (prophylaxsis) ie before infection have cured it in the developed world for the most part. He is not smarter then me if he is saying what you are saying. I don't care about your arguments from authority, you have made yourself look like an ass and are now doubling down on it. My statment stands.

He is much smarter than you.  He probably makes more money than you. Heck he is probably better looking than you.  (No homo.) But he's not saying the same thing as I am, because he's not stupid enough to compare Ebola to rabies, which makes him smarter than me too, you . . . Canadian.

You have to be bitten by a wild animal or rabid dog to get rabies.  There is no human-to human transmission of rabies in the U.S.  It is essentially 100 percent treatable.  What an asinine comparison. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #405 on: October 28, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »
Actual facts arent adding up.

So are you embarrassed for him for his willingness to see data as it is?

No.  I'm embarrassed he is doing what a number of liberals are doing by trying to downplay this thing for political purposes.  Hacks do that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #406 on: October 28, 2014, 11:28:26 AM »
Ebola Nurse Who Was Quarantined in NJ Now in Maine
ABC News ^  | 10/28/2014 | By ROBERT F. BUKATY

Posted on ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2014‎ ‎1‎:‎29‎:‎46‎ ‎PM by SeekAndFind

The nurse who was confined against her will at a New Jersey hospital after treating Ebola patients in West Africa is seeking time to decompress at an undisclosed location in Maine, her lawyer said Tuesday.

Kaci Hickox's partner, a nursing student, has opted to stay away from the University of Maine at Fort Kent to be with her, a university official said. His off-campus home showed no sign of activity Tuesday.

"At this point, he has made a decision he has decided to take a break from campus," said Ray Phinney, associate dean of student life and development. "We don't know exactly when to expect him back," he added.

There was disagreement Tuesday over Hickox's status.

The state of Maine said she agreed to be quarantined, but her lawyer insisted there's no quarantine.

Steve Hyman, one of Hickox's lawyers, said the state should follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines that require only monitoring, not quarantine, for health care workers who show no symptoms after treating Ebola patients.

He said he expected her to remain in seclusion for the "next day or so" while he works with Maine health officials.

There was no immediate clarification from the Maine Department of Health and Human Services or from the governor's office.

Hickox, who volunteered in Africa with Doctors Without Borders, was the first person forced into New Jersey's mandatory quarantine for people arriving at Newark Liberty from three West African countries.

She spent the weekend in a quarantine tent despite her objections over her treatment at Newark Liberty International Airport.

(Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #407 on: October 28, 2014, 11:45:56 AM »
He is much smarter than you.  He probably makes more money than you. Heck he is probably better looking than you.  (No homo.) But he's not saying the same thing as I am, because he's not stupid enough to compare Ebola to rabies, which makes him smarter than me too, you . . . Canadian.

You have to be bitten by a wild animal or rabid dog to get rabies.  There is no human-to human transmission of rabies in the U.S.  It is essentially 100 percent treatable.  What an asinine comparison. 

hehe, you are being owned in this thread like most, care to explain how prophylaxsis disproves it's near perfect fatality once the CNS is in fact infected?

Nothing wrong with my comparison, here we have a person with no knowledge of medicine or virology arguing with a doctor, who is the idiot again?

It's not treatable, it's preventable, condoms don't treat HIV ass hat. Regardless my comparison was to disprove the claim of it being the most deadly virus, it's not as I have proven. You have continued to post bullshit, then when called out act like you have an expert on your phone that you are conversing with, lol you are a joke.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #408 on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
hehe, you are being owned in this thread like most, care to explain how prophylaxsis disproves it's near perfect fatality once the CNS is in fact infected?

Nothing wrong with my comparison, here we have a person with no knowledge of medicine or virology arguing with a doctor, who is the idiot again?

It's not treatable, it's preventable, condoms don't treat HIV ass hat. Regardless my comparison was to disprove the claim of it being the most deadly virus, it's not as I have proven. You have continued to post bullshit, then when called out act like you have an expert on your phone that you are conversing with, lol you are a joke.

I'm not an expert on any of this stuff, Canadian.  But I do know it's a stupid comparison.   And I'm actually the idiot for even engaging you on something so stupid. 

The only thing you've proved is you will stop at no lengths to be a liberal lapdog. 

I don't have an expert on my phone.  I just talk to him periodically.  Talking to him is enlightening. Reading what you post is not.  Don't hate.  Appreciate. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »
Yes, it says it right here:  "In the United States, human fatalities associated with rabies occur in people who fail to seek medical assistance, usually because they were unaware of their exposure."

In other words, those who seek medical assistance do not suffer fatalities.  That is completely inconsistent with a 100 percent kill rate.

::)

lol, you didn't even know what prophylaxsis was and you are going to continue? you have quite the opinion of yourself, ever consider you don't know everything and are in fact, wrong?

People can receive treatment before (this is the key word you seem to miss) the infection takes hold, generally immnoglobulin and vaccine therapy, you have to catch it within 10-14 days before it can replicate in the dermatome, once it does, nothing stops it, hence RR's chart, it's fatal. it also kills way more people each year in the world. Again you want to focus on the US because it suits you, the world in 2010 for example had over 25k deaths from it. There is more nuance as well, the site of the bite dictates the speed of infection, how far the virus has to travel to obtain teh CNS.

There is no cure for HIV however, the same process exists for it.

Regardless, you are wrong on this as you are on Ebola.. par for the course with you.

So let's run down the facts again.

It;s not the most deadly virus, even HIV is more deadly.
It spreads poorly, not as poorly as rabies, not as well as malaria.
It's a zoonotic disease requiring a animal vector, only once infection starts can you be infected, animals can carry without problem, hence the higher spread rate.
It is treatable, particularly with first world medicine, what is the death rate 20% of those who have been treated in time?
An african country has eliminated it after having more cases then the US, the desity and conditions of the populations in Nigeria are prime for spread.

What is there to fear again?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #410 on: October 28, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
I'm not an expert on any of this stuff, Canadian.  But I do know it's a stupid comparison.   And I'm actually the idiot for even engaging you on something so stupid. 

The only thing you've proved is you will stop at no lengths to be a liberal lapdog. 

I don't have an expert on my phone.  I just talk to him periodically.  Talking to him is enlightening. Reading what you post is not.  Don't hate.  Appreciate. 

You have been owned in this thread, the link you posted was non-sense that didn't support you, in fact others pointed out it supported me as I stated. At first the rabies comparison was to show that Ebola is not the most deadly virus, which it's not, rabies is the most deadly, that's a well known fact in medical circles, ask your doctor friends you roll with.

Your attempt to troll now that you have had your ass handed to you is flattering. You think condoms are treatments if you think vaccines are treatments, simple. You are wrong and usually are. You are slightly melting now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #411 on: October 28, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
::)

lol, you didn't even know what prophylaxsis was and you are going to continue? you have quite the opinion of yourself, ever consider you don't know everything and are in fact, wrong?

People can receive treatment before (this is the key word you seem to miss) the infection takes hold, generally immnoglobulin and vaccine therapy, you have to catch it within 10-14 days before it can replicate in the dermatome, once it does, nothing stops it, hence RR's chart, it's fatal. it also kills way more people each year in the world. Again you want to focus on the US because it suits you, the world in 2010 for example had over 25k deaths from it. There is more nuance as well, the site of the bite dictates the speed of infection, how far the virus has to travel to obtain teh CNS.

There is no cure for HIV however, the same process exists for it.

Regardless, you are wrong on this as you are on Ebola.. par for the course with you.

So let's run down the facts again.

It;s not the most deadly virus, even HIV is more deadly.
It spreads poorly, not as poorly as rabies, not as well as malaria.
It's a zoonotic disease requiring a animal vector, only once infection starts can you be infected, animals can carry without problem, hence the higher spread rate.
It is treatable, particularly with first world medicine, what is the death rate 20% of those who have been treated in time?
An african country has eliminated it after having more cases then the US, the desity and conditions of the populations in Nigeria are prime for spread.

What is there to fear again?

Talk about projection.  Which one of us is constantly talking about how smart they are, they are always right, touting credentials, etc.?  That would be you.  People with enormous insecurities do that.  Get over yourself already.  You're not impressing anybody.  Me?  I'm just an average Joe and that's all I've ever said about myself. 

This is so silly.  I'm focusing on the U.S. because that's the issue:  transmission of a deadly virus in the U.S.  You are the one comparing it to a virus that requires you to be bitten by a wild animal or rabid dog, that kills essentially nobody in the U.S., and that is not transmitted from human-to-human, unlike Ebola. 

I am concerned about this, as is the medical community, as they should be. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #412 on: October 28, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »
You have been owned in this thread, the link you posted was non-sense that didn't support you, in fact others pointed out it supported me as I stated. At first the rabies comparison was to show that Ebola is not the most deadly virus, which it's not, rabies is the most deadly, that's a well known fact in medical circles, ask your doctor friends you roll with.

Your attempt to troll now that you have had your ass handed to you is flattering. You think condoms are treatments if you think vaccines are treatments, simple. You are wrong and usually are. You are slightly melting now.

I'm not going to ask my doctor friends about that dumb rabies comparison.  But I am rolling with what they say as opposed to an internet keyboard warrior. 

Troll?  lol  Do I need to find your quote where you admitted coming on this board to troll? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #413 on: October 28, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
Obama must have some type of immunity to rabies  - just saying.    :D  :D  :D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: October 28, 2014, 12:39:18 PM »
Talk about projection.  Which one of us is constantly talking about how smart they are, they are always right, touting credentials, etc.?  That would be you.  People with enormous insecurities do that.  Get over yourself already.  You're not impressing anybody.  Me?  I'm just an average Joe and that's all I've ever said about myself. 

This is so silly.  I'm focusing on the U.S. because that's the issue:  transmission of a deadly virus in the U.S.  You are the one comparing it to a virus that requires you to be bitten by a wild animal or rabid dog, that kills essentially nobody in the U.S., and that is not transmitted from human-to-human, unlike Ebola. 

I am concerned about this, as is the medical community, as they should be. 

HuH? No where did I bring up anything until you used your argument from authority. Not trying to impress anyone, just tearing you a new asshole.

Sorry what other super deadly virus would you like me to compare it to? HIV a retro virus that is not zoonotic? or another virus that is zoonotic? you realize the options are limited, that the point of my comparison was to simply show you that ebola is not the most deadly virus, which I failed to do as you are not swayed by facts.

Ebola shouldn't enter your mind on a day to day, there is no need for concern as we can clearly see. It's almost over now honey, you can get upset about something liberal soon enough.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: October 28, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »
HuH? No where did I bring up anything until you used your argument from authority. Not trying to impress anyone, just tearing you a new asshole.

Sorry what other super deadly virus would you like me to compare it to? HIV a retro virus that is not zoonotic? or another virus that is zoonotic? you realize the options are limited, that the point of my comparison was to simply show you that ebola is not the most deadly virus, which I failed to do as you are not swayed by facts.

Ebola shouldn't enter your mind on a day to day, there is no need for concern as we can clearly see. It's almost over now honey, you can get upset about something liberal soon enough.

lol.  You are a legend in your own mind. 

I'm not asking you to compare Ebola to anything.  That is something you came up with all on your own.  I could care less about comparisons. 

But thanks for your concern sweetheart.  You carry on with being a liberal lapdog.   :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #416 on: October 28, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
Necrosis will be bleeding his liver out his ass clutching a picture of Obama and still wont admit that more should have been done....
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #417 on: October 28, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »
Necrosis will be bleeding his liver out his ass clutching a picture of Obama and still wont admit that more should have been done....

But at least he'll have free healthcare. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #418 on: October 28, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »
I'm not going to ask my doctor friends about that dumb rabies comparison.  But I am rolling with what they say as opposed to an internet keyboard warrior. 

Troll?  lol  Do I need to find your quote where you admitted coming on this board to troll? 

Oh it's not dumb, it's as good a comparison as influenza is to ebola. again, you can't back up your shit so you claim to "roll with doctors". I blame this on your religiosity, you think facts are matters of opinion, that your truth is different from the actual truth. The facts in this thread shit all over you and any doctors you "roll" with.

Again the comparison was to show you that ebola is not most deadly, how is that not sinking into your head? if you want to compare other things about the viruses then have at it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #419 on: October 28, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »
Oh it's not dumb, it's as good a comparison as influenza is to ebola. again, you can't back up your shit so you claim to "roll with doctors". I blame this on your religiosity, you think facts are matters of opinion, that your truth is different from the actual truth. The facts in this thread shit all over you and any doctors you "roll" with.

Again the comparison was to show you that ebola is not most deadly, how is that not sinking into your head? if you want to compare other things about the viruses then have at it.

::)  Religion has about as much to do with this Ebola subject as that stupid rabies comparison. 

I never claimed Ebola was the "most deadly."  The only thing I've said is I'm concerned about it.  It's ok if you want to stick your head in the sand.  Or more accurately, keep your head up Obama's rear end.  And that is something I still don't understand, when you don't even live in the U.S. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #420 on: October 28, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
No.  I'm embarrassed he is doing what a number of liberals are doing by trying to downplay this thing for political purposes.  Hacks do that.

Where on earth did you get the idea that my politics plays any part in my attitude about how much to freak out about Ebola?

I couldn't care less what other progressives think about Ebola.  It's just common sense for lay-people to not be too worried about it, as I see it.

If it's so dangerous, then why have so few people in the USA caught it?  Not sure about that Vietnamese-American nurse, but the black guy and that white doctor were both infected and were pretty much traipsing around town and being social before being admitted for treatment and yet you can still count the number of infected in the USA on one hand and the number of folks here that have died on one finger.

I hear your argument about how some medical professional that you know personally and have a lot of respect for scared the shit out of you and so your mind is made up and that's fine.  I'm pretty sure, though, that if the Ebola thing fizzles out here in the USA (as I expect it will) you'll trust your lyin' eyes sooner or later.  

I don't expect that you'll admit that your fears were premature, though.  You'll just move on to some other issue that you think is worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #421 on: October 28, 2014, 04:27:45 PM »
Where on earth did you get the idea that my politics plays any part in my attitude about how much to freak out about Ebola?

I couldn't care less what other progressives think about Ebola.  It's just common sense for lay-people to not be too worried about it, as I see it.

If it's so dangerous, then why have so few people in the USA caught it?  Not sure about that Vietnamese-American nurse, but the black guy and that white doctor were both infected and were pretty much traipsing around town and being social before being admitted for treatment and yet you can still count the number of infected in the USA on one hand and the number of folks here that have died on one finger.

I hear your argument about how some medical professional that you know personally and have a lot of respect for scared the shit out of you and so your mind is made up and that's fine.  I'm pretty sure, though, that if the Ebola thing fizzles out here in the USA (as I expect it will) you'll trust your lyin' eyes sooner or later.  

I don't expect that you'll admit that your fears were premature, though.  You'll just move on to some other issue that you think is worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

I have seen a very consistent response to this:  conservatives attacking the president and liberals like you downplaying the threat.  It's not a coincidence.  Both sides have politicized it.  As for me, I'll listen to the medical professionals who are not partisan hacks on this.    

Nobody scared me,  ::) but I know you like to just make stuff up.  I'm concerned about it, as everyone should be.  Except for those carrying the president's water, who will do anything to deflect what they perceive as bad attention away from the man.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »
This does not say that rabies is treatable.

In other words, those who seek medical assistance do not suffer fatalities. 
...as long as they get a vaccine before they actually GET rabies.

That is completely inconsistent with a 100 percent kill rate.

Once again, he clearly and specifically posted  that there is an almost 100% kill rate following infection.
The quotes you are pulling clearly and specifically state they are referring to the time before infection.

There is absolutely no way you can honestly believe your position. Between the quotes you are pulling, the parts you are leaving out and the specificity of Necrosis' original post, there is no way you can't realize that exposure and infection are two different things and also realize exactly what that entails. The thing I'm curious about is how this type of debate became so prevalent on this board? You've always pulled that "I don't have time to read an article or process new information" thing, but pretending not to understand basic information is just weird. This is not the first time I"ve seen you do it. And you're not only person who does it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: October 29, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »
New York Ebola doctor 'LIED to police about his travel': They found out from his MetroCard
The Daily Mail ^  | October 29, 2014 | Chris Pleasance

Posted on ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2014‎ ‎8‎:‎01‎:‎31‎ ‎AM by Cincinatus' Wife

The doctor currently being treated for Ebola in New York lied to police about travelling around the city for six days before he was quarantined, it has been revealed.

Dr Craig Spencer initially told officers that he had isolated himself in his Harlem apartment after returning from Guinea where he had been treating people for the illness.

It was only when cops checked his MetroCard and bank statement that they realised he had been roaming the city for nearly a week, visiting a sandwich shop, taking an Uber cab, and going bowling.

It was only when officers rang Dr Spencer and confronted him with the evidence that he confessed, according to the New York Post.

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...