Author Topic: Is soreness an indication of a good training session?  (Read 7835 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Is soreness an indication of a good training session?
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
What do you think?

We almost always relate soreness with great workouts..whats the truth.. ???

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
Re: Is soreness an indication of a good training session?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
50/50

There is a good soreness like stiff muscle type feel and the whole ripped/torn muscle feeling lol also if your to sore it can slow your muscle building progress WAY down cant it?

I hate it if im not sore the next day but thats just me.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
What do you think?

My personal opinion?
I don't rely on DOMS as the gold measure of a good workout.
My first few sessions after a layoff will usually yield a great degree of post-workout soreness, but after that, it's hit & miss.

I've gone through plenty of workouts where I KNOW I trained hard, but am barely sore - if at all - 24-48 hours later.

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
In all the years I've been training I get sore every single workout. Now I tend to take alot of time off due to business restraints and life in general. But I will make continual progress until for whatever reason I stop. Not natural though, so that may have something to due with my consistent improvement while hitting the gym. I do believe there is some validity to believe that soreness is a good indicator of success in the gym.

I get sore from every type of training regardless of weight, rep range or duration. As long as it is intense I will have doms for several days. I am obsessive about training, progressive overload, strategic deconditioning. This as well as consistent nutrition insure my progress stays on tract. In fact, the thing that hinders my progress and training the most is injuries due to getting too strong for my tendon strength.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
What do you think?

It entirely depends upon how one has trained ,eg if you do something very different ie reps/poundages/sets/rest periods than your regular routine then your muscle is likely to feel the difference .Also the amount nutrition also undermines the duration of soreness.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
Yes it is...dont let anyonebtell u different....if your constantly pushing urself and changing up exercises,reps,weights along with changing the actually days you train(ex..idiots that always train chest on Monday etc)...if you do those things you will keep your workouts fresh and your.body guessing and you will be sore after nearly every workout...

Dont listen to the fools that say.after you train so long or get in a certain amount of shape you cant/dont get sore...i been liftin 20 years now and can still get just as sore as the 1ST TIME I LIFTED...It just takes more weight and a little more ingenuity.i have known pussy's that actually do all kinds of things to prevent themselves frome getting sore..what a bunch a slack jawed f@ggots u must be if u lift weights.yet doms bothers...i love being sore like all ur moms like there ass/pussy to be sore...no disrespect...long live getbig...stay negative...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:04:37 PM »
i wouldnt pay attention to it. focus on the mirror, measuring tape, and scale. anything else is subjective.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »
No, soreness is never a gauge of progress, either in improving muscle mass or strength. The same as a good pump is never an indicator of doing anything but increasing the blocked and pooling of blood in any one muscle area.

Your body is never guessing but adapting, which requires steady stress (more weight and/or more reps per workout). Always changing (to keep a workout "fresh") the exercises/sets/reps before really working them to their full potential, after so many weeks/months, can be cheating yourself out of improvement.

You want to push yourself, but not to the point of making recovery from any workout that much harder. The CNS is the key for progress on a workout to workout bases. Making any workout short and to the point, plus avoiding going to failure, is a most important element is successful training.

Working out and making steady progress is pretty simple stuff...really.  Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:23:58 PM »
No, soreness is never a gauge of progress, either in improving muscle mass or strength. The same as a good pump is never an indicator of doing anything but increasing the blocked and pooling of blood in any one muscle area.

Your body is never guessing but adapting, which requires steady stress (more weight and/or more reps per workout). Always changing (to keep a workout "fresh") the exercises/sets/reps before really working them to their full potential, after so many weeks/months, can be cheating yourself out of improvement.

You want to push yourself, but not to the point of making recovery from any workout that much harder. The CNS is the key for progress on a workout to workout bases. Making any workout short and to the point, plus avoiding going to failure, is a most important element is successful training.

Working out and making steady progress is pretty simple stuff...really.  Good Luck.
  8)

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »
I know a lot of times I train my heart out and I almost never get sore. Now, a lot of times my muscles will feel completely run down and worn out, sometimes as long as 24 hours after the workout, but I almost never get sore. A lot of times when I do a lot of sets with low rep ranges (3-5 reps), my muscles will get an achy feeling and my joints will be sore - espeacially when I wake up in the morning, but no true soreness in the muscles.  Personally I feel sorry for people who get sore after every workout. Who the fuck wants to be limping around all the time like a cripple? You should be able to enjoy your life outside the gym.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
My best bodypart -back -never sore

Worst bodypart - legs - always sore

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 08:18:32 AM »
As MM2K suggest, you want the muscles to feel worked, and maybe fried a little,but there is no need for a muscle to feel sore for days after a workout. That is a false positive, like a good pump during and after a training session is misleading. When you reach a state of better conditioning, soreness should never be a major concern.

If any one has lifted more than 20 years and still gets as sore as their first time lifting, something is wrong with their training methods, body chemistry or recovery abilities or a combo of the three. Good Luck.
F

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
Last few replies are shit. Do you people know anything about the physiology of the body? Damn! Yes you can grow with out getting sore. But at what rate? I want the fastest results possible not 5 lbs of muscle and 15lbs added to my lifts in the course of a year bullshit. Soreness is a very good indicator in general. PERIOD! IF YOU AREN'T GETTING SORE YOU'RE A COMPLACENT BITCH IN THE GYM.

Cliff Clavin

• Getbig II
  • It's a little known fact
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »
Last few replies are shit. Do you people know anything about the physiology of the body? Damn! Yes you can grow with out getting sore. But at what rate? I want the fastest results possible not 5 lbs of muscle and 15lbs added to my lifts in the course of a year bullshit. Soreness is a very good indicator in general. PERIOD! IF YOU AREN'T GETTING SORE YOU'RE A COMPLACENT BITCH IN THE GYM.

thank you...dudes are slack jawed fa@@ots...""oh oh if you still get sore like it's your first workout there's something wrong""haha..yea after 20 years of lifting it takes 420lbs on the bench press to get me sore like 120lbs did my first workout yet im doing something wrong...fuckin gumps i swear...

they are the same idiots that look the same year after year...the same one that when they see somene look better/lifting more they say oh i used to be bigger/stronger than you a few years back...oh brother...

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
I wouldn't use soreness as a gauge of a good or bad training session, it's just a by product of training. I don't think it should it be purposely sought out or purposely avoided.

Lift heavy shit, if youre sore stretch. If you're not, and are making continued progress who gives a shit.
If your still sore from your previous session and it affects your next one, plan an extra day off in between. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »
LOL didnt take long for this gimmick to come out of the closet...

many different ways to skin a cat bro...

I dont put to much emphasis on soreness

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
Gimmick my ass. Did you read my post? Read some bud... soreness is a very good indicator of positive reactions to training. Specifically DOMS. The ignorance displayed is insufferable.

What the the fuck is up with peoples reading comprehension? Did I say you can't make progress without getting sore? NO! Numerous S&C coaches and doctors concur that it signifies the bodies natural reaction to increased, new or greater stimuli... which will there in turn do what for us? Help us adapt. Grow. Get stronger. Faster, whatever. I didn't say you need to be sore but it does significantly represent adequate work on our end in the gym. Got it? People take a few notes?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »
Gimmick my ass. Did you read my post? Read some bud... soreness is a very good indicator of positive reactions to training. Specifically DOMS. The ignorance displayed is insufferable.

What the the fuck is up with peoples reading comprehension? Did I say you can't make progress without getting sore? NO! Numerous S&C coaches and doctors concur that it signifies the bodies natural reaction to increased, new or greater stimuli... which will there in turn do what for us? Help us adapt. Grow. Get stronger. Faster, whatever. I didn't say you need to be sore but it does significantly represent adequate work on our end in the gym. Got it? People take a few notes?
you seem to be under the impression that if you get sore you grow faster...

lets see a pic of this great physique built through always being sore lol

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »
Look though my post history I posted a pic several years ago... when I wasn't traing and was abroad still around two bills then... look I only have 78 posts easy find. Where's yours?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
Look though my post history I posted a pic several years ago... when I wasn't traing and was abroad still around two bills then... look I only have 78 posts easy find. Where's yours?
ive posted many pics search around, only 16k posts shouldnt take you to long lol

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »
didnt see any pics in your post history there bro

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »
Here a little help my post # 56 re: meh back. 3rd page on my post history. Click on the link. I am not searching through your 16k post for that.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
not to bad

bout a year ago
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=295241.0

so what proof do you have that being sore after a workout nets better progress?

mrgut

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »
 You look good then. I remember when that was posted. Much progress from when that was taken?

I have had the opportunities to help train many different individuals internationally and supervise their diet, training and record progress. NOTE: I did not create their programs merely supervised them tweaking what I thought was necessary etc... Through notes Ive kept and the results that manifested in them, and my own personal experiance I have seen people who workout to the point of being sore or having doms make greater progress then clients that don't get sore. Again I supervised their nutrition and training the only thing, the only variable I didn't supervise was rest and their personal activities.

Or you can even do a simple google search, read the articles. As I said before it is a sign your body has been taken to new places and must adapt to cope. DOMS is a sign of unusal or high level of stimulus. If the nutrition and proper recovery measures are taken the greater the body's ability, the more adaptative measures your body must take to adapt.  This theory has been applied to many aspects of athletic training as well as bodybuilding. The consensus is the same almost across the board.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 06:49:26 AM »
You look good then. I remember when that was posted. Much progress from when that was taken?

I have had the opportunities to help train many different individuals internationally and supervise their diet, training and record progress. NOTE: I did not create their programs merely supervised them tweaking what I thought was necessary etc... Through notes Ive kept and the results that manifested in them, and my own personal experiance I have seen people who workout to the point of being sore or having doms make greater progress then clients that don't get sore. Again I supervised their nutrition and training the only thing, the only variable I didn't supervise was rest and their personal activities.

Or you can even do a simple google search, read the articles. As I said before it is a sign your body has been taken to new places and must adapt to cope. DOMS is a sign of unusal or high level of stimulus. If the nutrition and proper recovery measures are taken the greater the body's ability, the more adaptative measures your body must take to adapt.  This theory has been applied to many aspects of athletic training as well as bodybuilding. The consensus is the same almost across the board.
yea but not to much, maybe a little leaner at about the same weight, like you life makes it hard to dedicate the necessary time week in and week out.

Im not disagreeing that doms is a sign of your body adapting...my point and the point of others in this thread is just b/c you dont get doms doesnt mean youre not making the same progress...

so you have your personal journals and experience for proof then?

and you were criticizing others reading abilities?