Author Topic: NFL - Washington Redskins - time to change the name  (Read 48755 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
NFL - Washington Redskins - time to change the name
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
I don't have a problem being pc, within reason, but Congress needs to shut the heck up and stay out of this. 

Congress calls for Redskins change
May 28, 2013
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Ten members of Congress are urging the Washington Redskins to change their name because it is offensive to many Native Americans.

The representatives said Tuesday that they've sent letters to Redskins owner Dan Snyder, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Redskins sponsor FedEx, and the other 31 NFL franchises.

The letter to Snyder says that "Native Americans throughout the country consider the 'R-word' a racial, derogatory slur akin to the 'N-word' among African Americans or the 'W-word' among Latinos."

Among the group sending the letters are the leaders of the Congressional Native American Caucus, Tom Cole, R-Okla., and Betty McCollum, D-Minn.

The nickname is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group seeking to have the team lose its trademark protection.

Snyder has vowed that he will never change the name.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9319267/members-congress-urge-washington-redskins-change-name

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Congress calls for Redskins change
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
 ::)

Isnt there actual Importnat stuff for these congressmen to be doing?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
Are you fucking serious? Im Native American and I couldn't give a flying fuck. Granted, I look white as the day is long... but seriously? Fucking seriously?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »
Are you fucking serious? Im Native American and I couldn't give a flying fuck. Granted, I look white as the day is long... but seriously? Fucking seriously?

Political correctness strikes again.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:06:42 PM »
This has just got to be whorish pandering at its most ridiculous level.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:19:26 PM »

www.usdebtclock.orgy

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
.orgy?  Lol

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
the worst part is its pandering to libtard left on behalf of people who probably dont even give a shit for the most part

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »
the worst part is its pandering to libtard left on behalf of people who probably dont even give a shit for the most part

And in all likely hood some native Americans who are Redskin fans too. Lol

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 06:53:53 PM »
::)

Isnt there actual Importnat stuff for these congressmen to be doing?

I guess that got every other single problem/issue done already

btw - what's with this Republican congress trying to interfere with a private business

I thought they were all about free enterprise and getting government out of our lives and somehow they have the time (and think it's their place) to get involved in this nonsense?

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 08:05:59 AM »
I guess that got every other single problem/issue done already

btw - what's with this Republican congress trying to interfere with a private business

I thought they were all about free enterprise and getting government out of our lives and somehow they have the time (and think it's their place) to get involved in this nonsense?

You should know by now that 99.9% of the time the stupid party that supports these types of measure is the Democratic party.

Of the 10 representatives only 1 is a Republican.

Who are these 10 individuals?

Eni F.H. Faleomavaega (D-American Samoa), Tom Cole (R-Okla.), Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), Raul M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Michael M. Honda (D-Calif.), Donna M. Christensen (D-Virgin Islands), Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-District of Columbia).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207158/article/redskins-name-change-congressmen-urge-dan-snyder

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
You should know by now that 99.9% of the time the stupid party that supports these types of measure is the Democratic party.

Of the 10 representatives only 1 is a Republican.

Who are these 10 individuals?

Eni F.H. Faleomavaega (D-American Samoa), Tom Cole (R-Okla.), Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), Raul M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Michael M. Honda (D-Calif.), Donna M. Christensen (D-Virgin Islands), Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) and Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-District of Columbia).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207158/article/redskins-name-change-congressmen-urge-dan-snyder

The Stupid Party by their own admission are Republicans and more than half of the people listed are members of the Congressional Native American Caucus so I guess they have some legitimate reason to send this letter (I still think it's a bit silly but then so are the 40+ different votes to repeal Obamacare)

http://www.ciclt.net/sn/pol/poc_detail.aspx?P_ID=&ClientCode=masc&LegComID=19279

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
I call for Congress to actually start representing the will of the people and stop wasting time and money on all these unimportant issues. 

If the name offends you then don't support the team.

Straw:  If you insist on calling Republicans "the stupid party" then from now on the Democrats are "the queer party".   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
I call for Congress to actually start representing the will of the people and stop wasting time and money on all these unimportant issues. 

If the name offends you then don't support the team.

Straw:  If you insist on calling Republicans "the stupid party" then from now on the Democrats are "the queer party".   

I did not call Republicans the stupid party

Republican's called themselves the stupid party

Dems have not called themselves the queer party

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:38:04 PM »
I did not call Republicans the stupid party

Republican's called themselves the stupid party

Dems have not called themselves the queer party

I only know of one Republican doing that.  You know of more?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

I only know of one Republican doing that.  You know of more?

do I need more ?

I didn't coin that phrase

A Republican leader with national aspirations called his party as the Stupid Party

BTW - I wonder why no Repubs on this board haven't yet posted Bob Doles recent comments about the Stupid Party (by that of course I mean the Republican Party)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »
do I need more ?

I didn't coin that phrase

A Republican leader with national aspirations called his party as the Stupid Party

BTW - I wonder why no Repubs on this board haven't yet posted Bob Doles recent comments about the Stupid Party (by that of course I mean the Republican Party)

Guess not, I don't know.

Boehner's probably crying from hearing it anyway.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 06:18:13 AM »
The Stupid Party by their own admission are Republicans and more than half of the people listed are members of the Congressional Native American Caucus so I guess they have some legitimate reason to send this letter (I still think it's a bit silly but then so are the 40+ different votes to repeal Obamacare)

http://www.ciclt.net/sn/pol/poc_detail.aspx?P_ID=&ClientCode=masc&LegComID=19279

Your previous post made it look as if Republicans were overwhelmingly supporting this idea. It was obvious what stance you took.

After you are shown that it was only 1 Republican and 9 other dumb Democrats you are trying to deflect from your blunder. HEHEHHEHE!! Then again. Not much can be expected from any liberal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »
NFL Commissioner on Redskins: 'If One Person Is Offended, We Have to Listen'
by Breitbart Sports 12 Sep 2013

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell softened his stance on the Redskins name on Wednesday when he said that the NFL had to listen to concerns about the team's nickname even if only one person is concerned about it.

In an interview on 106.7 The Fan in Washington, Goodell, who grew up in the region as a Baltimore Colts and then Redskins fan, said, "I think what we have to do though is we have to listen."

“If one person is offended, we have to listen," he said.

Goodell's remarks come after Sports Illustrated's Peter King's website decided to refer to the team as the Washington football team. Earlier in the year, in response to 10 members of Congress who wrote him demanding action, Goodell defended the name. Redskins owner Dan Snyder has said he will "NEVER" change the team name and does not intend to sell the franchise.

"Ultimately it is Dan’s decision,” Goodell said of a possible name change. “But it’s something that I want all of us to go out and make sure we’re listening to our fans, listening to people of a different view, and making sure that we continue to do what’s right to make sure that team represents the strong tradition and history that it has for so many years."

ProFootballTalk believes Goodell's softer stance on the issue leaves "the door open for action if/when the opposition to the name reaches national critical mass. He senses that the day is coming; the only question is whether it happens before or after he retires from the job he already has held for seven years."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/09/12/Goodell-Redskins

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
goodell has been pissing me off with all the rule change bull shit, I like the way he punishes the players but Im done with him...he needs to go.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
more leftist garbage

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 07:40:07 AM »
After all the leftwing bullshit that these assbags spew...maybe a national "conversation" on the redskins name is ok. Maybe the rank and file blue collar football fan will see the libs for what they are...traitorus anti American pansies....These people are'nt football fans, they're San Fransisco bathhouse dwelling soccer fans. If the team were the Washington Transgender unicon queens, that would be just find with them. Every day these people strip away a little of America.
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »
After all the leftwing bullshit that these assbags spew...maybe a national "conversation" on the redskins name is ok. Maybe the rank and file blue collar football fan will see the libs for what they are...traitorus anti American pansies....These people are'nt football fans, they're San Fransisco bathhouse dwelling soccer fans. If the team were the Washington Transgender unicon queens, that would be just find with them. Every day these people strip away a little of America.
Truth.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:58 AM »
NFL Commissioner on Redskins: 'If One Person Is Offended, We Have to Listen'
by Breitbart Sports 12 Sep 2013

In an interview on 106.7 The Fan in Washington, Goodell, who grew up in the region as a Baltimore Colts and then Redskins fan, said, "I think what we have to do though is we have to listen."

“If one person is offended, we have to listen," he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/09/12/Goodell-Redskins

This is the problem with his whole thought process. Why should they change their name just because a very small group of people don't like it? Why should this issue be blown out of proportion just because a few people feel offended? They are probably not even football fans.

Soon the NFL and the media will distort this situation in such a way that they will put pressure on the Redskins to change their name.

The libtard philosophy is pathetic.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
Then they also need to change the designation on the Apache and Chinook helos, and rename the Tomahawk cruise missile to something more important.