Author Topic: Best guitar solo to end a song  (Read 24440 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Best guitar solo to end a song
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:01:09 AM »
Has to be Paradise City. I love the ending of that song, whatever scale Slash is doing(I think that's what it's called) is pretty sick.  Any of you guys able to pull that off?

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
Re: Best guitar solo to end a song
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:03:21 AM »
pantera floods.

fast forward to 6:15

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:28:47 AM »
Comfortably Numb... Not even anything close.
$

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:33:28 AM »
Comfortably Numb... Not even anything close.

man has his soul in his fingers
T

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:17 AM »
"pink" floyd
gay as shit

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:37:08 AM »

Double talking jive by Guns n Roses.

delon

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:01:55 AM »
Sway -  The Rolling Stones

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 04:08:30 AM »
Wasted Years by Iron Maiden...
 ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 04:13:30 AM »
Has to be Paradise City. I love the ending of that song, whatever scale Slash is doing(I think that's what it's called) is pretty sick.  Any of you guys able to pull that off?

conspiracy theorist believes that's not slash at the end of Paradise City.

At that point in his playing career, everything is based in the minor pent scale... suddenly he whips out an insane CC DeVille run, overdubbed, immediately followed with his standard simple-based leads again? WTF key is that run in?  Aeolian into Mixolydian with a phrygian twist near the end just for extra tastiness?  LOL

Sorry, I love slash, he's my favorite guitarist every BY A MILE... I have 3 slash channels on Pandora, listen to him on the way to every show... I know lyrics to freakin' Snakepit songs lol....

BUT I truly believe an expert technical player like CC or Vinnie Moore or someone unknown was brought in to overdub that lead at the end of Paradise City.   Doesn't even sound like his Les Paul, the wah tone is off, the overall part just doesn't sit or fit with anyhing he was playing back in 1986, and I've never seen him match that live in any of the early shows.  They smelled a single and just decided to let another player add that blazing run when they heard the epic-needed slash ouotro was just a series of blues runs.  They needed to be epic there.   

(And, if he was that capable back in 1986, why did he never play that kind of insane run in any of the OTHER GN'R songs where it may have actually fit?  Sweet Child of Mine would have blazed with an odd emotional run, but voila, he stays compeltely in the box on that song too, even on the big run before the solo switches rhythem patterns halfway too with the cool climax.)

It's a cool run, but I might lean toward Estranged outro solo as one of his best.  Nov Rain of course, that outro is Epic Epic, but overplayed thanks to radio.  

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 04:31:05 AM »
 :)

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 04:51:30 AM »

At that point in his playing career, everything is based in the minor pent scale... suddenly he whips out an insane CC DeVille run, overdubbed, immediately followed with his standard simple-based leads again? WTF key is that run in?  Aeolian into Mixolydian with a phrygian twist near the end just for extra tastiness?  LOL

Sorry, I love slash, he's my favorite guitarist every BY A MILE... I have 3 slash channels on Pandora, listen to him on the way to every show... I know lyrics to freakin' Snakepit songs lol....

BUT I truly believe an expert technical player like CC or Vinnie Moore or someone unknown was brought in to overdub that lead at the end of Paradise City.   Doesn't even sound like his Les Paul, the wah tone is off, the overall part just doesn't sit or fit with anyhing he was playing back in 1986, and I've never seen him match that live in any of the early shows.  They smelled a single and just decided to let another player add that blazing run when they heard the epic-needed slash ouotro was just a series of blues runs.  They needed to be epic there.   

(And, if he was that capable back in 1986, why did he never play that kind of insane run in any of the OTHER GN'R songs where it may have actually fit?  Sweet Child of Mine would have blazed with an odd emotional run, but voila, he stays compeltely in the box on that song too, even on the big run before the solo switches rhythem patterns halfway too with the cool climax.)

It's a cool run, but I might lean toward Estranged outro solo as one of his best.  Nov Rain of course, that outro is Epic Epic, but overplayed thanks to radio.  

meltdown

he was playing the solo live at the time chuckles
T

Qwert II

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 05:02:10 AM »
The outro solo is Mixolydian & it was played by Steve Lukather, as was the intro to Sweet Child O mine.

Slash tried to, but couldn't play those well enough, so they secretly asked Steve to do those.

Heard this direct from a semi inebriated Steve at a NAMM after party in 2001 & have no need to doubt him.

Just compare Slash's playing on the entire album & then to the outro solo. The outro is a HUGE step better in chops than anything Slash did or could do, technically at that point.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 05:30:35 AM »
Sister Seagull -  Be Bop Deluxe, The outro, basically the whole song is guitar magic by Bill Nelson. One of the most underrated guitarists/ bands of all time.

R.A.M.

• Getbig IV
  • BOOM!! Take a Look at this hunk of Man.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 06:01:20 AM »
pantera floods.

fast forward to 6:15

man i totally agree.... that guitar work is haunting, full of emotion and soul...

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 06:03:37 AM »

CC Deville is an expert technical player? You sure about that one?

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »
This isn't too bad  :D

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that one.

Back in the day it was rumored that his crappy solos were played by a studio musician and they were still crappy.

re: the original q -

Freebird, Sultans of Swing and Hotel California have great outro solos if you're talking classic rock, specifically.

Mr. Crowley and Tonight by Randy Rhoads have great outro solos if you're talking classic metal.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
Agree with Yngi-we - he knows his stuff. Knopfler kicks ass.

Btw, I really like the solo of "sweet child o mine" - fantastic.
Great solos are also Dimebag's on "Cemetary Gates", Gerry Ging's on "Ghosts Of War" and Hanneman's on "In Praise Of Death".
If you're into cheese metal than Accept's guitarist also provided some nice stuff.

And last but not least, Judas Priests' guitar tandem has probably created the most awesome array of guitar solos ever - larger than life sonic ecstasy.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 07:28:18 AM »
Agree with Yngi-we - he knows his stuff.

Btw, I really like the solo of "sweet child o mine" - fantastic.
Great solos are also Dimebag's on Cemetary Gates, Gerry Ging's on Ghosts Of War and Hanneman's on In Praise Of Death.
If you're into cheese metal than Accept's guitarist also has nice stuff.
Last but not least, Judas Priests' guitar tandem is probably created the most awesome array of guitar solos/licks ever - even better than Elvis  :D

Wolf Hoffman has a great feel and sense of melody. Always liked his playing and I'm a big Accept fan.

I love Priests' solos. In particular some of their earlier 70's material. eg Dreamer Deceiver, Beyond the Realms of Death. Other great solos are Electric Eye, both solos to Rock Hard Ride Free and of course, Painkiller. Too many to name though, and technically, not outro solos.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 07:46:41 AM »
Katy Perry, ROAR  or Taylor Swift's Shake it off.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 07:48:30 AM »

man has his soul in his fingers

I also give Floyd best sax too... For Dogs of War. One of the most underrated songs of all time.
$

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
The outro solo is Mixolydian & it was played by Steve Lukather, as was the intro to Sweet Child O mine.

Slash tried to, but couldn't play those well enough, so they secretly asked Steve to do those.

Heard this direct from a semi inebriated Steve at a NAMM after party in 2001 & have no need to doubt him.

Just compare Slash's playing on the entire album & then to the outro solo. The outro is a HUGE step better in chops than anything Slash did or could do, technically at that point.

Woah!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 08:25:16 AM »

Eh, Warrant brought him in to play the Cherry Pie solo, I think.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 08:26:42 AM »
Wolf Hoffman has a great feel and sense of melody. Always liked his playing and I'm a big Accept fan.

I love Priests' solos. In particular some of their earlier 70's material. eg Dreamer Deceiver, Beyond the Realms of Death. Other great solos are Electric Eye, both solos to Rock Hard Ride Free and of course, Painkiller. Too many to name though, and technically, not outro solos.
PRIEST,,,always liked desert plains ,diamond and rust'live 'version,screaming for vegenance whole cd is great...