Author Topic: Scot Mendelson, can't bench to chest below 600lbs  (Read 10196 times)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Scot Mendelson, can't bench to chest below 600lbs
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 05:16:26 AM »
A blind item back in the day was that Mendelson had gotten so big that he needed to travel with a small emphysema sized oxygen bottle during longer walking trips. Guys swore it was true.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 05:22:09 AM »
The bench press is the most over rated lift to prove you are strong. All the crazy things they have come up with to make the lift easier is just beyond comprehension. First they practice that crazy arch to shorten the range of motion as they inhale to blow up their chest further. Keeping elbows in tight to improve leverage. Taking as wide a grip as possible to further shorten the range of motion. Then wearing a bench shirt that wouldn't allow you bench 225lbs because it's impossible to bring the bar down.

Does anyone think that getting your shoulders and pecs so inflexible and tight that only a heavy weight can force the bar to your chest will be beneficial in any athletic endeavor?

Olympic lifting has it all over this nonsense. No wonder power lifting can't get into the olympics. Off topic but Olympic lifting should be called power lifting and power lifting should be called strength lifting when done raw.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 05:22:19 AM »
Unless a medical professional said this, I say BS.

He may have some tightness in his chest but c'mon , that won't hold up 550 lbs LOL.
ANYONE who ever used a modern bench shirt knows this.

In my experience, I had to have at least 225 lbs on the bar before he could go all the way down to my chest.
It felt odd and I thought it made lifting a joke, so I returned it to INZER .

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 06:05:14 AM »
Olympic lifting has it all over this nonsense. No wonder power lifting can't get into the olympics.

I'm guessing that the reason the IOC don't want powerlifting in the Olympics is more down to the drug issue than anything else.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 06:17:36 AM »
I'm guessing that the reason the IOC don't want powerlifting in the Olympics is more down to the drug issue than anything else.

Yeah, you won't see Powerlifting because of the drugs, and the time it takes to stage the events. The time it takes has always been a quiet gripe among Olympic officials. If it ever got in, I don't doubt that it would be a two lift event, probably a push - pull type thing.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 06:32:08 AM »
these dudes owns Scott any day of the week forever!!

RAHMAN Siamand

48kgs Yakubu Adesokan >>>> Scott "lardass/shite" Mendelson

I was blown away by this.  Never seen that before.  Can't imagine benching that kind of weight without using leg drive.  Wonder if these guys are nattys?  I'm sure they are tested. Thanks for posting.  I'm guessing there is no squat or deadlift ;D

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
I was blown away by this.  Never seen that before.  Can't imagine benching that kind of weight without using leg drive.  Wonder if these guys are nattys?  I'm sure they are tested. Thanks for posting.  I'm guessing there is no squat or deadlift ;D

Here's another paralympic athlete-not in a wheelchair this time.

Doesn't even strap himself to the bench this time. But, after he unracks the weight,shuffles his atrophied legs up the bench ,to create some sort of arch .Does he use the arch to drive the weight up?

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
Get rid of all the phony crutches....shirts, drugs, all of it....That will show who the best really are.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
hes not wearing a bench shirt for the first part of the video  ::)

he also tore his pec to shit last year benching without a shirt

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
new contest prep guru in town

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
hes not wearing a bench shirt for the first part of the video  ::)

he also tore his pec to shit last year benching without a shirt

Quite the dent he has there - maybe it improves his isometric power level.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
Quite the dent he has there - maybe it improves his isometric power level.

At the 2:46 mark you can see the tear happen. Brutal.

Aftermath looked pretty bad too

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
In the USPF 198 lb class I did :
Bench ( pause, no bench shirt)  365 lbs
Squat - no suit or wraps - 505 lbs
deadlift - belt only - 515 lbs

solid total!  i'm getting there.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
Massive tits on "Chanel Rene" in this video, raw no condom no pulling out BMC-style.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »

RAHMAN Siamand

lifting that much weight with no stability from your legs is just insane.

in the 2nd video, the dude weighs like 115 pounds and benched almost 400 pounds like it was nothing.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »

RAHMAN Siamand

and yet you have this blob of shit (below) talking all kinds of crap (in other videos), saying how he is the strongest, yet some guy who does not even use legs can bench more than him

X

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »
A blind item back in the day was that Mendelson had gotten so big that he needed to travel with a small emphysema sized oxygen bottle during longer walking trips. Guys swore it was true.

I've actually heard that same story as well.

It's almost as if everything in his existence is geared toward bench pressing, the effects it has on other parts of his life be damned.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »
mendelson looks healthy  :-X

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 08:55:44 PM »
should make v neck bench shirts. Do it in style!
?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 06:31:08 AM »
should make v neck bench shirts. Do it in style!

Would show the epic cleavage from the man boobs they sport.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 08:52:39 AM »
Not a fan of modern Powerlifting.
I love the 60's, 70's, early 80's stuff.

Bridges
Reinhoudt
Pacifico
Anello
Seno
Arcidi
Bill West - Culver City Westside gang
Pat Casey
Doug Young

etc...

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
MacDonald was the man... (Singlet and T-shirt only, flat back on bench).

Shortly after finishing his basic training, he was sent for a year to Vietnam, and he says he passed the long nights in the bush by dreaming that one day he would follow the lead of Ronnie Ray and create world records in the bench press when his life returned to normal. Happily, it wasn’t too long in coming, and he spent his final year in the service stationed in Minneapolis, where he had good training facilities and such workout partners as Ken Patera, the giant American Olympic lifter and all-around strongman.

Under these conditions his bench press and his bodyweight both shot up, and within a year he had brought his bench up from a post-Vietnam 230 to an official 480, weighing 215. The next year he entered the Junior National Powerlifting Championships (open to anyone who has won neither the Seniors or the Juniors) and not only made a new bench press record with 539, but also squatted 655, and deadlifted 640 to total 1,835 and win the Best Lifter trophy. These lifts demonstrate what Mike can do in the squat and deadlift if he trains on them, which he rarely does, preferring instead to specialize in the bench.

In 1973, he trained down to the light-heavyweight class again and set an American record (world records not yet being official) of 487.75. Following the 484.75, he made a 470 official world record (which I described earlier) at the 1973 World Championships, a record which still stands as this is being written. The following year Mike went up to the middle-heavyweight (198.75 pound) class, and at the state meet in Minnesota he shattered the world bench press record twice by lifting 535 and 540 back to back, yet these two great lifts were never official because there were no high-ranking cardholders present to “pass” the lifts.

Mike then moved up into the newly formed 220.5-pound class and broke his friendly archrival Larry Pacifico’s world record in the bench my making 555. 75. Later that year he and Larry met head to head in he 1974 World Championships in York, Pennsylvania, and when the chalk dust settled, Larry had driven Mike to another world record in the 220’s, this time with 573.25, which as of June 1977 was still the record. The 573.25 is not, however, Mike’s best official effort in this class because early in 1975 he hoisted 585 in a contest in North Dakota only to lose the lift as a world record because of the aforementioned problem of cardholders.

In 1975, Mike made a judgmental error by driving 1,300 miles almost straight through on the day of the National Championships. He was so fatigued that he did far less than his best and was outbenched by the powerful Pacifico. Stung by the defeat, Mike dropped again into the 198.75-pound class and added another bodyweight class to his list of world records with a bench of 523.5. Pacifico, however, had ideas of his own about records, and he upped the mark to 529.5 and then published a challenge to Mike saying in effect, “You won in 1974, I won in 1975, so let’s have it out for the title in 1976 in the 198-pound class at the National Championships.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »
MacDonald was the man... (Singlet and T-shirt only, flat back on bench).

Shortly after finishing his basic training, he was sent for a year to Vietnam, and he says he passed the long nights in the bush by dreaming that one day he would follow the lead of Ronnie Ray and create world records in the bench press when his life returned to normal. Happily, it wasn’t too long in coming, and he spent his final year in the service stationed in Minneapolis, where he had good training facilities and such workout partners as Ken Patera, the giant American Olympic lifter and all-around strongman.

Under these conditions his bench press and his bodyweight both shot up, and within a year he had brought his bench up from a post-Vietnam 230 to an official 480, weighing 215. The next year he entered the Junior National Powerlifting Championships (open to anyone who has won neither the Seniors or the Juniors) and not only made a new bench press record with 539, but also squatted 655, and deadlifted 640 to total 1,835 and win the Best Lifter trophy. These lifts demonstrate what Mike can do in the squat and deadlift if he trains on them, which he rarely does, preferring instead to specialize in the bench.

In 1973, he trained down to the light-heavyweight class again and set an American record (world records not yet being official) of 487.75. Following the 484.75, he made a 470 official world record (which I described earlier) at the 1973 World Championships, a record which still stands as this is being written. The following year Mike went up to the middle-heavyweight (198.75 pound) class, and at the state meet in Minnesota he shattered the world bench press record twice by lifting 535 and 540 back to back, yet these two great lifts were never official because there were no high-ranking cardholders present to “pass” the lifts.

Mike then moved up into the newly formed 220.5-pound class and broke his friendly archrival Larry Pacifico’s world record in the bench my making 555. 75. Later that year he and Larry met head to head in he 1974 World Championships in York, Pennsylvania, and when the chalk dust settled, Larry had driven Mike to another world record in the 220’s, this time with 573.25, which as of June 1977 was still the record. The 573.25 is not, however, Mike’s best official effort in this class because early in 1975 he hoisted 585 in a contest in North Dakota only to lose the lift as a world record because of the aforementioned problem of cardholders.

In 1975, Mike made a judgmental error by driving 1,300 miles almost straight through on the day of the National Championships. He was so fatigued that he did far less than his best and was outbenched by the powerful Pacifico. Stung by the defeat, Mike dropped again into the 198.75-pound class and added another bodyweight class to his list of world records with a bench of 523.5. Pacifico, however, had ideas of his own about records, and he upped the mark to 529.5 and then published a challenge to Mike saying in effect, “You won in 1974, I won in 1975, so let’s have it out for the title in 1976 in the 198-pound class at the National Championships.

its not physically possible to have your feet on the ground, your shoulders on the pad, your butt on the pad, and your back flat on the pad as well.  so of course this guy has an arch in his lower back when he benches.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »
I don't get this either.  You should have to lay down on the bench, take the weight off the rack and rep it all the way down to your chest, then re rack it all with no assistance.  And this "bench shirt" stuff is ridiculous. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
I don't get this either.  You should have to lay down on the bench, take the weight off the rack and rep it all the way down to your chest, then re rack it all with no assistance.  And this "bench shirt" stuff is ridiculous. 

I have no problem with equipped lifting.  it's not "cheating".  its not like you can just throw a bench shirt on and immediately bench 150 lbs more.  you have to learn how to use it and it takes a long time to master it.  the top equipped lifters are still incredibly strong guys and 99% of them still have awesome raw totals as well. 

people just have to recognize it as a completely different sport than raw powerlifting.