Author Topic: My 2 cents on Gay rights protests and pride parades, etc  (Read 4485 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: My 2 cents on Gay rights protests and pride parades, etc
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2017, 12:16:14 PM »
Do you believe if you saw this in person, you'd act on your impulse?

Gaycation a documentary series on Viceland provides a world view on LGBT issues. It's interesting to learn how gay folks act and survive in other places, such as Russia and the deep south. They also filmed in Tampa after the gay nightclub massacre. Anyone who thinks violence and hate crimes against gay folks no longer are an issue should watch this documentary show.

Clip from the Brazil episode

Gays and lesbians always find a way to survive in any place in any time.  For centuries gays had monasteries and lesbians had convents.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »
Gays and lesbians always find a way to survive in any place in any time.  For centuries gays had monasteries and lesbians had convents.

As a group, you are right. Individually, not so much. Think Mathew Shepard, for example.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
As a group, you are right. Individually, not so much. Think Mathew Shepard, for example.

The Shepard murder looks to be another sickening case of the media creating its own reality (maybe because they figure it "sounds" so much better than the truth, IDK).  Those guys were known to be friends and fellow meth addicts, fellow wannabe dealers, who'd shared some history.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
The Shepard murder looks to be another sickening case of the media creating its own reality (maybe because they figure it "sounds" so much better than the truth, IDK).  Those guys were known to be friends and fellow meth addicts, fellow wannabe dealers, who'd shared some history.

You are a pile of shit.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:08 PM »
^ I'm just as sorry he's dead, and that someone (anyone) wrongly met such an end.  Aren't you?

The act of his death can't be made any more "wrong" by making stuff up.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
Do you believe if you saw this in person, you'd act on your impulse?

Gaycation a documentary series on Viceland provides a world view on LGBT issues. It's interesting to learn how gay folks act and survive in other places, such as Russia and the deep south. They also filmed in Tampa after the gay nightclub massacre. Anyone who thinks violence and hate crimes against gay folks no longer are an issue should watch this documentary show.

Clip from the Brazil episode

Absolutely NOT!

Just because I might be annoyed or disgusted by someone's protest does NOT give the right to physically attack them.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2017, 07:43:14 AM »
Howard,

Honest question.  Are you a closet homophob?

Only when I watch my wife being ass-fuked while hiding  in the closet  :D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
Only when I watch my wife being ass-fuked while hiding  in the closet  :D

Oh, okay.  I knew you southerner, Georgia men are rarely racist or homophobic, but I just had to ask and make sure.   :D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »

Since you neglected to provide a source for this theory, I looked for one. This is what I found:

"Stephen Jimenez, who has spent 13 years interviewing more than 100 people with a connection to the case. His conclusion, outlined in The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths about the Murder of Matthew Shepard, is that the grotesque murder was not a hate crime, but could instead be blamed on crystal meth, a drug that was flooding Denver and the surrounding area at the time of Matthew’s death. This new theory has, understandably, caused a lot of anger."

Whether it is true or not, cannot be proved. It is a possibility though. There is usually more to a story than we know. One part I found interesting was where a retired office Waters said, "Some of the officers I worked with had caught him (Henderson) in a sexual act with another man, so it didn’t fit – none of that made any sense.” Does anyone believe every G4P person is gay? Many if not most prostitutes go with whoever will pay the price and do whatever the client wants.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
Since you neglected to provide a source for this theory, I looked for one. This is what I found:

"Stephen Jimenez, who has spent 13 years interviewing more than 100 people with a connection to the case. His conclusion, outlined in The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths about the Murder of Matthew Shepard, is that the grotesque murder was not a hate crime, but could instead be blamed on crystal meth, a drug that was flooding Denver and the surrounding area at the time of Matthew’s death. This new theory has, understandably, caused a lot of anger."

Whether it is true or not, cannot be proved. It is a possibility though. There is usually more to a story than we know. One part I found interesting was where a retired office Waters said, "Some of the officers I worked with had caught him (Henderson) in a sexual act with another man, so it didn’t fit – none of that made any sense.” Does anyone believe every G4P person is gay? Many if not most prostitutes go with whoever will pay the price and do whatever the client wants.

Yes, the guy was well-involved in the "gay world" and was known to act as a prostitute for males.  It was his life.

That's a problem for his claim of being "repulsed" and "freaked out" by a proposition he says Matthew made.  IMO, he was coached to say what he did... probably because it was seen as a much stronger position to take than the "deranged drug-addict in a meth rage" angle.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 03:47:24 PM »
^ btw, just noticed the author of that book is said to be gay.  So anyone looking to find a hit-piece needs to go elsewhere.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2017, 07:37:29 AM »
Oh, okay.  I knew you southerner, Georgia men are rarely racist or homophobic, but I just had to ask and make sure.   :D

For me, the bottom line on this pride issue ( pun intended) is pretty simple.

1. I think that any adult has a right to enjoy whatever sex they desire with any other consenting adult.
2. Same sex couples deserve the same legal rights for marriage as traditional couples.
3. No gay person or couple should be mistreated , or physically abused just for being different.
BUT:

In my observation, the typical Pride parade or demonstration does NOT help me understand their lifestyle.
In fact , all that in "your face crap" makes me cringe.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
Yes, the guy was well-involved in the "gay world" and was known to act as a prostitute for males.  It was his life.

That's a problem for his claim of being "repulsed" and "freaked out" by a proposition he says Matthew made.  IMO, he was coached to say what he did... probably because it was seen as a much stronger position to take than the "deranged drug-addict in a meth rage" angle.

Undoubtedly, his defense lawyer(s) coached him to say he'd been propositioned. Sadly, all people hear is that gay Mathew propositioned him. Like Mathew was a threat -- give me a break! What's wrong with just telling puny Matt that he was not interested? Regardless of the killers reasons for committing such a horrendous crime, nothing makes it less evil and wrong.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2017, 06:58:11 PM »
Undoubtedly, his defense lawyer(s) coached him to say he'd been propositioned. Sadly, all people hear is that gay Mathew propositioned him. Like Mathew was a threat -- give me a break! What's wrong with just telling puny Matt that he was not interested? Regardless of the killers reasons for committing such a horrendous crime, nothing makes it less evil and wrong.

This myth that gay people are actively ogling and preying on straight people is absurd.  I've been going to gyms for over 25 years now including the spandex era and I've never been stared at "funny" or propositioned in
any way.  It's like when you do an insurance job on your "stolen" car and tell the police you say two colored guys driving away in it.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
I agree and even most of my gay friends thinks these demonstrations and parades make them look bad. Truth is, they're not "harassed" or discriminated against anymore than anyone else and if they are (anyone) it's usually because they brought it on themselves.

I agree that some of those protests border ok the ridiculous, and the communities they (allegedly) represent would probably be better served better if they weren't happening.

But I think it's beyond silly to claim that people aren't being discriminated against and that if they are they brought it on themselves. That kind of "reasoning" is dangerously close to the reasoning of those who think that women's choice of dress is to blame for rape.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »
I agree and even most of my gay friends thinks these demonstrations and parades make them look bad. Truth is, they're not "harassed" or discriminated against anymore than anyone else and if they are (anyone) it's usually because they brought it on themselves.

You actually have gay friends? I am amazed. Do these gay friends also agree with you about gay harassment and discrimination?

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2017, 02:35:09 AM »
a

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2017, 05:06:43 AM »
I agree that some of those protests border ok the ridiculous, and the communities they (allegedly) represent would probably be better served better if they weren't happening.

But I think it's beyond silly to claim that people aren't being discriminated against and that if they are they brought it on themselves. That kind of "reasoning" is dangerously close to the reasoning of those who think that women's choice of dress is to blame for rape.

Good points! In my view, they should simply protest in a more dignified fashion and focus on the discrimination aspects.
Imagine having gay couples , dressed in fairly normal clothes, protesting with all the focus on some actual event or harmful action .
I'd support that .