Author Topic: Prep starts today - I've reached my off-season limit  (Read 29894 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Prep starts today - I've reached my off-season limit
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2020, 07:16:14 PM »
No midlife crisis. Let’s just call it unfinished business from my past.

It can't be a midlife crisis. He's 57. Unless he lives to 114.  It's an old age crisis. 

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »
I think coach should be like lee priest and take his weight up to 280 off season

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »
Cripes. I'm no (political) Coach fan, but this is playing with dynamite on a short fuse. This is not funny. Joe, you are truly red-lining every health indice I can think of. Best wishes for the contest/and a return to health. You've got so much more to do.

I appreciate it and I’m making changes.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2020, 08:11:54 PM »
I think coach should be like lee priest and take his weight up to 280 off season

That was insane. When I saw Lee last year he was probably close to 250 and he’s an inch shorter than me. He told me his prep even at that weight was only 12 weeks with two hours of cardio per day.

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2020, 08:36:45 PM »
No midlife crisis. Let’s just call it unfinished business from my past.
I hope stroke doesn't have unfinished business with you!
It really doesn't worth putting your cardiovascular system under such pressure.
Also I really don't think all that weight gain was in the right place.
You had amazing lines in your teens, now you don't have much taper, being that heavy with thick obliques zeroes all that gains.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
You know...this thread seems pretty critical of Coach, but I appreciate that it comes from a space of genuine concern for his health.

Coach, you know that I've always been a supporter of yours, but I just think you have nothing to prove.  I think you mentioned above being lean at 190-200, but if you were lean at 170-lb, you would be more muscular than 99% of men at any age!  If you are comfortable at 200-lb and relatively lean, then all the power to you.  Some men can be heavier and be more comfortable at that weight.  I have decided that for myself, being 175-lb and relatively lean [compared to the general public - not by competitive bodybuilding standards] is more than sufficient.  I can be pretty strong [for me] at that weight, be competitive nationally in my weight class in strongman, and overall, feel pretty good.

You obviously have a better capacity for gaining muscle than I do though.  For example, even at 185-lb, my weight starts going straight to my stomach.  So I absolutely can't be a big man - especially naturally.  I suspect I could be 200-lb with a smaller stomach if I had some assistance, but I feel 175-lb for me is the weight that maximizes strength, fitness, and overall just feeling good.

Like I said, you are going to be more muscular than 99% of men even if you weigh substantially less.  It's also pretty apparent to me that you are going to be a fit muscular man for basically your entire life.  And again - you have absolutely nothing to prove.

I hope none of this comes across as jealous.  It goes without saying that you have a better physique than I ever do.  And I am impressed with your results over 50, or for any age really!  You and tommywishbone are both inspirations to me.  No hate here!

Let's not forget that you've already spent years as one of the leanest and most muscular men around.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2020, 09:33:24 PM »
I hope stroke doesn't have unfinished business with you!
It really doesn't worth putting your cardiovascular system under such pressure.
Also I really don't think all that weight gain was in the right place.
You had amazing lines in your teens, now you don't have much taper, being that heavy with thick obliques zeroes all that gains.

I see what you’re saying but damn, you’re trying to compare me now to almost 37 years ago. When I started dieting for the Cal last May my beginning weight at prep was 213 and weighed in on the Friday before the show at about 193-4. When I stepped on stage after loading I was 202. Night show I was 207. I actually grew into my prep nicely.

I was going to do the Nationals (Masters) after the Cal in July but felt I needed more size with better conditioning to compete at that level. I took the year off to prepare for this coming July (Nationals). It’s been almost 71/2 months of training, eating and generally staying on task (yes, including Doctors check ups) and staying focused. The last time my BF was measured I was 238 at 12.8%. Since I posted this I’ve dropped 6lbs. BP was a bit elevated but it’s under control now.

The hiccups were caused because my digestive system was screwed up from all the food and constipated. Obviously at my age my digestive system can’t handle that much food. By the time another meal time came around, my previous meal wasn’t digested yet (for info on my diet see the “what did you eat yesterday” thread. My diet (before last week) was about 80/20 clean to dirty.

Cardiovascular systems checks out with the scans I had a few months ago with no blockage whatsoever. BP is taken 2-3x per day

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2020, 10:07:19 PM »
I see what you’re saying but damn, you’re trying to compare me now to almost 37 years ago. When I started dieting for the Cal last May my beginning weight at prep was 213 and weighed in on the Friday before the show at about 193-4. When I stepped on stage after loading I was 202. Night show I was 207. I actually grew into my prep nicely.

I was going to do the Nationals (Masters) after the Cal in July but felt I needed more size with better conditioning to compete at that level. I took the year off to prepare for this coming July (Nationals). It’s been almost 71/2 months of training, eating and generally staying on task (yes, including Doctors check ups) and staying focused. The last time my BF was measured I was 238 at 12.8%. Since I posted this I’ve dropped 6lbs. BP was a bit elevated but it’s under control now.

The hiccups were caused because my digestive system was screwed up from all the food and constipated. Obviously at my age my digestive system can’t handle that much food. By the time another meal time came around, my previous meal wasn’t digested yet (for info on my diet see the “what did you eat yesterday” thread. My diet (before last week) was about 80/20 clean to dirty.

Cardiovascular systems checks out with the scans I had a few months ago with no blockage whatsoever. BP is taken 2-3x per day

Are you targeting a specific weight class?  Or just letting the chips fall where they may?  238 @ 12% tells me that you could be in shape at heavyweight. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2020, 10:15:22 PM »
Are you targeting a specific weight class?  Or just letting the chips fall where they may?  238 @ 12% tells me that you could be in shape at heavyweight. 

Not worried about weight classes. Wherever I’m shredded at. But at this point I don’t see myself in the Light  Hvys but if I had to guess 205-10 at weigh ins

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2020, 10:26:34 PM »
I completely understand and know in the back of my mind I'm too old to be this big and got carried away with knowing after the Cal I needed to put on size for the Nationals in July and then If I win whatever comes after that. Never been this big before while staying relatively lean. Like I said, I'll drop to about 235 before I start actual prep. Next year I think I'm done and will come down and stay around 190-200.

Stay at whatever weight you feel comfortable at.
I’m a year older than you, same height & carry a lean (no not contest ready) 230-235lbs
I’d like a few more lean pounds - Only maintaining is hard enough !!
I’m considering doubling my dosage & seeing if I can gain that bit more.
Fortunately I have no high BP or need of other Meds.
Wish you well in your prep - 💪🏻  👍🏻

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2020, 10:44:22 PM »
I’m a year older than you, same height & carry a lean (no not contest ready) 230-235lbs

Thank you. It’s funny I was actually thinking of you when I posted on my IG tonight. It’s a pic myself and Kamal competing at the 2007 Excalibur In LA.

Side note before I get called out. Illuminati knows Kamal El Gargni

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2020, 11:22:50 PM »

You guys are really insane, almost 60 and still trying to do all this lol

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
Not worried about weight classes. Wherever I’m shredded at. But at this point I don’t see myself in the Light  Hvys but if I had to guess 205-10 at weigh ins

Eryk dialing you in? How is he as a coach?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2020, 11:35:37 PM »
Eryk dialing you in? How is he as a coach?

Eryk is a great prep coach. Dialed me in for the Cal

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »
You guys are really insane, almost 60 and still trying to do all this lol

Why would you say that ? You don’t know how little or much I use.
my sanity or insanity is not in question.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2020, 11:50:24 PM »
Thank you. It’s funny I was actually thinking of you when I posted on my IG tonight. It’s a pic myself and Kamal competing at the 2007 Excalibur In LA.

Side note before I get called out. Illuminati knows Kamal El Gargni

Ha - How did you both place at that comp ?
On the subject of Kamal he is likey moving to America soon.
He’s been very busy with Guest appearances - he’s kept his weight to around 225/30.
What is your IG ? PM if you like.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2020, 12:10:12 AM »
Ha - How did you both place at that comp ?
On the subject of Kamal he is likey moving to America soon.
He’s been very busy with Guest appearances - he’s kept his weight to around 225/30.
What is your IG ? PM if you like.

Kamal won our class and I missed the top five by a point. Yeah, I follow him. I absolutely love his positivity. Even though I wanted Lundsford to win I was just as happy when Kamal won

@joe_marino62

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2020, 01:51:43 AM »
Why would you say that ? You don’t know how little or much I use.
my sanity or insanity is not in question.

You are almost 60, 5’6 235 pounds and saying you are thinking about doubling your dosage just so you can gain a “few” extra lean pounds. Does that sound logical, smart??

What’s wrong with being 200? Or 190? Even 175? Just enjoy life? Why keep chasing at your age?

I get it, it’s bbing......

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2020, 02:28:57 AM »
You are almost 60, 5’6 235 pounds and saying you are thinking about doubling your dosage just so you can gain a “few” extra lean pounds. Does that sound logical, smart??

What’s wrong with being 200? Or 190? Even 175? Just enjoy life? Why keep chasing at your age?

yes, why not just sit on the sofa watching TV,,, why waste his life...

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2020, 03:27:02 AM »

Incredible as it may sound, some people enjoy life by setting goals and striving to achieve them. When you have a drive, a desire, to do something, to accomplish something that's meaningful to you, it's not about logic or reason. It has to do with this ineffable quality that some men have that makes them different from animals. It's their spirit. Their soul.

There is more to life than just existing as long as you can just seeking pleasure and comfort.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2020, 03:29:41 AM »
yes, why not just sit on the sofa watching TV,,, why waste his life...

If anyone should turn up the gas it would be you. You have virtually flawless lines and a desire to compete. The clock is ticking and you really could make some memories.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2020, 03:42:34 AM »
If anyone should turn up the gas it would be you. You have virtually flawless lines and a desire to compete. The clock is ticking and you really could make some memories.

big year this year hopefully, just a few things to get past and then Im going for a coupl big shows later in the year, agreed, the clock is ticking but I think things are falling into place, the age limits have been changed to over 55, I turn 55 in July so its a big advantage for me..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2020, 09:44:56 AM »
At 5’6 and almost 250 I think I hit my off-season limit without dying 🤔

Flame on

Not going to rag on you about this. You seem to have been successful in the past. One would hope that you know what you are doing or better yet, what you need to do. One note, you don't look happy in the photo.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »
You know...this thread seems pretty critical of Coach, but I appreciate that it comes from a space of genuine concern for his health.

Coach, you know that I've always been a supporter of yours, but I just think you have nothing to prove.  I think you mentioned above being lean at 190-200, but if you were lean at 170-lb, you would be more muscular than 99% of men at any age!  If you are comfortable at 200-lb and relatively lean, then all the power to you.  Some men can be heavier and be more comfortable at that weight.  I have decided that for myself, being 175-lb and relatively lean [compared to the general public - not by competitive bodybuilding standards] is more than sufficient.  I can be pretty strong [for me] at that weight, be competitive nationally in my weight class in strongman, and overall, feel pretty good.

You obviously have a better capacity for gaining muscle than I do though.  For example, even at 185-lb, my weight starts going straight to my stomach.  So I absolutely can't be a big man - especially naturally.  I suspect I could be 200-lb with a smaller stomach if I had some assistance, but I feel 175-lb for me is the weight that maximizes strength, fitness, and overall just feeling good.

Like I said, you are going to be more muscular than 99% of men even if you weigh substantially less.  It's also pretty apparent to me that you are going to be a fit muscular man for basically your entire life.  And again - you have absolutely nothing to prove.

I hope none of this comes across as jealous.  It goes without saying that you have a better physique than I ever do.  And I am impressed with your results over 50, or for any age really!  You and tommywishbone are both inspirations to me.  No hate here!

Let's not forget that you've already spent years as one of the leanest and most muscular men around.

Do you take meds of some sort?

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
Do you take meds of some sort?
probably not, hence the post..