Author Topic: NFL Rushing Attack..Who best running back..ever?  (Read 32845 times)

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
Re: NFL Rushing Attack..Who best running back..ever?
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 05:24:44 AM »
He was better than just "one of those guys".  TD was better than all of his contemporaries that are in the Hall of Fame right now(Bettis(soon to be), Martin, and Faulk) at the time of his career ending knee injury.  He did more in less time than anybody.

NFL MVP, SuperBowl MVP, 2x SB winner, NFL rushing leader, 2000 yard rusher, most 100 yard rushing playoff games in history.  

part of the reason he was so good is because opposing teams had to defend the passing game

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 05:33:44 AM »
So a team that goes to the playoffs in  91, 93, 94, 95, 97 and 99 in a stacked conference like the 90s NFC is "complete ass"?

And if Barry Sanders was such a one man show capable of taking a helpless, destitute team full of garbage to the post season then explain to me how they made the playoffs in 1999, a year after he retired?

The never put anything together when they were decent and much of the time they were total ass.  Especially when you compare them to the teams that these other backs had.  The difference is night and day.  If you won't aknowledge that then you must have something up your ass about Barry Sanders.  Anyone with two eyes should be able to see the difference in teams.  You disagree?  Fine.  I could give a fuck.  Have a nice day.   

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2012, 05:44:21 AM »
Jim Brown.  Next question please.

agreed,,,,,Jim Brown and Gale Sayers...

Believe it or not O.J. was pretty good as well

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:47 AM »
So a team that goes to the playoffs in  91, 93, 94, 95, 97 and 99 in a stacked conference like the 90s NFC is "complete ass"?

And if Barry Sanders was such a one man show capable of taking a helpless, destitute team full of garbage to the post season then explain to me how they made the playoffs in 1999, a year after he retired?
'91 was their year, lost in the NFC championship game to the Redskins.  They were built for the dome with the run and shoot and couldn't get it done on the road. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 06:11:01 AM »
The never put anything together when they were decent and much of the time they were total ass.  Especially when you compare them to the teams that these other backs had.  The difference is night and day.  If you won't aknowledge that then you must have something up your ass about Barry Sanders.  Anyone with two eyes should be able to see the difference in teams.  You disagree?  Fine.  I could give a fuck.  Have a nice day.   

Maybe if Sanders ever showed up in the post season they would have "put something together"

NFL postseason record of futility 13 carries for - 1 yards. Guess who it was?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »
'91 was their year, lost in the NFC championship game to the Redskins.  They were built for the dome with the run and shoot and couldn't get it done on the road. 

Yep. Once Sanders got out of that climate controlled 72 degrees and turf where he could turn on a dime he was significantly less effective in the postseason.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:32 AM »
Yep. Once Sanders got out of that climate controlled 72 degrees and turf where he could turn on a dime he was significantly less effective in the postseason.

Barry could play in any offense on any surface, that wasn't the problem.  He was the greatest pure runner of all time (as in hardest to tackle). 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2012, 06:29:02 AM »
it'd be cool if video games like madden would allow you to replay great games from years past - like show you actual video of the game using their cool graphics -

Only you could punch in new players for different outcomes.  You could see Barry Sanders rushing for 300 yards in a super bowl against the Bills, playing for the cowboys, for example.  You could build all-star teams with different players from different eras.

then you could sit back and watch the game unfold with different results.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2012, 07:10:51 AM »
it'd be cool if video games like madden would allow you to replay great games from years past - like show you actual video of the game using their cool graphics -

Only you could punch in new players for different outcomes.  You could see Barry Sanders rushing for 300 yards in a super bowl against the Bills, playing for the cowboys, for example.  You could build all-star teams with different players from different eras.

then you could sit back and watch the game unfold with different results.

They should do this. That would be awesome. Put together your own fantasy team from years past and play others online. I'd never leave the house -- I'd be too busy crushing fools with my high powered offense. Payton an Sanders in the backfield? hahaha!
The answer is "yes".

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2012, 07:38:58 AM »
1:51 and the one handed palm  ;D

3:09 for just pure sweetness.

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »

Barry could do it every way. blow right by you, do something retarded and run around you, or on occasion go right through you. best pure runner ever.

You watch his highlights and you see guys literally not knowing what the fuck to do as he's coming their way

Barry Sanders, did everything like Groink said above..but his most impressive factor of his game was that he did ALL THAT, his whole career, without a great offensive line. They had their stars for some time but I still believe that they were great pass blockers and not run blockers..doesn't matter cause Sanders never complained once about the line because he didn't have to. That is some serious fucking talent there.

How badass would that Lions team be with Stafford at QB, CJ at WR, and Barry in the backfield :)
That would be fun to watch, like the 90's Cowboys triplets.

MDN

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
C'mon you REALLY want me to compare Terrell Davis to Sanders, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton??

That top 5 group is extremely exclusive and while Terrell Davis was great for a few years who would YOU put him in over those guys?

This.
TD was amazing but your right he did not have a long enough career to belong in there. Of course it wasn't his fault, but thats life. He did just fine in his :) I don't think he has to worry much.

And I think all the 2k club guys get mentioned because of that. Jamall Lewis was a great back who belongs to an elite club (the 2000plus club) but would never be on those lists either.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
Marshall Faulk

Had over 1000 receiving and over 1300 rushing yards in 1999
Pro Bowl (1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002)
NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1999, 2000, 2001)
Pro Bowl MVP (1994)

The guy could catch, run, and block very efficiently.  Most of these running backs listed were only rushers.

Ray Rice is the second coming of Faulk.

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »

Hell no.  He played the Browns twice a year in his heyday and had like 500 yards against just them in his 2000 yd season.

Players that should be mentioned though.

Oj Simpson

Earl Campbell

Eric Dickerson

Thurman Thomas

Earl Campbell was a bad man. That style of play was my favorite. Of course you know it leads to a short career and a walker later in life but damn that was one bad mutherfucker. Made Jerome Bettis look like CJ Spiller :)

Honestly, I am gonna get ripped here....but I still believe Ricky Williams had the potential to be one of the best of all time. If you watched his game in college and the whole NFL timeline...you see a player who just had the power, quickness, agility, and just overall "IT" factor from time to time. Its just a sad thing he never was able to display that. I would like to thank Master P for negotiating his first contract though :)

MDN

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
BTW for those with NFL Network. This Wednesday 12/5 is Barry Sanders on The Football Life. Really good show.

MDN

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
Have you guys forgot that a running back who kept breaking NFL records left and right retired this past off season? Ladainian Tomlinson ring a bell?

This guy was an agile, yet north and south runner like Walter Payton, had vision and reflexes like Barry Sanders, and had the athleticism of Emmit Smith...oh yeah a stiff arm like Jim Brown too.

With all of that being said, he's still #2 behind Barry...They are both "the best to have never won the big one."

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »
He stayed injury FREE longer than the other 2 or 3 Denver backs, who also posted 1200-1600 yd rushing season.  It was Mike's zone blocking system, not his 4.6 40 or no moves, downhill running style.  Actually, he was able to make one cut and get into the wholes.  Oh, go look at Bobby Humphies and see the stats he put up in Mile's system before he got hurt after 2 or 3 seasons.  Then, there was Clinton Portis, who put of freakish numbers in Mike's system, but he left because they didn't want to pay him after a 1600 yd season, when he was making around the minimum.  Davis talent wise is no better than those other two, just happen to have Elway under center during his 7 year run, before injuries killed his career.  I remember him playing and would fight with a friend that I never induct him in the hall of fame because it was all system.  Put him in Detroit and he would have averaged 3 yds per carry.  Sanderson would have had multiple 2000 yd seasons in that system.   Faulk and Dickerson would have been beyond legend, if they were running through the wholes Mike's zone blocking system created. 1

NFL people have pretty good memories, not to vote him in.  Not a great back, but one of the greatest systems in a 10-12 yr stretch Shanahan put together.    

First thing-Bobby Humphrey never played under Mike Shannahan and he never got injured in Denver. He held out then got traded.  The other Denver running backs after him have failed to reach his numbers not to mention havn't even sniffed a Super Bowl.  Sure, he had Elway but John never won a Super Bowl until TD game along as well.

As for the system-yeah it's a great system.  Arian Foster is playing in it right now and is considered a top 2 or 3 running back in the NFL.  Drew Breese benefits from playing in a pass happy system and in a pass happy era, but he's not going to be denied entry into the HOF for it.

You mention Faulk?  TD was everything Faulk was supposed to be during Davis's run.  While Davis was getting SuperBowl rings Faulk was toiling in Indy and being viewed as a player not living to his full potential.  It wasn't until Faulk got traded to the Rams that Marshall blew up.  Why?  Because of St. Louis's "system" the Greatest Show on Turf.  Surely your not gonna downgrade Faulk for playing in a system that produced a HOF quarterback when 2 or 3 years before he was stocking shelves at a supermarket.  Meanwhile, breaking offensive team records that existed for decades prior are you?

Sanders and Dickerson-they would have a HOF career playing in your system or anyone's system.  That's why, in my view, they are 1 and 2 as all-time greats.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »

Go to the 1:10 mark to see his gym/drill specific training.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »

First thing-Bobby Humphrey never played under Mike Shannahan and he never got injured in Denver. He held out then got traded.  The other Denver running backs after him have failed to reach his numbers not to mention havn't even sniffed a Super Bowl.  Sure, he had Elway but John never won a Super Bowl until TD game along as well.

As for the system-yeah it's a great system.  Arian Foster is playing in it right now and is considered a top 2 or 3 running back in the NFL.  Drew Breese benefits from playing in a pass happy system and in a pass happy era, but he's not going to be denied entry into the HOF for it.

You mention Faulk?  TD was everything Faulk was supposed to be during Davis's run.  While Davis was getting SuperBowl rings Faulk was toiling in Indy and being viewed as a player not living to his full potential.  It wasn't until Faulk got traded to the Rams that Marshall blew up.  Why?  Because of St. Louis's "system" the Greatest Show on Turf.  Surely your not gonna downgrade Faulk for playing in a system that produced a HOF quarterback when 2 or 3 years before he was stocking shelves at a supermarket.  Meanwhile, breaking offensive team records that existed for decades prior are you?

Sanders and Dickerson-they would have a HOF career playing in your system or anyone's system.  That's why, in my view, they are 1 and 2 as all-time greats.

i'm not reading all that.  ok, i missed (i may have been thinking of olandis gary since he was SEC too) the BH years, but Mike had a shit load 1000 yd backs.  Davis doesn't belong in the HofF.

Examples of this phenomenon are Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell, all of whom have had at least one 1,000-yard season in a Denver uniform over the past 10 years

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
Sanders played 9 years with the Lions and almost the whole time he was there the team was total ass.  They might have had a couple good linemen for a while.  They might have had a couple receivers do well for a while.  They might have had a QB well for a brief period, but the Lions sucked ass.  It's not revisionist history.  I watched the games and I can tell you with certainty that he was practically a one man team running for his life with defensive linemen in the backfield.  This is the main reason he retired early.  He couldn't stomach losing and taking a beating like that anymore. To compare the players that Barry played with to what Emmitt, Faulk, Payton, Terrell Davis, or even Jim Brown had is laughable.

Although I agree Sanders was the best ever, the Lions teams he played on were as good or better than the Bears teams Payton played on.

Sanders
Brown
Payton

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
bo jackson
Mr. AZ 2003

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »
what's the criteria?

1) Who would you start for a single Super Bowl game, in their prime, for your team?

or

2) Whose career body of work was the best?

or

3) Who achieved the most in the shortest amount of time?  Accomplishment per game?

One single Super Bowl game, winner take all?

I'd suit up John Riggins, Marcus Allen, or Franco Harris before anyone else who has been mentioned.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
bo jackson

This would be the truth... too bad his career was cut so short.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »
1- Jim Brown
2- Jim Brown
3- All of the above.

Football wasn't even his best sport yet he was the best who ever played.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
Jim Brown.  Next question please.
without a doubt he played when football was a sport for real men. not this sissified game they play now..... this is how you treated a quarterback when brown played.
F