Author Topic: Why do pharmacists need so much education?  (Read 6045 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Why do pharmacists need so much education?
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:24:47 AM »
They're just following a doctors written instruction?  ???

(no trolling)

Seems like literacy and honesty would be the only qualification? ???

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
Re: Why do pharmacists need so much education?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:52:21 AM »
In Poland you can sell in pharmacy when you're technician, which is basically shit and easy 3 years course AFAIK.

Pharmacist sometimes have to create special blends and medicines. There is a rule saying that there must be at least one expert pharmacist in every pharmacy, everyone else can be technicians.

90% of pharmacists work for large companies and sell shit to hospitals. It doesn't take much knowledge about chemistry except from love chemistry. Vast majority of medical sales representatives are women and it's common that they suck doctor's cock in order to make them sign better contracts.

Except from sucking cocks it's verry well paid job with many benefits like company car, free booze and food during parties held by pharmecutical companies and if you're a guy, a lot of hot chicks to bang.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:49:18 AM »
My aunt is a pharmacist, and she's a bit loopy, but hearing her talk, I'd be glad she knows her shit. Mixing chemicals can be bad, and when your life is/could be on the line, you'd want that person to be very knowledgable on the subject.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:16 AM »
Compounding pharmacies make shit in-house, I think.  And it's your best source for oxandrolone.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
Pharmacists of today need a Doctor degree in NJ. They work in hospitals as a consultant to doctors reference drugs used on patients. Many hospitals in NJ have several on staff. They make the rounds with doctors as a professional consultant. Many doctors accept that they know drugs better than they do. They are the ones in general in the hospital that prepare chemotherapy treatments dressed in sterile protective head to toe gowns. They are also employed at pharmaceutical companies. Considering the amount of liability in pharmacies they catch many errors  when doctors are prescribing medicines. They also find drug conflicts. Many times they call the doctor and suggest a better drug for the condition. Starting salaries in NJ are around $120K. The better pharmacy colleges are very hard to get into and the course of study is very difficult. They have more drop outs due to academic failure than the doctor program at Rutgers. Pharmacist in the past just had a BS degree then the equivalent of a masters. Some of these older pharmacists are still licensed to work. Compounding pharmacist make drugs all the way up to chemotherapy.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »
i don't know about you guys... but i want the guy who is handing me pills to have a decent level of education...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »
Pharmacists of today need a Doctor degree in NJ. They work in hospitals as a consultant to doctors reference drugs used on patients. Many hospitals in NJ have several on staff. They make the rounds with doctors as a professional consultant. Many doctors accept that they know drugs better than they do. They are the ones in general in the hospital that prepare chemotherapy treatments dressed in sterile protective head to toe gowns. They are also employed at pharmaceutical companies. Considering the amount of liability in pharmacies they catch many errors  when doctors are prescribing medicines. They also find drug conflicts. Many times they call the doctor and suggest a better drug for the condition. Starting salaries in NJ are around $120K. The better pharmacy colleges are very hard to get into and the course of study is very difficult. They have more drop outs due to academic failure than the doctor program at Rutgers. Pharmacist in the past just had a BS degree then the equivalent of a masters. Some of these older pharmacists are still licensed to work. Compounding pharmacist make drugs all the way up to chemotherapy.

^^THIS. My cousin is in charge of a hospital pharmacy dept. The tasks they carry out can get very complex, going way beyond simply filling prescriptions or following a doctor's instructions.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
In the Uk and Ireland it is much different.

They have a complete and intrinsic knowledge of drugs, how they react, what they do and how they react with other medication etc

My sister works in the Cancer Unit in a hospital as a very Senior Pharmacist and is constantly having to learn about new drugs etc

It is a very important job that requires intense knowledge and commitment.

Dr's do prescribe but doctors often make mistakes. The Pharmacists rectify and spot the mistakes.

When I worked in a pharmacy I was forever hearing pharmacists spot mistakes by Drs's. Often potentially very dangerous mistakes.

It is a good career and well paid.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
In the Uk and Ireland it is much different.

They have a complete and intrinsic knowledge of drugs, how they react, what they do and how they react with other medication etc

My sister One of my eight sisters works in the Cancer Unit in a hospital as a very Senior Pharmacist and is constantly having to learn about new drugs etc

It is a very important job that requires intense knowledge and commitment.

Dr's do prescribe but doctors often make mistakes. The Pharmacists rectify and spot the mistakes.

When I worked in a pharmacy I was forever hearing pharmacists spot mistakes by Drs's. Often potentially very dangerous mistakes.

It is a good career and well paid.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
its the same level of education that engineers, teachers, dentists, nurses etc get.. 4year bachelors degree.

not sure that qualifies as "so much education"...

and ive never heard of pharmacists having to get a doctorate.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
In Poland you can sell in pharmacy when you're technician, which is basically shit and easy 3 years course AFAIK.

Pharmacist sometimes have to create special blends and medicines. There is a rule saying that there must be at least one expert pharmacist in every pharmacy, everyone else can be technicians.

90% of pharmacists work for large companies and sell shit to hospitals. It doesn't take much knowledge about chemistry except from love chemistry. Vast majority of medical sales representatives are women and it's common that they suck doctor's cock in order to make them sign better contracts.

Except from sucking cocks it's verry well paid job with many benefits like company car, free booze and food during parties held by pharmecutical companies and if you're a guy, a lot of hot chicks to bang.

??? ??? ???

one of my students here in poland is a drug rep and he ain't rich and he ain't fucking lots of hot chicks

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
??? ??? ???

one of my students here in poland is a drug rep and he ain't rich and he ain't fucking lots of hot chicks

neither are you. and you look like a tupperware container filled with bird shit

MikMaq

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
Meh if your on so many drugs that someone has to figure out how they will mix you shouldn't be on them in the first place.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »
??? ??? ???

if this were any place other than getbig i'd be surprised that people don't know that a drug rep is a saleman...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
neither are you. and you look like a tupperware container filled with bird shit

fuck off

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »
Oh, well thanks...

My cousin is working on Doctor of Pharmacy, and I was actually under the misconception that these people just counted, dispensed,  pills and helped interpret instructions from the doctor or pharmaceutical company.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »
My sis and her husband are both pharmacists.  The computers are doing almost everything now.  Most doctors are morons and just do what they are told... they get kick-backs from the pharma companies for prescribing drugs as well.  Big pharma companies are dictating everything.  The drug stores need pharmacists not because they are knowledgeable, but because they have a "license" to handle/distribute drugs.

I find it funny how the media glams onto AAS as being bad for you.  AAS side effects are very mild on your body compared to some of the nasty "quality of life" drugs that the general public takes.  They give cancer treatment drugs that are known to cause cancer... how absurd.  

Big pharma is all about treating symptoms, not curing people.  Making money is A#1.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »
Oh, well thanks...

My cousin is working on Doctor of Pharmacy, and I was actually under the misconception that these people just counted, dispensed,  pills and helped interpret instructions from the doctor or pharmaceutical company

There are also pharmacy techs, who usually undergo a two-year program and perform the more basic functions in a pharmacy environment. Some pharmacists start out as techs, but make way less money. They also have far less responsibility, but it's a good starting point.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
even people who cut hair need a license to do business these days.

bunch of fucking bullshit.

people should be "allowed"(as if anyone really has the authority to "allow" other people to do things) to work in whatever industry they want.    its the customers fault if they choose to do business with someone who sells them a bad product/service.

licensure is no guarantee of good product/service anyways.

bunch of authoritarian motha fuckas up in this bitch.  

besides, if you look into the history of licensure requirements, youll see they are usually advocated for by existing 'professionals' who want to create a barrier to entry into the profession, a way to make more money.

kids cant even set up a lemonade stand on the corner without a business license and shit..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
My sis and her husband are both pharmacists.  The computers are doing almost everything now.  Most doctors are morons and just do what they are told... they get kick-backs from the pharma companies for prescribing drugs as well.  Big pharma companies are dictating everything.  The drug stores need pharmacists not because they are knowledgeable, but because they have a "licence" to handle/distribute drugs.

I find it funny how the media glams onto AAS as being bad for you.  AAS side effects are very mild on your body compared to some of the nasty "quality of life" drugs that the general public takes.  They give cancer treatment drugs that are known to cause cancer... how absurd. 

Big pharma is all about treating symptoms, not curing people.  Making money is A#1.

Right on all points. My cous carries an iPad all day, and especially while making rounds on the floors. She uses it to access resources and the hospital pharmacy's operating system.

And yes, it's a sin what they prescribe in some instances. Pharma is in the business of making money, not helping people.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »
   great posts in this thread

King_Raisin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
its the same level of education that engineers, teachers, dentists, nurses etc get.. 4year bachelors degree.

Negative...since about 2000, you need a doctor of pharmacy degree to apply for a US license to practice.  Many hospital pharmacists are required to complete a 1 or 2-year post-doc residency to end up their desired area of specialty.  I am currently a practicing clinical pharmacist in the hospital and receive consistent consultations from physicians to write my own orders for patients' antibiotics, chemotherapy, parenteral nutrition, etc.  I'm not sure a PharmD is truly necessary for your standard Walgreens pharmacist (not hating but their scope of practice is much more limited), but in the hospital and other specialty clinical settings it's essential

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
Negative...since about 2000, you need a doctor of pharmacy degree to apply for a US license to practice.  Many hospital pharmacists are required to complete a 1 or 2-year post-doc residency to end up their desired area of specialty.  I am currently a practicing clinical pharmacist in the hospital and receive consistent consultations from physicians to write my own orders for patients' antibiotics, chemotherapy, parenteral nutrition, etc.  I'm not sure a PharmD is truly necessary for your standard Walgreens pharmacist (not hating but their scope of practice is much more limited), but in the hospital and other specialty clinical settings it's essential

Yeah, my cousin worked in retail pharmacy for the first few years post-graduation, then got bored and went into the hospital setting. It was more interesting and better-paying. She also had more room for advancement. I forget when she graduated, but she was accepted into her program right before they extended the length of it.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
I think it's important for pharmacists to obtain their doctorate.

It's a sign of the changing times. No longer are Medical Doctors the only ones to obtain a doctorate in their respective field. Today, you will find that Doctorates are obtained by Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, Physical Therapists and nutritionists.

I think it makes sense and is the best move for quality care and consumer safety.

"1"

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »

It's the nation wide standard now in the US. I just checked with a recent grad pharmacist. If you got your degree say 20 years ago you are exempt. It was a masters degree for many years. They average about 30 credits of just chemistry. They take advanced math like calculus. You can be an RN with a two year degree though many have a four year BSN. What dentist do you go to that has a 4 year degree? A dentist is also a doctor degree.