Author Topic: Meanwhile in Libturdia...  (Read 265 times)

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
Meanwhile in Libturdia...
« on: April 14, 2024, 01:10:09 AM »

i=Dw4TKy2IaZKUeoKW

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Meanwhile in Libturdia...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 03:53:03 AM »
Who wants a job that pays less than $20/hr?

Better to just get welfare and stay in your tent.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 04:21:28 AM »
i=SeSRdfyIieduRwaX

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 03:44:38 PM »

Maybe young folks who are still in high school and who are still living at home. $20 an hour does not go far. In 1960, when I was 16 years old my parents would give me $20 to take a date to dinner and a movie. Try doing that today.

Presently, the federally mandated minimum wage in the U.S. is only $7.25 per hour. But it varies by state. The highest being the District of Columbia and $17 per hour. Although Oregon's minimum wage is $14.20 in the Portland Metro area it is $15.45 per hour this year.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 04:11:17 PM »
Maybe young folks who are still in high school and who are still living at home. $20 an hour does not go far. In 1960, when I was 16 years old my parents would give me $20 to take a date to dinner and a movie. Try doing that today.

Presently, the federally mandated minimum wage in the U.S. is only $7.25 per hour. But it varies by state. The highest being the District of Columbia and $17 per hour. Although Oregon's minimum wage is $14.20 in the Portland Metro area it is $15.45 per hour this year.

Wow, you were spoiled.

$20 in 1960 is equivalent to $211 today.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 06:30:03 PM »

Wow, you were spoiled.

$20 in 1960 is equivalent to $211 today.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

For sure, I was spoiled. Dinner was often in Hollywood, CA and the movies may have been at Grauman's Chinese or the Pantages theater on Hollywood Blvd, and sometimes a premier at The Village Theater in Westwood. The $20 was also likely meant to cover my lunches at school plus after school snacks for the week, maybe gas money too. I am not sure.

I did have responsibilities at home like cleaning the pool and keeping up the yard. I do not remember getting an allowance per se. A year or so later when I worked for my dad, he would pay me under the table $25.00 a day.

My parents also bought me a '55 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible in February or March 1960; six months prior to my 16th birthday. I drove illegally using my driver's permit until I got my license. Lucky me, that I was never pulled over by the police. Gasoline was only 25¢ a gallon.

My parents house in Encino. CA cost them a whopping $32,500 in '57. According to Trulia it is valued at $2,816,900, but the future owners added on quite a bit too. It still has the same pool or a new one in the same location. Where the tennis courts are now was a pasture and stable for my horse.  https://www.trulia.com/home/5035-densmore-ave-encino-ca-91436-19981148

Times have changed. These days, I feel lucky to get one bag of groceries for $100. One bag! Think of that! Guess this is what happens when you live to be ancient, like me.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 09:00:20 PM »

High schoolers, college kids, moms that want to work while their kids are in school, people with disabilities, anyone that wants to make a few bucks on the side....tons of people. Problem is these fast food/part time remedial jobs are being taken up by a certain type of people that hold onto these positions and expect to make a living out of what is supposed to be a starter/supplemental job.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 12:34:14 AM »
For sure, I was spoiled. Dinner was often in Hollywood, CA and the movies may have been at Grauman's Chinese or the Pantages theater on Hollywood Blvd, and sometimes a premier at The Village Theater in Westwood. The $20 was also likely meant to cover my lunches at school plus after school snacks for the week, maybe gas money too. I am not sure.

I did have responsibilities at home like cleaning the pool and keeping up the yard. I do not remember getting an allowance per se. A year or so later when I worked for my dad, he would pay me under the table $25.00 a day.

My parents also bought me a '55 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible in February or March 1960; six months prior to my 16th birthday. I drove illegally using my driver's permit until I got my license. Lucky me, that I was never pulled over by the police. Gasoline was only 25¢ a gallon.

My parents house in Encino. CA cost them a whopping $32,500 in '57. According to Trulia it is valued at $2,816,900, but the future owners added on quite a bit too. It still has the same pool or a new one in the same location. Where the tennis courts are now was a pasture and stable for my horse.  https://www.trulia.com/home/5035-densmore-ave-encino-ca-91436-19981148

Times have changed. These days, I feel lucky to get one bag of groceries for $100. One bag! Think of that! Guess this is what happens when you live to be ancient, like me.

Thats why you suck caulk...

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 10:17:37 AM »
What did your dad do for a living then, Prime?

A car before you were 16.

A horse and stable.

Built in pool.

$200+ cash to go on a date.

You were the Bhanky of your day.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 04:32:41 PM »
What did your dad do for a living then, Prime?

A car before you were 16.

A horse and stable.

Built in pool.

$200+ cash to go on a date.

You were the Bhanky of your day.

If I was the Bhanky of my day, I was unaware of it.