Author Topic: Dr. Colker's Protein Recommendations...  (Read 2797 times)

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
Dr. Colker's Protein Recommendations...
« on: July 07, 2008, 06:03:20 PM »
Okay, this is for Candi and all you other guys that believe you need to be eating 300+ grams of protein per day...

This is taken directly from the book EXTREME MUSCLE ENHANCEMENT 2nd Edition - by: Carlon M. Colker, MD, FACN...  Doctor C is probably one of the smartest dudes in the sport of Bodybuilding, and if you've seen him lately, he's a friggin' beast!

The optimum daily level of protein for a bodybuilder is roughly one gram per pound of lean bodyweight per day.  If you get too far above that, it may not contribute to protein synthesis anymore, but it does become a fuel source... Try to aim for a serving size of about 20-30 grams (of protein) per meal, every 2-3 waking hours.  Based on that logic, a bodybuilder shouldn't be taking in much less than about 150 grams of protein each day...  On the upper extreme, taking in 300 or more grams of protein a day really requires some justification.  That being, you are either a monster of a man at a fairly lean 270 pounds or you live and train high atop Mount Cucamonga.

Keep in mind, he wrote this book as sort of "The Bible" for BODYBUILDERS, not just some fitness buffs. This is advice aimed at those who dream of going pro.

Here's another tidbit from his recommendations on post-workout protein...

As discussed, 20-30 grams of protein every 2-3 hours is about right for extreme muscle enhancement while training hard. . .with one major exception.  If you've just put in a very intense workout, you have a window of opportunity just after the training session when  your body can absorb a significantly higher level of protein...  The notorious Underground Steroid Handbook author Dan Duchaine used to talk about this a lot.  It seems your body may actually crave a higher protein intake just after truly intense physical output (not to be mistaken for a half-assed routine).  Increasing protein intake to 40-50 grams at this critical time is not at all problematic and in fact should spur considerable growth if you're trained correctly and your protein source is a good one.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Dr. Colker's Protein Recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »
layne norton, who is an expert in protein metabolism...hes getting a degree in single nutrient metabolism and that nutrient is protein.....

according to layne norton, 50 grams per meal is ideal, and the level at which most individuals will reach peak protein synthesis. 

:)

and thats WITH carbohydrates.

kukacomone

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:08:34 AM »
I used to eat 300+ grams of protein per day, now I eat 200-240 grams per day and dont feel or see any difference.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:14 AM »
I used to eat 300+ grams of protein per day, now I eat 200-240 grams per day and dont feel or see any difference.

That sounds pretty good, I'd say 1 - 1.5g per lb/bw should be enough

what do u weigh?
tank u jesus

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »
layne norton, who is an expert in protein metabolism...hes getting a degree in single nutrient metabolism and that nutrient is protein.....

according to layne norton, 50 grams per meal is ideal, and the level at which most individuals will reach peak protein synthesis. 

and thats WITH carbohydrates.

Actually, straight from Layne Norton's writing:

For bodybuilders in intense training programs the number is even higher. You see when you lift heavy weights your body breaks down muscle protein, to repair this damage so your muscles can grow bigger and stronger--you need an adequate amount of protein.

Just how much protein are we talking about? Well the magic number seems to be about 1 grams per pound of bodyweight. However people with faster metabolisms need even more, up to 1.25 grams per pound of bodyweight.

Seems to be much more in line with Doc C's advice doesn't it?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »
Actually, straight from Layne Norton's writing:

For bodybuilders in intense training programs the number is even higher. You see when you lift heavy weights your body breaks down muscle protein, to repair this damage so your muscles can grow bigger and stronger--you need an adequate amount of protein.

Just how much protein are we talking about? Well the magic number seems to be about 1 grams per pound of bodyweight. However people with faster metabolisms need even more, up to 1.25 grams per pound of bodyweight.

Seems to be much more in line with Doc C's advice doesn't it?
that doesnt contradict the fact that he also said that 50 grams is where protein synthesis gets maximized.

most studies show that for muscle ain 2-2.5 grams per kg of body weight is good. so yeah, that is just a little bit more than one gram per POUND of body weight.

but that is with sufficient carb intake. alot of people would rather replace carbs with proteins to stay leaner., and aot of people are dieting, so its not about growing, but about avoiding catabolism.

protein builds muscle... protein is the least likely of all the macro's to contribute to adipose... protein stimulate metabolism... protein is anti catabolic as well.. 

im not arguing with colker... but you brought my name up in the thread... so ill post my opinion..

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »

most studies show that for muscle ain 2-2.5 grams per kg of body weight is good. so yeah, that is just a little bit more than one gram per POUND of body weight.

Check your math...
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:51:53 AM »
that doesnt contradict the fact that he also said that 50 grams is where protein synthesis gets maximized.

I read through quite a bit of Layne's writings.  I even posted a direct quote from him.  Can you give a direct quote where he says that 50 grams of protein per meal is ideal?  I seriously doubt you can.

Every single expert out there, with any amount of credibility, goes by the 1 gram per pound of bodyweight rule (and usually it's LEAN bodyweight).

Start backing up your ludicrous statements please.  Otherwise you're just a 20-year-old kid on drugs, that has admitted he can't achieve the body he wants without drugs, so therefore really shouldn't be giving any advice in the first place.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 11:58:01 AM »
I read through quite a bit of Layne's writings.  I even posted a direct quote from him.  Can you give a direct quote where he says that 50 grams of protein per meal is ideal?  I seriously doubt you can.

Every single expert out there, with any amount of credibility, goes by the 1 gram per pound of bodyweight rule (and usually it's LEAN bodyweight).

Start backing up your ludicrous statements please.  Otherwise you're just a 20-year-old kid on drugs, that has admitted he can't achieve the body he wants without drugs, so therefore really shouldn't be giving any advice in the first place.
hulk keep your negativity and your personal attacks for the g&o.

i wont stoop to your level and return the insults or even defend myself from the insults you have shot at me.

as for a quote, here you go =
http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=4226&page=190
post #3788

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
That's your research?  A message board quote that I'm pretty sure you've misinterpreted?  Wow, I'm really gonna start paying attention to you now!

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 06:19:41 AM »
Gayer than starting a proper thread on GetBig

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
That's your research?  A message board quote that I'm pretty sure you've misinterpreted?  Wow, I'm really gonna start paying attention to you now!
Wh4, you are so mature and knowledgeable. i want to be just like you when i grow up. 

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
Wh4, you are so mature and knowledgeable. i want to be just like you when i grow up. 

Gayer than being dead before you grow up

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:01:49 AM »
Gayer than being dead before you grow up
gayer than all these pussy ass mother fuckerz wouldnt say a goddamn thing to my face

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
gayer than all these pussy ass mother fuckerz wouldnt say a goddamn thing to my face

Gayer than everyone on here would say it to your face...Gayer than the internets being serious business

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »

hey white hulk..

dot you have somethign to say, to tell everyone, ????

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 11:50:30 AM »
bump for white hulk

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 12:06:09 PM »
What, that I think you're a retard?

I'm sure you're referring to the fact that I asked Layne if he really recommended 50g per meal on MD's forum, and he said that was correct.

Doesn't do a thing to change my mind on the subject though.  I'll take DOCTOR Colker's advice any day over Layne's...

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »

why do feel the need to make it personal? if you don't agree with what he said just say so, if you really feel that 3-4 oz. protein "meals" are going to get you bigger and more ripped go ahead and in a year when you're small and soft you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
BTW regarding Dr. Colker's recommendations do you really think that a little piss ant 8oz./50 gram of protein steak is going to be too much for your body to utilize? gimme as break. ::)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »
yup, thats right, white hhulk.

you went over to laynes thread and tried to get him to disagree with my interpretation of his post that said protein synthesis gets maxed out at about 50 g per meal for most people.   

even with you baiting him to take your side ( " dont you think thats a bit excessive?" =you say. LOL.),  he responded that yes, 50 grams was indeed optimal, according to his research.

but you never had the deceny to all the people who read your posts, and might have believe what you were saying, to come back and say that yes indeed that was laynes recommendation. (let alone an apology for flying off the handle and making a bunch of personal attacks.)

lift 456

• Getbig III
  • Italian Stallion
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »
150 grams daily is plenty.  you idiots with 500 grms per day = insane
I