Author Topic: question for christians, AGAIN...  (Read 14352 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: question for christians, AGAIN...
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »
If sin is death ...

And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

If sin is death then everlasting life is an existance without sin enjoying an eternity of God's presence and divine, wonderful attributes.  An eternity in hell would then be seperation from God and all those same divine, wonderful attributes.  We understand the severity of our sin and the ultimate holiness of God and the incompatibility therein.  God is essence of life and all that is good, righteous and holy and because of that "condition" sin has a penalty of death.....clearly shows the gravity of our sin as defined by God.    

You know, I've been pleasantly surprised by your willingness to at least discuss the issue politely. I've always been curious about something; perhaps you can give me an answer:

According to Christianity (modulo differences between particular sects) what it boils down to is this:

God creates everything. Satan corrupts man, so God punishes man. Sin -- something we're supposedly born with, and can never escape -- pushes us away from God, despite the love that he has for us. Rather that simply snap his proverbial fingers and make everything right, he apparently decrees that "the wages of sin is death." Then stuff happens. And one third of the triune God sacrifices itself to another third of the triune God so that the "debt" that we owe God for our sin is paid off and wiped clean.

My questions are:

(a) WHY? Why all this insane complexity? If the Christian God is the God of love, as some parts of the Bible proclaim, why go through all this? He is all powerful, after all. If he's a vengeful God, as other parts of the Bible proclaim, why not simply destroy us and be done with it and go play with Humans 2.0? Why all the theater around us?

(b) Why require anything of us? If God loves us and wants to be with us, then why not just love us and be with us? Simply that. Why force us to go through some sort of test?

(c) If God knows that you will be a true believer and thus be saved, but I will be an atheist, who won't be, why create me to begin with so that I may end up <destroyed/annihilated/eternally tortured>?

(d) If he loves me so much, why not simply prove to me He exists? No need for Jesus dying or anything like that - a relatively simple proof would be all that was needed.

(e) What's with Original Sin? How can you have sin without volition?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
The stock answer for (C) is that God did prove he existed to the Israelites and yet in Moses' brief absense, after they had witnessed the parting of the seas they still built golden statues and worshipped them because humans are weak people and will forget about God the second he is out of our sight.. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
The stock answer for (C) is that God did prove he existed to the Israelites and yet in Moses' brief absense, after they had witnessed the parting of the seas they still built golden statues and worshipped them because humans are weak people and will forget about God the second he is out of our sight..  

Did you mean to say "(D)?"  Wouldn't (C) be more Romans 9?
R

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:06 AM »
Did you mean to say "(D)?"  Wouldn't (C) be more Romans 9?

Yep, thanks!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

You know, I've been pleasantly surprised by your willingness to at least discuss the issue politely. I've always been curious about something; perhaps you can give me an answer:

According to Christianity (modulo differences between particular sects) what it boils down to is this:

God creates everything. Satan corrupts man, so God punishes man. Sin -- something we're supposedly born with, and can never escape -- pushes us away from God, despite the love that he has for us. Rather that simply snap his proverbial fingers and make everything right, he apparently decrees that "the wages of sin is death." Then stuff happens. And one third of the triune God sacrifices itself to another third of the triune God so that the "debt" that we owe God for our sin is paid off and wiped clean.

My questions are:

(a) WHY? Why all this insane complexity? If the Christian God is the God of love, as some parts of the Bible proclaim, why go through all this? He is all powerful, after all. If he's a vengeful God, as other parts of the Bible proclaim, why not simply destroy us and be done with it and go play with Humans 2.0? Why all the theater around us?

(b) Why require anything of us? If God loves us and wants to be with us, then why not just love us and be with us? Simply that. Why force us to go through some sort of test?

(c) If God knows that you will be a true believer and thus be saved, but I will be an atheist, who won't be, why create me to begin with so that I may end up <destroyed/annihilated/eternally tortured>?

(d) If he loves me so much, why not simply prove to me He exists? No need for Jesus dying or anything like that - a relatively simple proof would be all that was needed.

Sorry, I've been sick for the last several days so I haven't been online much at all and my head is still a bit fuzzy, but I'm getting better today.

All good questions and I'm happy to answer as best I'm able so here goes LOL!!!

My questions are:

I can’t speak to the insane complexity piece because I’m not sure what is meant by insane complexity – maybe you can expand on that idea for me?  Without adding too much language, God loves his creation and God wants his creation to choose him as he chooses his creation.  When we consider the attributes of God we often choose love, grace, mercy, etc…..the easily digestible attributes.  Although, jealousy, anger, justice, wrath and vengeance are no less divine and reconcile perfectly with the total character of God.  References to God’s wrath, jealousy and vengeance aren’t capricious or unjust…they’re in response to acts of wickedness and unrighteousness.  God has basically commanded us to love him with all our heart and with all our soul and with all our mind.  He has also commanded us to love our neighbors as ourselves.  The theater around us we’ve created ourselves.  

In my humble opinion, this life is about a choice to spend an eternity with God or an eternity without God…either option will be honored and all choices are individually based.  Although, God takes no pleasure in the death of those that deny him.  That said, it’s our sin that must be reconciled in order for any of us to align ourselves with the righteousness of God.  The love of God and his desire to be with us is always there during our lives, but we must be willing, faithful, repentant and desirous in order to claim that ever-present love and relationship with God.

If you’re asking me to take my finite, human perspective and use it to encapsulate God’s infinite perspective I’m afraid I’m going to fail miserably LOL!!  It’s those qualities of finite perspective that leave many flat because it’s all we have at any given moment…right now is what we know about ourselves.  Your stance as an atheist today may not be your stance in 5 years, but as of right now you’re an atheist.  Did God know you’d be an atheist today?  Yes…he’s God.  Can I explain away God’s all-knowing divine qualities LOL?  No I can’t.  I do know that regardless of your stance today God did give us the freedom to alter our position.  I also know that God’s thoughts are not our thoughts.  I’ll never be able to reconcile that transcendence.  God didn’t create you to become an atheist and thereby reject him and spend an eternity without him.  On the contrary, we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

God reveals himself to us in his living Word.  God has revealed himself to us through Jesus Christ.  God has revealed himself through his creation.  God has revealed himself through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  God has revealed himself through the testimony of believers.  Christ interacted with numerous people, performed miracles before them and some of that same audience rejected him despite the proof of his divinity directly in their faces.  Or consider the testimony of a man that was dying in intensive care from massive blood clotting in his lungs due to complications from a thigh/knee surgery.  This man that had once believed had fallen into depression and was considering suicide because of his condition; essentially he had become corrupted by demonic forces that used his vulnerability against him.  During his intensive care stay at the hospital family and friends prayed vigilantly for him and in less than 3 days he was moved from intensive care and placed in progressive care despite every doctor and nurse telling family that the blood clot in his lung that he entered the hospital with was the largest they’d ever seen and could easily take his life at that time.  During his stay in the progressive care unit this man threw his hands in air and surrendered to Christ in his hospital room.  In that moment of surrender the Holy Spirit filled the room and from the point of his surgical thigh incision to the tips of his toes on that repaired leg (also full of blood clots) began to tingle and grow warm as though it was being invisibly wrapped.  The next day family game to visit and upon the man’s father entering his hospital room the man’s father was struck with the presence of the Holy Spirit and noticed that his son’s face appeared somehow translucent as if he was surrounded by a covering.  In time the covering faded, but the man was released from the hospital days later and made a full recovery and his life was transformed by the Holy Spirit.  This was tangible, physical proof and something spiritual and transcendent that the man has shared with others, but more so it’s the work that’s been done is this man’s life that is truly great….he has turned from old ways and is a new creature in Christ.  This is just one testimony of the transformative power of God.  

Just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.  I believe that those folks that are unable to make a conscious choice for God or for sin will be judged accordingly and justly.  I do not believe they will be held accountable for wrong doing as they can’t comprehend the difference.  God knows who we truly are on the inside and he also knows our thoughts and the motivations behind those thoughts and he will also judge us individually and accordingly.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »
Sorry, I've been sick for the last several days so I haven't been online much at all and my head is still a bit fuzzy, but I'm getting better today.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I can’t speak to the insane complexity piece because I’m not sure what is meant by insane complexity – maybe you can expand on that idea for me?  Without adding too much language, God loves his creation and God wants his creation to choose him as he chooses his creation.  When we consider the attributes of God we often choose love, grace, mercy, etc…..the easily digestible attributes.  Although, jealousy, anger, justice, wrath and vengeance are no less divine and reconcile perfectly with the total character of God.  References to God’s wrath, jealousy and vengeance aren’t capricious or unjust…they’re in response to acts of wickedness and unrighteousness.  God has basically commanded us to love him with all our heart and with all our soul and with all our mind.  He has also commanded us to love our neighbors as ourselves.  The theater around us we’ve created ourselves.  

By insane complexity I mean why did God need to sacrifice himself to appease himself (in essence that's what supposedly happened according to the Christian Bible)? Do you not see how illogical and unnecessary this step seems? In a way it's no different than if I were to hand you a $10 with my left hand and ask you, point blank, "hey bro, can you can spot me $10?"

God makes something a "capital crime" (for lack of a better term). Someone commits this "capital crime." That person is guilty, and is cast out of paradise, has to work and eventually dies. All his descendants are also punished, and this goes on for a few millenia. Then God decides that he's changed his mind - somewhat. Rather than say "all is forgiven!" he splits himself into three, and allows one third of himself to be killed. This, somehow, appeases the other two thirds (or is it just the other one third?). Now rather that say "all is forgiven!" he decrees that we must each believe that the sacrifice of the one third has somehow cleansed us
and accept him as a savior. Still things aren't right - people will still die. After a few more millenia, he will return, fight evil, rule over us for a thousand years, then release evil again (what? why?) only to defeat it once and for all. Then all those who believe will live happily ever after.

Do you, seriously, not consider the above insane complexity?

In my humble opinion, this life is about a choice to spend an eternity with God or an eternity without God…either option will be honored and all choices are individually based.  Although, God takes no pleasure in the death of those that deny him.  That said, it’s our sin that must be reconciled in order for any of us to align ourselves with the righteousness of God.  The love of God and his desire to be with us is always there during our lives, but we must be willing, faithful, repentant and desirous in order to claim that ever-present love and relationship with God.

First of all, it's not about choice. It can't be about choice. You admitted that God knew ahead of time that I would be an atheist today, and he knows if I'll be an atheist tomorrow, and the day after and so on. If he knows what I will do before I know it then I don't have free will to choose. Free will with a predetermined outcome isn't free will.

And why must our sin "be reconciled"? Why can't God say "aww shucks guys, I love you all so much that I can't stay mad at you! Come here y'all!"? Please don't hide behind your finger by saying you can't know what's in the mind of God. You can and should judge the kind of entity God is by his actions - or lack thereof.

If you’re asking me to take my finite, human perspective and use it to encapsulate God’s infinite perspective I’m afraid I’m going to fail miserably LOL!!  It’s those qualities of finite perspective that leave many flat because it’s all we have at any given moment…right now is what we know about ourselves.  Your stance as an atheist today may not be your stance in 5 years, but as of right now you’re an atheist.  Did God know you’d be an atheist today?  Yes…he’d God.  Can I explain away God’s all-knowing divine qualities LOL?  No I can’t.  I do know that regardless of your stance today God did give us the freedom to alter our position.  I also know that God’s thoughts are not our thoughts.  I’ll never be able to reconcile that transcendence.  God didn’t create you to become an atheist and thereby reject him and spend an eternity without him.  On the contrary, we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that I die soon after typing this. I haven't accepted Jesus Christ as a personal savior etc; indeed, I die an atheist, who rejects the concept of the Christian God as logically incoherent. Now, let's assume that the Christian God exists and created humans. You have admitted that he knew I'd still be an atheist today, and you presumably agree that he knew I would die today. Leaving aside questions of free will for the moment, it's hard to escape the conclusion that when he created me, he knew full well I'd die 'unsaved' and be punished (whether the punishment is hell or eternal separation or whatever your particular belief calls for is not important).

You said before that God loves us. How is this love? Consider the love a parent has for a child. If God loves us at least that much, then doesn't it seem kind of incongruent that he wouldn't say "aww, I know this whole sin thing is punishable by death. But I love you so much that I can't go through with it. You're saved. Here are the keys to your new heavenly home!"

God reveals himself to us in his living Word.  God has revealed himself to us through Jesus Christ.  God has revealed himself through his creation.  God has revealed himself through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  God has revealed himself through the testimony of believers.  Christ interacted with numerous people, performed miracles before them and some of that same audience rejected him despite the proof of his divinity directly in their faces.  Or consider the testimony of a man that was dying in intensive care from massive blood clotting in his lungs due to complications from a thigh/knee surgery.  This man that had once believed had fallen into depression and was considering suicide because of his condition; essentially he had become corrupted by demonic forces that used his vulnerability against him.  During his intensive care stay at the hospital family and friends prayed vigilantly for him and in less than 3 days he was moved from intensive care and placed in progressive care despite every doctor and nurse telling family that the blood clot in his lung that he entered the hospital with was the largest they’d ever seen and could easily take his life at that time.  During his stay in the progressive care unit this man threw his hands in air and surrendered to Christ in his hospital room.  In that moment of surrender the Holy Spirit filled the room and from the point of his surgical thigh incision to the tips of his toes on that repaired leg (also full of blood clots) began to tingle and grow warm as though it was being invisibly wrapped.  The next day family game to visit and upon the man’s father entering his hospital room the man’s father was struck with the presence of the Holy Spirit and noticed that his son’s face appeared somehow translucent as if he was surrounded by a covering.  In time the covering faded, but the man was released from the hospital days later and made a full recovery and his life was transformed by the Holy Spirit.  This was tangible, physical proof and something spiritual and transcendent that the man has shared with others, but more so it’s the work that’s been done is this man’s life that is truly great….he has turned from old ways and is a new creature in Christ.  This is just one testimony of the transformative power of God.  

Tangible, physical proof? Hardly. It's hearsay and personal interpretation of events with a good amount of fantasy thrown in. And don't forget: two can play that game. Why, I can quote the example of a man who swears that he was actually cured by another deity and who is quite adamant that his deity is not only real and quite different than your deity, but that his is the only real deity and yours is just a figment of your imagination.

Indeed, the whole point is that God doesn't provide any tangible, physical proof. He requires faith. Unfortunately, faith isn't a valid means of acquiring knowledge. Nobody every learned math, or physics or chemistry by faith.

Just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.  I believe that those folks that are unable to make a conscious choice for God or for sin will be judged accordingly and justly.  I do not believe they will be held accountable for wrong doing as they can’t comprehend the difference.  God knows who we truly are on the inside and he also knows our thoughts and the motivations behind those thoughts and he will also judge us individually and accordingly.

That side-stepped my question. Why would the actions of one man taint all of us? How is it just for use to be held accountable for the actions of someone who, if he existed, had already turned to dust a few thousand years ago? Do you really believe that it is just to punish a child from the actions of the father?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »

By insane complexity I mean why did God need to sacrifice himself to appease himself (in essence that's what supposedly happened according to the Christian Bible)? Do you not see how illogical and unnecessary this step seems? In a way it's no different than if I were to hand you a $10 with my left hand and ask you, point blank, "hey bro, can you can spot me $10?"

God makes something a "capital crime" (for lack of a better term). Someone commits this "capital crime." That person is guilty, and is cast out of paradise, has to work and eventually dies. All his descendants are also punished, and this goes on for a few millenia. Then God decides that he's changed his mind - somewhat. Rather than say "all is forgiven!" he splits himself into three, and allows one third of himself to be killed. This, somehow, appeases the other two thirds (or is it just the other one third?). Now rather that say "all is forgiven!" he decrees that we must each believe that the sacrifice of the one third has somehow cleansed us
and accept him as a savior. Still things aren't right - people will still die. After a few more millenia, he will return, fight evil, rule over us for a thousand years, then release evil again (what? why?) only to defeat it once and for all. Then all those who believe will live happily ever after.

First of all, it's not about choice. It can't be about choice. You admitted that God knew ahead of time that I would be an atheist today, and he knows if I'll be an atheist tomorrow, and the day after and so on. If he knows what I will do before I know it then I don't have free will to choose. Free will with a predetermined outcome isn't free will.

And why must our sin "be reconciled"? Why can't God say "aww shucks guys, I love you all so much that I can't stay mad at you! Come here y'all!"? Please don't hide behind your finger by saying you can't know what's in the mind of God. You can and should judge the kind of entity God is by his actions - or lack thereof.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that I die soon after typing this. I haven't accepted Jesus Christ as a personal savior etc; indeed, I die an atheist, who rejects the concept of the Christian God as logically incoherent. Now, let's assume that the Christian God exists and created humans. You have admitted that he knew I'd still be an atheist today, and you presumably agree that he knew I would die today. Leaving aside questions of free will for the moment, it's hard to escape the conclusion that when he created me, he knew full well I'd die 'unsaved' and be punished (whether the punishment is hell or eternal separation or whatever your particular belief calls for is not important).

You said before that God loves us. How is this love? Consider the love a parent has for a child. If God loves us at least that much, then doesn't it seem kind of incongruent that he wouldn't say "aww, I know this whole sin thing is punishable by death. But I love you so much that I can't go through with it. You're saved. Here are the keys to your new heavenly home!"

Tangible, physical proof? Hardly. It's hearsay and personal interpretation of events with a good amount of fantasy thrown in. And don't forget: two can play that game. Why, I can quote the example of a man who swears that he was actually cured by another deity and who is quite adamant that his deity is not only real and quite different than your deity, but that his is the only real deity and yours is just a figment of your imagination.

Indeed, the whole point is that God doesn't provide any tangible, physical proof. He requires faith. Unfortunately, faith isn't a valid means of acquiring knowledge. Nobody every learned math, or physics or chemistry by faith.

That side-stepped my question. Why would the actions of one man taint all of us? How is it just for use to be held accountable for the actions of someone who, if he existed, had already turned to dust a few thousand years ago? Do you really believe that it is just to punish a child from the actions of the father?
I did read your response, but I'll have to respond tomorrow; unfortunately, I'm quite tired tonight (meds are knocking me out).

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »

I did read your response, but I'll have to respond tomorrow; unfortunately, I'm quite tired tonight (meds are knocking me out).

Well, I suppose when you put it in those terms it looks complex and odd; although, Christ’s sacrifice on the cross wasn’t about God the Son, God the Father or God the Holy Spirit.  The sacrifice was for us.  Christ, the lamb worthy to be slain, the one without sin became the perfect sacrifice and payment for all of our sin.  Did he have to die?  No.  He could’ve called to his side any multitude of angels and destroyed the Sanhedrin, the Roman guard and the screaming crowd demanding his life be taken.  Instead, he chose to sacrifice himself for you, for me and for everyone else and pay the debt for our sin thereby providing all who believe the gift of life.

I believe that Satan is released after the conclusion of the millennial kingdom so that those born during that thousand years can once again make a genuine choice to accept or reject God once and for all.  Why a thousand year kingdom?   I don’t know, but again he wants the choice to be ours.

This idea assumes that God both knows all and influences your choices and that simply isn’t the case.  God can absolutely be all-knowing and still give you the freedom to choose and honor you choices.  He doesn’t influence your choice or predetermine it.  Further, many will say “what’s the point of prayer if God knows all….why doesn’t he just do something about it?”  Prayer isn’t about God’s benefit, it’s about ours.  It’s about drawing closer to our God and developing our faith and trust in the Lord.  We should seek God on a daily basis, confess our sins and continually seek to draw closer to the Holy Spirit so that we can more fully stand as representatives of Christ allowing him to work through us.  I also believe that God can choose to intervene in our lives whenever he feels it appropriate; although, not at the expense of our freedom to choose.  He may test us from time to time in order to help us draw closer to him, but these tests/trials/seasons won't compromise our choice.  Further, I believe can make a square peg fit into a round hole if he so chooses.  How does he do this?  LOL, that I can’t say.  

LOL, well, for a believer God will basically say that about our sin provided we’re willing to confess our sins and repent of them.  If I never disciplined my child and I continually allowed her to break dishes or get into Mommy’s purse and steal makeup and just said, “I love you honey so all is forgiven,” I’d be doing her a disservice by not requiring her to first recognize her wrongdoing.  Parents that truly love their children look at their sweet little faces and still discipline them for their actions, educate them about what they’ve done wrong and then help them develop an appreciation for the difference between right and wrong and turn from that wrong.  Again, it’s not about the development of the parent, it’s about the development of the child.   God knows the contents of our hearts.  He knows the motivations behind our actions and whether or thoughts are genuine and pure.  If we approach him with a truly repentant heart we will be forgiven.    

Again, God wants us to choose him as he has chosen us.  He takes no pleasure in the deaths of those that reject him, but he honors their choice to reject him.  I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but C.S. Lewis said, “There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'”

God reveals himself to those who believe and yes we must have faith; although, the man in the story is me and I have no reason to lie.  I share because I want others to experience the love of God like I have.  

Sorry, I didn’t mean to side step anything…I didn’t understand your question.  You lead with a very general “What’s with original sin” and then followed up with “how can there be sin without volition”.  I thought you were drawing the two questions into one concerning those folks that can’t make decisions for themselves because they’re simply unable.  I threw in a bit of scripture for color, but addressed what I thought was your question.  

"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,"  This is more in reference to learned, sinful behavior passed from generation to generation.  It’s about the actions of parents that influence their children.  For example, children that witness drug use by parents are likely to adopt those same sinful tendencies.  Although, within that same book it states that, "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin."  In essence, it’s up to each generation to draw a close to the learned, sinful behavior of the previous generation, but regardless we are individually responsible for our own sins.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
Well, I suppose when you put it in those terms it looks complex and odd; although, Christ’s sacrifice on the cross wasn’t about God the Son, God the Father or God the Holy Spirit.  The sacrifice was for us.  Christ, the lamb worthy to be slain, the one without sin became the perfect sacrifice and payment for all of our sin.  Did he have to die?  No.  He could’ve called to his side any multitude of angels and destroyed the Sanhedrin, the Roman guard and the screaming crowd demanding his life be taken.  Instead, he chose to sacrifice himself for you, for me and for everyone else and pay the debt for our sin thereby providing all who believe the gift of life.

But why was a sacrifice even necessary? Remember, this "debt" is supposedly owed to God who then turns around and collects it from (in essence) himself! Why would God not say "all is forgiven! It is done!" and lo, our "debt" is paid. I understand that this might be a difficult question vis-a-vis 'not knowing the mind of God' but I'm sure you'll agree it's enough to give anyone pause.

I believe that Satan is released after the conclusion of the millennial kingdom so that those born during that thousand years can once again make a genuine choice to accept or reject God once and for all.  Why a thousand year kingdom?   I don’t know, but again he wants the choice to be ours.

The length of time is irrelevant to me. What I find interesting is the notion of "I'm here, I defeat evil and all is well. But wait! There's more. I have now let evil loose again for one more final battle." It just sounds like a UFC promotion, to me.

Now, I'll tell you why I don't quite 'buy' your answer (pardon the term)... If we assume God created everything and the Bible is truth, then clearly God intended for a certain total number of people -- let's call it x -- to be born. So, he could have achieved the same result (i.e. people "choosing" to accept or reject God) by simply postponing the Second Coming for a thousand years.

This idea assumes that God both knows all and influences your choices and that simply isn’t the case.  God can absolutely be all-knowing and still give you the freedom to choose and honor you choices.  He doesn’t influence your choice or predetermine it.

??? How can he "absolutely be all-knowing and still give [me] the freedom to choose"? Free will and omniscience are irreconcilable.

If God is omniscient then he unerringly knows what I will choose to do then my choice isn't free (although I might *think* that it is free - but that's not the same thing as actual freedom). If this is the case, nothing we do matters: we're puppets, moved by invisible string according to a script.

If, on the other hand, my choice is, actually, free, then God simply can't know what I will choose; ergo he isn't omniscient and omniscience is a key attribute of the Christian God.

Further, I believe can make a square peg fit into a round hole if he so chooses.  How does he do this?  LOL, that I can’t say.

That's an interesting choice of words -- you believe that he can do that. Belief is fine, and sometimes it can even be rational. But not always. While anyone of us could, given a big enough hammer, fit a square peg into a round hole, it is impossible to make a square circle. If you believe, contrary to logic and the nature of a 'circle' and a 'square', that someone can actually make a square circle, then there's really nothing else to say.

LOL, well, for a believer God will basically say that about our sin provided we’re willing to confess our sins and repent of them.  If I never disciplined my child and I continually allowed her to break dishes or get into Mommy’s purse and steal makeup and just said, “I love you honey so all is forgiven,” I’d be doing her a disservice by not requiring her to first recognize her wrongdoing.  Parents that truly love their children look at their sweet little faces and still discipline them for their actions, educate them about what they’ve done wrong and then help them develop an appreciation for the difference between right and wrong and turn from that wrong.  Again, it’s not about the development of the parent, it’s about the development of the child.   God knows the contents of our hearts.  He knows the motivations behind our actions and whether or thoughts are genuine and pure.  If we approach him with a truly repentant heart we will be forgiven.

That's an awesome example and I am glad that you brought it up. Unfortunately, it's not quite accurate. First of all, when a parent punishes a child in the manner you suggest, they do it personally and they usually explain why. God never personally disciplined you nor does he explain why discipline is necessary. Any discipline you will get from him directly, will come after you're dead -- when it's too late to change.

Second, you say that simply saying "I love you honey so all is forgiven" would be to do the child a disservice. But isn't that exactly what you claim the Christian God does? It doesn't matter what I do, as long as I accept Jesus Christ, all is forgiven.

Again, God wants us to choose him as he has chosen us.  He takes no pleasure in the deaths of those that reject him, but he honors their choice to reject him.  I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but C.S. Lewis said, “There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'”

C.S. Lewis was great at wordplay. But there's still a lingering question: according to you God knows you'll be saved and I won't, before we were even "created." So he knowingly created me knowing I'd reject him. Why?

God reveals himself to those who believe and yes we must have faith; although, the man in the story is me and I have no reason to lie.  I share because I want others to experience the love of God like I have.

I don't think you have a reason to lie - nor did I want to suggest that. I apologize if it came across that way. Nor am saying that the experience you had wasn't meaningful to you; please don't misunderstand. My point was that people interpret things based on their own personal beliefs and experiences. Someone who believes in eastern medicine or new-age stuff, might very well have credited unblocking the chakras, or releasing the chi or somesuch. Someone who was born and raised in a Muslim environment might have very well credited Allah. A Catholic might very well credit intercession by a Saint.

But not all those interpretations can be right. You are, by virtue of your belief, saying all those other people, whose interpretations of their own experience lead them to a different conclusion, are wrong. They might, very well, say the same about your interpretation. How can we tell who's right and who's wrong in this scenario? The answer is we cannot.

That's why personal experiences aren't useful in this context. You see a miraculous recovery. I see advanced medical knowledge and resources, good doctors and a bit of luck.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to side step anything…I didn’t understand your question.  You lead with a very general “What’s with original sin” and then followed up with “how can there be sin without volition”.  I thought you were drawing the two questions into one concerning those folks that can’t make decisions for themselves because they’re simply unable.  I threw in a bit of scripture for color, but addressed what I thought was your question.

No worries - I didn't think you did it on purpose.

"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,"  This is more in reference to learned, sinful behavior passed from generation to generation.  It’s about the actions of parents that influence their children.  For example, children that witness drug use by parents are likely to adopt those same sinful tendencies.  Although, within that same book it states that, "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin."  In essence, it’s up to each generation to draw a close to the learned, sinful behavior of the previous generation, but regardless we are individually responsible for our own sins.

Then we agree that it's "unfair" to visit the sins of the father on the children. But then how do you reconcile that with the "original sin" that is "inherent" in us because of Adam? That's why I mentioned sin without volition in the context of original sin -- we are supposedly born sinners, for something that we didn't do and was completely outside of our control.