Author Topic: Ask a REAL Karate Blackbelt  (Read 17382 times)

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
Re: Ask a REAL Karate Blackbelt
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »
You're right.  As someone who trained with Manny as a very very young man Manny discourages weight training unless it's something you do as a hobby outside of your boxing training.  I know he discourages from lifting when you get very close to a fight.

That guy must really know a lot.
These guys look like they just jump rope and do situps!

Mike Tyson is built like Bob Fitzsimmons!

Its a good job Tyson [in his prime], Lennox, Ali and Hatton ignored him then ::)
Its not often i agree with 'Bezerk Fury', but you are an obvious troll that is on a sugar rush from all those cookies your mom baked you.

I'm not trolling, and I know a hell of a lot more than you do.

Royce Gracie fought few people that made him look like a kid.
Royce Gracie is not a small man:
He's 6'1" and was fighting at 180 in the UFC.

*He armbarred a 5'11'' 190 pound Jason Delucia.
*He tapped a cruiserweight boxer in UFC1
*He beat a 6'2" 225 pound Pat Smith
*He beat a 6'5" 215 pound Gerard Gordeau
*A 6'2" 225 pound Kimo
*A 5'11" 200 pound Keith Hackney
*A 51 year old Ron VanClieff, that didn't dwarf him by any means

200 pound Kempo practicioner Keith Hackney beat a 6'8" 600 pound Yarborough.

5'10" Tae Kwon Do fighter Cal Worsham beat a 6'8" 300 pound Paul Varelans.

215 pound Savate and Karate practicioner Gerard Gordeau beat a 415 pound Tila Tuli.

But these feats never get mentioned, Gracie gets all the glory as a "giant killer."
They should have put Gracie against the 600 pound sumo wrestler.
The UFC 1 was run by the Gracies as a means to sell their art, and it worked.
I strongly believe the Severn/Gracie match was a work.
It's propaganda, and he was pummeled into retirement by Ken Shamrock.

There was SO much corruption in that show. They were introducing people as being representatives of styles that they had no training in. They were claiming certain people had 10 black belts. It's a good thing Dana White took over, barring the Bisping incident.

Where are all the Jiu Jitsu champions dominating now?
TEAM REPTILIAN

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »

*A 6'2" 225 pound Kimo

215 pound Savate and Karate practicioner Gerard Gordeau beat a 415 pound Tila Tuli.

But these feats never get mentioned, Gracie gets all the glory as a "giant killer."

There was SO much corruption in that show. They were introducing people as being representatives of styles that they had no training in. They were claiming certain people had 10 black belts. It's a good thing Dana White took over, barring the Bisping incident.

You just contradicted yourself.. You said size matters and then list a bunch of smaller guys destroying big guys.. Wow go back to the mcdojo. Don't you have a 27th dan test to pass... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 01:17:14 PM »
how tall are you sincitysmallguy?
Z

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »
You just contradicted yourself.. You said size matters and then list a bunch of smaller guys destroying big guys.. Wow go back to the mcdojo. Don't you have a 27th dan test to pass... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Of course size matters. Are you saying it doesn't?
It's not the only factor, it's the most important factor.
You see things as polarised absolutes.
Well it's not that simple sincitysmallfry.

No amount of technique will overcome size at a certain point.
No technique is effective without muscle to apply it.
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »

*A 6'2" 225 pound Kimo

Thats because in UFC one Rorion's back group picked guys who appeared large and STRONG who had little to no ground experience.  The only one with ground experience was Shammy.  A wrestler with a blue belt would have done just as good.  How active was Royce's guard.  Anyone of that original batch had a clue to posture up and hips in to stack Royce.  Anyone even attempt to pass?  

Your second part of this diatribe doesn't make sense also.  Jits players doing well in MMA:  Let me see.  BJ Penn, Napao, Big, Lil Nog, Anderson Silva, Shinya Aoki, Kid Yamamoto, Ricardo Arona, Wanderlei Silva, Shogun Rua, hell, even Forrest has a purple belt.  (For Danielson)  Not to mention Din Thomas, Monson, Brandon Vera, Hermes Franca, Kenny Florian, I could go on forever.  Everyone has BJJ as part of their game.  

Why don't you list real karate black belts WHO STILL USE KARATE as part of their game.  With the advent of McDojos, nearly everyone has karate as an art formerly trained, myself included.  

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 01:21:53 PM »
sincity is a small guy. they spend their wholes lives telling themselves size dont matter.

Z

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »
sincity is a small guy. they spend their wholes lives telling themselves size dont matter.

Yes, you can tell the shrimps on here because they get so offended when anyone
brings up size hahaha. The number of Napolean complexes is amazing.
TEAM REPTILIAN

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »
Thats because in UFC one Rorion's back group picked guys who appeared large and STRONG who had little to no ground experience.  The only one with ground experience was Shammy.  A wrestler with a blue belt would have done just as good.  How active was Royce's guard.  Anyone of that original batch had a clue to posture up and hips in to stack Royce.  Anyone even attempt to pass?  

Your second part of this diatribe doesn't make sense also.  Jits players doing well in MMA:  Let me see.  BJ Penn, Napao, Big, Lil Nog, Anderson Silva, Shinya Aoki, Kid Yamamoto, Ricardo Arona, Wanderlei Silva, Shogun Rua, hell, even Forrest has a purple belt.  (For Danielson)  Not to mention Din Thomas, Monson, Brandon Vera, Hermes Franca, Kenny Florian, I could go on forever.  Everyone has BJJ as part of their game.  

Why don't you list real karate black belts WHO STILL USE KARATE as part of their game.  With the advent of McDojos, nearly everyone has karate as an art formerly trained, myself included.  

Most of the champions use wrestling as their primary grappling art, not Jiu Jitsu.
Many current and past champions use Full-contact Karate in K-1 and MMA, along with the crosstraining that is normal for the modern MMA fighter, especially in grappling.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 01:28:27 PM »
Yes, you can tell the shrimps on here because they get so offended when anyone
brings up size hahaha. The number of Napolean complexes is amazing.

im trying to find out just how small he is, maybe midget small?
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:22 PM »

6'2" and around 190lbs I told you this on another board... Hence the small guy as this is a body building board... But not small in relative size to the rest of the world... ;D ;D ;D

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:31 PM »

He's probably hoping to get extra work as Elf #17 in Bad Santa 3.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 01:31:59 PM »
6'2" and around 190lbs I told you this on another board... Hence the small guy as this is a body building board... But not small in relative size to the rest of the world... ;D ;D ;D

allright thought you were a midget there for a second, i guess only your brain is  :D
Z

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »

I think you should cut 20 and fight Hughes.   ;)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
I think you should cut 20 and fight Hughes.   ;)

Hughes is a lil short but a ripped as beast... Dude has natural farm boy strength.. Which I value much more over weight training.. I wouldnt want to, but I would love the chance to throw on some gloves and roll and spar with him for sure...  ;D ;D ;D Wouldn't turn it down for the world that is for sure..

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »
Hughes is a lil short but a ripped as beast... Dude has natural farm boy strength.. Which I value much more over weight training.. I wouldnt want to, but I would love the chance to throw on some gloves and roll and spar with him for sure...  ;D ;D ;D Wouldn't turn it down for the world that is for sure..

He kicked that little dude real hard in the ribs on Tapout a few weeks ago. I thought they were just fucking around, wrestling a bit, and Hughes fkn kicks him in the ribs, he seems like a dick.
E

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 05:07:06 PM »
He kicked that little dude real hard in the ribs on Tapout a few weeks ago. I thought they were just fucking around, wrestling a bit, and Hughes fkn kicks him in the ribs, he seems like a dick.

that's okay my old man is a dick when it comes to training to and he's 6'6" 6'7" and 335lbs... He doesn't cut me any slack and my instructor for JJ is a complete dick he holds things extra long. I don't mind, I took a black eye the other week from him kicking me in the face as he was applying the arm bar.. I wouldn't give it up and so he gave me a nice heel to eyeball... ;D ;D ;D ;D The boss wasn't to happy about that...

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 01:24:09 AM »
Most of the champions use wrestling as their primary grappling art, not Jiu Jitsu.
Many current and past champions use Full-contact Karate in K-1 and MMA, along with the crosstraining that is normal for the modern MMA fighter, especially in grappling.

Name me one other than the guy I will give you, Lyoto Machida.  GSP, although he did train karate, does Muay Thai with Kru Phil Nurse.  You always name Bas, but what techniques does Bas use, muay thai.  His replacement coach, Sean Thompkins, what does he train the Anacondas with, muay thai.  Again, other than Lyoto, who is using karate in mma?  Awaiting you answer. 

And if you think no one uses BJJ in mma then you are clueless. 

BTW, how many shotokan practicioners in mma?  Not counting kyoshukin.... 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
Bulldog, I know you are a smart, knowledgable guy, but you have a habit of building explanations around your forgone conclusions.

*Currently, Semmy Schilt, is the champion of the K-1.
He's a Full-Contact Karate practicioner.

*Andy Hug was a recent K-1 champion(he died), with victories over Muay-Thai/kickboxing practicioners Aerts, and Hoost.
He's a Full-Contact Karate practicioner, and he is also one of the smallest K-1 heavyweight champions in history.

*Former UFC champion Bas Rutten is a karateka cross trained in many martial arts.
He didn't dabble in karate...he's 6th degree by his own admission.
You don't dabble in karate and earn 6th degree.
It takes years of brutal conditioning, mastery of katas, and actual fighting:

Q: How many different styles of fighting have you trained in? Do you have any ranks? Who do you consider your teacher?

Bas: Tae Kwon Do 2nd Degree, Kyokushin Karate 2nd Degree, Thai boxing yellow slip (just kidding), Kyokushin All round fighting 5th Degree (I received this after I defeated Takahashi. I didn’t do any test for this).
I thought a lot myself, striking wise I would say that I learned the most at Mean Ho gym in Breda Holland. Cor Hemmers is the teacher there, he is very good. I started learning the basics in Grappling with Chris Dolman in Holland.

*Former UFC Lightheavyweight Champion Chuck Liddel is also a blackbelt in karate.

A former UFC Light Heavyweight champion, Liddell has an extensive background in kickboxing and collegiate wrestling. He is associated with the Pit team and recently earned a purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. However, he is generally regarded as a stand-up fighter, relying primarily on his background in Kempo karate and Koei-Kan karate.

*Former UFC Welterweight Champion Georges Saint Pierre is a Full Contact Karate Fighter:

Early career
St. Pierre had dreamed of becoming a UFC champion since watching Royce Gracie fight in 1993 at UFC 1.[8] GSP had his first amateur bout when he was only 16 years old. He states, "When I won my first amateur (MMA) fight, I was 16 years old and I beat a guy that was 25. I was only a Kyokushin karate fighter and the guy I fought was a boxer. At the time my ground skills were very poor, I didn’t know nothing on the ground.” St. Pierre won his fight by knockout, going low with several leg kicks and then going high with a kick to the head. To this day many fans and much of the media has him pegged as a wrestler, or a Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighter, but he still considers himself a karate stylist at heart.[9]

The First UFCs were held by the Gracie family to sell BJJ as a fighting style capable of allowing a smaller man defeat a larger opponent.
What a great selling point.

The fact is, the most impressive wins over large opponents came from the Karate fighters.
But the Gracies were in control of the tournament, and the Gracies get the glory. That's business for you.
I think they should have put Gracie in there with Yarborough.

*200 pound Kempo practicioner Keith Hackney beat a 6'8" 600 pound Yarborough.

*5'10" Tae Kwon Do fighter Cal Worsham beat a 6'8" 300 pound Paul Varelans.

*215 pound Savate and Karate practicioner Gerard Gordeau beat a 415 pound Tila Tuli.

Karate is stronger today than ever.
Every fighter cross traines today,
but to insinuate that fighters like Bas Rutten only use Muay-Thai and abandoned their years of Karate training is insulting to the intelligence of the fighters.
The inside fighting Bas used in his Pancrase days, and the way he uses his hands to strike comes from years karate training.
In Karate they teach you to block and stike the body from the inside, Muay-Thai emphasis the clinch. Bas made good use of both techniques.
GSP has finished opponents with spinning backkicks, and they don't even use that in traditional Muay-Thai.
He and Liddell also make use of deep karate stances.
You can go to Japan or Holland, and you'll find out how seriously they take karate.
Perhaps that's why Americans don't produce many highly succesful K-1 fighters.

In Japan and Holland they train in Karate, Muay-Thai, and kickboxing.

In America they train in boxing and learn how to throw a roundhouse kick.

The origins of kickboxing and K-1 are in Karate.

Kickboxing, as a style, is karate without the kata(which ARE important to fighting), and with boxing hand techniques.
The reason is, gloves eliminate the effectiveness of inside blocking/fighting. It's adaptation to the ring.

On December 20, 1959, a Muay Thai match among Thai fighters was held at Tokyo Asakusa town hall in Japan. Tatsuo Yamada who had established "Nihon Kempo Karate-do" was interested in Muay Thai because he wanted to perform Karate matches in Full-contact rules since practitioners are not allowed to hit each other directly in Karate matches. At this time, it was unimaginable to hit each other in Karate matches in Japan. He had already announced his planning which was named "The draft principles of project of establishment of a new sport and its industrialization" in November, 1959, and he put forward a new sport "Karate-boxing" which was a tentative name then. It is still unknown that Thai fighters were invited by Yamada, but it is clear that Yamada was the only karateka who was really interested in Muay Thai. Yamada invited a Thai fighter who was the champion of Muay Thai formerly as his son Kan Yamada's sparring partner, and started studying Muay Thai. At this time, the Thai fighter was taken by Osamu Noguchi who was a promoter of boxing and was also interested in Muay Thai. For example, the Thai fighter's photo was on the magazine "The Primer of Nihon Kempo Karate-do, the first number" which was published by Yamada.
There were "Karate vs. Muay Thai fights" February 12, 1963. The 3 karate fighters from Oyama dojo (Kyokushin later) went to the Lumpinee Boxing Stadium in Thailand, and fought against 3 Muay Thai fighters. The 3 karate fighters' names are Tadashi Nakamura, Kenji Kurosaki and Akio Fujihira (as known as Noboru Osawa). Japan won by 2-1 then. Noguchi and Kenji Kurosaki (Kyokushin karate instructor) studied Muay thai and developed a combined martial art which Noguchi named kick boxing. However, throwing and butting were allowed in the beginning to distinguish from Muay Thai style. This was repealed later. The Kickboxing Association the first kickboxing sanctioning body was founded by Osamu Noguchi in 1966 soon after that. Then the first kickboxing event was held in Osaka, April 11, 1966. Tatsu Yamada died in 1967, but his dojo changed its name to Suginami Gym, and kept sending kickboxers off to support kickboxing.

The advantage Muay-Thai has over Karate is they teach the most effective techniques used in all standup and focus on them entirely.
Thus, it is possible to be effective with Muay-Thai early. However Karate teaches all the strikes used in Muay-Thai, and more, thus it is a more comprehensive system. It does take longer to master. Some kicks and strikes that aren't effective in sport fighting may be useful in certain real-world situations.

Kata is very important, not only as an endurance exercise, but as a means to practice technique.
The same way you type on Getbig everyday and develop muscle memory, you automatically strike the correct key without even thinking about it.
This is the purpose of kata. The instructors can make sure you are shifting the hips correctly when you punch etc.
It's doesn't take precedent over sparring and contact training except in American Tae Kwon Do McDojos.

All standup fighters, Karateka, MT, kickboxers...
make use of the same strikes in sport fighting-roundhouse, leg strikes, front kicks, etc.
The reason some standup styles like TKD have less success is more to do with the fact that they don't get their
trainees used to actually being hurt. It's a conditioning issue. This has to do with American schools being wary of getting
sued by soccor moms that just want a workout. They don't train the same way in Korea.

TEAM REPTILIAN

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »
Kempo Karate fighter Keith Hackney vs. 6'5'' 600 pound sumo wrestler in bareknuckle fight:

215 pound Savate and Karate fighter Gerard Gordeau vs. 400 pound giant Tila Tuli in full-contact bareknuckle fight:

Muay Thai fighter Changphuak Kiatsongrit, was one of the first Thai fighters to travel the world testing Muay-Thai against various styles.
Here he is facing Karate fighter Andy Hug under Karate rules:

Kickboxer, K-1 fighter, and UFC veteran Pat Smith takes on Japanese Seidokaikan Karate Fighter:

&mode=related&search=

Andy Hug VS Nobuaki Kakuda K-1 World GP 1993

&NR=1
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 09:01:23 PM »
A decent explanation, but.....

Chuck, although a Kajukenbo (I was a green belt in Kajukembo) black belt, is more of a wrestler, with hands low and inside to block shots.  HE ALWAYS keeps his hands in to get the double underhooks.  His style of loopey punches is set up ON PURPOSE to catch someone when shooting.  Why does John Hacklethorn have kempo as a seperate curriculum outside of his mma program?  Because kempo sells for the young kids, but when you want to fight in MMA, you have to adopt different techniques effective to fighting MMA. 

GSP although he uses a spinning reverse kick, training MUAY THAI with Kru Phil Nurse.  A spinning back fist is part of the muay thai arsenal.  As is a spinning elbow.  Seems GSP has a likening to the superman punch as well. 

How much does Bas teach the Anaconda's now that Sean Thompkins has taken a full time position at Xtreme Couture?  How much did he teach them when he was the head coach?  I was a kempo, tae kwon do participant previously.  I am still an instructor in wing chun.  Do I practice it, NO.  Do I teach it anymore?  NO.  Does it make it bad?  NO.  But you come on here and say that Karate is THE martial art.  Hate to break the news to you, it aint.  It hasn't been for some time.  Were there some EXTREMELY tough SOBs previously?  YES. 

I agree with you on a lot of things, but to say that Karate is the best.  Which YOU HAVE DONE ON NUMEROUS occasions on an MMA board is gonna get you flamed.  So, please if you will, other than Lyoto Machida, who amongst successful MMA fighters today practices karate? 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2007, 09:09:08 PM »
I already explained it to you thoroughly. They all practice karate; they are all highly proficient in it.
It's funny how you seem to think you know more about the fighters than the fighters themselves.
There's no hope for you!

Any athletic, natural fighter, is going to be dangerous with Muay-Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, etc.
You can't however, take a weakling and turn him into a killer.

I got news for you, Bas Rutten, by his own admission, practices katas.
Even in his MMA days.
TEAM REPTILIAN

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »
A decent explanation, but.....

Chuck, although a Kajukenbo (I was a green belt in Kajukembo) black belt, is more of a wrestler, with hands low and inside to block shots.  HE ALWAYS keeps his hands in to get the double underhooks.  His style of loopey punches is set up ON PURPOSE to catch someone when shooting.  Why does John Hacklethorn have kempo as a seperate curriculum outside of his mma program?  Because kempo sells for the young kids, but when you want to fight in MMA, you have to adopt different techniques effective to fighting MMA. 

GSP although he uses a spinning reverse kick, training MUAY THAI with Kru Phil Nurse.  A spinning back fist is part of the muay thai arsenal.  As is a spinning elbow.  Seems GSP has a likening to the superman punch as well. 

How much does Bas teach the Anaconda's now that Sean Thompkins has taken a full time position at Xtreme Couture?  How much did he teach them when he was the head coach?  I was a kempo, tae kwon do participant previously.  I am still an instructor in wing chun.  Do I practice it, NO.  Do I teach it anymore?  NO.  Does it make it bad?  NO.  But you come on here and say that Karate is THE martial art.  Hate to break the news to you, it aint.  It hasn't been for some time.  Were there some EXTREMELY tough SOBs previously?  YES. 

I agree with you on a lot of things, but to say that Karate is the best.  Which YOU HAVE DONE ON NUMEROUS occasions on an MMA board is gonna get you flamed.  So, please if you will, other than Lyoto Machida, who amongst successful MMA fighters today practices karate? 

Agreed, I personally don't think MMA would look too much different than it does right now if you were to remove Karate from it. 
Predictions
 40/61

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2007, 01:59:06 AM »

I am not sure the first line is true.  Collegiate wrestling and Olympics wrestling do not include armbars or any type of choke. The idea is to get the guys shoulders on the mat.  I see more RNC than I see a wrestler trying to keep his opponent on his back.  IN MMA it is better to get back control.  The complete opposite of wrestling.  I don't see much of that in MMA.  The wrestling experience defintiely helps with their jiu-jitsu but thats about it.  It will also help with controlling on the ground but I think jiu-jitsu is the primary ground game not wrestling.  I will be posting the poster from UFC 1.  I think we have it in storage. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2007, 02:15:22 AM »
I am not sure the first line is true.  Collegiate wrestling and Olympics wrestling do not include armbars or any type of choke. The idea is to get the guys shoulders on the mat.  I see more RNC than I see a wrestler trying to keep his opponent on his back.  IN MMA it is better to get back control.  The complete opposite of wrestling.  I don't see much of that in MMA.  The wrestling experience defintiely helps with their jiu-jitsu but thats about it.  It will also help with controlling on the ground but I think jiu-jitsu is the primary ground game not wrestling.  I will be posting the poster from UFC 1.  I think we have it in storage. 

RKBB simply wants to argue.  To say that BJJ is not the primary ground art is silly.  Wrestling is great for takedowns, and control.  BJJ picks up where wrestling leaves off. 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »

JJ is definately superior on the ground but you cant learn from jj the type of bodyweight manipulation ,yours or your opponents, and pure power that comes from wrestling.  Wrestling makes it easier to get to the ground and JJ teaches what to do with them and what to prevent them from doing to you.

Also, as far as the effectiveness of karate is concerned I find it quite telling that karate( including forms and breaking) is not the main form of hand to hand combat taught by the military. 
A