Author Topic: Trade Wars are Good and Easy to Win  (Read 2611 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Trade Wars are Good and Easy to Win
« on: March 02, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
Guess what economic warrior tweeted this today

I'm not really caught up on the history of trade wars

I assume the US has a history of starting these kinds of wars and winning them easily

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Trade Wars are Good and Easy to Win
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
This is the dumbest thing he has done unless its a plan to do something else.  Tarriffs are dumb and anti freedom.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
This is the dumbest thing he has done unless its a plan to do something else.  Tarriffs are dumb and anti freedom.   

I think you're forgetting that he primarily consults with himself and has a good instinct for this stuff and of course he has a very good brain and has said a lot of things

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »
I think you're forgetting that he primarily consults with himself and has a good instinct for this stuff and of course he has a very good brain and has said a lot of things

All this is going to do is raise the prices on automobiles, home goods, computer and tech equipment, etc.  Its beyond economic incompetence to not realize that so many USA companies are going to get wrecked w this and the consumer facing higher costs for many everyday consumer goods. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
All this is going to do is raise the prices on automobiles, home goods, computer and tech equipment, etc.  Its beyond economic incompetence to not realize that so many USA companies are going to get wrecked w this and the consumer facing higher costs for many everyday consumer goods. 

Congress can probably stop him from implementing this.   There is a provision of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 — known as Section 232 — that allows the president to impose unlimited tariffs if a federal investigations determines it poses a threat to national security so I assume there were have to be a federal investigation that comes to this conclusion before this can be implemented.

This will be a good chance for Congress to remind themselves about their "checks and balances" roll in this democratic experiment we've been doing for the last couple of hundred years

Also, will be a good warm up exercise for congress to locate and dust off their balls for for potential impeachment proceedings that may come down the road in the future

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 12:02:42 PM »
Congress can probably stop him from implementing this.   There is a provision of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 — known as Section 232 — that allows the president to impose unlimited tariffs if a federal investigations determines it poses a threat to national security so I assume there were have to be a federal investigation that comes to this conclusion before this can be implemented.

This will be a good chance for Congress to remind themselves about their "checks and balances" roll in this democratic experiment we've been doing for the last couple of hundred years

Also, will be a good warm up exercise for congress to locate and dust off their balls for for potential impeachment proceedings that may come down the road in the future

I thought his reasoning behind the steel/aluminum tariff was a national security issue. Didn't he have an independent investigator make these findings? I thought that was the reason behind the tariff.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »
The Trumpster has been off his rocker the last few weeks. Going to undo a lot of the economic growth by doing this sort of stuff.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »
I thought his reasoning behind the steel/aluminum tariff was a national security issue. Didn't he have an independent investigator make these findings? I thought that was the reason behind the tariff.

I didn't see him make reference to either of these things yesterday but if you have a link to this info please post it and I'll check it out

lilhawk1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 08:45:05 PM »
The stupid fuck was pissed off about Hope Hicks testimony, his dumb ass son in law, and some other shit so he went off unhinged and started a trade war.  What a great president.  He's the biggest fuckin joke the world has ever seen. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »

Ok, this is concerning.. soul crusher said something  i agree with

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 09:17:15 PM »
I lost a butt load of money in the last month because he can't keep his mouth shut

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 06:25:29 AM »
Maybe not the best way to go about solving trade problems, but his country has been screwed by unfair global trade for decades.

There is no manufacturing left in the US and historically that leads to a weak economy. If I have to pay a little more for products to help the US economy, I'm fine with that.

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 07:05:22 AM »

MAGA

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »
I like how Democrats are the party who now openly embrace free trade, war, spying on citizens, egregious censorship.

Trump has all of you twisted around like a pretzel.

He'll win those Rust Belt states by a margin of 2 or 3 points greater now.

The lack of foresight and political strategy from you guys just kills me.

Step it up!

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
I like how Democrats are the party who now openly embrace free trade, war, spying on citizens, egregious censorship.

Trump has all of you twisted around like a pretzel.

He'll win those Rust Belt states by a margin of 2 or 3 points greater now.

The lack of foresight and political strategy from you guys just kills me.

Step it up!

You make a good stand up comedian.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »
I didn't see him make reference to either of these things yesterday but if you have a link to this info please post it and I'll check it out

I believe it was on BBC app. I'll look back through the website and see if I can find it. I believe it talked about whether or not Trump could impose tariffs, and it referenced a reason being if it compromised national security and whoever his investigator was said it was.

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 12:55:49 AM »
Doesn't taxing overseas companies make American companies stronger?  I maybe wrong..just thinking about the strategy ...if American companies are producing more due to demand the price will come down eventually...and it will create more jobs in America...just my 2 cents
real men= no rubbers

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
Doesn't taxing overseas companies make American companies stronger?  I maybe wrong..just thinking about the strategy ...if American companies are producing more due to demand the price will come down eventually...and it will create more jobs in America...just my 2 cents
Unfortunately, that isn't how it has worked throughout history. It creates a monopoly essentially and they can price the product at just below what the overseas product would be (which is more then what it was before). It causes a loss of jobs for those in industries that involve using steel. It might help those who are directly in the steel industry but the amount of those jobs in comparison to the others is not close. Bush tried this already.

We would then pay more for all products involving steel, etc.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 04:12:41 AM »
a

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
I think he is just doing this to get a better deal with NAFTA, which he will do. THe art of the deal.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
I think he is just doing this to get a better deal with NAFTA, which he will do. THe art of the deal.

I said yesterday hopefully is was just a negotiating tactic and it sounds like just that. The markets bounced back

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 09:05:05 PM »

got some ocean front property in Arizona you might be interested in 

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 02:51:34 AM »
a

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 04:23:44 AM »
oh the horror...
a