Author Topic: TSA Removing Nude Scanners  (Read 1722 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
TSA Removing Nude Scanners
« on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Went through one a few months ago and it wasn't all that bad.  Still not thrilled with them.

The Transportation Security Administration confirmed Friday that it will pull the plug on "nude" airport scanners that produce a full body image of the traveler, replacing a technology that has sparked national controversy over privacy and safety.

The TSA told NBC News that it had decided to remove all "backscatter" imaging machines — a total of 174 scanners still in use in 30 airports — by June 1.

The TSA plans to deploy additional "millimeter wave body scanners," which use a generic stick figure as an image, to some of the affected airports while others will just have walk-through metal detectors.

The government began rolling out the backscatter technology in airports after the failed underwear bombing on Christmas Day 2009. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab had concealed plastic explosives in his underwear on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit. He was restrained by other passengers who were also able to put out a fire started in his attempt to detonate the explosives.

The “nude” imaging technology sparked a public outcry and lawsuits charging that the machines constituted an invasion of privacy. Although travelers were allowed to opt-out of the naked body scan, they would then be subjected to a pat-down, which many travelers thought was just as invasive.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/tsa-remove-controversial-full-body-scanners-1B8038882#/travel/tsa-remove-controversial-full-body-scanners-1B8038882

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Re: TSA Removing Nude Scanners
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »
Cancer inducing, dna damaging and pervert-handy power hungry piles of garbage machinery.

Police state must be unmantled. Do your thang Americanz

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:55:15 AM »
huh...never thought I'd agree with ahmed.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
I don't have much issue with it. I don't like flying, I'm actually scared of dying every time I fly, so if I have to be made a little uncomfortable, and am inconvieneced so I don't get blown up, so be it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:54:13 AM »
I don't have much issue with it. I don't like flying, I'm actually scared of dying every time I fly, so if I have to be made a little uncomfortable, and am inconvieneced so I don't get blown up, so be it.
yea... your chances of being in a plane that crashes are much higher than being on a plane with a terrorist and your chances are way higher that you'll die of cancer so I don't know why anyone would be ok increasing radiation even in the slightest amounts just to feel safe lololol...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
I dont think its so much youre afraid of dying but youre afraid of dying in that manner.

You take numerous risks everyday that create a much higher chance of you being killed but youre ok with those.

I think dying in a plane crash would have to be a pretty shitt way to go.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
I dont think its so much youre afraid of dying but youre afraid of dying in that manner.

You take numerous risks everyday that create a much higher chance of you being killed but youre ok with those.

I think dying in a plane crash would have to be a pretty shitt way to go.

Yeah, I'm not afraid to fly but when shit goes down, you're powerless to help or do anything.  And that would suck.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the type of idiot that believes that the "inconvenience" in the kabuki theater that is the TSA checkpoint has anything to do with security... *sigh*

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
went through one yesterday.  they told me to take my belt off.  I didn't and went through anyway.  I do this shit all the time.
TSA =  Joke

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »

Yeah, I'm not afraid to fly but when shit goes down, you're powerless to help or do anything.  And that would suck.
yea you just kinda have to sit there until its over knowing all the time youre hurdling toward earth.