Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 151477 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: A little bit of Gold's Venice
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »
Thanks for that info, Keith. When will we be able to get together with Pete for a good long talk? How bout I meet ya at the LAX and we stop by by his ploace on the way to LV? Make those arrangements for your next trip over.

Hey, LEGBREAKER, the Venice event was AWESOME! I have to admit that I've promoted/officiated more shows than the majority of you guys and gals have ever seen (or deven thought of) and this past Venice event was one of the most memorable of them all.

For obvious reason I'm partial to the military and this was one even where the military presence was most notable. The Marines, the Air Force, the Army were all in attendance and the AF Band was made the hair on my neck stand at full attention.

And while the contestants stood beside the Colors during the National Anthym with the patriotic audiance of at least a couple of thousand joined in and the C-17 flyover in salute ... it was something most Americans never get to experience in a lifetime.

And that was only the beginning.......

Joe did a great job and should be officially commended by someone. In his case I believe that would be the Department of Parks and Recreation, CC of LA.

Stunt,

Why you feel extremely Patriotic is because you yourself was one of the few, the proud.

It's sad because I feel the average joe today is not as patriotic as those who serve/served.  I remember growing up knowing a lot of the elders in the community were extremely patriotic w/o even putting on a uniform or serving in the military.  It was because they were immigrants to the United States, the land of opportunity.  Now a days, here in California we have a lot of Mexican immigrants that raise the Mexican National Flag on their porch, but not the stars & stripes.  Granted, knowing alot of Polish/German/Irish/Italian Americans growing up, they had their flag up too, but next to, along side or below the stars & stripes.

It's a weird time in the United States, especially from what I see here in California.

Semper Fi Marine

btw....last week I had the honor to meet a Marine that was at the Chosin with 1/5.  Here he was happy to know about my piddly experience in Somalia & Kuwait with the whole time I just looked at him in admiration & said "you were at the Chosin?"
His company went over with 223 Marines...came back with 12.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:12 PM »
Stunt,

Why you feel extremely Patriotic is because you yourself was one of the few, the proud.

It's sad because I feel the average joe today is not as patriotic as those who serve/served.  I remember growing up knowing a lot of the elders in the community were extremely patriotic w/o even putting on a uniform or serving in the military.  It was because they were immigrants to the United States, the land of opportunity.  Now a days, here in California we have a lot of Mexican immigrants that raise the Mexican National Flag on their porch, but not the stars & stripes.  Granted, knowing alot of Polish/German/Irish/Italian Americans growing up, they had their flag up too, but next to, along side or below the stars & stripes.

It's a weird time in the United States, especially from what I see here in California.

Semper Fi Marine

btw....last week I had the honor to meet a Marine that was at the Chosin with 1/5.  Here he was happy to know about my piddly experience in Somalia & Kuwait with the whole time I just looked at him in admiration & said "you were at the Chosin?"
His company went over with 223 Marines...came back with 12.

I have known Stunt for about 18 years now.  He is 100% Marine and a very decorated one at that.  I love his war stories.  He had done quite a few very heroic feats while in Vietnam.  He is very well know here in Hawaii.  He is very very patriotic and put his life on the line to prove it.  He has been involved in BB since the 50's.  He has been involved with BB way more than most of you know.  Some guys on here know who he is and knows his background in this industry. His one fault though is he won't tell stories (even if true) that would put someone down.  He has many many stories about thigs that have happened in the NPC and IFBB but just won't tell them. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2007, 12:49:35 AM »

I don't remember his name but he was the muscle man guy who played in the movies and the one I can think of is "The Deep" but he played in allot (Longest Yard too, the old one).  He was the big white guy. 

Robert Tessier he also trained at Vince’s Gym in Studio City. The big black bodybuilder in the deep was Earl Maynard.

How about the first week Gold’s moved to it’s current location in Venice from the 2nd Street location? The move was part of a deal they struck with the studio’s because Tim Kimber and Frank Zane hard parts in Hart-to-Hart which was filmed at the Gym. Many of us got extra work on that episode.

Then there was the day in 1981 that Pete stood in the front of the Gym and told us he was making a comeback and was going to have the top of his head cut off and have a micro-chip installed in his pituitary gland so it would release Growth Hormone unlimitedly. He said he was going to weigh 300 ripped. He was dead serious. Yes as usual he had just smoked a few bowls.

Oh and we can’t forget the time Pete had Rick Wayne in his office. That was the first and only time I ever saw Pete mad and he was beating on his desk ready to kill Rick for writing something derogatory about the gym in Muscle (the predecessor) to Muscle and Fitness). Rick turned three shades of white that day. I never saw Pete that angry before.

And there was the time Pete was with some girl who had also dated Ken Waller. (Her pic is in that group photo in from of the 2nd Street Gym. Pete, the girl, Joe Fustor and I went out for lunch. After lunch we were in Pete’s Rolls Royce and he stops at the park. The girl sees this big dog and starts getting all excited trying to get him to come over and lick her pussy. She starts calling the dog and lifting up her skirt. Pete starts egging her on and doing the famous Peter laugh. The dog wouldn’t come over though so we missed out on the show.   

The World of bodybuilding you don’t hear about in the magazines.   
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2007, 02:47:37 AM »
Robert Tessier he also trained at Vince’s Gym in Studio City. The big black bodybuilder in the deep was Earl Maynard.

How about the first week Gold’s moved to it’s current location in Venice from the 2nd Street location? The move was part of a deal they struck with the studio’s because Tim Kimber and Frank Zane hard parts in Hart-to-Hart which was filmed at the Gym. Many of us got extra work on that episode.

Then there was the day in 1981 that Pete stood in the front of the Gym and told us he was making a comeback and was going to have the top of his head cut off and have a micro-chip installed in his pituitary gland so it would release Growth Hormone unlimitedly. He said he was going to weigh 300 ripped. He was dead serious. Yes as usual he had just smoked a few bowls.

Oh and we can’t forget the time Pete had Rick Wayne in his office. That was the first and only time I ever saw Pete mad and he was beating on his desk ready to kill Rick for writing something derogatory about the gym in Muscle (the predecessor) to Muscle and Fitness). Rick turned three shades of white that day. I never saw Pete that angry before.

And there was the time Pete was with some girl who had also dated Ken Waller. (Her pic is in that group photo in from of the 2nd Street Gym. Pete, the girl, Joe Fustor and I went out for lunch. After lunch we were in Pete’s Rolls Royce and he stops at the park. The girl sees this big dog and starts getting all excited trying to get him to come over and lick her pussy. She starts calling the dog and lifting up her skirt. Pete starts egging her on and doing the famous Peter laugh. The dog wouldn’t come over though so we missed out on the show.   

The World of bodybuilding you don’t hear about in the magazines.   

Dave do you know the story about Robert Blake.  And yes that was his name Robert.  He was a cool guy. 

PORKY

• Getbig III
Re: Golds Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2007, 03:06:03 AM »
Cant you guys try and get some tv station to cover a piece on this matter?In it raise the issue of the place being the hub that started the fitness and bodybuilding movement and needs to be restored/saved for its contribution/ ???historical values.
P

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2007, 09:12:29 AM »
Dave do you know the story about Robert Blake.  And yes that was his name Robert.  He was a cool guy. 

Well I know at one time Robert Blake was also training at Vince's Gym. But no I don't know any other story.
and keep moving!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2007, 12:17:41 PM »
Im glad this is on the main board........now i may become a fan of the history board.

This is our history....you guys are the only ones who can tell it.......Thanks.

CRIS

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »
FWIW on the Gold's topic:

Everyone enjoys talking smack about Louie, and from what I've heard about their experiences, I don't blame them, not at all. Lou and I were always real cool.  He was always courteous and respectful when he spoke to me, and we had a lot of laughs. Louie was a very strong dude, but I was always stronger, and he knew it.

It's funny... a lot, a whole lot, of older girls thought Louie was attractive & sexy (weird, I know) and I would always go out of my way and make sure that Lou signed an autograph for them, and talked to them.

Somewhere, I have some real cool pics of me and Lou and TR training for Louie's combackback @the 1994 Master Olympia.  Most likely those pics are gone, but I'll try to find them.

Tommy

Hey, Tommy, were you featured in that Ferrigno documentary STAND TALL, about his comeback to competition, mainly the 1994 Masters?

And what about IRA BANKOFSKI? What happened to him??
Reservations at Dorsia ?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2007, 01:16:46 PM »

Thanks for that info, Keith. When will we be able to get together with Pete for a good long talk? How bout I meet ya at the LAX and we stop by by his place on the way to LV? Make those arrangements for your next trip over.

Stuntmovie... my business partner and I went out to Pete's and had dinner with him and his wife in December. What a great time. As you know, Pete's a riot to hang out with. Man the guy has some stories, cars and great idea's. I think his wife was pleased to learn about some of Pete's earlier days. I've never seen anyone eat as much food as Pete. I mean fish and veggies rice. We were long done and he kept filling his plate and eating every bit of it. And the guy is lean. It's not like a 300 pounder who you expect to eat a lot. He's about 170 now. 61 years old, 25 year old hot wife and a 1 year old baby... Pete knows how to live.
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »
Stuntmovie... my business partner and I went out to Pete's and had dinner with him and his wife in December. What a great time. As you know, Pete's a riot to hang out with. Man the guy has some stories, cars and great idea's. I think his wife was pleased to learn about some of Pete's earlier days. I've never seen anyone eat as much food as Pete. I mean fish and veggies rice. We were long done and he kept filling his plate and eating every bit of it. And the guy is lean. It's not like a 300 pounder who you expect to eat a lot. He's about 170 now. 61 years old, 25 year old hot wife and a 1 year old baby... Pete knows how to live.

Just off to the other side of the island but wanted to post.  Yes NO ONE eats more than Pete.  I told the story about us in Hilo with the Barbarian Brothers at a buffet and me and twins can eat and we were so full we unbuttoned our pants and just sat back.  Pete cleaned off our plates and ate a couple more times.  When me and Pete would eat at Roys on Oahu our bill was typically $500 or more for food just the two of us.  He definitely likes to make sure you are full whe you eat with him.  How did you like the red 961 Porsche in his garage.  He almost sold that to me but decided to keep it.  That car dyno tested at about 210 mph.  He spends allot time in Mexico where his place is just beautiful he had built.

I helped him get his wife.  He wanted to take her out but her mom wanted to be with them.  So he asked me to go out with her mom ad keep her busy.  So I did.  He still owes me for that one

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2007, 02:16:52 PM »
Great wife considering the dumps Pete must be taking. :-X

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »

Good action ;D. I'd bet there's only one former top-ranked pro bodybuilder, in the entire world, that has a better life than Pete.
a

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2007, 03:46:54 PM »
Yea, Pete and dining well. And he wants you to enjoy your meal and eat much as you can handle.

When I go out to eat, I am always satisfied with one entre off the menu, but when you go out with Pete, one entre is just the start. He always wants you to order another full meal off the menu if you enjoyed the first one. And he always picks up the tab.

I was there with you and Pete at Roy's in Hawaii once, Keith. We dined well and ate lots that nite.

And speaking of "dining", how many of your guys remember the favorite dining spots of the old Gold's Gym members (and World Gym too)?

Here's my attempt to refresh your memory .....

The Swedish Smorgasboard around the cornor from the 2nd Street location in Santa Monica? This was within a two block walking distance of Gold's and was no bigger than  600 square feet and offered a great (but relatively small) Swedish buffet for lunch and dinner got less than $10 each. Back then all the gym rats had to eat huge portions and that habit eventully put that great place and the nice elderly Swedish couple out of business.

Zucky's? One great Kosher coffee shop a couple of blocks north and about three streets east of the 2nd street location. It's still there but closed and boarded up. The standard place for most of the guys to have a great lunch and dinner. Great sandwiches and  phenominal Jewish Chicken Soup that was guaranteed to knock any sickness out of your system. Arnold always seemed to have a table in the back.

The German's?  This place was on the main road (Pacific) in Venice and was run by some religious group of former hippies or something like that. Their specialty was the Dozen Eggs Omlete for about $3 and a huge bowl of strawberrys for even less.  Always full of bodybuilders. My last meal there was with Eddie Corney when he discussed the possibility of retirement from the sport.

Tony Roma's in Santa Monica? Just up the street from the 2nd street location. Joe Nazzario worked the front door and this could just possibly have been the first Tony Roma location. (Not sure about that though.) Joe invited us there for dinner and it was impressive with white table cloths and a live piano player playing dinner tunes. Great ribs and if I recall right, it was less than $5. Anyone still in contact with Joe?

And today we have the Firehouse where you can meet more bodybuilders than a week of visits to Gold's on Hampton.

Am I overlooking any?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2007, 03:51:25 PM »
Tommy, Keith, Max Rep, if Pete gives me the approval I think I would like to have; I'll tell you the story how and why Pete headed west from Rochester. Pete told it to me personally and some of you may already know it, but I think it is one of the highlights in "historical bodybuilding tales" and would make one hell of a great episode in the Gold's Gym movie which should be made someday.

Only problem being that you would never be able to find the stars that would be capable of playing these principal characters on the silver screen.

It all started with a bar called "Elliot's Nest" ......

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
Tommy, Keith, if Pete gives me the approval I think I would like to have; I'll tell you the story how and why Pete headed west from Rochester. Pete told it to me personally and some of you may already know it, but I think it is one of the highlights in "historical bodybuilding tales" and would make one hell of a great episode in the Gold's Gym movie which should be made someday.

Only problem being that you would never be able to find the stars that would be capable of playing these principal characters on the silver screen.

It all started with a bar called "Elliot's Nest" ......

I want to know now!!! ;D   Im checking this thread every hour..... ;D

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2007, 04:32:26 PM »
Oh, man that red 961 is sweet. The guys got a million dollars worth of cars sitting in his driveway.

How about the Swedish Inn Smorgisboard that was on Lincoln Ave up the hill in Westchester. Waller and Tony got banned for eating to much. And Monday night all you can eat chicket at Dinah's on Sepeulveda. Everyone would be there. I remember Roger Collard used to love the place.

I used to go hang out at Elliot's Nest in Rochester with Pete. One time it was a week-night not to many people around. There was a Rock band and the music was really loud. Pete has this guy (I mentioned this story and he remembered the guy's name) working with Pete who looked like Luca Brazzi from the Godfather. Pete goes... David come on outside and let us show you something. We go out to Pete's Lincoln, he opens the trunk and pulls out two Tommy Guns. The guy and his shart shooting into the Gennesee River... Pete's laughing like crazy the music is drowning out the noise. Crazy Pete. Ya gotta love the guy. 

I wasn't actually at Elliot's Nest when the famous "incident" happened though.

What about Pete's high school friend "the Moran"?
and keep moving!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »
Hey, Keith, what happened on your 'date' with the mother of Pete's wife? Nothing wrong with older women.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2007, 06:33:35 PM »
Oh, man that red 961 is sweet. The guys got a million dollars worth of cars sitting in his driveway.

How about the Swedish Inn Smorgisboard that was on Lincoln Ave up the hill in Westchester. Waller and Tony got banned for eating to much. And Monday night all you can eat chicket at Dinah's on Sepeulveda. Everyone would be there. I remember Roger Collard used to love the place.

I used to go hang out at Elliot's Nest in Rochester with Pete. One time it was a week-night not to many people around. There was a Rock band and the music was really loud. Pete has this guy (I mentioned this story and he remembered the guy's name) working with Pete who looked like Luca Brazzi from the Godfather. Pete goes... David come on outside and let us show you something. We go out to Pete's Lincoln, he opens the trunk and pulls out two Tommy Guns. The guy and his shart shooting into the Gennesee River... Pete's laughing like crazy the music is drowning out the noise. Crazy Pete. Ya gotta love the guy. 

I wasn't actually at Elliot's Nest when the famous "incident" happened though.

What about Pete's high school friend "the Moran"?

GOD The Moron.  That guy is absolutely NUTS.  He lives in Vegas in an apartment that Petes has been paying for 20 years or so.  At least I still think so.  He went out to dinner with us to a fancy Italian restaurant in Vegas.  He kept acting so weird and making the weirdest noises.  We were laughing so hard at this guy.  Pete always told me stories about him and no way did I believe him.  Then I met the guy and I am pretty sure every story was true.  Joe Magione was with us and he seemed calm compared to The Moron, and Joe was really nuts.  One day when me and Pete owned the Hawaiian Hardbodies we were doing a photo shoot with about 20 bikini models at Diamond Head along the drive.  The girls were in thongs playing in the trees and acting like monkeys.  So many cars would pass by and hold up traffic.  Joe would go out there and try to charge them $20 to watch.  Or he'd say "Get the Fuck Along"  The cops came by and then another cop and then another cop and we ended up with about 8 or so cops watching up shoot and directing traffic.  Imagine me, Pete ad Joe together with 20 bikini models all the time.  It was great.  Me and Pete were talking about it just a couple days ago how much money we could have made with the Hawaiian Hardbodies.  But, Pete was spending too much with me and them and Ed got a little pissed and said that was enough, Gold's Gym in the priority and we had to stop everything.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2007, 07:46:21 PM »
This pic may be to small........  Look at pete in the blue tank....MONSTER.

I can name all but 5 of the guys to the extreme right......who do you see.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2007, 07:48:17 PM »
Sorry i meant to the left...not right... ;D

Champion

• Getbig II
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2007, 08:19:07 PM »
Sorry i meant to the left...not right... ;D

Mike Mentzer is making Tom Platz look bad at the right.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2007, 08:24:57 PM »
Real cool old school postcard/poster. I love that my friend Kent Kuehn, is looking real big (standing, blue Golds tank top, hands clasp in front).

Pete G also looks huge, kneeing in front, and Danny Padilla's arms look monsterous.
a

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2007, 08:54:06 PM »
Real cool old school postcard/poster. I love that my friend Kent Kuehn, is looking real big (standing, blue Golds tank top, hands clasp in front).

Pete G also looks huge, kneeing in front, and Danny Padilla's arms look monsterous.

I just scanned that from one of my old mags.  I was amazed at kents size also...dude is bringing it. 8)

I may start a pic thread on history board and scan in old pics and articles from the late 70s early 80s....what you think, should i??

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »

I just scanned that from one of my old mags.  I was amazed at kents size also...dude is bringing it. 8)

I may start a pic thread on history board and scan in old pics and articles from the late 70s early 80s....what you think, should i??

8) cool idea. Over the years I gave all my mags to Gold's Venice, for the upstairs library. I still never figured out what happened to all those mags & books.

T-
a

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »

man, i wish i was there living that life, old school baby..... not like today, b.s... it's going underground now
are you delusional?