Author Topic: The Origin of Life on Earth According to the Theory of Evolution  (Read 83741 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
Re: The Origin of Life on Earth According to the Theory of Evolution
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2009, 08:04:07 AM »
Richard Dawkins: "A higher intelligence from elsewhere in the universe" possibly designed and seeded a form of life into this planet.

still missing the point,doctored video also.

the whole documentary is a sham.

the proponents of "goo" are rational and realize that we have never found a supernatural explanation for anything, thus it is logical to conclude there likely isn't. On top of that saying god did it explains nothing and further complicates the scenario, why do you not see that?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »
still missing the point,doctored video also.

the whole documentary is a sham.

the proponents of "goo" are rational and realize that we have never found a supernatural explanation for anything, thus it is logical to conclude there likely isn't. On top of that saying god did it explains nothing and further complicates the scenario, why do you not see that?

Necrosis,
This particular video is not doctored.  After this got out, Richard Dawkins rushed to his website with some lame, drawn out excuse to explain to his fans what he meant, and to deny that he really believes what he himself claimed on the video.  See below. 

Notice how he does not deny anything he said on the video, while conveniently leaving out certain things he did say, like him saying that we can probably find evidence of a "designer" in our DNA. 

Richard Dawkins:
"Toward the end of his interview with me, Stein asked whether I could think of any circumstances whatsoever under which intelligent design might have occurred. It's the kind of challenge I relish, and I set myself the task of imagining the most plausible scenario I could. I wanted to give ID its best shot, however poor that best shot might be. I must have been feeling magnanimous that day, because I was aware that the leading advocates of Intelligent Design are very fond of protesting that they are not talking about God as the designer, but about some unnamed and unspecified intelligence, which might even be an alien from another planet. Indeed, this is the only way they differentiate themselves from fundamentalist creationists, and they do it only when they need to, in order to weasel their way around church/state separation laws. So, bending over backwards to accommodate the IDiots ("oh NOOOOO, of course we aren't talking about God, this is SCIENCE") and bending over backwards to make the best case I could for intelligent design, I constructed a science fiction scenario. ... I patiently explained to him that life could conceivably have been seeded on Earth by an alien intelligence from another planet (Francis Crick and Leslie Orgel suggested something similar -- semi tongue-in-cheek). The conclusion I was heading towards was that, even in the highly unlikely event that some such 'Directed Panspermia' was responsible for designing life on this planet, the alien beings would THEMSELVES have to have evolved, if not by Darwinian selection, by some equivalent 'crane' (to quote Dan Dennett). My point here was that design can never be an ULTIMATE explanation for organized complexity. Even if life on Earth was seeded by intelligent designers on another planet, and even if the alien life form was itself seeded four billion years earlier, the regress must ultimately be terminated (and we have only some 13 billion years to play with because of the finite age of the universe). Organized complexity cannot just spontaneously happen. That, for goodness sake, is the creationists' whole point, when they bang on about eyes and bacterial flagella! Evolution by natural selection is the only known process whereby organized complexity can ultimately come into being. Organized complexity -- and that includes everything capable of designing anything intelligently -- comes LATE into the universe. It cannot exist at the beginning, as I have explained again and again in my writings.

This 'Ultimate 747' argument, as I called it in The God Delusion, may or may not persuade you. That is not my concern here. My concern here is that my science fiction thought experiment -- however implausible -- was designed to illustrate intelligent design's closest approach to being plausible. I was most emphatically NOT saying that I believed the thought experiment. Quite the contrary. I do not believe it (and I don't think Francis Crick believed it either). I was bending over backwards to make the best case I could for a form of intelligent design. And my clear implication was that the best case I could make was a very implausible case indeed. In other words, I was using the thought experiment as a way of demonstrating strong opposition to all theories of intelligent design.

Well, you will have guessed how Mathis/Stein handled this. I won't get the exact words right (we were forbidden to bring in recording devices on pain of a $250,000 fine, chillingly announced by some unnamed Gauleiter before the film began), but Stein said something like this. "What? Richard Dawkins BELIEVES IN INTELLIGENT DESIGN." "Richard Dawkins BELIEVES IN ALIENS FROM OUTER SPACE." I can't remember whether this was the moment in the film where we were regaled with another Lord Privy Seal cut to an old science fiction movie with some kind of android figure — that may have been used in the service of trying to ridicule Francis Crick (again, dutiful titters from the partisan audience)."

http://richarddawkins.net/article,2394,Lying-for-Jesus,Richard-Dawkins

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2011, 11:55:17 AM »
Richard Dawkins: "A higher intelligence from elsewhere in the universe" possibly designed and seeded a form of life into this planet.

Bump.  If you haven't watched this clip, please do.  Avowed atheist Richard Dawkins says no one knows how life on earth originated, but that the seed could have been planted here by a "higher intelligence." 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »
Bump.  If you haven't watched this clip, please do.  Avowed atheist Richard Dawkins says no one knows how life on earth originated, but that the seed could have been planted here by a "higher intelligence." 

ive seen the whole movie, dawkins is saying that it is possible life was engineered on earth by other beings who themselves a product of evolution and natural causes. He never, ever states that it is a supernatural being nor god, what does your quote prove? It proves he is rational, willingly to admit when he does not know something, entertain possibilities but not jump to conclusions.

could life have been made on earth? he answered the question with a truthful rational response.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »
ive seen the whole movie, dawkins is saying that it is possible life was engineered on earth by other beings who themselves a product of evolution and natural causes. He never, ever states that it is a supernatural being nor god, what does your quote prove? It proves he is rational, willingly to admit when he does not know something, entertain possibilities but not jump to conclusions.

could life have been made on earth? he answered the question with a truthful rational response.

Necrosis he said a civilization could have evolved from some Darwinian means somewhere in the universe and then planted the seeds of life on earth.  Do you agree with him?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »

Ben Stein: What do think is the possibility that there then, intelligent design might turn out to be the answer to some issues in genetics... or in evolution?

Richard Dawkins: Well... it could come about in the following way: it could be that uh, at some earlier time somewhere in the universe a civilization e-evolved... by probably by some kind of Darwinian means to a very very high level of technology and designed a form of life that they seeded onto... perhaps this... this planet. Um, now that is a possibility. And uh, an intriguing possibility. And I suppose it's possible that you might find evidence for that if you look at the um, at the detail... details of our chemistry molecular biology you might find a signature of some sort of designer.

Ben Stein: [voice over] Wait a second. Richard Dawkins thought intelligent design might be a legitimate pursuit?

Richard Dawkins: Um, and that designer could well be a higher intelligence from elsewhere in the universe. But that higher intelligence would itself would have to come about by some explicable or ultimately explicable process. It couldn't have just jumped into existence spontaneously. That's the point.

Ben Stein: [voice over] So professor Dawkins was not against intelligent design, just certain types of designers. Such as God.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
Necrosis he said a civilization could have evolved from some Darwinian means somewhere in the universe and then planted the seeds of life on earth.  Do you agree with him?

no i dont agree with him, abiogenesis is a very complex topic, he is not an expert in the field.

Loco:

suggesting something inside the universe is ok, once you suggest something outside the universe you are now speculating and spitting conjecture. I still see no problem with his statement, not sure what is so hard to grasp, he is still referring to natural beings, not a god.

Also, the comprehension of the above is poor as well, he said "could have". The question was posed about intelligent design and he gave the only plausible answer if it were possible.

Again, nothing of substance in that interview, just people getting excited over nothing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
Bump.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: October 29, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »
Bump.

what are your objections to my rebuttal? do you realize this documentary is terrible and has many lies right. But once i show you this you will just mentally move on and cling to something else, show some strength man. There is no sky daddy, evolution is a fact, just be fine with not knowing the answers and the possibility that this is it, that this is life.

Here, observe the lies in this documentary

richard sternberg, the guy who claims he was expelled: hint he lied and is a liar

The first question asked by BSW members was “how did this paper ever get published?” According to the Council of the Biological Society of Washington, Sternberg failed to follow proper procedure in publishing the paper: “Contrary to typical editorial practices, the paper was published without review by any associate editor; Sternberg handled the entire review process. The Council, which includes officers, elected councilors, and past presidents, and the associate editors would have deemed the paper inappropriate for the pages of the Proceedings because the subject matter represents such a significant departure from the nearly purely systematic content for which this journal has been known throughout its 122-year history.” The BSW withdrew the paper in embarrassment, emphasizing that the paper was substandard science. It commented that the society endorsed “a resolution on ID published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2002/1106id2.shtml), which observes that there is no credible scientific evidence supporting ID as a testable hypothesis to explain the origin of organic diversity. Accordingly, the Meyer paper does not meet the scientific standards of the Proceedings.”

Pamela winnick

So Winnick was advocating intelligent design. Even so, this sounds like a poor basis for being blacklisted as a journalist – but there is no evidence that this ever happened. As a supposedly “blacklisted” reporter, Winnick continued to write for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette until August 2002, almost two years after she began her supposedly career-ending articles on intelligent design; she continues to write occasional guest columns for them (including an anti-evolution opinion piece in December 2005), and has written recent articles for the Weekly Standard and the Wall Street Journal.

She also wrote a book, A Jealous God: Science’s Crusade Against Religion, published in 2005, which was described by the foundation funding her research as “analyzing why there seems to be little tolerance for teaching creationism in America.” The book received a negative review from a writer at her previous employer, the Post-Gazette – which nonetheless still publishes her work.

anyway every single person in the video is a liar, a fraud a self serving moron. Ben stein knows nothing about evolution. here are his claims debunked. he is a moron

The Claim
Large numbers of scientists are secretly questioning evolution. “One on one, in a scientific meeting, after the third or fourth beer, my experience has been that many evolutionary biologists will say, “Yeah, this theory’s got a lot of problems.” (Paul Nelson, Expelled)

The Facts
For a movie obsessed with evolution, it is odd that Expelled never bothers to define evolution properly. The big idea of biological evolution is that living things have common ancestors: that they have descended with modification from earlier forms. To understand evolution, we have to study the pattern that the branching tree of life has taken through time as well as the processes or mechanisms that bring about the changes. It is well documented by statements from scientific societies large and small (see Voices for Evolution) that scientists no longer feel any need to debate whether evolution took place; what they are doing now is working out the details. Scientists agree that natural selection, genetic drift, gene flow, genetic recombination, mutation, and symbiosis are major evolutionary processes, but they continue to debate the relative importance of each mechanism to the history and diversity of life. Similarly, scientists agree on the basic contours of the tree of life, although they continue to refine and revise the picture in detail in the light of further data and theory.

Expelled confuses the debates among scientists about the details of evolution – how it works and what descended from what – with a nonexistent dispute about whether evolution occurred. This approach plays into the conspiracy theme of the movie: somehow, scientists are scheming to keep the unwary public from learning the truth about the supposed falsity of evolution. Science, however, rewards dissent and independence of thought – when it has a solid base. Scientists are an independent lot who find success and professional advancement by successfully overturning established ideas and through vigorously debating the evidence supporting scientific interpretations in scientific conferences and journals. The thought that anyone could herd them together to conspire against anything – even intelligent design – is laughable. One may as well conspire to herd a roomful of cats.

The Claim
“When we see an elite – and it is an elite – an elite that controls essentially all the research money in science saying ‘There is no such thing as moral truth, science will not be related to religion.’ I mean, it’s essentially official policy at the National Academy of Sciences, that religion and science will not be related.” (Jeffrey Schwartz, Expelled)

The Facts
Expelled claims that an atheistic, amoral scientific elite is barring the door to the consideration of ideas like intelligent design that include a religious component. Yet scientists who are religious also perform science without bringing God in as part of their theories. Scientific theories do not include God because scientific theories must be tested. Testing requires holding constant some variables, and no one can “control” God; therefore, scientific explanations are restricted to the natural causes that are testable. All scientists work this way, whether they are religious or nonreligious. This is a practical restriction on what science can do, not a philosophical or moral restriction imposed by some elite.

The implication that the National Academy of Sciences is anti-religious is equally absurd. In 2008, their booklet Science, Evolution, and Creationism answers the question “Aren’t evolution and religion opposing ideas?” by writing:

Newspaper and television stories sometimes make it seem as though evolution and religion are incompatible, but that is not true. Many scientists and theologians have written about how one can accept both faith and the validity of biological evolution. Many past and current scientists who have made major contributions to our understanding of the world have been devoutly religious. At the same time, many religious people accept the reality of evolution, and many religious denominations have issued emphatic statements reflecting this acceptance.

The Claim
“If Darwin wanted to challenge the consensus today, how would he do it? Science is not a hobby for rich aristocrats anymore, it’s a multi-million-dollar industry. And if you want a piece of the pie, you’ve got to be a good comrade.” (Ben Stein, Expelled).

The Facts
New scientific views challenge the consensus all the time. Is intelligent design being kept out of the scientific consensus because of some “old boy” network that requires scientists to “go along to get along?” Hardly. New scientific ideas do get a hearing – that is how a scientist makes a reputation, after all.

In the 1980s and 1990s, Carl Woese proposed a radical rearrangement of the evolutionary tree of life, splitting bacteria into two groups and dividing life into three “domains,” rather than the traditional five kingdoms. As he produced new evidence for this approach, his colleagues began to apply his ideas in their own papers. When it became accepted within the scientific community, textbook authors rewrote the chapters on the classification of life, and college professors and high school teachers were glad to modify their lesson plans.

Darwinian evolution and Mendelian genetics both went through a similar process, as did Einstein’s theories of special and general relativity, plate tectonics, Big Bang cosmology, and the atomic theory. We have cataloged a number of recent biological theories that faced intense criticism, surviving and becoming well-accepted and acclaimed, and then were incorporated into pre-college textbooks and curricula.

Thus far, intelligent design hasn’t made a scientific case that its proposals help us understand nature, and the ideas have not generated the sort of research which led Woese’s ideas to wide acceptance. Protestations in Expelled to the contrary, scientists knowledgeable about relevant subject areas have critiqued intelligent design – it has not merely been waved away without consideration (see reviews of classic intelligent design statements like Michael Behe’s Darwin’s Black Box and William Dembski’s The Design Inference) The burden of proof is upon intelligent design advocates to show through scientific research that intelligent design is a useful scientific proposition. If they did, the science-funding agency review panels would gladly fund such research. As things stand now, intelligent design can be considered neither scientific nor useful for understanding nature.

There has been a history of promissory notes from intelligent design proponents, but where is the actual research? Here we can agree with intelligent design proponent Stephen C. Meyer when he says, “The debate isn’t going to be settled by numbers, it’s going to be settled by the evidence and the arguments.” But these arguments must be made to the scientific community, not to the movie-going public.

Expelled makes so many erroneous claims about the science of evolution that it would require several movies to correct the record. Whenever Ben Stein talks about evolution, the viewer should remember that actor-pundits are not known for their scientific training. There simply is not time to correct so much misinformation, but www.expelledexposed.com would like to set the record straight on at least some examples.

The Claim
“Darwinism also has not one meaningful word to say on the origins of organic life, a striking lacuna in a theory supposedly explaining life”. (Ben Stein, Darwinism: The Imperialism of Biology, on Expelled The Movie blog.)

The Facts
Darwin wasn’t trying to explain the origin of life; you could just as easily complain that the theory of island biogeography doesn’t explain the origin of islands. Darwin himself says, in the Origin of Species, “It is no valid objection that science as yet throws no light on the far higher problem of the essence or origin of life” (Darwin, Charles. The Origin of Species. 6th edition, 1882. p. 421). (On the same page, Darwin notes, “Great is the power of steady misrepresentation.” Here, at least, is one place where the makers of Expelled apparently agree with Darwin.)

Darwin was writing 150 years ago. We no more expect modern evolutionary theory to be dependent on what Darwin knew in the 19th century than we expect modern physics to be dependent on what Lord Kelvin knew then. In the 20th and 21st centuries there has been significant research into the origin of life, which Ben Stein would have realized if he had interviewed a scientist who works in the area, or even searched for “origin of life” on the internet.

Rather than consulting a researcher on the origin of life, Expelled instead consults a historian and philosopher of science, Michael Ruse, who tries his best – amid numerous sneering interruptions – to convey a layman-friendly explanation of a complicated theory devised by A. G. Cairns-Smith. This theory suggests that the lattice-like nature of clay crystals could form a template of sorts for the lattice-like structure of organic molecules that eventually produced the heredity information RNA and DNA. Rather than honestly presenting an intriguing scientific idea that is being actively researched, Expelled instead ridicules Michael Ruse for suggesting “joyriding crystals,” clearly a silly and bizarre idea. But how does this theory sound when described by people who are actively pursuing related research?

In his 2005 book Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life’s Origin, scientist Robert Hazen observes about Cairns-Smith that:

The crux of his argument rests on a simple analogy. Cairns-Smith likens the origin of life to the construction of a stone archway, with its carefully fitted blocks and crucial construction central keystone that locks the whole structure in place. But an arch cannot be built simply by piling one stone atop another. “The answer,” he says, “is with a scaffolding of some kind.” A simple support structure facilitates the construction and can then be removed. “I think this must have been the way our amazingly ‘arched’ biochemistry was built in the first place,” he wrote in a Scientific American article in 1985. “The parts that now lean together surely used to lean on something else—something low tech.” That something, he suggests, was a clay mineral.

Hazen then presents a number of testable hypotheses arising from this approach to the origin of life, noting that research into the ways that clay crystals interact with organic molecules has yielded scientific insights which improve the production of pharmaceuticals. Hazen emphasizes that the clay lattice theory is not the only one available for the origin of life, and that there are a number of viable ideas being tested by chemists, geologists and biologists right now.

This ongoing research draws on evolutionary ideas, and Ben Stein could have interviewed those researchers if he wanted to. Nonetheless, answers to questions about the origin of life are no more necessary to understand the diversity of life today than such an understanding is necessary to treat cancer, or to understand the emergence of new strains of the flu virus. But Expelled is more interested in ridiculing science than in presenting it honestly.

The Claim
Natural selection is inadequate to produce complicated things which require the infusion of some sort of “information” unavailable from natural processes. “But natural selection reduces genetic information and we know this from all the genetic operation studies that we have”. (Maciej Giertych, Expelled)

The Facts
Intelligent design advocates spend a great deal of time discussing “information,” yet rarely define the term. Natural selection reduces genetic variability, which can indeed be used as a measure of information, but to say then that selection therefore cannot produce complex structures demonstrates a basic misunderstanding of how natural selection works.

In addition, while natural selection reduces variability, and may even remove traits from a population entirely, it is not the only evolutionary mechanism. Genetic mutations, gene flow, genetic exchange from symbiotic organisms, genetic recombination, and neutral genetic drift all play important roles in evolutionary processes, and anyone who attempts to explain the complexity of life without considering all of these processes is presenting a one-sided and fundamentally inaccurate account of evolution.

The Claim
Intelligent design proponents are on the verge of making great new discoveries because they are applying the concept of design to complex biological structures, and gaining new insights. For example, Ben Stein says in Expelled, “Jonathan Wells is also making progress using intelligent design theory in his research on cancer.”

The Facts
Expelled uses the term “design” equivocally. The film regards a complicated cellular structure composed of many interacting parts as similar to a human machine that also is made of many interacting parts. Because the machine requires an intelligent human to assemble these parts to make a functioning product, Expelled infers that the cellular structure also required an intelligent agent to plan it and put it together. “Design” in this sense refers to a “purposeful assemblage of parts,” implying both function and origin. But scientists commonly speak of the “design” of structures in an informal sense of “parts working together to produce a function”; they might say, for example, that the elongated wrist bones of a deer are designed to allow the deer to run fast. The study of structure and function is common in medical and other biological research; there is much utility in finding out how something works. This research can be done – and ordinarily is done – without making any assumptions of “design” in the intelligent design sense: that there needs to be a guiding hand purposefully assembling those parts.

Jonathan Wells’s research on the function of centrioles in cell division is directly in this tradition, and does not require an assumption of an intelligent agent to determine the structure and function of these cellular components. Although Wells presents intelligent design as an important precursor guiding his discovery, in actuality it is an add-on. Even if he is right about the relationship of centrioles to broken chromosomes to cancer – and it seems likely that he is not – to say that intelligent design provides unique insight into cancer research is, to put it mildly, stretching things.

And contrary to what the movie would have you believe, evolution – common ancestry – is often of considerable assistance when researchers are investigating structure and function. By looking at the same structure – for instance the whip-like tail of a bacterium, called a flagellum – across several related species, scientists can discover similarities and differences that help them more fully understand the workings of complex structures. This paradigm has been much more fruitful than one that suggests an intelligent agent produced complex biological structures as a “purposeful arrangement of parts”.

Read More
New Scientist: Evolution: 24 myths and misconceptions
TalkOrigins FAQs on the origin of life

ANYTHING ELSE?

seriously lets have a rational discussion, if you are wrong admit as much, dont defend your point because of pride, its obvious this movie is pure bunk, everyone who was involved is distancing themselves, the rights sold etc... its shit.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: October 29, 2011, 09:21:42 AM »
On macro evolution or speciation

Ben Stein says …

And aside from modification within species, I don’t think anyone has ever been able to prove one species that evolved by Darwinian means. It’s incomprehensible to me how Darwinism could explain something as complex as the organic cell, and it’s incomprehensible to me how Darwinism could explain how life began. And they don’t even try. – interview with Christianity Today, April 15, 2008

Despite the fact that no one has ever been able to prove the creation of a single distinct species by Darwinist means, Darwinism dominates the academy and the media. – “Darwinism: The imperialism of biology?” article posted by Baptist Press on April 4, 2008

And I was just overwhelmed by the fact, at least as I am told, that Darwinists have never observed natural species being originated. – interview with CNS News, January 17, 2008

and Cris Waller answers

Well, Ben, you were told wrong. Even though it’s difficult to observe species evolving, because it normally happens on a timescale much larger than what humans would notice, it has been observed not just once, but many times.

A recent example of observation of evolution by “Darwinian means” is the incredibly quick evolution of Italian wall lizards on the isle of Pod Mrcaru, as detailed by National Geographic. In 1971, researchers introduced five pairs of lizards to the island. Thirty-seven years later, there are over 5000 lizards on the island, all descended, according to DNA testing, from the original ten lizards. In this amazingly short time period, the originally insectivorous lizards evolved adaptations to a vegetarian diet, stronger jaws, and a different social structure. They are well on their way to becoming a different species entirely.

Some other examples:

The apple maggot fly originally parasitized native hawthorns. When other members of the rose family, such as apples, were introduced to the Americas, some flies parasitized them. These flies now have different genes and breeding cycles from the original flies and are well on their way to becoming a separate species.
Geographically-isolated populations of the ensatina salamander of California have been shown by DNA analysis to be splitting into several different species of salamanders.
So yes, speciation has been observed. Sorry, Ben, just because it’s incomprehensible to you doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen. Time to stop being overwhelmed, Ben, and start learning some real science. Maybe you should start using some of those eyedrops you peddled to open your eyes a bit wider so that you can see the world as it really is.

and Kevin Miklasz adds

We normally regard animals that look very different as different species, for example lions and tigers. The creation of a new species is often perceived as turning a cat into a dog. Disregarding Nickelodeon television, a catdog is extremely hard to find.

The reason for the difficulty is simple: this isn’t how new species form. A species means something very specific to a biologist: reproductive isolation, or the inability of two groups to interbreed. A new species is “created” when one group of interbreeding animals splits into two separate interbreeding groups. Once these animals are reproductively isolated, they evolve features and adaptations separately, since new features introduced into group A will spread by heredity throughout group A but not group B. A buildup of such features creates two groups of animals that look very different, the familiar situation.

So to the question. Do we observe new species forming through reproductive isolation, the “Darwinist means”? For most familiar animals, this process happens over thousands of years, so that observing the process from start to completion is very difficult. But some organisms evolve very quickly due to short lifespans, such as fruit flies. When two groups of fruit flies were grown in different conditions for 45 generations, the groups became reproductively isolated (see Steve Palumbi, The Evolution Explosion, New York: W. W. Norton, 2001, pp. 22–23). What was one species is now two, the total number has increased and a new species has been created. Contrary to Ben Stein, we have observed the formation of new species through Darwinist means.

just go to exposedexposed to review all the rebuttals its funny as hell.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: October 29, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
what are your objections to my rebuttal? do you realize this documentary is terrible and has many lies right. But once i show you this you will just mentally move on and cling to something else, show some strength man. There is no sky daddy, evolution is a fact, just be fine with not knowing the answers and the possibility that this is it, that this is life.

Rebuttal to what?  Not sure what you're talking about? 

I watched the documentary.  I liked it.  I particularly found Dawkins comments about the origin of life to be pretty entertaining.  He has the same problem you and others have who cling to unproved theories like members of some religious cult:  can't acknowledge simple facts.  There is no scientific explanation for the origin of life on earth.  Nothing has been proved in that regard.  I haven't gone back through the thread, but I don't think a single person in this thread even offered an opinion on how life originated on earth.  From what I recall, the closest someone came was pointing to a computer-generated math model, or something like that. 

There is a gaping hole in our history.  What happened on day 1?  And where is the proof?   

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: October 29, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »
Rebuttal to what?  Not sure what you're talking about? 

I watched the documentary.  I liked it.  I particularly found Dawkins comments about the origin of life to be pretty entertaining.  He has the same problem you and others have who cling to unproved theories like members of some religious cult:  can't acknowledge simple facts.  There is no scientific explanation for the origin of life on earth.  Nothing has been proved in that regard.  I haven't gone back through the thread, but I don't think a single person in this thread even offered an opinion on how life originated on earth.  From what I recall, the closest someone came was pointing to a computer-generated math model, or something like that. 

There is a gaping hole in our history.  What happened on day 1?  And where is the proof?   

to the mis representation of what dawkins was saying, he said nothing about gods and his explanation or possible explanation is logical and natural.

he doesnt deal with abiogenesis, there are many theories for example we do know that life can form naturally look at the miller-urey experiment. Also, autocatalysis is another theory that is a possible explanation. I'm nothing like you, you "liked" a documentary thats been proven to be a lie and full of half truths, you are the people you claim i am, the religious nut jobs who think because we dont know something god did it. Didn't you learn from history? god of the gaps fails everytime, i cling to nothing thats not full of evidence. I don't claim to know how life started it is an incredible complex topic which we may never know, because of the timeline and possible conditions we do not know existed. What we do know is that life can be made from organic material, how it occured in nature is the problem.

who cares what happened on day 1? is that were your god is? day 1? i would suggest you not get attached to that gap as its likely to be filled just like every other gap that has ever existed and there were millions.

Your thinking is all wrong, you cling to this problem as if it validates your god, its a bad strategy, one that will leave you empty in the end, or at least the odds are not in your favor.

dawkins doesn't claim to know how life started, the question was how could life of started he gave an uneducated answer, he doesn't deal with abiogenesis, hence it's pointless to ask.

everything you guys, i mean creationists say is a lie, from the pasteur disproving spontaneous generation to macro-evolution hasnt occured or never been observed its all lies. Stupid ones at that, no crtical thinking is ever applied, no rational thought, nothing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2011, 12:25:08 PM »
to the mis representation of what dawkins was saying, he said nothing about gods and his explanation or possible explanation is logical and natural.

he doesnt deal with abiogenesis, there are many theories for example we do know that life can form naturally look at the miller-urey experiment. Also, autocatalysis is another theory that is a possible explanation. I'm nothing like you, you "liked" a documentary thats been proven to be a lie and full of half truths, you are the people you claim i am, the religious nut jobs who think because we dont know something god did it. Didn't you learn from history? god of the gaps fails everytime, i cling to nothing thats not full of evidence. I don't claim to know how life started it is an incredible complex topic which we may never know, because of the timeline and possible conditions we do not know existed. What we do know is that life can be made from organic material, how it occured in nature is the problem.

who cares what happened on day 1? is that were your god is? day 1? i would suggest you not get attached to that gap as its likely to be filled just like every other gap that has ever existed and there were millions.

Your thinking is all wrong, you cling to this problem as if it validates your god, its a bad strategy, one that will leave you empty in the end, or at least the odds are not in your favor.

dawkins doesn't claim to know how life started, the question was how could life of started he gave an uneducated answer, he doesn't deal with abiogenesis, hence it's pointless to ask.

everything you guys, i mean creationists say is a lie, from the pasteur disproving spontaneous generation to macro-evolution hasnt occured or never been observed its all lies. Stupid ones at that, no crtical thinking is ever applied, no rational thought, nothing.

No one has misrepresented what Dawkins said.  The clip of his comments are posted, along with a transcript of what he said.  He plainly said the origin of life on earth could be the result of intelligent design:

Ben Stein: What do think is the possibility that there then, intelligent design might turn out to be the answer to some issues in genetics... or in evolution?

Richard Dawkins: Well... it could come about in the following way: it could be that uh, at some earlier time somewhere in the universe a civilization e-evolved... by probably by some kind of Darwinian means to a very very high level of technology and designed a form of life that they seeded onto... perhaps this... this planet. Um, now that is a possibility. And uh, an intriguing possibility. And I suppose it's possible that you might find evidence for that if you look at the um, at the detail... details of our chemistry molecular biology you might find a signature of some sort of designer.

Ben Stein: [voice over] Wait a second. Richard Dawkins thought intelligent design might be a legitimate pursuit?

Richard Dawkins: Um, and that designer could well be a higher intelligence from elsewhere in the universe. But that higher intelligence would itself would have to come about by some explicable or ultimately explicable process. It couldn't have just jumped into existence spontaneously. That's the point.

Ben Stein: [voice over] So professor Dawkins was not against intelligent design, just certain types of designers. Such as God.

I have never said the gaping holes in macroevolution, the "big bang," etc. prove intelligent design.  What I've tried to do is get a scientific explanation from people like you about day 1.  And to say day 1 doesn't matter is crazy.  The entire foundation of any theory has to start on day 1.  Like I've said before, it's like starting a book on chapter 2 or 3.  Makes absolutely no sense. 

In any event, what you have is a faith-based belief (if any) about how life on earth originated.  It certainly isn't science-based.  But this goes back to an exchange we had two years ago:

Why isn't it a correct question? 

At the end of the day, it sounds like you have a faith-based belief in how life originated.  It definitely isn't scientific, which requires:  (1) observation; (2) hypothesis formulation; (3) prediction; and (4) testing of predictions.

This isn't a criticism of you or anyone else.     

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »
No one has misrepresented what Dawkins said.  The clip of his comments are posted, along with a transcript of what he said.  He plainly said the origin of life on earth could be the result of intelligent design:

I have never said the gaping holes in macroevolution, the "big bang," etc. prove intelligent design.  What I've tried to do is get a scientific explanation from people like you about day 1.  And to say day 1 doesn't matter is crazy.  The entire foundation of any theory has to start on day 1.  Like I've said before, it's like starting a book on chapter 2 or 3.  Makes absolutely no sense. 

In any event, what you have is a faith-based belief (if any) about how life on earth originated.  It certainly isn't science-based.  But this goes back to an exchange we had two years ago:

nothing what dawkins said helps intelligent design, look at the question

"What do think is the possibility that there then, intelligent design might turn out to be the answer to some issues in genetics... or in evolution?"

the question is specific, hence dawkins responds that if intelligent design were to be found (quite telling he uses the future tense) it could be some alien race etc, ie a more intelligent species, not god from the bible, not god from ID or creationism.

day 1 doesnt matter in evolution, your analogy is ridiculous. Your assuming the chapters relate to one another as in a book however, in reality the chapters (theories, branchs of science) do not. We do not need to know how life arose to know how it propagates and increases complexity, we just dont need to know. However, we are trying to find out and we ALREADY KNOW LIFE CAN BE CREATED NATURALLY, WE KNOW THIS AS A FACT the basic building blocks can be created which once created can propagate to cellular life forms. The problem is the experiment was not how earths atmosphere was hence we have to keep looking for the fact of how life began.

Do you want a run down on the prevailing theories and there evidence, because you assume everyone is just hoping like you do with god, meanwhile theres mountains of evidence.

theres nothing faith based about it. even your quote is wrong.

At the end of the day, it sounds like you have a faith-based belief in how life originated.  It definitely isn't scientific, which requires:  (1) observation; (2) hypothesis formulation; (3) prediction; and (4) testing of predictions.

1. you do not need to directly observe somethign to know it happened, complete bullshit.
2. ok
3. ok
4. ok

all are done within abiogenesis, what is faith based?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #289 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
What is the scientific explanation for how life began according to the theory of evolution?  

From what I've gathered uncaused quantum fluctuations popped in and out of existence causing the formation of the uncaused, ever-expanding universe.  Exploded star particles (stardust) have mixed together over billions of years and within the random chaos created an incomprehensibly, perfectly ordered and completely improbable solar system containing our Earth (technically we're just a minor blip or universal garbage...meaningless and temporary at best).  Life on Earth was formed out of goopy pools of hot cosmic stardust that eventually generated multicellular organisms (seemingly infinite numbers of atomic particles perfectly aligning to create higher levels of perfectly structured amino acids and perfectly functioning and reproducing cellular structures) which turned into primitive monkeys which turned into humans which gave us the Jersey Shore....it's science.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #290 on: November 01, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »
From what I've gathered uncaused quantum fluctuations popped in and out of existence causing the formation of the uncaused, ever-expanding universe.  Exploded star particles (stardust) have mixed together over billions of years and within the random chaos created an incomprehensibly, perfectly ordered and completely improbable solar system containing our Earth (technically we're just a minor blip or universal garbage...meaningless and temporary at best).  Life on Earth was formed out of goopy pools of hot cosmic stardust that eventually generated multicellular organisms (seemingly infinite numbers of atomic particles perfectly aligning to create higher levels of perfectly structured amino acids and perfectly functioning and reproducing cellular structures) which turned into primitive monkeys which turned into humans which gave us the Jersey Shore....it's science.
Wow and they acuse us of believing something on pure faith, woooooooooosh ??? :o

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
Wow and they acuse us of believing something on pure faith, woooooooooosh ??? :o

LOL!!!  Yeah, I hear what you're saying.  Personally, I enjoy learning about science now.  Especially about cosmology, physics and biology.  Do I understand all that stuff?  Not a chance.  Now, I'm not completely ignorant, I can grasp a lot of it sure.  Still, a lot is beyond me; regardless, most scientists are working to achieve truth....a noble pursuit.  What I find upsetting is that within the scope of that pursuit of truth is a desire to eliminate God.  So many attempt to refute or dismiss God via their field of study while so few attempt to dismiss God by trying him on for size with a humble, earnest  heart that truly desires to know him.  What I've just expressed is simply cast aside as "nothingness" or "bothersome fluff with no merit".  It's the heart of the matter (no pun intended)....it's the crux.  Dismiss his love and you'll neither truly confirm or deny God's existence at any point in your lifetime.  Certainly some will weave together some well-articulated justification for disbelief, but it will never, truly remove God.....just helps temporarily satiate an individual's desire to avoid inevitable, divine accountability.   

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: November 04, 2011, 03:31:56 AM »
There is none. Evolution has nothing to do with abiogenesis.  ::) And we have said this many, many times.

Don't pull your 'troll' nonsense here. Read it again. Evolution makes no claims about abiogenesis.

This is the first reply and the only correct one where this thread should have ended 12 pages ago.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #293 on: November 04, 2011, 05:12:50 AM »
This is the first reply and the only correct one where this thread should have ended 12 pages ago.
OK einsteins if evolution doesn't claim abiogenesis but the theory ::) has evolutionary process before life began and after; what the hell do you call that then?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: November 11, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »
OK einsteins if evolution doesn't claim abiogenesis but the theory ::) has evolutionary process before life began and after; what the hell do you call that then?

im not even sure what you are trying to say here, could you repeat that or form a cogent thought?

It's obvious you know literally nothing about evolution or abiogenesis, if so, why are you so against something you have no knowledge about, do you enjoy being a mindless puppet incapable of critical thinking.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #295 on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
im not even sure what you are trying to say here, could you repeat that or form a cogent thought?

It's obvious you know literally nothing about evolution or abiogenesis, if so, why are you so against something you have no knowledge about, do you enjoy being a mindless puppet incapable of critical thinking.
Bro give it up, why is it always that "it's obviouse you don't know this or that blah...." what you don't think we research stuff, bro there are hundreds of videos on youtube alone explaining Evolution in full by the leading people on evolution so it's not hard to know the theory, your acting like if it's some secret that only the insiders know, jeeeez, Trust me Christians spend thousands of hours learning about evolution and it's funny how I spend a lot of time reading books and watching documentaries on evolution yet you proabably have never seen the inside of a Bible.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: November 11, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
Bro give it up, why is it always that "it's obviouse you don't know this or that blah...." what you don't think we research stuff, bro there are hundreds of videos on youtube alone explaining Evolution in full by the leading people on evolution so it's not hard to know the theory, your acting like if it's some secret that only the insiders know, jeeeez, Trust me Christians spend thousands of hours learning about evolution and it's funny how I spend a lot of time reading books and watching documentaries on evolution yet you proabably have never seen the inside of a Bible.

we are all made of stardust basically.....unless we find a way start life out of nothing in the lab we will probably never know and probably aren't meant to know.....it would be too mind blowing and give us as humans too much power

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: November 12, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »

yes youtube videos posted by creationists really explain evolution, my statement came from the fact that you guys don't even understand what the theory of evolution states since you continually ask how life began, which is not evolution. Its a fact there is more evidence for it then any other theory, all of modern biology rests on its assumptions, no test has ever falsified it go ahead and try and make one. How evolution occurs is being debated but we have seen it in a lab, have genetic evidence, nested hierarchies which never fail, geological records and numerous modern inventions like medicine because of it.

The only people that debate it are those that are religious or know nothing about it. Ever experiment ever conducted to test the theory has been in accordance with evolution. Its a fact just like gravity, everything evolves, everything even inventions it's seems to be a law of the universe.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #298 on: November 12, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »
Evolution is far from fact, lie number 1, and the theory has not been tested in a lab, lie number 2. You can claim anything you want but doesn't make it so. Do you think Christain's disregard the entire theory? Really?..... the theoy is not a matter of 1 tiny subject, most of it is based on assumptions. Are there portions that are true, Of course every Christian on the planet believes in micro evolution. That we came from monkeys?, no, and there is no proof of this whatsoever. So the few aspects that have been tested or contribute to science, we don't have an issue with that or it doesn't contradict the Bible at all. You are very close-minded thinking that the only thing Christians know about evolution are based on a few creation videos on youtube, lol, :-[

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: November 12, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
Evolution is far from fact, lie number 1, and the theory has not been tested in a lab, lie number 2. You can claim anything you want but doesn't make it so. Do you think Christain's disregard the entire theory? Really?..... the theoy is not a matter of 1 tiny subject, most of it is based on assumptions. Are there portions that are true, Of course every Christian on the planet believes in micro evolution. That we came from monkeys?, no, and there is no proof of this whatsoever. So the few aspects that have been tested or contribute to science, we don't have an issue with that or it doesn't contradict the Bible at all. You are very close-minded thinking that the only thing Christians know about evolution are based on a few creation videos on youtube, lol, :-[

you lost credibility when you got to this point