Author Topic: WWE Tough Enough returning. Good or Bad Idea?  (Read 14408 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
WWE Tough Enough returning. Good or Bad Idea?
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:11:38 PM »
Wrestling is taking over another hour of cable television. World Wrestling Entertainment will announce Monday that it is resurrecting “WWE Tough Enough,” a competition to cast a new member of the organization’s roster. The program was retired by MTV in 2003, but the USA network is bringing it back and pairing it with the hit franchise “Monday Night Raw.”

The return of “Tough Enough” deepens WWE’s relationship with USA channel’s parent, NBC Universal, the media company that Comcast is on the cusp of acquiring. For years, USA has been the home of “Raw,” and last year the Syfy Channel became the home of “Friday Night Smackdown.” WWE executives have spoken publicly about wanting to start a cable channel, and the relationship with NBC and Comcast may prove useful.

Kevin Dunn, the executive vice president for television production at WWE, said “Tough Enough” would be “a brand builder for us.” It will feature 12 men and women jostling for a one-year WWE contract.

“It’s a way to bring eyeballs to the WWE product that wouldn’t necessarily watch a live event wrestling show,” he said.

“Tough Enough” is being introduced as USA, known for scripted dramas, seeks to return to unscripted programming. Its last reality show premiere was “Made in the USA” in 2005. A USA spokesman said the channel was hiring unscripted development executives.

Mr. Dunn said WWE had been talking to USA “for years” about resuming “Tough Enough.” After a splashy premiere on April 4 following “WrestleMania,” the show will be broadcast at 8 p.m. on Mondays before “Raw.”

Mr. Dunn said the addition of “Tough Enough” on USA did not reflect any change in the company’s plans for a channel of its own. “We’re talking to partners,” he said, and those include NBC Universal.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: WWE Tough Enough returning. Good or Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:46:26 AM »
Very bad idea. Tough enough winners of the past:

Nidia
Maven
Maria
Kristy Hemme

Where are they now? Nowhere, truth be told.

To learn an art like pro wrestling requires YEARS of training and in multiple regions including Japan.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »
I agree. I think Morrison was on one season. I never really watched it, but I remember Holly roughing up some kid. The public doesn't respect or care about wrestling..It's a joke to them. Exposing the "secrets" for lack of a better word, won't change that, it will just reenforce the idea that it's "fake" and these guys never get hurt. The other thing is, even if they do find a star, most of these people are doing it for fame and a springboard to something else, so they wouldn't stick around anyway.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:13:13 PM »
I agree. I think Morrison was on one season. I never really watched it, but I remember Holly roughing up some kid. The public doesn't respect or care about wrestling..It's a joke to them. Exposing the "secrets" for lack of a better word, won't change that, it will just reenforce the idea that it's "fake" and these guys never get hurt. The other thing is, even if they do find a star, most of these people are doing it for fame and a springboard to something else, so they wouldn't stick around anyway.
Although not winners of tough enough, many would-be's were still hired due to potential. If that's what you want to call it. Morrison was on of those. Fails in comparison to the Harley Race's, Hogan's, Flair,s, Steamboats, etc.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Although not winners of tough enough, many would-be's were still hired due to potential. If that's what you want to call it. Morrison was on of those. Fails in comparison to the Harley Race's, Hogan's, Flair,s, Steamboats, etc.
If they are looking for another guy like that, they will be looking for a while.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
Those men were allowed to develop.
Too many guys today are TOLD HOW to develop.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »
If they are looking for another guy like that, they will be looking for a while.
I don't think they'll find "him". Old school is GONE.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
Those men were allowed to develop.
Too many guys today are TOLD HOW to develop.

Exactly.  And way too many generic looks.  Everybody has to be lean, muscular, etc...  the VAST majority of great workers from the past weren't either of those things and did a much better job than the guys now.  Matches today just resemble choreographed gymnastic routines.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
On a side note...just saw the Steamboat dvd. Very good.

The Bobby Heenan dvd is officially out too.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
On a side note...just saw the Steamboat dvd. Very good.

The Bobby Heenan dvd is officially out too.

Was Steamboats more NWA or WWF?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
The last commercial (WWE) DVD I picked up was the Curt Hennig one: Fantastic!

I have one or two vids of Steamboat in Japan along with a shoot he did with RF Video.
I may wait until this one is out for a while, gets marked down, and pick it up just to get the footage that Vince owns.

My only beef with WWE produced vids is that, unlike other shoot videos, there's only so much they will (and can) say.
Also, Vince owns so much of the footage, now.
If you want a complete anthology of any one wrestler, you almost have to buy several discs and books, etc. to get the "whole story" as well as the matches.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »
Was Steamboats more NWA or WWF?
Both. It was very well done. No matter what the story was, Vince couldn't boycott it into another WWE ONLY dvd as Steamboat garnered more success and had his best matches in the NWA.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 03:32:25 PM »
I was disspointed with the Heenan dvd. The doc was way too short...I understand he's in no condition to give an interview in his current state, but they could of used a lot more archive interviews.

Montague

• Getbig V

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »
I was disspointed with the Heenan dvd. The doc was way too short...I understand he's in no condition to give an interview in his current state, but they could of used a lot more archive interviews.
You saw it already? Is it worth the buy?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »
Very bad idea. Tough enough winners of the past:

Nidia
Maven
Maria
Kristy Hemme

Where are they now? Nowhere, truth be told.

To learn an art like pro wrestling requires YEARS of training and in multiple regions including Japan.

I thought Maria and Hemme were part of that Diva Search routine. Plus, the winners of "Tough Enough" who have had decent careers include "Miss Jackie" Haas. Current WWE Champion, "The Miz", Mike Mizanin placed second on that show. John Morrison won Tough Enough, as well.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:45 AM »

Morrison won season 3 of "Tough Enough".

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
I thought Maria and Hemme were part of that Diva Search routine. Plus, the winners of "Tough Enough" who have had decent careers include "Miss Jackie" Haas. Current WWE Champion, "The Miz", Mike Mizanin placed second on that show. John Morrison won Tough Enough, as well.
Tough Enough / Diva Search...same crap...the point we are trying to make is that they all stink, champ. They FAIL in comparison to the real stars like Hogan, Austin, The Rock, etc.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »
You saw it already? Is it worth the buy?
Don't get me wrong, It's very entertaining as is anything with Heenan, but I just thought it could have been better. The matches and extras were great, it's just the doc that dissapointed me. It was $20.00 on Amazon. Well worth it IMO.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
On a related note, I can't believe the money they paid to those diva winners. If I was a guy on the road 280 days a year making half that, I would be pissed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 04:40:15 AM »
On a related note, I can't believe the money they paid to those diva winners. If I was a guy on the road 280 days a year making half that, I would be pissed.
RVD was only getting 220,000 per year back in his tenure with WWE while Torri Wilson, who couldn't wrestle or give you a promo was making 286,000 per year. Then Vince can't figure out why guys want to jump ship to anther promotion. Its a joke.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 05:29:54 AM »
Tough Enough / Diva Search...same crap...the point we are trying to make is that they all stink, champ. They FAIL in comparison to the real stars like Hogan, Austin, The Rock, etc.

Hogan, Rock, and Austin are gone. New stars have to be created.

As for the newer guys, we don't know how their careers will end up. Hogan and Austin wrestled for YEARS in the bush leagues, before working their way up the ranks and becoming stars.

Rock is a third-generation wrestler with connections in the business. I think he had somewhat of a fast-track. With that said, people were saying the SAME THING about Rock. In fact, the whole "Rocky Sucks" routine started because people thought Rock was getting too much preferential treatment.

Rocky Maivia got over, because McMahon was smart enough to channel the animosity against him, by turning him heel, having him join the Nation of Domination, and his adopting the "Rock" persona.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 05:36:14 AM »
Hogan, Rock, and Austin are gone. New stars have to be created.

As for the newer guys, we don't know how their careers will end up. Hogan and Austin wrestled for YEARS in the bush leagues, before working their way up the ranks and becoming stars.

Rock is a third-generation wrestler with connections in the business. I think he had somewhat of a fast-track. With that said, people were saying the SAME THING about Rock. In fact, the whole "Rocky Sucks" routine started because people thought Rock was getting too much preferential treatment.

Rocky Maivia got over, because McMahon was smart enough to channel the animosity against him, by turning him heel, having him join the Nation of Domination, and his adopting the "Rock" persona.

It wasn't that long from starting to wrestle that Hogan went to the AWA, hardly a "bush league" at the time.  Austin took a bit longer, and I think it did nothing but help.

Rock is an exception because of his lineage.  He grew up knowing the business inside and out, not to mention a ton of charisma even before he ever wrestled.  He was a character at Miami.

But the whole point is that shit shows like this are like American Idol.  No way to compare a seasoned singer/band to someone forced down peoples throats who haven't earned the right to be there.  WWE had been stuck on that track for a few years now.

the ONLY thing that would have kept me remotely interested was the 2nd and 3rd generation guys, but its odd how so many of them had no ring presence or charisma.  Maybe their dads sheltered them from the business growing up, i'm not sure, but they just didn't have the "it" factor except for Orton.  And I'm only talking about the new generation, not older 2nd generation wrestlers.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 05:48:56 AM »

It wasn't that long from starting to wrestle that Hogan went to the AWA, hardly a "bush league" at the time.  Austin took a bit longer, and I think it did nothing but help.

I wasn't referring to the AWA as a "bush league". But, Hogan had to work from those bush leagues to the AWA and, eventually, to WWE.

Rock is an exception because of his lineage.  He grew up knowing the business inside and out, not to mention a ton of charisma even before he ever wrestled.  He was a character at Miami.

But the whole point is that shit shows like this are like American Idol.  No way to compare a seasoned singer/band to someone forced down peoples throats who haven't earned the right to be there.  WWE had been stuck on that track for a few years now.

We have a more instantized culture. Plus, as I said, Rock was forced down people's throats, which is why people hated him. He got over, when Vince used that animosity by turning Rock heel and having him join the Nation.

the ONLY thing that would have kept me remotely interested was the 2nd and 3rd generation guys, but its odd how so many of them had no ring presence or charisma.  Maybe their dads sheltered them from the business growing up, i'm not sure, but they just didn't have the "it" factor except for Orton.  And I'm only talking about the new generation, not older 2nd generation wrestlers.

Being 2nd and 3rd generation doesn't necessarily dictate success. Chavo Guerrero is a 3rd-generation guy. The best he's done is being ECW Champion and he got crushed by Kane in a matter of seconds at WrestleMania 24. His aunt gets more heat than he does.

Orton's been around a bit longer than some of the others (Dibiase, C. Rhodes, etc). Plus, he did have Helmsley as a tutor.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:12 AM »
Being 2nd and 3rd generation doesn't necessarily dictate success. Chavo Guerrero is a 3rd-generation guy. The best he's done is being ECW Champion and he got crushed by Kane in a matter of seconds at WrestleMania 24. His aunt gets more heat than he does.

Orton's been around a bit longer than some of the others (Dibiase, C. Rhodes, etc). Plus, he did have Helmsley as a tutor.

Oh, i agree, but Chavo has always been over and just misused in WCW and the WWE, imo.  He drew heat in WCW while riding a stick horse to the ring!  Some things just can't be taught in some bootcamp wrestling school.

I agree on Orton and the others, but I just don't see them developing.  That is the problem.  OVW, or wherever, is a joke compared to jumping between territories and countries, learning different styles, etc...  but oh well.....as I have said many times VKM brought it upon himself by squashing all the territory wrestling, now he is reaping what he sowed.