Author Topic: Ice Bath  (Read 7956 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Ice Bath
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
I'm going to build the diy corecontrol.  http://m.instructables.com/id/CoreControl-DIY/ Thanks to the guy that posted that link before.  Before I do, I want to experiment with ice baths.  Anyone familiar,  tips?  The Stanford study (Better than Steroids) really got me going.  http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html

What if you could recover and grow twice as quickly...  :o

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Ice Bath
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
you cant handle an ice bath most uncomfortable thing ever probably will make you sick . probably wont last for more that 1 minite

just turn off the heat in your house and take off your shirt and pants, youll feel sick
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:32:15 PM »
you cant handle an ice bath most uncomfortable thing ever probably will make you sick . probably wont last for more that 1 minite

just turn off the heat in your house and take off your shirt and pants, youll feel sick

Assuming I could summon the evil spirit of Bill Falcon to give me strengths though... 

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »
Assuming I could summon the evil spirit of Bill Falcon to give me strengths though... 

why dont you try a russellian experiment that i had in my other thread your more likely to acheive something than with the ice method

A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »
Im assuming an ice bath is what it says it is. Shit balls that doesnt sound fun, how long did those ppl in the study stay submerged?

how often did they do it?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
Im assuming an ice bath is what it says it is. Shit balls that doesnt sound fun, how long did those ppl in the study stay submerged?

how often did they do it?

In the study they used the Corecontrol glove.  It applies a vacuum so the veins in your palm don't constrict and it cools your blood.  The glove cost $800 though.  There are DIY plans to build one.  People that use it between sets say every set is just like their first.  No fatigue

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
I did it, loaded the water down with ice (didn't take temp).

It actually burnt like hell.  Had I not been in my bathtub I would have drowned, every muscle tensed up.  The first minute was absolute hell/freak out.  After that it wasn't too bad.  Made it six minutes, never started shivering.

My body was red up to the water line on my chest when I got out.  My legs aren't sore anymore (they usually would be this time of the week), could just be in my head.

I'm going to try this a few times a week and see what happens.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 02:27:02 AM »
You would have to be pretty damn determined to subject yourself to something so fucked up and stick with it.  Maybe this actually is the secret to natural gains.   :o

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »
You've got my attention...keep the updates coming. 8)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 03:08:28 AM »
How big was your cock when you came out bro?

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:42 AM »
anyone has some ice for me?

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 03:23:05 AM »
I've been experimenting with the cool your temp between sets thing since that thread the other day.

One method I tried is wetting my hands with water and then swinging them around to aid cooling by evaporation, takes about 2-3 minutes to evaporate. Also the swinging should force blood to the surface by centrifugal force. I train at home so don't have to worry about looking like an idiot. It could be placebo but I could do more reps on subsequent sets than usual.

Another method tried was holding a bottle of milk just out of the fridge, that seemed to have an effect. I will experiment with these methods for a month before making any conclusions. I might try building that contraption too.

Probably wasting my time with this, but I'm natural so I'm used to wasting years training to "build muscles".

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:16:27 AM »

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »
I've been experimenting with the cool your temp between sets thing since that thread the other day.

One method I tried is wetting my hands with water and then swinging them around to aid cooling by evaporation, takes about 2-3 minutes to evaporate. Also the swinging should force blood to the surface by centrifugal force. I train at home so don't have to worry about looking like an idiot. It could be placebo but I could do more reps on subsequent sets than usual.

Another method tried was holding a bottle of milk just out of the fridge, that seemed to have an effect. I will experiment with these methods for a month before making any conclusions. I might try building that contraption too.

Probably wasting my time with this, but I'm natural so I'm used to wasting years training to "build muscles".

Don't worry, you still looked like an idiot.  Couldn't you just have used an ice bucket and dipped your hands in it?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
How big was your cock when you came out bro?

I purposely left that part out...  :-X

Still probably had a few inches on E-Kul.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:34 PM »

Cool!   Good to read, please keep it up!

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
Don't worry, you still looked like an idiot.  Couldn't you just have used an ice bucket and dipped your hands in it?

If the water is too cold it causes capillaries to constrict, so heat transfer from the blood will be hindered. 10 degrees C is the  temperature used in the scientific studies:

http://www.avacore.com/sites/default/files/document/Kwon-Schneider-palm-cooling-Bench-press-study-MSSE-2010.pdf

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:43 AM »
If the water is too cold it causes capillaries to constrict, so heat transfer from the blood will be hindered. 10 degrees C is the  temperature used in the scientific studies:

http://www.avacore.com/sites/default/files/document/Kwon-Schneider-palm-cooling-Bench-press-study-MSSE-2010.pdf

Nice of you to reply to an ignorant douche in such a kind, informative manner.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:57 PM »
Did it again just now, (third time this week).  Water was cold as a mother fucker, had to be in the 40's.  Legs, glutes, and even calves were killing me before.  I always have the most severe DOMS after legs.  I've posted about it here before.

Honestly, I have zero leg soreness now.  I went ten minutes this time, sitting up to my chest in the water with hands under too this time.  I really started to shiver at about seven minutes.  It chilled me to my core, I'm sitting here on the verge of shivering 15 minutes later, but it feels good.  Unbelievably invigorating, I could do legs again tomorrow I believe.

I think there might be something to this.  I don't think anyone could know the benefits, because it's such a fucked up and uncomfortable thing to do.  You dread it so severely that no one has probably ever stuck to it.

No one tense up and drown yourself please, I would feel horrible about that.  I know there are ratards among us...  :P

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 11:38:28 PM »

haha... what I looked like climbing out!!  :o

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »
Chest and Triceps were destroyed and really sore with DOMS.

Just did 10 minutes,  water level only up to my mid stomach, hands underwater (that seems to chill me twice as much).  Last minutes I was shivering. 

This was about 15 minutes ago, chest and tris are completely rejuvenated.  I can flex with absulutly no DOMS. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
(no homo, no crossfit)

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »

wider than phil heath
K

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 04:19:18 AM »
I've taken a dip in a frozen lake a couple of times last month.
They put a hose and a motor in that circulates the water and keeps it from freezing solid.

Feels nice and warm AFTERWARDS!

There is a sauna option as well. So you can heat up before or between dips.