Author Topic: Off Topic - Baby boomer generation  (Read 1805 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Off Topic - Baby boomer generation
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
You'd keep quiet too if you knew that you and the dead men you served with were used as pawns, and you suffer illnesses from Agent Orange.

Good point  :-X

MikMaq

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
Anything and everything that parents have earned should be considered privilege and birthright to their children.  This is precisely how generational wealth becomes established and accrues.  Making someone start over with nothing, forcing them into a status that they do not have to be, only hinders progress.  The concept of appreciation can certainly be understood without having to resort to pointless sadomasochism.
Bullshit, this allowance for being born into to wealth is why democracy is such a sham, we have a modern forum of feudalism nothing more.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
No.  That has more to do with the fact that the Conservative brain is less intelligent and less creative as they lack abstract thought and are unable to grasp concepts that are not spoon-fed.  There are some exceptions to the rule of course, but for the most part as an aggregate, this is true.

The Baby Boomers include liberals such as Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, as well as conservatives like Rush and Karl Rove.  It includes Romney (at the oldest co-hort), Obama, and George Bush.  Includes Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Jamie Dimon.

The baby boomers are still the movers and shakers in this society.  

You may be confusing the older co-hort who were teens in the 1950's, were fans of Elvis and Roy Rogers.  Baby Boomers were fans of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, and watched Gilligan's Island.  

I think you may be confused.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
The Baby Boomers include liberals such as Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, as well as conservatives like Rush and Karl Rove.  It includes Romney (at the oldest co-hort), Obama, and George Bush.  Includes Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Jamie Dimon.

The baby boomers are still the ones effing up this society.  

You may be confusing the older co-hort who were teens in the 1950's, were fans of Elvis and Roy Rogers.  Baby Boomers were fans of the Beatles and Rolling Stones, and watched Gilligan's Island.  

Fixed

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »

Pfft. Confused! 

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
They found out that peace, love and flower power don't pay the bills or put food on the table.  Reality is a bitch when you grow up.
A

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »
Fixed

Yes, that too, in a big way.  If you read my first post, that's what I said, but TA needed to correct me.....

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »
Anything and everything that parents have earned should be considered privilege and birthright to their children.  This is precisely how generational wealth becomes established and accrues.  Making someone start over with nothing, forcing them into a status that they do not have to be, only hinders progress.  The concept of appreciation can certainly be understood without having to resort to pointless sadomasochism.
Surely, however, you have to agree that there is a point too far.

What if the kid never has to work for anything and never develops a work ethic?

I think one thing people tend to do with successful groups is to minimize their work. This way, the other guy is ahead not on hard work.

For instance, Chinese kids work incredibly hard in school and many people say they are "good at math". A lot of other people would do the same if they put the time in.

I think Jewish kids are probably given high goals in their childhood, and stiffer penalties for failing to meet them, even if there is a lot of material wealth in their households.
G

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
P.I.P

You need to listen to this man it will answer all your questions;

http://archive.org/details/DrWilliamPierceAudioArchive308RadioBroadcasts

example;

littledumbells

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
Please keep the threads bodybuilding related.

Thank you

~_~

Why? Its not like its a career choice

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 05:15:48 PM »
Surely, however, you have to agree that there is a point too far.

What if the kid never has to work for anything and never develops a work ethic?

I think one thing people tend to do with successful groups is to minimize their work. This way, the other guy is ahead not on hard work.

For instance, Chinese kids work incredibly hard in school and many people say they are "good at math". A lot of other people would do the same if they put the time in.

I think Jewish kids are probably given high goals in their childhood, and stiffer penalties for failing to meet
them, even if there is a lot of material wealth in their households.
the problem is when you force or set your own goals for the children, instead of teaching them to have expectations and to succeed in anything that they do.
For instance, are the Chinese kids taught to think for themselves, or just perform to a "standard"?
Is the Jewish kid taught to fulfill his parent's goals for himself, knowing that if he doesn't, he will not have their backing?
Is the black kid taught that he doesn't need to do just sports, and that if he has other interests, to pursue them as well?

Being that I had a mother who was a teacher, and I went into teaching myself, what is noticiable about children of babyboomers is that, they are smart, but want everything handed to them on a platter---they were taught that they are special, and don't need to be challenged. Also, they tend not to have structure, and guidance at home, and their parents treat them like they are friends.
So these kids have problems with authority figures, and their parents back them, no matter what.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

Baby boomers started after WWII.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »
Baby boomers started after WWII.

Their dads fought in WWII, they were born from 1946 to 1964, many received draft notices for Viet Nam, and then became hippies -- give or take...