Author Topic: Delts...moving this over from G&O section  (Read 3377 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Delts...moving this over from G&O section
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:54:58 PM »
Of course there's the Pre-Exhause system, which seems to work very well on the delts. It can be applied to other muscle groups also.

When doing a compound exercise like presses behind the neck, a lighter set of a extension (extending away from the body)  movement (lateral raises for example)  are done right before.  Point being to work the lateral head strongly first  and than with the aid of the pressing muscles (mainly the triceps) work the lateral head even more.  There is no rest between these two exercises. 

Can also apply this type Pre-Exhause movement with lateral raises followed by upright rows or even hi-pulls. With hi-pulls, and a wider hand spacing ,the bar will only rise to the lower pec's, but that all one would need. The hi-pull is one of the better delt exercise around.

With front overhead presses, using the Pre-Exhause system can work well. Some will use front BB/DB raises rather that lateral raises. Some have tri setted this while doing front raises, lateral raises and finally front overhead presses. Your choice to which works best for you.  And again, no rest between exercises. 3X8-10 usually, with this protocol being the only direct delt work done in a training session

There is also the Running The Rack system, for some very advanced and painful delt punishment. Either start at the lower end of the DB rack, or at the top weight (for you) db's. . Most guy's start at the higher weighted DB and work their way down until a 10lb db feels like a hundred pounds.. Can either do lateral raises or DB overhead presses....your choice.
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Delts...moving this over from G&O section
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 12:41:03 PM »
Eliminate presses behind the neck.  Thank me in 20 years when your shoulders aren't wrecked.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 09:42:15 AM »
I am including two shoulder movements here, which have gotten somewhat of a misunderstanding on how to preform them and the dangers that might follow. This is my view only.

True, as with upright row, a few should avoid the press behind the neck (or behind the neck presses as some say). This would also include DL's & BB benching. Notice that I said a few because generally speaking the press behind neck is one of the better delt developer there is.

I have SS'ed the press behind the neck and upright rows in the past, with very good results. Developing a stronger shoulder girdle in the process. Have also jerked pressed from behind the neck, as a regular part of a training plan.

With presses behind the neck it would be suggested to not have a too wide a grip, a few inches wider than shoulder width only. Try not lowering the bar below the upper trap/base of the neck area. Pay attention to a good warmup, including shoulder stretches. (look that up..lot of ways for warmups & stretches).

With upright rows, the bar should be raised nearest to the body as possible, from start to finish, and to about shoulder height. Much more stress is directed to the shoulder joints when the bar is raised out and away from the body. Also no need to come near the jaw/chin, which can put undo stress on the shoulders and even the wrist.

With both exercises there is the danger of rushing the weight, trying to use too heavy a weight when first starting  out with these two exercises. Ease into this type shoulder work slowly.  After a few weeks, if feeling discomfort, your body not adjusting to them or the idea that either of these two exercise  are not meant for you...than just drop them from workouts.    

Try not ending up like a few heavy  bencher's who know that the pain and injuries keep mounting up and keep benching anyway, year after year. You can't work around those kind of serious problems.  Even some who have had shoulder, elbow, tricep or pec surgery's.   I've known a few guy's like that. Even one female lifter.

Good Luck

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
Just to add with regards to the press behind the neck.

Most BB'ers lack flexibility and a total straight hands overhead ROM within the shoulder area, most notable in any pressing exercises. This tightness  affects a possible injury to the shoulder joints, if not taking warmups and stretches into consideration before.  That flexibility can be obtained somewhat easy with taking a little time to preform warmups and stretches.

Clasping the hands together around a overhead chinning bar and allowing the body to hang freely is one of the better shoulder stretches (actually including the back, spine and hips).  Try for 20 seconds at first for a few sets. , increasing the free hang time from workout to workout. Doing one hand free hangs helps with a stretch also. Doing straight arm pullovers, with a single DB, hands together,  also aids with shoulder flexibility before a pressing workout. Lots of other ways, just do a search if you want.

Good Luck
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
I used the press behind the neck for many decades. Maybe 40 years. Always took the bar from touching the traps to fully over head. Never a problem with delts regarding injury with the movement. As I got old past around 55 they started to hurt bad. I moved to the military press with a bar and standing dumbbell presses. I think my problem with the press behind the neck is that I started to lose flexibility. Maybe it was from benching that really seems to be a flexibility wrecker for the shoulders. Once flexibility is gone it's easy for tears to happen.

Many guys have a ton of pain doing the press behind the neck because they are so inflexible with their shoulders that it leads to injury. Personally I always thought it was one of the best delt exercises going. I wish I could still do them. Just might use a baby weight and try to work my way up. Last time I tried this approach  I think I progressed to quickly. I'm a big believer that a full range of motion reduces the risk of injury. By the same token using a full range of motion without the flexibility needed contributes to injury so it's a catch 22.