Author Topic: Fitness "Celebrities" Who've Become Vegan Since Vegan Gains Started Vlogging  (Read 7326 times)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.

LOL there's a pretty definitive bigger picture aspect. The corporate meat production process is horrific. The level of abuse and cruelty is straight up psychotic. Exposure to it is the thing that converts the most people.

Beef "farming"is one of the most environmentally damaging industries on earth. Meat consumption raises health risks across the board, as well as likelihood of obesity.

There are several huge ethical and practical reasons to become vegan.

Those are just excuses to take oneself too seriously.

I respect people's choices but don't feel they're entitled to a cookie.

The oldest is a pure vegan and I don't have any issues making vegan meals. I'm diligent about not mixing utensils, cleaning the cutting board, ingredients, etc.. because it's respectful to the beliefs of others. Whatever nonsensical reason the kid has about bees, honey, meat... picked up off the internet is irrelevant.

It's impossible to live (in modern society) without creating or participating in some level of suffering. Only a fool would be arrogant enough to believe the person schlepping their latte was touching themselves in excitement about being a barista.

Most people get up in the morning and do whatever it takes to survive. Pretending we're self-aware or doing things for a higher purpose makes things easier but doesn't change that simple fact.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Those are just excuses to take oneself too seriously.
Nope.

It's impossible to live (in modern society) without creating or participating in some level of suffering. Only a fool would be arrogant enough to believe the person schlepping their latte was touching themselves in excitement about being a barista.
Really?  Not liking your job at a coffee shop =/= literally being tortured to death.  ::)

Choosing to go vegan is an excuse to take oneself too seriously, but because the coffee shop guy wishes he was a rock star, nothing matters anyway?

Most people get up in the morning and do whatever it takes to survive. Pretending we're self-aware or doing things for a higher purpose makes things easier but doesn't change that simple fact.

This is not true of modern, developed countries. Most people aren't just doing whatever it takes to survive. We have agency over large parts of our lives and the choices we make are often dictated by how they impact others. Even wild animals understand this.

drkaje

• Getbig V
By "survive", I simply mean pay bills and eat. It wasn't intended to be an excuse for you to wax existentially, LOL!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Fuck vegans!

I have no problem to introduce Freelee the banana girl to my meat-banana...

drkaje

• Getbig V
I have no problem to introduce Freelee the banana girl to my meat-banana...

It only takes one slip up with the DNA and you're raising a kid who thinks Honey Nut Cheerios are an act of genocide against bees. :)

Pretty girl, though.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
By "survive", I simply mean pay bills and eat. It wasn't intended to be an excuse for you to wax existentially, LOL!

Me wax existential? (Think of the baristas :'( )

The point is it's not true. People aren't just trying to survive. People aren't just trying to pay bills and eat. Who do you know who isn't including ethical considerations in most of their decision making? Do you really know people who think kicking a dog in the stomach or burning a kitten alive isn't grotesque?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
It only takes one slip up with the DNA and you're raising a kid who thinks Honey Nut Cheerios are an act of genocide against bees. :)

Pretty girl, though.

Haha, good point, but I only want to fuck her and then run away from all the hippie drama that follows

drkaje

• Getbig V
Haha, good point, but I only want to fuck her and then run away from all the hippie drama that follows

So you're gonna be strong and walk away from that vegan cooter? You know they taste different, right? :)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
So you're gonna be strong and walk away from that vegan cooter? You know they taste different, right? :)

Her pH score is prob much better, but she will drive me crazy for sure with her vegan rants...

My last date was a vegetarian and she clearly wasn't pleased with my life style. Too bad, since she had a nice ass...

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
For a brief moment, I thought about becoming vegan.

But then I realized Id have to learn all new recipes and food combinations, etc.

Much easier to just throw a piece of meat in a skillet.
X

drkaje

• Getbig V
Me wax existential? (Think of the baristas :'( )

The point is it's not true. People aren't just trying to survive. People aren't just trying to pay bills and eat. Who do you know who isn't including ethical considerations in most of their decision making? Do you really know people who think kicking a dog in the stomach or burning a kitten alive isn't grotesque?

I don't believe most people have the luxury of incorporating ethics into their daily decision making.

That's different than trying to be a good person, do the right thing, or simply make it through the day without creating too many more problems.

Generally speaking: Someone who consciously goes through the ethics of each decision, before congratulating themselves, is mentally masturbating. A person practicing ethics from their core wouldn't need the validation.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
I don't believe most people have the luxury of incorporating ethics into their daily decision making.

That's different than trying to be a good person, do the right thing, or simply make it through the day without creating too many more problems.

Obviously different people have different levels of autonomy in different areas, but, yes, there are thousands of tiny and major ways that people  include the choice to live ethically in their daily lives. Do you keep the extra change the clerk gave you mistakenly? Do you take that delicious looking sandwich your co-worker placed in the fridge? Do you leave the public restroom as neat and clean as it was when you entered?

Most of the decisions people make on a daily basis are informed by an "innate"  sense of right and wrong. If you're saying that bigger issues make it harder- like working for a company that doesn't align with your political beliefs or buying responsibly produced clothing- then that doesn't mean the other choices you do make are any less important. It doesn't even make you a hypocrite.

Generally speaking: Someone who consciously goes through the ethics of each decision, before congratulating themselves, is mentally masturbating. A person practicing ethics from their core wouldn't need the validation.

Weighed against your own arbitrary definitions of what it means to "practice ethics from your core" and to seek "validation"?  Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but sometimes that's because it's difficult figuring out what the right thing is. There have been many times when I've done something that seemed perfectly reasonable and later realized I was in the wrong.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
For a brief moment, I thought about becoming vegan.

But then I realized Id have to learn all new recipes and food combinations, etc.

Much easier to just throw a piece of meat in a skillet.

You're in NYC, correct?

If you can tear yourself away from jerking it to Phil Heath's The Gifted Channel for a few hours, stop in Maoz. If you've never been there, it is delicious.   It will change the way you see vegetarianism.

drkaje

• Getbig V
You're in NYC, correct?

If you can tear yourself away from jerking it to Phil Heath's The Gifted Channel for a few hours, stop in Maoz. If you've never been there, it is delicious.   It will change the way you see vegetarianism.

I'll be in NYC soon.

Might grab some food and a few ideas.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
I'll be in NYC soon.

Might grab some food and a few ideas.

Full disclosure: I'm not technically vegan/vegetarian. i could write a book-length post about my meat consumption ideas, but I'll limit it to this (for now): responsibly raised and sourced, yada, yada, yada.

That being said, Maoz is great. It's a falafel chain. Inspired my wife to begin serving all-vegan entrees several nights a week, as well as experimenting and upping the veggie quotient on the nights she serves meat.Even if you don't give up meat completely, there is a lot to be said for a more veggie-focused diet.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
must av been the worst days of your life

It was absolutely horrible.

I will never do so again. Could I stop eating "red meat"? MAYBE. No meat at all... Fuck no.

Chicken, Turkey, Fish... all delicious.