Author Topic: Grapefruit Mist (Letters From a Soldier)  (Read 1127 times)

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
Grapefruit Mist (Letters From a Soldier)
« on: October 11, 2006, 12:08:25 AM »
I read this a while ago

I'm aware there are probably other blogs like this but here's some letters from a Soldier that Henry Rollins put on his site.  They're certainly interesting to say the least

http://www.21361.com/site_2004/dispatchs_archive/LettersFromASoldier.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Grapefruit Mist (Letters From a Soldier)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:26:24 AM »
Grapefruit mist!

Perhaps the only good thing about this war is that we will have an entire generation of men who absolutely despise war.  It's easy for soccer dads and security moms to sit home and talk about how 'we need this war to keep our babies safe".  it's easy because they've never gone through that stuff, and haven't spent much time learning about what is going on over there, and why.

Hoopefully we'll learn from this.  It's like every generation has to.  We went from the end of Vietnam all the way until 1991 without an official war (skirmishes aside).   Then, voters (myself included) forgot what shit vietnam was, and endorsed a guy who never knew what shit vietnam was. 

Our generation will learn.  Hopefully we won't see another war for 20 years.  But, with Bush having a fucking hard-on for starting wars (and I dare one person to tell me I'm wrong about that point), it's likely that it'll get worse before it gets better.

[/3:30 AM vent]

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 07:58:57 AM »
Hah, well North Korea ..

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »
Tony Snow (White house press guy) admitted last night that there is really very little the US can do about NKorea setting off nukes.

I wonder why we have war plans on the desk for taking out Iran, at stage 2 of 10 in the nuke weapons process.  Yet we have zero plans and zero ability against NK, at stage 8 of 10 in the same process.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
Its a shame noone else seems to have read that link I put.. if only the grapefruit mist story which is an excellent ending.

I don't blame N.K.. the US have devices so there is a level of hypocracy in this whole affair.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:40:55 PM »
Dude, we are taking a beating here.  Politics is what is getting us killed.  If only we could keep going with things instead of trying to appease the populace back there.  People back home need to get a backbone and realize we have to fight the only way they know how.  And that way it isn't very nice.  War isn't nice and it isn't pretty.  I have a mission that I have to go on to give medical attention to some families.  It is an attempt for us to win the Iraq’s hearts.  I hate the mere thought of it.

i could not agree more with this part. this is why this whole thing is in such a shitty state-too concerned with 'political correctness' and just too many people who are ignorant are in charge of events and situations they dont really understand. i really feel bad for these guys having to be used as pawns in an extremely irresponsible, inefficient manner which results in them getting killed and little or nothing to show for their sacrifices.

These fuckers are ruthless and if we want to make a difference here we have to be ruthless as well.  They don’t understand any other way.  If people really want our soldiers to come home, then they have to quit tree hugging and start supporting violent acts towards these bastards and show the Iraqi populace that it is worse dealing with us than with the insurgents.  We roll outside the wire and wait to be ambushed.  Fuck that.  Let us mass and just tear the city apart.  But instead we try the diplomatic approach.  Win their hearts and minds, they do not understand this.  And they play both sides.  90% are uneducated here and all they have is their religion.  Other parts of the country are better, but here is probably the worst place in Iraq right now.  We do have offensive missions, but only after intel has verified, without a doubt, that the target exists.  By time that happens they have killed or wounded a few more of us.
this part again emphasizes how poorly the 'powers that be' are conducting this 'campaign'. piss poor understanding of what is required, either that or the deliberate ignoring of it in favor of political interests, which is even worse and is what i think is going on right now.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:57:21 PM »
Every day I hear more about:

1) The US lying about the number of iraqis being killed
2) The US lying about the number of US forces being wounded or killed.

Can anyone justify this kind of lying?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 09:56:23 PM »
Every day I hear more about:

1) The US lying about the number of iraqis being killed
2) The US lying about the number of US forces being wounded or killed.

Can anyone justify this kind of lying?

We don't lie about our KIA's..its kinda hard to do that. However the wounded are a different story. U here about a guy getting wounded an its "oh yeah he'll be fine"... alot of these kids a  double amputee's or been burnt pretty bad. Nobody cares back home..this war is a tool for the politicians. neithr side cares about us at all.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 10:10:08 PM »
Do we lie about enemy kills?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 10:41:51 PM »
U would be surprised. I know here that it depends on the operation. Sometimes we don't want to be seen as killing all the time. So if we kill 30 we may say 10 just so we don't seem to be in contact with huge enemy units. Its all spin. I have seen predator foottage of up to 300 kills with hellfire and air strikes thats never been reported so anything is possible,
L

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:53:32 AM »
Do we lie about enemy kills?

We probably exaggerate them in our favour. The propaganda of war.   ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 03:58:22 AM »
We have gotten very politically correct aqbout this crap...we undercount alot over here.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 09:32:02 AM »
We probably exaggerate them in our favour. The propaganda of war.   ::)

Nah, soldiers in the field say they're not counted.  The official us enemy kill count is what, 40k? LMAO...