Author Topic: SuperSeting Back and Chest.  (Read 2168 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
SuperSeting Back and Chest.
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:08:50 AM »
Anyone ever tried it?

I was watching a Lithuanian guy who won the junior nationals couple days ago and he trains this way, his back is enormous.

Audrius Jegelavicious something like that is his name, search for his videos on md and rx.

Ive heard that when doing chinups before doing chest for example...lats get warmed up and you press more weight + you get better contraction..

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: SuperSeting Back and Chest.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »
Anyone ever tried it?

I was watching a Lithuanian guy who won the junior nationals couple days ago and he trains this way, his back is enormous.

Audrius Jegelavicious something like that is his name, search for his videos on md and rx.

Ive heard that when doing chinups before doing chest for example...lats get warmed up and you press more weight + you get better contraction..

Never tried it mon amie, but ANY method will work, as long as it allows one to practice and apply THE GOSPEL OF PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD ;D FACT

My best results always came from low volume, frequent and heavy training, with the rep range being within the 5 to 8 rep range. But that's just from my own experience. P.S. Don't ask me bout ma legs :P

But from what I've heard corncerning leg training, is that the legs respond much better to higher reps, within the 12 to 20 rep range.

C'est la vie! ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »
Arnold and Columbo used that method quite a bit when training  together. They would get another guy to work in with them, so there would be three guy's working at a pretty fast pace for the SS's.

These chest/back workouts were somewhat famous at the time. My two uncles had watched them (back in the day )many times with this style training. Volume was high, weight moderate and reps in the 10, or so , range. Probably hundreds (if not thousands) of people have used this system, or versions of, over the years.

SS training does have it's advantage for quite a few trainees. Most think of SS's for arm's only but it can be applied to most any other muscle groups. The original SS'ing meant training a opposite muscle group (as tricep/bicep, chest/back, quads/hams, etc) but there are other versions of SS'ing to take advantage off. Would suggest a 6 to 8 week training cycle of focused SS trainig. 12 weeks at the max. Good Luck.

F

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
Ive been doing 10 sets of bench press supersetted with 10 sets of chins and the pump is unreal,when im done i look 20 lbs heavier.It is a rough workout.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
Arnold and Columbo used that method quite a bit when training  together. They would get another guy to work in with them, so there would be three guy's working at a pretty fast pace for the SS's.

These chest/back workouts were somewhat famous at the time. My two uncles had watched them (back in the day )many times with this style training. Volume was high, weight moderate and reps in the 10, or so , range. Probably hundreds (if not thousands) of people have used this system, or versions of, over the years.

SS training does have it's advantage for quite a few trainees. Most think of SS's for arm's only but it can be applied to most any other muscle groups. The original SS'ing meant training a opposite muscle group (as tricep/bicep, chest/back, quads/hams, etc) but there are other versions of SS'ing to take advantage off. Would suggest a 6 to 8 week training cycle of focused SS trainig. 12 weeks at the max. Good Luck.

Interesting.

Ive also heard this chest&back ss workout from old school bbers ...or bbers who are stuck in the oldschool ways of training..

I might give it a try.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
the way i would do it=

3-5 sets of a chest exercise

3-5 sets of a back exercise

done

as opposed to

chest exercise + back exercise back and forth

POTA

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
I do this about once a month or so. It's so fatiguing. The first time I did it was at my college's gym and passed out. I usually do four sets of flat bench supersetted with chins, four sets of incline dumbbell press supersetted with barbell rows, four sets of flat flies supersetted with t-bars, then four sets of crossovers or dips supersetted with seated rows.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:46:17 AM »
Did it, pump is nice, it's actually a full UB workout. But for some reason I consider it an anomaly... ::)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:09:28 AM »
Did it yesterday...I was shot getting to the end of the workout but I was supersetting back and forth.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
Did it, pump is nice, it's actually a full UB workout. But for some reason I consider it an anomaly... ::)
I know a lot of oldschool bber follow this routine precontest. chest ss back.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
Did this for quite a while when I was younger, it is a full upper body pump but its hard to go heavy espeicially if youre using DB's

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
Actually that chest/back thing is not meant for heavier weight, as most SS's are not either. You want to keep the reps up to the 8-10 rep level every set (heard Arnold/Columbo/? kept around 10 reps). Can apply this type of training not just to pre contest work. It can stand alone, as a regular part of a serious chest and back program. And you want to keep the pace of the workout going quickly.

Of course this is not the only way to increase muscle size. And maybe not the best way for some. BB'ing is always a personal experiment as to what will work for you and you only. Any new program will require at least 6 to 8 weeks to give it a fair test. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:21:29 AM »
A good split is..   Chest+Back
                        shoulders+Arms
                        OFF
                        Legs
                        OFF
                        Repeat.
Chest + Back is very good.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:49:42 AM »
I could never do chest and back in the same workout - each individual bodypart is too big and requires too much work if you're going to do them properly. Split them up and never the two shall meet.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »
I could never do chest and back in the same workout - each individual bodypart is too big and requires too much work if you're going to do them properly. Split them up and never the two shall meet.
I pretty much agree with this especially if youre trying to increase weight every work out. If your not though I think chest and back can give you a pretty good work out.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 03:46:59 AM »

I’ve found this to be true for myself in regards to supersetting the two muscle groups - come to think of it, I‘m not a fan of supersetting anything.
However, I’ve made good progress by training chest & back in the same session - but, that’s just me.

I prioritize my chest because it needs more “attention” than my back, which may be my best muscle group in terms of development.
I also think of chest & back as antagonistic muscles (push/pull), and I often feel a decent pump in my lats by the time I finish the chest portion - so, I may as well finish off the back.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
Im currently doing back and chest on the same day. ALWAYS doo back before chest. Your back/lat muscles support the NEGATIVE movement/motion of a dumbell or bench press.  Always have a good pump when i get to chest.

Back

Deadlifts or hyperextensions

Seated cable rows

then last i always do lat pulldowns.........i get a really good pump when i do these before chest.

Chest
Incline bench 3 sets
Flat dumbell flys
Flat dumbell press