Author Topic: Ultimate Nutrition suing the Mr. Olympia organization  (Read 2380 times)

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
Ultimate Nutrition suing the Mr. Olympia organization
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:31:13 AM »
http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2015/09/01/bodybuilding-supplement-maker-sues-mr-olympia-contest/

A company that makes tubs of protein-shake powder for bodybuilders is suing the organizers of the upcoming Mr. Olympia contest to try to block them from making major sponsorship deals with the manufacturer’s competitors.

With its lawsuit, Connecticut-based Ultimate Nutrition Inc. said the organizers of Mr. Olympia—the top U.S. bodybuilding competition, held in Las Vegas—are advertising new sponsorship deals for companies that want their “brand front and center” at the Sept. 17-20 event. Those offers infringe on Ultimate Nutrition’s exclusive sponsorship deal, the company said.

Officials for Ultimate Nutrition, which makes nutritional supplements to enhanced athletic performance and fitness, signed a $626,800 sponsorship contract in May, enabling it to become the “exclusive title sponsor” for a seventh year, according to documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Hartford. The deal meant Ultimate Nutrition will have its logo “prominently placed” on the competition’s stage, at the press conference setup and throughout a fitness expo that runs throughout the weekend.

The new sponsorship opportunities “substantially undermine the prominence that the Ultimate Nutrition logo is required to be given by Olympia,” Ultimate Nutrition’s lawyers said in court papers. (Event organizers recently named Amazon.com as the event’s “official retail sponsor,” though it is unclear whether Ultimate Nutrition’s lawsuit aims to undo that deal.)

Abacab

• Getbig III
Re: Oddity: bodybuilding in real news -- Mr. Olympia Sued...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »
How can Ultimate afford that kind of dough? I never see any of their supplements in stores or promoted online. Are they big outside of the US market?

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:36:17 PM »
How can Ultimate afford that kind of dough? I never see any of their supplements in stores or promoted online. Are they big outside of the US market?

Lol I thought it was sad that the biggest event for the industry only got $600k from its primary sponsor.

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
Heads will roll.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:38:47 PM »
I'm never buying anything from that company again. Since trying their "coffee" flavored gainer that tasted EXACTLY like play doh, OH fuck them...

It even smelled like play doh.

All their stuff is in the blowout section at a given supplement site in Canada. I don't think they're doing well.
?

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:13:41 PM »
In my 15 years of purchasing snake oil, I never bought an Ultimate Nutrition product once. They need to market their shit better I guess.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:07:49 PM »
Lol I thought it was sad that the biggest event for the industry only got $600k from its primary sponsor.

That gets, what, about a 15 second commercial during the Superbowl?  :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:01 PM »
I'm never buying anything from that company again. Since trying their "coffee" flavored gainer that tasted EXACTLY like play doh, OH fuck them...

hey man, some of us like the taste of play-doh.  Salty & oily like prejudging in October.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »
55,000 people attended the O last year. The New Orleans arena only holds about 10,000 or so?

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 03:01:35 AM »
55,000 people attended the O last year. The New Orleans arena only holds about 10,000 or so?
Every time a person "visits" a booth at the Olympia expo is counted as a "visitor" for publicity sake.

Stormcloud

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 03:32:35 AM »

Can you believe anything from these guys. Look at this bold face statement which no one believes.

The top executive at Ultimate Nutrition Inc., which makes protein powder for bodybuilders, says he destroyed millions of dollars of the shake supplement ingredients and other raw materials before putting the company into bankruptcy last year.

Executives at TD Bank N.A., which has been fighting the Connecticut company over a $13 million loan, don’t believe it.

As a battle between the company and the bank escalated last fall, Chief Executive Brian Rubino says he went to Ultimate Nutrition’s warehouse and got rid of roughly 40% of company’s bank-monitored inventory because of its “unsaleability,” according to documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Hartford. That move cost the company $3.8 million.

Bank officials are calling for an investigation into what happened to the ingredients, speculating in recent court papers that they might have been “moved off site.” Perhaps the ingredients never existed in the first place but were used to “pump up” the company’s financial statements—a move that would have enabled Ultimate Nutrition to get access to a bigger loan, bank officials said.

As part of the borrowing agreement between Ultimate Nutrition and the bank, Ultimate Nutrition officials were required to report—under oath—the value of its inventory each month. That value helped determine how much borrowed money it could spend.

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2015/08/27/the-case-of-the-missing-bodybuilding-shake-ingredients/

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: Ultimate Nutrition suing the Mr. Olympia organization
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 03:45:52 AM »

The company behind the Mr. Olympia bodybuilding competition told a Connecticut bankruptcy judge Wednesday that its bankrupt sponsor Ultimate Nutrition Inc. can’t justify an injunction that would bar other branding deals, arguing its sponsorship sales this year were perfectly permissible and have already wrapped up.

Mr. Olympia LLC said that dietary supplement company Ultimate Nutrition had no basis for its Monday adversary complaint, which accused Mr. Olympia of violating the debtor’s “exclusive title sponsor” status and sought an injunction to block the alleged breaches of contract....

http://www.law360.com/commercialcontracts/articles/698180/mr-olympia-slams-bankrupt-nutrition-co-in-branding-row-

insider

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 04:49:00 AM »

They are very big internationally
I know, you don't

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
Re: Ultimate Nutrition suing the Mr. Olympia organization
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 05:31:26 AM »
So the Olympia sells Ultimate an exclusive title sponsorship for 600k and then sells basically the same thing to Amazon? Shady as fuck.