Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422159 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #575 on: July 08, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
Trained chest and bicep.  After I ran a super slow two mile on a soft treadmill. Really just a slow shuffle. Achilles isn't healed but I hope I didn't add to the damage. A couple more weeks of this I'm going to an Orthopedic surgeon for xrays and a MRI. Afraid of the results. Coming back from an Achilles operation at my age is going to be hell to come back from. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #576 on: July 09, 2019, 05:41:39 AM »
You need to get serious about letting the leg heal.

So far you have not.

Case in point: Riding 7 miles on mountain bike

What do you think a doctor would advise you?  

Do you think he would tell you to ride 7 miles on rough trails on a mountain bike with an injured Achilles tendon?

Would he tell you to run 2 miles on a treadmill with an injured Achilles tendon?

You are going to a surgeon for an MRI who might recommend surgery and a LENGTHY convalescence, yet you are not willing to take a month or two off from training to just rest.

Think about it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #577 on: July 09, 2019, 06:32:27 PM »
Trained legs today. Went back to the barbell squat today.  Felt a little awkward since I haven't been doing them for awhile. The weight used was light.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #578 on: July 10, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
Ran two slow miles at 9:30 pace. Used brand new running shoes that are stability rated to stop pronation.  Hit the heavy bag after as usual on cardio day.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #579 on: July 11, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
Back day:

Pulldowns with a M.A.G bar 1 x 14 140lbs ( upright back. No lean back to make it a row. Touched chest each rep and full extension)
Seated lat cable rows 1 x 14 180lbs ( All the way out and back)
Dumbbell rows with knee on bench 1 x 12 90lbs ( Full extension and all the way up with a controlled cadence)
Hammer pulldown 1 x 13
Deadlifts 1 x 6 315lbs (I like deadlifts after lats. I'm all warmed up and prefatigued so it limits the weight used. Learn that from Yates. I know most do deadlifts first on back day)
Weighted hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind head.
Ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
Ab crunch machine  1 x 20 150lbs ( I know weight is meaningless from machine to machine.)

Tomorrow is delts and triceps.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #580 on: July 12, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »
Delt and triceps:

Military clean and press 1 x 9 115lbs. (all the way down. No half reps.)
Dumbbell delt laterals 1 x 14 30lbs
Machine delt laterals 1 x 12 80lbs
Rear delt machine 1 x 12 90lbs
Barbell shrugs 1 x 14 250lbs ( controlled cadence all the way up and down. I could put 315lbs like most people and do seizure partial shrugs)

Traditional tricep pushdowns 1 x 18 (stack. The stack isn't that impressive. Might be 80lbs on my friction ridden home unit)
Reverse grip single arm tricep extension 1 x 13 40lbs
Triceps machine 1 x 16 100lbs
Dips 1 x 10 bodyweight ( dug deep. So many are doing these partials. I don't get it. Bodybuilding is such bullshit. Do an exercise the hardest way to stress your muscle to adaptation. Never stroke your ego by doing an exercise the easiest way to use a big weight)

Ab coaster 1 x 41 60lbs
Ab crunch machine 1 x 22 150lbs

Ran one mile in the park and it was close to a humid 90 degrees. I completed the lifting portion in about 30 minutes. I was shot doing it so quick.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #581 on: July 13, 2019, 05:09:49 PM »
Ran two miles at 6AM before work. It was warm and I was dripping sweat.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2019, 04:22:43 AM »
Trained back and chest: The commercial gym's AC was broken. I noticed it was hot but never realized the AC was off. Had a really tough workout drenched in sweat. My hands were so wet even with chalk I had trouble gripping the bar for deadlifts.  At the end the owner said, I forgot to tell you the AC is out. Felt out of it most of the day after. I thought I was just having a bad workout day due to the fatigue of the weekend and two pool parties.  Thought the gym looked pretty empty.

Had one gym observation. One young guy around my size is getting ready for competition.  He looks great but not overly huge. What he has is freaky strength for someone that is around 190lbs. His last set in benching with perfect from he had 365lbs on the bar benching it like it was nothing. I've seen all the big guys with barrel chests and wide grip pushing 400lbs plus essentially pushing the bar 12 inches off their chest. This guy was pushing the bar over 24 inches off his chest. Thought the guy was a beast for his weight.

Leg after close to 8 weeks is finally getting better. Still not right but much better. I will baby it with slow runs now. I gain weight really fast without cardio. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #583 on: July 17, 2019, 06:06:36 AM »
Ran two slow miles yesterday. Brutally hot.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #584 on: July 17, 2019, 07:31:04 AM »
Trained back and chest: The commercial gym's AC was broken. I noticed it was hot but never realized the AC was off. Had a really tough workout drenched in sweat. My hands were so wet even with chalk I had trouble gripping the bar for deadlifts.  At the end the owner said, I forgot to tell you the AC is out. Felt out of it most of the day after. I thought I was just having a bad workout day due to the fatigue of the weekend and two pool parties.  Thought the gym looked pretty empty.

Had one gym observation. One young guy around my size is getting ready for competition.  He looks great but not overly huge. What he has is freaky strength for someone that is around 190lbs. His last set in benching with perfect from he had 365lbs on the bar benching it like it was nothing. I've seen all the big guys with barrel chests and wide grip pushing 400lbs plus essentially pushing the bar 12 inches off their chest. This guy was pushing the bar over 24 inches off his chest. Thought the guy was a beast for his weight.

Leg after close to 8 weeks is finally getting better. Still not right but much better. I will baby it with slow runs now. I gain weight really fast without cardio. 

Glad to hear your leg is improving.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #585 on: July 17, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
Glad to hear your leg is improving.

Thanks, slowly but finally going in a good direction. Still can't run fast or too long.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #586 on: July 17, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
Leg day: My membership in the commercial gym has run out. Good excuse to stay at home and train for awhile. Nursing a sore calf.

Leg Press 2 x 12 410lbs (I do something few trainers do. I fully bend my legs with the leg press. My tibia and fibula come really close to my femur. Yates got a good bend when he leg presses. I could pile on the plates and have the back board high and call it a "full" rep when my knees contact my body but that's not bending the leg. I always sacrifice weight used by making an exercise harder so I'm working the muscle hard and not stroking  my ego.)
Squats 2 x 8 225lbs-250lbs Using a light weight and sinking it. Trying to be mindful of my Achilles.
Stiff leg deads 2 x 6 205lbs
leg extension 2 x 20
Seated leg curl 2 x 15-13 reps (Used too much weight and couldn't get 15 reps on the second set)
No weight body squats 1 x 55 (sank each rep. Didn't flop down into the negative like a cross fitter. These are gold)

One dumbbell side bend 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 22
On back on floor hip raise with feet pointing toward the ceiling 1 x 25

Leg press calf 2 x 25 (slightly hurt then the pain seemed to alleviate somewhat. )
Seated calf raise 2 x 15 90lbs ( no pain with them.)
Stretched the calves out after

Neck training one set per side with a neck helmet.

Really hot in NJ.  About 95 and really humid. In my basement gym it was about 70 degrees I estimate and I was sweating like crazy. Normally the basement is cool. After the workout I floated in the pool for about an hour. I don't think I can get any darker. Starting to look weird with so much tan.  Fall will be hear soon enough and I will be pale again.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #587 on: July 18, 2019, 10:51:40 AM »
Achilles feels 85% there. Just hobbled for two months. I thought for sure I  partially tore it. Now I think it was a very minor tear but a severe inflammation response. My father and sister suffered from really bad arthritis.  I think as I age I have that severe inflammation response to injuries.

Anyway I ran two miles today.  A young guy joined me on the trail in front of me. Maybe between 21 and 25.  I tried like hell to keep up with him foolishly.  It's just my nature.  I couldn't catch him but he never got too far in front of me. At the end I looked at my time for the two miles and while I wasn't setting the world on fire I was very pleased to run sub 9 minutes miles. First time in two months I felt like I was back in the running game. Looking forward to improving but I will take it very slowly.  I don't need that damn Achilles to swell up again.

Hit the heavy bag as usual after.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #588 on: July 19, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »
Delt and arms:

Standing dumbbell press 2 x 10 50lbs ( all the way down.I can take 80lbs sit down in a bench and slide my ass out to make it a partial incline press and do half reps. I think the way I do it is more stressful on the delts.)
Dumbbell delt lateral raises 2 x 10 30lbs ( I do them like Arnold and Franco. I go high. It has come into fashion to to partials)
Single arm pulley delt raises 1 x10
Rear delt raises on a bench 2 x 12 35lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs ( Again continuing with the theme of make an exercise harder and not easier I attempt to get the best range of motion sacrificing weight)

Seated two arm one dumbbell tricep extension 2 x 12 75lbs ( dug low. I have some arthritis in my elbow. I do what I can with the range)
Rope tricep extensions 2 x 12
Reverse grip one arm pulley triceps extention 2 x 12
Body weight dips 1 x max

EZ curls 2 x 10 95lbs
Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Concentration curls 2 x 17 ( Pump set)

Barbell wrist curls 2 x 20 95lbs
Reverse grip wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted  crunches 1 x 55 10lbs behind head
Pulley crunches 1 x 40

Enjoyed the solitude working out in my basement gym. I like controlling the music too. Sounds like way out there stuff by I felt I was in a zone. No distractions. Just training. Felt almost like meditation. Now I have to clean the pool.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #589 on: July 20, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
Woke up early and ran two easy miles. I then went to work. After it was 98 in NJ. Floated in the pool drinking German beer. Enjoyed myself a bit too much. Drying out tomorrow. Soon I think I can start picking up the cardio intensity.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #590 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:15 PM »
Chest and bicep during one set to failure per exercise.

Dumbbell bench 1 x 8 80lbs (all the way down. No stopping when the upper arm is parallel to the ground. )
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 9 70lbs
Dumbbell flies 1 x 15 50lbs
Push ups 1 x max

EZ curl 1 x 15 90lbs
Alternate dumbbell curl 1 x 10 45lbs
Pulley bar curl 1 x 12
Concentration curl 1 x 11

Wrist curls 1 x 27 95lbs
Reverse wrist extensions 1 x 20

Incline situps 1 x 30
Floor crunches 1 x 50 with a 10lbs plate behind head
Pulley crunches 1 x 40

Ivanko gripper 2 x 20

Planned on running after but I had to mow, weed whack and blow the lawn.  It's over 95 degrees here. I was done after.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #591 on: July 23, 2019, 04:28:39 PM »
Leg day.  Did my usual but dropped the body weight squats I'm so fond of. Started to have knee problems and this exercise was the only thing new in my routine. Dropped it and the knee felt better. Maybe it's the high reps. Maybe I wasn't aware I was twisting on the way down tweaking it. Just noticed my knee was getting worse and worse. The only thing new in the leg routine was free hand squats that I added a couple of months ago. I might add them back in the future but for now giving my bad left knee a break.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #592 on: July 24, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
Cardio day but I bailed. Long work day and I just said fuck it. Sometimes that's exactly what you need to do. Tomorrow is back. I hope to kill it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #593 on: July 24, 2019, 11:40:15 PM »
Cardio day but I bailed. Long work day and I just said fuck it. Sometimes that's exactly what you need to do. Tomorrow is back. I hope to kill it.

Thought you were retired.  I am just kidding you. It was a long hard day for me as well. I decided to buy new cookware...took most of the day. Gym maņana.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #594 on: July 25, 2019, 06:29:21 PM »
Thought you were retired.  I am just kidding you. It was a long hard day for me as well. I decided to buy new cookware...took most of the day. Gym maņana.

I am retired. I don't consider my part time job as being employed. It's not a career but something to supplement my retirement. I work three times a week, sometimes four. So 14 hours to 20 hours a week.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #595 on: July 25, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
Trained back today.  I think I need a break from deadlifting. Going to take a page from Ironate and use power cleans. Going light but I think my back needs a break from the grinding deadlifts. Going to begin light to hopefully get into the groove of Power cleans. I have done any in long time if you don't count the clean and press.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #596 on: July 26, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
Trained delt and tricep. One work set to failure after warm up. Workout took about 40 minutes. Training to failure is getting old. Going to make a change to working out this coming Monday. Not sure what I will be doing. Going to float in the pool now and look at the sky.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #597 on: July 28, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
Excited about the new training week tomorrow. Going to give emphasis to  running since my Achilles is about 85% good. After two plus months of pain I'm happy with that. Going on a new direction. I will train the whole body in one training session. Monday and Friday though the days aren't written in stone. So Monday and Friday is lifting. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday will be running. I will also cut my beer consumption. Damn I love beer but I'm gaining too much weight. I still look good but I think it would be better for my health if I was lighter.

I'm going to lift light at the beginning of the 6 workouts cycle. I will compensate for the low weight by doing the reps slowly with a full range of motion. Every workout will be progressively harder. At the sixth workout I will be working out hard. I will either continue  the whole body routines with completely new exercises for an additional 6 workouts or go back to what I normally do.  

The intensity parameters will be something like this. Lifting for the whole body Monday and Friday. Six lifting workouts. So it will be a three week cycle. Six increases of weight. I will pick a goal weight for workout 6 then back off 5lbs to 10lbs each workout. So workout one might be 175lbs., workout two is 185lbs, workout three 195, and so on to workout six my goal weight of 225lbs. Since 175lbs isn't that taxing I will make up for it with slow reps. I know this sounds confusing but hopefully I didn't make it sound like rocket science.  ;D The goal weight is actually be a weight I'm capable of using right now but I know the running will weaken me somewhat. Like I said I want to be a better runner for awhile and let lifting take a back seat.

On running days I will hit the bag and do body weight exercises.

The best laid plans often don't work out for me but I will see where this takes me.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #598 on: July 29, 2019, 03:59:27 AM »
Sounds like a plan.

Have fun!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #599 on: July 29, 2019, 11:38:10 AM »
Monday 7-29-19 workout. Super light and almost slo mo reps. Haven't use a whole body routine in ages. My goal is to start very light.  Use a full range of motion and a slow cadence. Not quite super slo mo reps but slow. You can laugh at the weights I'm using but again it's a break in period and slower than normal reps.

Power clean and jerks  3 x 3 135-140-145lbs then 1 x 1 160lbs

Olympic squats 2x 8 205lbs then 1 x 1 225lbs ( went down really slow)
Lunges 1 x 8 45lbs

Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 55lbs (yes, a baby weight. Slow and all the way down. Feels good not going to failure like I normally do)

Chins 4 x 3 (had real problems going from a dead hang to touching the bar almost to the upper chest in a slow cadence. Elbows all the way down)
Seated lat cable row 2 x 12 145lbs (It was easy but again this is a break in period for whole body routines for me.)

Military press 2 x 8 90lbs (touched the bar to the upper chest region each rep. Stayed upright. Nice and slow reps)
Dumbbbell lateral delt raise 2 x 10 20lbs

Dips 2 x 10 bodyweight. dug deep.

Barbell curls 2 x 10 70lbs

Hanging straight leg raises 2 x 15

Leg press calf 2 x 15 225lbs

Back hyper extensions 2 x15 5lbs plate behind head

Neck work with a neck helmet

Felt good not going to failure, almost refreshed. I hope I have a good run tomorrow. I will do some body weight stuff after. Next weight workout will be Friday.  I will slowly bring up the intensity. Lifting twice a week and so it will be a three week cycle.  After six weight  workouts I will either start again with a completely revamped whole body routine or ditch it for my usual routines.