Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421699 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »
Did cardio today but trying to not kill my self into the ground with cardio.  I did 8  x quarter miles at an easy pace. Usually I use a 200 meter fast walk in between but today used a full quarter mile walk for recovery between sets. The long slow cardio like running 5 plus miles made me feel like hell when combined with hard lifting. Funny but if I just ran for a couple of weeks I would feel great doing it but combined with lifting is just to much for my mind and body. Realized I have to get more sleep too. Between lifting, running and working it was just breaking myself down. Tomorrow is leg day. I will do legs and nothing else.

1 x quarter mile 440 yards at 8:30 minute mile pace
1 x quarter mile 8:15 pace
1 x quarter mile 8:00 pace
1 x quarter mile 7:42 pace
1 x quarter mile 7:18 pace
1 x quarter mile 7:18 pace
1 x quarter mile 7:00 pace
1 x quarter mile 6:40 pace  (9 MPH)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2019, 02:58:56 PM »
Trained legs. Then took the dog for a one mile hike in the woods around a lake. I had rubber legs walking around those woods. I had to cross two streams that have make shift log bridges someone built. They are slippery and very unstable. The dog with his four wheel drive legs had no trouble. Me, I was slipping and sliding over the wet wood. I rarely see anyone on this trail around this lake by my house. Today in the snow I saw big boot prints on the trail I take. Normally the prints I see are deer prints. It's so isolated.  My daughter's dog weighs about 20lbs and is useless as protection. Really fun dog though.  At one point the dog was so happy to be outside. He was running in circles and doing flips.  To access this lake you have to walk in between houses.  It's like walking into the twilight zone. One minute you're in a residential neighborhood in NJ and the next you're in the woods in with deer, foxes, snakes, turtles, hawks and geese. Every once in awhile I find an item like a sock on the ground.  Who is in the woods and decides they feel like getting rid of one sock?  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #352 on: January 17, 2019, 07:24:34 PM »
Did jack today. Friend's 90 something father took the family car and went missing. Spent the morning looking for him. Cops were tracking his car through toll plaza's.  He was found after a couple of hours. No training today. Went to work and truth be told I needed the time off.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #353 on: January 17, 2019, 07:40:34 PM »
Did jack today. Friend's 90 something father took the family car and went missing. Spent the morning looking for him. Cops were tracking his car through toll plaza's.  He was found after a couple of hours. No training today. Went to work and truth be told I needed the time off.

Sometimes the Fates conspire to force the rest we need upon us.  This seems to be one of those times, my friend.   :)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #354 on: January 18, 2019, 04:56:15 AM »
Every sock has a story.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #355 on: January 18, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
Trained delts and arms: Did somewhat the usual.

Military clean and press 2 x 8 115 (all the way down with the bar to the upper chest. Back upright.)
dumbbell lat raises 2 x 10 30lbs
Single arm pulley delt laterals 1 x 12
Rear delt laterals 2x10 35lbs
Some rotator work
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (went deep)
tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
reverse grip single arm tricep with a D ring handle 2 x 12

EZ barbell curl 2 x 10 90lbs
Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 40lbs
Concentration curls 2 x 12

Forearm wrist curl 2 x 20 95lbs
Reverse wrist extensions 2 x 15

weighted crunches 1x 55 5lbs plate behind head
Pulley crunches 2 x 25

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #356 on: January 18, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
Every sock has a story.

Doing laundry as I type this. Came up with an odd number of socks from the dryer I was pissed but my daughter said the dryer never takes a sock. It gives you a bonus sock. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #357 on: January 19, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
Did nothing today. Went to work and at dinner time took the wife to a seriously good Italian restaurant. There was a line out the door prior to opening. Drank an Italian red and had seafood over pasta with an incredible Marechiara sauce that originated in Naples. NY and NJ has the most incredible food. You want Italian food. Plenty of restaurants owned by real Italians. Want Portuguese food there might be 20 restaurants owned and run by Portuguese people. I could go on with every ethnicity.  Went to an expensive Italian restaurant in South Carolina. It was ketchup on pasta. Pure garbage. No garlic at all.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: January 19, 2019, 05:53:04 PM »
Sounds good.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #359 on: January 19, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »
Trained delts and arms: Did somewhat the usual.

Military clean and press 2 x 8 115 (all the way down with the bar to the upper chest. Back upright.)
dumbbell lat raises 2 x 10 30lbs
Single arm pulley delt laterals 1 x 12
Rear delt laterals 2x10 35lbs
Some rotator work
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs

tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
reverse grip single arm tricep with a D ring handle 2 x 12

EZ barbell curl 2 x 10 90lbs
Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 40lbs
Concentration curls 2 x 12

Forearm wrist curl 2 x 20 95lbs
Reverse wrist extensions 2 x 15

weighted crunches 1x 55 5lbs plate behind head
Pulley crunches 2 x 25

Good job, brother!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2019, 04:45:44 AM »
Thanks Scott.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
A thread about something called feeder sets on the main board. I think IronNat remembers as I do that this was called muscle spinning in the 60's.  Anyway,  it's a day off of training so I figure I can play around with this. First I did 100 reps with 10lbs in dumbbell curls. I curled both dumbbells at the same time. Next up was dumbbell tricep extensions. I laid down on a bench  with my palms facing each other. With the ten pound dumbbells I started and had to stop at around 55 reps or so. Took a couple of breaths and got back to it getting to 100 reps. Then I did hammer curls with the two dumbbells curling both at the same time. Let me tell you that the ten pound weight felt like it was million pounds after awhile. Can't deny the pump. My low set protocol doesn't give me anywhere near this pump.  I even measured my little arms afterward. LOL.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #362 on: January 21, 2019, 01:18:12 PM »
Trained back and chest today: 

Pulldowns with a mag supinate bar 2 x 10
Seated lat pulley pulls with a V handle 2 x 12 175lbs (all the way out and back)
Single dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs (all the way out and back)
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 75lbs (all the way down)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 65lbs ( Bad shoulder didn't protest too bad)
Flies 2 x 10 50lbs
Push ups 2 x max ( one conventional and one with perfect push up handles)

dead lift 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 325lbs 
Weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 21
ab pulley crunches 2 x 25

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #363 on: January 22, 2019, 09:04:52 AM »
Ran 4 x half miles. Ran them fairly slow and felt my left hamstring tighten. I was going for 6 x half miles but I felt I was close to pulling a hamstring. I quit and hit the heavy bag.  I stretched the hamstring out. Didn't realize how tight I was. I think that my cardio is going to consist of walking for a week or two. I don't need a pulled hamstring that might put me out of cardio for weeks or months. I ran track in high school and college. My sprinting career was over with a hamstring pull. Never got back to that speed again. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: January 22, 2019, 03:25:45 PM »
Yes I am. What's more important is that I can see the difference in the mirror. Again not a bodybuilder. I don't use bodybuilding drugs.  Too tired to run today. Going to see if I can wake up prior to work tomorrow and get the run in. I'm so out of it in the early morning for physical exercise. I don't know how Bill Pearl did it. He rose at 4 AM to train. Must have had a lot of warm ups to get into the groove. Going to start my 5.25 mile run tomorrow with a couple of slow 10 minute miles to wake myself up.

When you are too tired to run, walk. According to the website www.caloriesperhour.com, a 200 pound man would burn 113 calories walking 1 mile at a pace of 4 miles per hour (total exercise duration = 15 minutes).

Ever hear or read about biological clocks. Apparently, different people have different internal clocks. This can affect how long and when we sleep. Our biological clocks drive our circadian rhythms. These internal clocks are groupings of interacting molecules in cells throughout the body. A “master clock” in the brain coordinates all the body clocks so that they are in synch.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2019, 12:58:18 PM »
I have one sore hamstring from yesterday.  Trained legs today. When I got to stiff leg deadlifts for the hamstring I saw stars. I'm glad I didn't push the running yesterday or I would have ripped it. Prime gave good advice. Going on a walking kick for awhile for cardio.  One time I was training for charity cardio 5K. I injured my calf. For ten days before the race all I did was walk fast for 5 miles a day. The day of the race I warmed up with some hundred yard  strides.  I ran the race with little pain and posted a decent time considering the injury.

Walking fast is one best kept secrets.  Young guys thinks it's a joke but it is truly one of the best exercises going.  Here's another secret. Hiking and military Rucking is walking.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: January 24, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
dont know about shoulders but i had some elbow problems and i feel using this handle on lat pulldown works very well (thinking of it i assume thats what you guys meant when talking about the v bar, duh!) anyway, lots of handles out there worth experimenting with can make a world of difference working it from a different angle

or use old fashioned wrist straps, take the thumb out of the movement and it changes the angle of attack
X

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2019, 07:59:16 AM »
or use old fashioned wrist straps, take the thumb out of the movement and it changes the angle of attack

Try this M.A.G. bar.  I had problems with my bicep and shoulder. Zero problems with this.  Best pulldown and row bars made. I was very skeptical when I bought it but it was a home run. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »
Delt and arm day:

Standing dumbbell press 2 x 10 50lbs (all the way down. Easily could use 70lbs plus if I sat and only went down till my upper arm was parallel to the floor. I always try to do an exercise in the hardest way that physics 101 would prove it's more work.)
Dumbbell delt lateral 2 x 10 30lbs
Single arm delt pulley lateral with a D handle 1 x 10
Rear delt lateral 2 x 10 35lbs
Barbell shrug 2 x 10 250lbs

Two hand single dumbbell extensions 2 x 10 75lbs
Rope push downs 2 x 12
Single dumbbell behind head extension 1 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Rope thumbs up curl 2 x 10
Single dumbbell scott 2 x 10
Concentration curl 1 x 18 reps with a light weight

wrist curls 2 x 20 95lbs
reverse wrist extension 2 x 15 ( used a DART Shin muscle contraption. Found it's excellent for reverse wrist extensions.

Floor crunches with feet up on a bench 1 x 50 10lbs plate behind my head
Pulley crunches 2 x 25

Drank a disgusting vegetable protein drink after.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
Taking a week off training. Feel like I'm coming down with something. No cardio and no lifting. Mentally I feel like crap. I have a knee giving me problems along with a hamstring. I have other tweaks in the injury department. I have truly trained for well over 6 months without missing a week. Time for some down time. I have some ideas for when I come back that I'm excited about. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: January 28, 2019, 03:45:27 AM »
Taking a week off training. Feel like I'm coming down with something. No cardio and no lifting. Mentally I feel like crap. I have a knee giving me problems along with a hamstring. I have other tweaks in the injury department. I have truly trained for well over 6 months without missing a week. Time for some down time. I have some ideas for when I come back that I'm excited about. 

Sound thinking.

Lots of viruses going around.  Wife has been sick for about 10 days.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
I got bronchitis, chills, cough and aches.  Really broken down. LOL.  Sitting on my ass vegetating all day. Had to get out of the house so I walked the dog in the woods. Came back wheezing from the cold.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: January 31, 2019, 05:21:02 AM »
I got bronchitis, chills, cough and aches.  Really broken down. LOL.  Sitting on my ass vegetating all day. Had to get out of the house so I walked the dog in the woods. Came back wheezing from the cold.

That sucks.

Be careful you don't get pneumonia.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »
That sucks.

Be careful you don't get pneumonia.

Had an x-ray. No pneumonia. I had pneumonia one time in my life and would have sworn I had it again.  Just bronchitis. Still sick as dog.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »
Had an x-ray. No pneumonia. I had pneumonia one time in my life and would have sworn I had it again.  Just bronchitis. Still sick as dog.

I first had pneumonia as an infant. Every cold has turned into bronchitis since then. My doctor explained that once you get pneumonia you become more susceptible to it. This happens infrequently, but if I get a cold and cannot shake it within a few days, I head to the doctor who prescribes antibiotics. He refers to it as bacterial pneumonia. Wish I knew this growing up and as a young adult because when left to take it's course, I'm hacking for at least three months.

Not sure if it's related, but I also have asthma which causes me to get short of breath more easily. Fortunately, I only had one critical episode asthma attack, requiring emergency hospital care and that was when I was a teenager. On the other hand, I've never knowingly had the flu or its symptoms.

It's currently 19 degrees F in Newark, NJ. Walking your dog in the woods might not be the best idea. At least you don't live in Minneapolis where my niece and her husband do. It is five degrees cooler than Newark. -Up a bit from earlier this week.